Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,191
Like?
Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?
6 months ago

These two m4/3 cameras seem like the two heavyweight rivals from Olymponic, yet the forum get 10 times the talk and traffic regarding the em-1. Why?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,926Gear list
Like?
Sales?
In reply to Cane, 6 months ago
-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does the forum shoot the em-1 and not gx7?

Results?

Cane wrote:

These two m4/3 cameras seem like the two heavyweight rivals from Olymponic, yet the forum get 10 times the talk and traffic regarding the em-1. Why?

jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?

Us GX7 guys are out shooting and the EM-1 guys are all talk?:-)

I don't know, but it does seem there are not that many GX7 posters.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,191
Like?

Cane wrote:

Oly users like to handicap themselves with lesser equipment to show how good they are?

uRebel Rob
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
In reply to jhinkey, 6 months ago

jhinkey wrote:

Us GX7 guys are out shooting and the EM-1 guys are all talk?:-)

+1

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Nikon D5100 +7 more
LifeIsMyLens
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?

Cane wrote:

I don't know... I choose GX7 (and GM1) because I entered m43 with a GF1. I like how Panasonic menus are and how it handles. At the time GF1 became an enthusiastics camera. I can imagine that Olympus buyers are brand loyal as well. Perhaps more beginners chose Olympus small cameras then in stead of Panasonic. When you're used to a certain menu system it's easier to buy within that brand I guess. At least to me that is. I don't like Olympus' menus which I tried so I still am a happy Panasonic shooter! To me the GX7 is a great camera. I bought GM1 first and doubted to purchase GX7 as well. I am glad I did. Both are great cameras for different purposes. And together they make a great pair.

Wanda

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,905Gear list
Like?

Cane wrote:

Having just bought a GX7 to use alongside my E-M1, I'm not sure either. I love it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-micro-four-thirds/210844-liking-gx7-7-14mm-f4.html#post1372369

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?

Cane wrote:

I chose the E-M1 over the GX7 for two reasons:

1. PDAF for sports photography. I wanted to capture my two kids at their sports, they are both coming into their teens, and are performing well in rugby, tag rugby, football, netball, basketball, athletics and skiing! It's proving to be a very wise choice, the focusing rarely lets me down.
  2. Weatherproofing. Although I don't really need it most of the time, when I do, really need it!

As far as ergonomics go. I would have preferred the GX7. My previous camera was an E-PL1 with the tilting VF2. I would prefer the EVF in the corner and tilting, like the GX7, but the other factors were more important to me.

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Matix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,064
Like?
In reply to LifeIsMyLens, 6 months ago

A very loaded question, but for me easy to answer.... my last overseas trip was to the UK, to took the GX7 and GH3, used both most of the time with 7-14mm on the GX7 and 12-35mm on the GH3.  A very enjoyable experience, with just too many keepers... not a bad problem to have.

So, sold the GH3 with the plan to get the GH4 when it arrives as I have pre-ordered one.  While waiting, I picked up an E-M1 as the sales person was so enthusiastic about it, and as you say the majority of posters on this site seem to be talking about it....4 days of Easter to learn and test the E-M1 I thought... 175 images and a lot of learning, programming, set up tweaks, reading on how best t set up for best results.. etc etc.  Now I know why, it is easier to talk about it than use it, IMHO.....

A great camera for sure, but a little too retro for my tastes, too few programmable buttons, and the menu setup is quite daunting.  Likely if I had started with an Olympus I could live with it, but have used several of the Panasonic G cameras, they are a lot easier to set up, and use!!

When I asked a few E-M1 users how to set up a button for the the 4 Myset's, which on a Panasonic are the C1, C2, C3,4 and 5, it was suggested that you can give up one of the Fn buttons for EACH of the 4 Mysets, or use the P,A,S,M or any of the Mode selector options????

The 5 axis Stabilization is brilliant, the JPG colour tones are nice, but other than that, the IQ is so close as to not matter between the two brands, and the ergonomics and feel in the hand is the deal breaker for me.. of course YMMV, and IMHO and all other Subjectivity Cliche's and acronyms...

Sorry Oly people, the E-M1 is a truly brilliant and amazing camera, but so is the GH3, and I hope the GH4.  I am sure now that the E-M1 users can get as much enjoyment from their cameras that I do with my GX7 and GH3 or 4.

Thanks for the chance to answer so many questions....

Phil

-- hide signature --
Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,327
Like?
Olympus has been in quality cameras much longer than Panasonic

Cane wrote:

An interesting point. Olympus cameras in general account for more talk on the forum than Panasonic cameras. I rather doubt that differences in the number of sales can account for this, but I haven't seen the figures.

My own guess is that there are a lot more photographers emotionally attached to Olympus than there are to Panasonic. The reasons for this are largely historical: Olympus made film cameras that were well loved and they acquired a dedicated band of followers soon after the introduction of the first Olympus SLR in the 1970s.

My impression is that some (many?) current contributors to this forum have also used Olympus film cameras before they switched to digital. On the other hand, Panasonic never made film cameras as far as I am aware and have only been making digital ILCs for about 5 years (?), much less time to acquire a dedicated following.

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,145Gear list
Like?
PDAF?
In reply to DonTom, 6 months ago

Shooters who are bringing their Olympus 4/3 lenses over need the E-M1 to make them work well, so perhaps the sales are much higher?

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,266Gear list
Like?

I chose the GX7 over EM1/5 for two main reasons.

1.) Silent shutter. Being able to shoot tens of thousands of shots without putting wear on my shutter is great, plus being able to take a shot without distracting family and friends is priceless.

2.) Video. Low light video isn't as needy as stills, because video can usually make due with slower SS and not have issues. Because of this, i don't necesarilly need super fast lenses (like my 20 F1.7) for video. This means i can use a stabilized lens that is a bit slower and still be happy. To me, the superior video IQ is more important than Olympus IBIS for video.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Matix, 6 months ago

Matix wrote:

A great camera for sure, but a little too retro for my tastes, too few programmable buttons,

http://matix.zenfolio.com

LOL.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 6 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Matix wrote:

A great camera for sure, but a little too retro for my tastes, too few programmable buttons,

LOL.

Thanks for sharing. he provided some resoning. you just tolling.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
arbuz
Like?
Re: Olympus has been in quality cameras much longer than Panasonic
In reply to Tom Axford, 6 months ago

Tom Axford wrote:

My own guess is that there are a lot more photographers emotionally attached to Olympus than there are to Panasonic. The reasons for this are largely historical: Olympus made film cameras that were well loved and they acquired a dedicated band of followers soon after the introduction of the first Olympus SLR in the 1970s.

+1. Emptional attachment to Olympus is visible in many posts or threads. Now, I wonder where would Olympus be if not panasonic bringing quality lens (20mm, F2.8 zooms, leicas )and fast AF (very good since GH1) when Olympus was iterating their slow pens (P1, P2 anyone?) with slow kit zooms. however emotinally charged people like to talk so they do.

Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 6 months ago

arbuz wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Matix wrote:

LOL.

Someone claiming Olympus cameras have "too few programmable buttons" isn't reasonable.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
arbuz
Like?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 6 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

arbuz wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Matix wrote:

LOL.

Someone claiming Olympus cameras have "too few programmable buttons" isn't reasonable.

He said panasonic G series has more and that's what he used to. If it his true then he is entitled to has his preferences. He also mentioned GH3 custom modes C1/2/3 which is clearly very good functionality, which should not be dismissed by "LOL".

wootpile
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Form factor and heritage

I would guess that Panasonic has too many enthusiast labeled cameras on the market which are not top-notch and drag the brand down a bit. At least for me (apart from the GH series) the GX7 was the first to wow me. Maybe buyers carry impressions of all the bleak GF iterations when looking at the GX7. Oly outputs less m43 cameras but each one reeks of craftsmanship and delivers adequate results.

Add to that, a lot of shooters want something big or traditional enough in their hands to make an impression on folks around them  So the Em-1 wins there.

Seriously though, I think the tilting viewfinder on the GX7 is one serious put-off. It extends a bit and looks like it could get beaten up by your midriff, and I assume most shooter realize they won't be using the tilt function much since the screen also tilts.

Samsung did the same with their new NX-30. It's a put-off, and a bit of a gimmic that only adds more joints that will allow dust to enter the viewfinder.

DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonTom, 6 months ago

DonTom wrote:

Cane wrote:

I chose the E-M1 over the GX7 for two reasons:

1. PDAF for sports photography. I wanted to capture my two kids at their sports, they are both coming into their teens, and are performing well in rugby, tag rugby, football, netball, basketball, athletics and skiing! It's proving to be a very wise choice, the focusing rarely lets me down.
  2. Weatherproofing. Although I don't really need it most of the time, when I do, I really need it!

As far as ergonomics go. I would have preferred the GX7. My previous camera was an E-PL1 with the tilting VF2. I would prefer the EVF in the corner and tilting, like the GX7, but the other factors were more important to me.

I must add that there are two cameras I really really want, but will probably buy second hand or at run-out prices.

1. GX7
  2. GM1

Although neither offers what I decided I need as a single camera body, they both offer something I want in certain circumstances.

I love the feel in hand and the tilting EVF of the GX7. I also like the style of the camera, and for me, it would be the "comfortable travel" camera. As in when I'm staying in hotels rather than tents...

My E-PL1 is now my party camera. I leave it lying around at parties and social events, without the VF mounted, wearing the Panny20/1.7 with a battered UV filter to protect the front lens element. People grab it a lot, including for "selfies" funny shots. Always some gems on it in the morning! The GM1 would be great for this role, as it focuses better, is much smaller, and also much better in low light/high ISO.

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads