With your 5D3 raw files, what's your lightroom develop workflow?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,651
Like?
With your 5D3 raw files, what's your lightroom develop workflow?
5 months ago

Do you use the camera calibration tab? First, second, last? Which setting do you use?

What other tweaks do you use on the majority of images?

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,783Gear list
Like?
Re: With your 5D3 raw files, what's your lightroom develop workflow?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, 5 months ago

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Do you use the camera calibration tab? First, second, last? Which setting do you use?

I don't have a 5D3, but your question is irrelevant to the model.  I never mess with camera calibration/"profile".  I have a preset made that I use to import my RAW files.  Then adjust sliders until I am happy with the image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, 5 months ago

What drivel!  "irrelevant to the model."  You have a "preset."  Wow!  You sound so arrogant, but not helpful at all.  This is what I am referring to: http://kelbytv.com/photographytnt/2013/11/21/camera-profiles-in-lightroom-5/

I believe in sharing information so that we can all learn. However, if you have some secret preset that you don't want to share, then why bother posting? JEESH!

I don't have a 5D3, but your question is irrelevant to the model. I never mess with camera calibration/"profile". I have a preset made that I use to import my RAW files. Then adjust sliders until I am happy with the image.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,783Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

What drivel! "irrelevant to the model." You have a "preset." Wow! You sound so arrogant, but not helpful at all.

I believe in sharing information so that we can all learn. However, if you have some secret preset that you don't want to share, then why bother posting? JEESH!

Dude, all a preset is are your favorite settings to start developing an image.  There's a million ways to develop an image/skin a cat with lightroom.  I suggest you experiment as that will give you the best benefit to understanding the software and your personal knowledge.  Find your answer instead of ask for the answer.

Jon_Doh
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?

There are a lot of good videos on Lightroom workflow on Youtube.

-- hide signature --

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Jon_Doh's gear list:Jon_Doh's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Canon EOS-1D Mark III
The Photo Ninja
Like?
I understand how to use the program, I'm just wondering
In reply to Jon_Doh, 5 months ago

If there's a start place people use religiously and then tweak from there. Specifically from canon 5d3 shooters.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?

If you not going to use Adobe Standard then it makes sense to me to start with the calibration tab because of the way other presets, standard, portrait etc affect color and contrast.

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,783
Like?
Re: I understand how to use the program, I'm just wondering

If there's a start place people use religiously and then tweak from there. Specifically from canon 5d3 shooters.

Workflows tend to be very personal. I have mine, but doubt if you would like it. Like the other guy, I have a number of presets that I apply, and then tweak from there. I also tend to use LR just for basic adjustments, then I pop over to CC/Nik to finish things.

If you ask this question in the retouching you will most likely get one guy give you a complete run down of his flow, which he calls a tango.

Regarding camera calibration, I do use different settings for that in my presets, but it all depends on the particular picture. I tend to use camera standard a lot. Sometimes I use landscape or portrait, but those tend to over saturate, especially since I tend to punch things up later in Nik.
--
- Bill

Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,191Gear list
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

What other tweaks do you use on the majority of images?

Most of the time I start with Adobe standard, and most of the time it gives pleasing results.  I have issues with it over saturating the reds in some instances (like silk red dresses, for example) and I'll go to camera neutral and adjust it from there.  Adobe standard tends to punch up the colors so it's fairly easy to saturate already vivid colors.

As RedFox88 stated I also have import presets which you can setup in Lightroom, I use this to set my sharpening, NR, that sort of thing.  You can set them up based upon the image ISO.  For instance my sharpening gets set to 50 with a mask of 60.  I'll often adjust off of this but it's a good starting point.

Hope this helped...

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
snoylekim
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 5 months ago

Find the keepers .  Sometimes this takes reviewing 2-300 shots . Depending on the lighting conditions, circumstances, etc , this might take a few rounds to weed out even minor motion blur, etc ..

I hit the  Lens Profile first. With 5.3 , I might use the upright or perspective control occasionally as it's in the same option set and this needs to be done  first  if you're going to crop . I rarely use the camera profiles, unless I suspect one might really fit the image.  I stick w/ Adobe standard for the most part.

Crop second, if necessary . Lightroom will adjust the histograms, etc  to the remaining image .

Clarity/Vibrance/Saturation adjustments next . I usually start with 10 Clarity and 10 saturation..sometimes some vibrance .

Tone adjustments ( highlights, lights, dark, shadows, ) if required next . Adjust white and black points, etc .

Any color saturation adjustments next .

Noise reduction next .

Sharpen Last .

Export .

Lather, Rinse, Repeat .

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to snoylekim, 5 months ago

If you use RAW you don't need the presets..Forget them. Start with Auto, and if that is not right for you, use the sliders..

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrScary, 5 months ago

To which presets are you referring?  The presets for camera calibration effect how the raw data is converted, if you are referring to those I will vehemently disagree with your statement.  They each create a different interpretation of color from the RAW, so they are different starting points.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,952Gear list
Like?

I can not help you with the 5DMKIII because I use a 1DMKIV and a M2.

...but I can give you some general pointers.

1. "Adobe Standard" is quite competent. You can work from there most of the time.

2. You should take the camera profiles  names (Neutral, Faithfull, Landscape, etc) as "what we were aiming for", not actual results. The best way to use those is for you to apply them to a series of photos and them make a correlation in your mind as to "what profile works best with what", irrespective of the good intentions of the people who came up with the names in the first place.

3. The best way to deal with cretin replies from cretin users is to put them on "Ignore".

I hope this helps.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,536
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

What drivel! "irrelevant to the model." You have a "preset." Wow! You sound so arrogant, but not helpful at all. This is what I am referring to: http://kelbytv.com/photographytnt/2013/11/21/camera-profiles-in-lightroom-5/

I don't have a 5D3, but your question is irrelevant to the model. I never mess with camera calibration/"profile". I have a preset made that I use to import my RAW files. Then adjust sliders until I am happy with the image.

If I were going into Lightroom 4.4 for the first time with a camera, any camera, it wouldn't matter what camera it was (like the guy said). I would tweak the sliders in the Develop Module to where I thought the image looked good then save those settings as a "preset" (like the guy said).  You don't need to worry about every possible slider at first, just exposure, highlights, shadows, blacks, whites, clarity, noise reduction, lens profiles etc.  If you get confused, join the club, we all did but we all just worked it out our own selves.  And Julieanne Kost's wonderful blog videos.

I have presets for three different cameras combined with three different lenses and both for jpegs and raws so that makes...uh...my head is spinning...a bunch of presets but that means most of the work is done upon Import.  Sure, each image might take some additional tweaking but that's where the fun is.

Each person's idea of what a properly tweaked image looks like is different.  Just take some image into Lightroom without any preset, go into Develop and play around then make a preset of that (look over on the left side of the screen and there will be a plus sign to create a new preset).  Then apply that to some other image, see if it averages out satisfactorily.  Remember, as far as I'm concerned, the "preset upon import" is just the start.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,536
Like?
In reply to MrScary, 5 months ago

MrScary wrote:

If you use RAW you don't need the presets..Forget them. Start with Auto, and if that is not right for you, use the sliders..

-- hide signature --

Say what?

jackkurtz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,254Gear list
Like?

Not drivel. Workflow is independent of camera model. Some people use three or more camera models in the course of a day. If you have a different workflow for each camera, managing your workflows becomes a bigger issue than managing your pixels.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

What drivel! "irrelevant to the model." You have a "preset." Wow! You sound so arrogant, but not helpful at all. This is what I am referring to: http://kelbytv.com/photographytnt/2013/11/21/camera-profiles-in-lightroom-5/

jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
jackkurtz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,254Gear list
Like?

I don't usually use camera profiles but if you do use profiles I think you should use them first. Adjustments to Clarity, Vibrance or Saturation are impacted by camera profiles. My workflow (on those rare occasions that I use profiles) is to 1) select profile, 2) adjust vibrancy and clarity (and saturation if needed but not very often), 3) hit the basic panel for exposure adjustments, 4) sharpen and 5) export. Normally I don't use profiles and just go straight to adjust vibrance and clarity.

jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +6 more
leecamera
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Seriously Mr Ninja...!  The first response you get and you shout it down as drivel...!  Then you tell the responder that they are arrogant.  I'm amazed anyone bothered to respond at all after that.

I'll respectfully request that you might regard any answer as a valuable insight to how others work and feel.  If it's not something you agree with then that's fine, but don't ask a question if you don't want a variety of answers.

The Photo Ninja
Like?
You've got to be joking. If not, then here's a tip.
In reply to leecamera, 5 months ago

Here are a few truths about the internet:

1) Don't feed the trolls.
2) Haters gonna hate.
3) Forums have some really great helpful advice, also some terrible and nasty human behavior.

Happy Easter!

leecamera
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?
Re: You've got to be joking. If not, then here's a tip.

True, there's some unfortunate behavior here.

But there's a simple solution it seems... The ignore button.  Ah yes, there it is...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads