Thinking of getting nikon 28-300, How good is it

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Araldite
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
Thinking of getting nikon 28-300, How good is it
7 months ago

Going overseas later in year, thinking of getting this lens, cruising along the rine, castles in the distance as long as riverside shots. Might take a 20 mm or 24 mm for around the towns when I have time to change lens

Thanks

Araldite's gear list:Araldite's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting nikon 28-300, How good is it
In reply to Araldite, 7 months ago

Many threads on this topic; I suggest you do a search.  Your problem that 28 is not wide enough is a common one.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,153Gear list
Like?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53524134

I use one for just this sort of issue.  Not the best quality, but can't beat the versatility for a vacation.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Todd Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, 7 months ago

Had it, loved it on my D700, sold it cause I needed $ for another lens (24-70G f2.8). Now I wish I never would have sold it.
I very happy with the 24-70, but I wish I wouldn't have sold the 28-300 to get it. It's a fantastic lens for general, travel, or light load situations.
I'm on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN right now and wish I had it to use with my D800!
--
Todd

Todd Jones's gear list:Todd Jones's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
axcentphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
In reply to Todd Jones, 7 months ago

A year ago I bought my D800 and since I had little $$$ left for FX lenses, I bought this one. Since then, I have added a few 2.8's to my bag but the trusty old 28-300 still sits on my D800 90% of the time. I currently print up to 24x36 and plan to try for 30x45 prints. I think you will be impressed by this 'little lens'...Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,402
Like?

If you buy one from B&H you have 30 days to return it for full credit. I did this and after testing the lens with my D3 decided to keep it. Much better to use your eyes than the opinions of others. Worst case you have to pay the shipping to send the lens back.

peterclark55
Senior MemberPosts: 2,304
Like?

Very versatile lens and quite adequate quality, see my gallery for sampples, Peter

Giovanni_1968
Senior MemberPosts: 1,289Gear list
Like?
In reply to peterclark55, 7 months ago

Some distortion at the wide end and some softness at the long one, for the rest it's a very good performer for price/range/size, I would take it along a wide fixed focal and the 50mm for dim light shots.

-- hide signature --

Giovanni
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/
FujiS5 Nikon D800 Panasonic L1 shooter

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
nathantw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113
Like?

Araldite wrote:

Going overseas later in year, thinking of getting this lens, cruising along the rine, castles in the distance as long as riverside shots. Might take a 20 mm or 24 mm for around the towns when I have time to change lens

Thanks

It's a really nice lens as long as you keep it at f/8 and lower. If you shoot at f/3.5 and f/5.6 you'll be so disappointed you'll wonder why you bought the lens. It has a hot spot in the middle when shot wide open and it basically looks horrible. However, at f/8 and lower, it's quite nice and sharp as a tack. I did a comparison shot between the 28-300 set at 180mm f/11 and a Hasselblad CFV 180mm f/4 at f/11. The 28-300 was sharper and resolved more detail at 100% pixel peeping. Quite nice. However, medium format lenses were always considered less sharp than their 35mm counterparts, so I was probably seeing that.

Overall, it's a nice lens. I wouldn't give it up. Since there are other threads about 28-300, you may have already seen these pictures I took with the lens. https://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/sets/72157627518315711/

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

Araldite
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for your feedback
In reply to nathantw, 7 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to share some of your photo's, very much appreciated

Araldite's gear list:Araldite's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
SxeHunKA77
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

Ok, so I upgraded to the 16-35mm, 105mm Macro and the 80-400mm. Now I really want to get rid of the 28-300mm, should I or do photographers somehow do see a need to keep this lens in their kit?

SxeHunKA77's gear list:SxeHunKA77's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more
flashdash
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

there are a lot of variations for this lens in the market.

just make sure you have a lens align to calibrate your lenses at your most use focal lengths...

and i was lucky my 28-300 was a good copy. it's quite sharp in the centre, while the extreme corner rather soft at 50-100mm. but at 28-35mm and 120-300mm, the extreme corners are good enough.

i have both 24-120mm f/4vr and 28-300mm.

and for traveling, i often grab this one instead of 24-120.

combined with D800, 28 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, and sometimes 16-35 f4. total only weights 3,1kg (not including the bag:)

flashdash's gear list:flashdash's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +17 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,153Gear list
Like?
In reply to SxeHunKA77, 7 months ago

SxeHunKA77 wrote:

Ok, so I upgraded to the 16-35mm, 105mm Macro and the 80-400mm. Now I really want to get rid of the 28-300mm, should I or do photographers somehow do see a need to keep this lens in their kit?

Yes.  Reduced weight and bulk.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

kanemochi
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

Araldite wrote:

Thanks

I almost did that myself....but went a different route, which ended up being better for me personally, but might not be better for you.
By carrying this lens, but keeping the 24mm in the bag to be able to switch out if 28mm is not wide enough you are covering your bases....BUT....I find that for me personally I use the wide and normal end 90% of the time...and rarely need the long stuff.  So, it would also work to get a zoom that covers more of the wide end and carry an additional lens for the longer end to attach if you need longer
So, another option (the option I chose to go with) is to get a Nikon 24-85mm and a Tamron 70-300 Vc
When I'm walking around, hiking, sight-seeing, etc.........I very very rarely find myself needing anything longer than 85mm.....but I do quite often find myself needing 24mm and something starting at 28mm just wouldn't do for me.
The combination of the two lenses, is still about the same price as the 28-300mm lens......but they are both sharper throughout the entire focal range.
The only disadvantage is weight.....although they are quite a bit lighter than some of the fast zooms like the 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8...the two combined would still be a little more weight than just carrying the 28-300.
However, the advantages are:
1.) You gain the range from 24-28mm that you are missing with the other.

2.) You are getting quite a bit sharper images at every focal length from 24mm-300mm with those two lenses than with the 28mm-300mm.

Now, if you find yourself shooting above 85mm a lot more than I do...so that you are changing back and forth between the two lenses a lot...it might not be worth it....but I gotta say...I've been very happy with this combination as my light travel combo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads