My 58mm f1.4 review (on Df and D4). Shots and experience in the field, not test chart review.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Huckles
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
My 58mm f1.4 review (on Df and D4). Shots and experience in the field, not test chart review.
8 months ago

Hi guys,

after the great response to my Df review, here is a review of the 58mm f1.4.

I have shot thousands of images already with it, mostly at Weddings. So my thoughts were more centred not around if it was better than the existing 50's (or by how much), but how did it compare to my favourite portraiture lens, the 85mm f1.4 G.

There are plenty of reviews out there comparing 50's but this is just an extra opinion.

Enjoy!

V

http://vandang.com.au/photographer/?page_id=6234

Nikon D4 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,985Gear list
Like?
Re: My 58mm f1.4 review (on Df and D4). Shots and experience in the field, not test chart review.
In reply to Huckles, 8 months ago

Very nice work and good to read a review that cares not a whit for pointless test chart results. Thanks for taking the time.

Do you think the AF systems on the D3s/x would be adequate in light of your comments? I imagine so, but interested to know what you think.

I have not seen this lens for sale yet in New Zealand. Nikon NZ told me it was available and about $3,500 but no dealers seem to be listing it yet.

It's such an odd focal length - I can't help but wonder why they did not just make it 60mm!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Huckles
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Re: My 58mm f1.4 review (on Df and D4). Shots and experience in the field, not test chart review.
In reply to MPA1, 8 months ago

It's sweet on the 51 point system. It's not bad per se on the Df but the Df only has the 39 point clusters. $3500 NZ?! That's too much, way too much...

Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?

thanks for posting. your shots -- and perspective -- are very interesting. i also tend to prefer the 58 on a Df, though my uses are much different to yours. in spite of its detractors, i find it to be a very useful -- and fun -- lens.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,077Gear list
Like?

Great review...better than the ones many here follow with near-religious fervor.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,672Gear list
Like?

Being primarily a DX shooter, I don't have a lot of interest in the 58.  I'm glad I read your review though....I'll take a real world review over test charts any day, but most importantly, I REALLY enjoyed your images.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +8 more
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,960Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 8 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

Very nice work and good to read a review that cares not a whit for pointless test chart results. Thanks for taking the time.

Do you think the AF systems on the D3s/x would be adequate in light of your comments? I imagine so, but interested to know what you think.

I have not seen this lens for sale yet in New Zealand. Nikon NZ told me it was available and about $3,500 but no dealers seem to be listing it yet.

It's such an odd focal length - I can't help but wonder why they did not just make it 60mm!

An odd length, but not unheard of.  My first 35mm camera, back in the early 70's, was paired with a 58mm f/1.4 lens.  The latest 58mm Nikkor also makes a nice portrait lens on DX.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665Gear list
Like?
Great review!

Great review.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,705Gear list
Like?

GASP! No test charts or angled rulers? How in God's name are we supposed to know what sort of images it can produce? Oh by the images it produces, imagine that

Thanks for this real world review. This is the difference between a photographer and an engineer doing a lens review.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,006
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, 8 months ago

Nice review and great shots but at $1700 I will take the new Sigma over Nikon. Not even a contest. Sigma all the way.

LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?

Nice photos in the review!

I don't think much of the Nikon crowd knows how to handle a lens that is very specific in its rendering and application at a given focal length. Every lens gets compared for a certain set of tests and everyone wants a winner. The Leica crowd seems to more readily accept that it may make sense to own multiple lenses at a given focal length.

Your 2-3 lens setup is similar to what I've moved to since getting back into Nikon gear:

D4s with 14-24, 58, 105 Macro
RX1 at 35

I should soon be adding the 200 f2 and I'll be pretty well set.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +3 more
msapra85
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

Simple, short and a nice review with beautiful photographs. I like its bokeh and oof object rendering, certainly adds character.
--
~ nowhere near a photographer ~
if you have some time to waste |:)
www.flickr.com/rebelclicks

msapra85's gear list:msapra85's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,297
Like?
Re: Yes

Really excellent examples of just what this lens was made to do.  The community really needed to see these.

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,960
Like?
In reply to amobi, 8 months ago

amobi wrote:

Nice review and great shots but at $1700 I will take the new Sigma over Nikon. Not even a contest. Sigma all the way.

Nice, but at $950 I'll take the 50mm f1.8G over the Sigma.  Not even a contest.  Nikon all the way.

chuhsi
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

Solid review. Thanks for sharing.

I never thought about your lens combo recommendations and am intrigued. Now I'm wondering if I should sell my 24mm and buy a 14-24 I generally use a 24mm and 85mm prime combo. I have a 50mm, but never use it. I just picked up 2 35mm lenses.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
MPA1
Like?

Huckles wrote:

It's sweet on the 51 point system. It's not bad per se on the Df but the Df only has the 39 point clusters. $3500 NZ?! That's too much, way too much...

I agree. But we apparently enjoy being ripped off....!

JayDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

Great review and images, thanks for posting. This is in my wish list for sure.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jay
Images from the mind are surreal!

JayDreamer's gear list:JayDreamer's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical +7 more
MPA1
Like?
In reply to chuhsi, 8 months ago

chuhsi wrote:

Solid review. Thanks for sharing.

I never thought about your lens combo recommendations and am intrigued. Now I'm wondering if I should sell my 24mm and buy a 14-24 I generally use a 24mm and 85mm prime combo. I have a 50mm, but never use it. I just picked up 2 35mm lenses.

I have both the 24 f1.4G and the 14-24.

I like both, although sometimes I wish I had a 17-35 f1.4 zoom instead...!

MPA1
Like?
In reply to amobi, 8 months ago

amobi wrote:

Money isn't everything.

Hasa
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful images and your experience with this lens that is however way out of my leaque. Bokeh looks very, very nice in your pictures.

-- hide signature --

Smile and the world smiles back!

Hasa's gear list:Hasa's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads