When will the 24-105 f4 be Updated? Ever?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Bassman2003
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?
When will the 24-105 f4 be Updated? Ever?
8 months ago

Hello,

Just up for conversation.  I look at the 24-105 f4 and see one of the most useful lenses that you can have in your bag yet it is also one the most middle of the road image quality "L" lenses Canon makes.  I would happily pay their large upgrade price to get a tack sharp, lower distortion version.

Do they think it would hurt sales of other lenses?

I have taken a lot of great photos with this lens, but I think it can be so much better.  Anybody else think this?

Tuckerpup
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?
Re: When will the 24-105 f4 be Updated? Ever?
In reply to Bassman2003, 8 months ago

The 24-105 was my first L-series lens and I couldn't believe the upgrade from the kit lenses I had. Since then I've only bought L-Series lenses (it's hard to go back). That's just it - the 24-105 is the 'gateway drug' to get you hooked on the harder stuff!!

Tuckerpup's gear list:Tuckerpup's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851
Like?
more than a year agao: 24-70 f/4 IS

Bassman2003 wrote:

Hello,

Just up for conversation. I look at the 24-105 f4 and see one of the most useful lenses that you can have in your bag yet it is also one the most middle of the road image quality "L" lenses Canon makes. I would happily pay their large upgrade price to get a tack sharp, lower distortion version.

I have taken a lot of great photos with this lens, but I think it can be so much better. Anybody else think this?

ed rader
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,107
Like?
good point ......nt
In reply to bronxbombers4, 8 months ago
ed rader
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,107
Like?
canon sells billions of 24-105Ls.......

and i'll bet most people are happy with it.  I was an early adopter of the 24-105L and after a brief honeymoon I've never really cared for the lens because it's too compromised at the ends and not particularly sharp wide open....especially at 105mm.  the 24-70L II was the answer to my dreams and there's also the 24-70L f4 IS.

Bassman2003
Like?
Re: more than a year agao: 24-70 f/4 IS
In reply to bronxbombers4, 8 months ago

I would have to disagree with the 24-70mm as being a replacement for the 24-105mm.  Yes, Canon can state that it is close and fills a gap but 70-105mm is a very useful range to have onboard without a lens change.

My point is that they can keep selling the original 24-105mm and come out with new, better version for more money and I bet a lot of us would pay it to get rid of the compromises.

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,635Gear list
Like?
Canon did good on this one

Lets see, Sigma priced theirs to be a bit more costly than the 24-105L's dirt cheap street price, and it weighs more, and is not weather sealed.  Worse yet, it is *not* a tack sharp super zoom and neither is the Canon.  LensRentals found it to be on par and they really are one of the best in reviewing lenses due to high sampling and ridiculous amount of optical test gear.

In a word, if the Sigma 24-105 is only competitive, slightly heavier, not weather sealed, and costs a bit more.  But the Sigma 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 *stomp* the competition, than its a pretty good indicator that Canon did a stellar job years ago.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,921Gear list
Like?

Bassman2003 wrote:

I would have to disagree with the 24-70mm as being a replacement for the 24-105mm. Yes, Canon can state that it is close and fills a gap but 70-105mm is a very useful range to have onboard without a lens change.

My point is that they can keep selling the original 24-105mm and come out with new, better version for more money and I bet a lot of us would pay it to get rid of the compromises.

The biggest compromise would be the 4x + zoom range.  You can say 24-70 fixed that too,

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
birdbrain
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,390Gear list
Like?

Probably after Canon upgrade the 100-400!

So we have a long wait

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
Rad Encarnacion
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?

Bassman2003 wrote:

I would have to disagree with the 24-70mm as being a replacement for the 24-105mm. Yes, Canon can state that it is close and fills a gap but 70-105mm is a very useful range to have onboard without a lens change.

But then most of you would never buy a 24-70, and some of you would second-guess the purchase of a 70-200.

Do you understand now?

Rad Encarnacion's gear list:Rad Encarnacion's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
dresner
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
Re: canon sells billions of 24-105Ls.......
In reply to ed rader, 8 months ago

ed rader wrote:

and i'll bet most people are happy with it. I was an early adopter of the 24-105L and after a brief honeymoon I've never really cared for the lens because it's too compromised at the ends and not particularly sharp wide open....especially at 105mm. the 24-70L II was the answer to my dreams and there's also the 24-70L f4 IS.

The 24-70 f2.8 is a great lens, but very worried about not having IS for handheld shots, which are most of my shots.

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Sigma already did: 24-105 / 4 OS "Art" (nt)

Bassman2003 wrote:

Hello,

Just up for conversation. I look at the 24-105 f4 and see one of the most useful lenses that you can have in your bag yet it is also one the most middle of the road image quality "L" lenses Canon makes. I would happily pay their large upgrade price to get a tack sharp, lower distortion version.

I have taken a lot of great photos with this lens, but I think it can be so much better. Anybody else think this?

RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?

Bassman2003 wrote:

I recently bought a 24~70/4IS, not as a replacement for my 24~105 but as an alternative, and I use either one as appropriate. I usually carry a 70~200/4IS, so the limitation to 70mm is not a problem. The 24~70/4IS is significantly better optically at the ends of its range (especially at 24mm), and (according to quantitative tests) comparable at 50mm. The main attraction for me, however, is the close-up/macro capability, for occasions when I may want to take close-ups but do not want to carry a separate macro lens. The focus shift at 70mm MFD is a bit of a nuisance, but the same framing can be achieved in the MACRO range with little if any focus shift, which is an acceptable workround. On its introduction the 24~70/4 was seriously over-priced, but appears to have been repositioned to a much more acceptable level.

Bassman2003
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, 8 months ago

Thanks for your replies.  So many think the 24-105mm will be a one and done from Canon.  I hope not.  Many version II lenses are so much better than the original at twice the price.

About purchase decisions...  I own the 24-105mm and the 70-200mm.  I will always own the 70-200mm but had decide between the 24-70mm and the 24-105mm.  The presence of an updated 24-105mm would not sway me away from the 70-200mm.  My point being, Canon is only going to get me to buy one of the three - 24-70 f2.8, 24-70 f4 or 24-105 f4.  Why not make a better more expensive version of the 24-105mm to get folks like me to upgrade?

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,510Gear list
Like?

Probably not any time soon.  The lens is fairly new in comparison to other L lenses.  The 100-400 has been out for much longer and is in need of updating.  Sadly, it will also mean a huge price jump if recent updates are any indication.

Mark

Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,196Gear list
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, 8 months ago

RS_RS wrote:

The 24~70/4IS is significantly better optically at the ends of its range (especially at 24mm), and (according to quantitative tests) comparable at 50mm.

According to many tests, including TDP, it is actually worse at 50mm.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
M H S
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?

I guess I am just not clever enough to figure out why I should hate my 24-105.

I think it is awesome lens. Very good IQ...I am sure people would have a hard time picking out 24-105 shots from a lineup of shots taking with better loved lenses.

Sharp enough that except for huge prints, or massive on-line zooming you would never know it isn't sharp. The technical differences in sharpness between this lens and the "high class" L lenses is sub-human-threshold at sizes and formats most photos are really viewed at

The cost is almost nothing if bought as a kit with the 6D. I actually think this is the biggest knock against it. Many people (esp. photography hobbbyists) simply can't accept that something inexpensive can be really good. My dad once put some very nice stuff out in front of our house with a sign saying "Free" on it. Nothing happened for two days. He then put out a sign saying "$10" and the stuff was gone in an hour. It's human nature. If we can't really judge for ourselves, we accept cost as a substitute for value.

Ridiculously useful range. Way more useful than stopping at 70mm.

Really good IS

Really good focus speed and accuracy.

Quit reading this forum, go shoot with it and decide for yourself. The only people who hate the lens are on DPR.

M H S's gear list:M H S's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
larryis1
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
In reply to M H S, 8 months ago

Well Said, totally agree with you.  It is refreshing to emerge from picky elitist views to that of the real world where the rubber hits the road.  Thank you!

larryis1's gear list:larryis1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?

Sigma has the new Art 24-105 f4 OS which is 250$ cheaper than the Canon. It doesn't have L lens built but has better IQ. If Canon upgrades the current one it will be more expensive than the one it replaces (like all new Canon lenses) and this could be tricky because it will go in the 24-70 f4 IS territory which it's superior than a 24-105 in terms of sharpness, distortion etc and in the same time it will be much more expensive than the Sigma Art.

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,456
Like?
what body?

The 24-105 shines on FF. The wide angle is truly wide, good resolution match. Regardless, distortion doesn't matter much with lens correction.

The 24-105 is a great travel lens. Making it heavier or more expensive would make it less desirable (which is why I'm not buying the Sigma.) A travel "convenient" 4:1 zoom isn't convenient when heavy and big. If you're at home, use primes or narrower range zooms.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads