Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?
7 months ago

Hello fellow photographers!

i am about to buy a new lens, and I'm searching a wide or a "normal" (at least something wider than my 45mm)

i would like to shoot "semi-landscapes" and such and I find my 45mm too telephoto like. So my questions are:

Can you do semi-landscapes with a 25mm?

Does the Sigma have very bad AF, and how is the IQ?

And at last, is the 17mm too expensive when you compare it to the sigma in terms of IQ and AF (As far as I know is the 17mm lightning fast)

my current gear is the OM-D E-M5, the 75-300mm II and the 45mm 1.8

I hope you can help me!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284
Like?
Re: Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?
In reply to TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice, 7 months ago

I can't help much since I have none of the above. I do have the PL25, however. My one comment is that there's quite a bit of difference with respect to field of view between the 17 and 25. A 35mm efl is pretty different than a 50mm efl. If you have a kit lens I'd suggest setting it on 17 and 25 and walking around to see how those focal lengths work for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?

TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice wrote:

i am about to buy a new lens, and I'm searching a wide or a "normal" (at least something wider than my 45mm)

i would like to shoot "semi-landscapes" and such and I find my 45mm too telephoto like. So my questions are:

And at last, is the 17mm too expensive when you compare it to the sigma in terms of IQ and AF (As far as I know is the 17mm lightning fast)

I hope you can help me!

Clearly panasonic 20mm 1.7

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 7 months ago

Ohh I almost forgot that one! Is the mark 2 version much better or pretty much the same?

arbuz
Like?

Ohh I almost forgot that one! Is the mark 2 version much better or pretty much the same?

http://m43photo.blogspot.ie/2014/04/new-20mm-f17-lens-is-less-noisy.html

apart from that and more metal in new version they're pretty much identical.

Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
photohounds
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?

I hope you can help me!

All the options you mention are pretty sharp, 17mm is tiny, quite sharp and easy to use.

Capable of very good results, it is also the ONLY one with the zone focus manual feature and is an all metal lens.

Maybe have at some grab shots h e r e (speeds as low as 1/6th hand held, and mostly wide open. Also perhaps the small selection on this page show what it can do. One or two I used the ring and guesed focus.

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear. Amusing that people complain a lens is not sharp enough, and then proceed to make pics where 95% of the pic is OOF ..
General Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples - even RB-67!:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests
How DO OMDs cope with dim-light action and smoke?
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Performing-arts

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice
Like?
In reply to photohounds, 7 months ago

Thank you for the reply! the 17mm seems very sharp indeed.

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,540Gear list
Like?

The 17mm f/1.8 is on the contrary well known for being very ordinary in sharpness for a prime lens and one that costs so much. Make sure you read this review from a highly trusted review site:

http://www.lenstip.com/357.1-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_17_mm_f_1.8-Introduction.html

And also this review, another highly trusted review site:

http://www.photozone.de/m43/840-olympus17f18

These 2 reviews are the most reliable ones IMO.

In short, a good looking lens with excellent AF and a nice snap ring, good flare control, but otherwise quite ordinary for a high price prime lens in its sharpness, CA, distortion or vignetting.  It's certainly more than decent, i.e. pretty good, but nothing special in IQ.

NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
17mm - example shots

You can shoot landscapes with any lens.

Can't compare it with the Sigma, but the 17mm is indeed lightning-fast. However, this is not usually an attribute necessary for a landscape lens.

In my opinion, the 17mm is at its strongest for street and candid photography - this is when the lens's small size and speedy autofocus come into play.

Here are some shots with the 17:

I hope you can help me!

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?

I hope you can help me!

I recently purchased the 25/1.8 lens. What can I say: it has fairly compact and light, has almost instant focusing, can take close up shots, and has a standard 50mm viewpoint--traditionally considered closest to the human eye's perspective. Nice lens/good image quality--you can't go wrong.

I am not sure what you are looking for and I don't know what "semi-landscape" refers to. Landscape shots can be taken with several different focal lengths; no one lens owns the category. The advantage of a wider lens like the Olympus 17--is that you can get more into the shot, better for taking shots of street scenes for example--a particular kind of "landscape"--arguably; the disadvantage is that being wider it is harder to control your composition, choosing the arrangement of the elements inside the picture. 35mm became the "sweetspot" for rangefinder photography in the 1960s with manual focus lenses--which I also do, I have a Leica IIIf. One reason is that it is a hell of lot faster to manually focus a 35mm lens than a 50mm lens--greater depth of field. That is completely irrelevant with auto focus lenses we use in m43.

I don't agree with the comment that you should try shooting for a couple of weeks with the kit zoom at different FLs to see which you like. It simply takes more time than that. I think the 25mm (50mm equivalent) is a better way to improve your photography and I would recommend it, UNLESS you have a specific need for a wider lens. Either way you go, in the end you will probably wish to have at least two tenses in the wide-to-normal category. Good luck!

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
dpreviewreader
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 7 months ago

The 17mm f/1.8 is on the contrary well known for being very ordinary in sharpness for a prime lens and one that costs so much. Make sure you read this review from a highly trusted review site:

http://www.lenstip.com/357.1-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_17_mm_f_1.8-Introduction.html

And also this review, another highly trusted review site:

http://www.photozone.de/m43/840-olympus17f18

These 2 reviews are the most reliable ones IMO.

In short, a good looking lens with excellent AF and a nice snap ring, good flare control, but otherwise quite ordinary for a high price prime lens in its sharpness, CA, distortion or vignetting.  It's certainly more than decent, i.e. pretty good, but nothing special in IQ.

You are cherry picking reviews. Classic example of selection bias. Based on images I have seen posted the 17mm lens seems to be just fine when it comes to sharpness.
Some time back there was a thread comparing an image from the 17mm and the 20mm lenses. The raw files were made available and I processed both and the difference in sharpness wasn't worth whining about.

alfredbomping
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

The Oly 17mm is equivalent to 35mm on a FF camera. It is fairly wide enough for small group shots and moving in close, you can get away with a full body and with some cropping even a half body shot with minimal distortion. It's not exciting as a wide angle lens but it is versatile.

Alfred

enrique santa
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?
Sergey ;-)
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 7 months ago

The op is about photographers not about test readers  have you any of this lens....NO

All we know your love&hate relaction wiht the oly 17 1.8 . Why dont you begin your post saying:I dont own this lens.....will be a good think for all your readers.

I dont own the 25 oly and the sigma but it looks like both are good lens. If I have to buy a 25mm the oly will be my option but I own the pana25mm ....bigger than the oly but good iq.

The 17mm oly 1.8 is a great lens imho the most versatile lens in the system. You can see a lot of samples in my galleries.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --
 enrique santa's gear list:enrique santa's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,788Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly 17mm 1.8

If you have Oly body I'd stick with Oly lenses

They're calibrated/designed  for the sensor/IBIS and CA and distortion are adjusted in camera

As to focal length the 17mm is more versatile than the 25mm if you plan on using it for landscapes as well

You can get either in the used market for less now but don't skimp, buy the best and have no regrets later

My recommendation: the 17mm, the most versatile MFT prime

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
arbuz
Like?
In reply to dpreviewreader, 7 months ago

dpreviewreader wrote:

You are cherry picking reviews. Classic example of selection bias. Based on images I have seen posted the 17mm lens seems to be just fine when it comes to sharpness.
Some time back there was a thread comparing an image from the 17mm and the 20mm lenses. The raw files were made available and I processed both and the difference in sharpness wasn't worth whining about.

OK, provide your selection of reviews. because he has provided links to well know review sites (that actually measure something instead of posting impressions), while you didn't bother to provide anything than your opinion. This is what I call bias.

arbuz
Like?
Re: Oly 17mm 1.8
In reply to dv312, 7 months ago

dv312 wrote:

If you have Oly body I'd stick with Oly lenses

Sure, that why we have u4/3 and not Olympus system. i wonder if you give the same advice for Panasonic owners.

They're calibrated/designed for the sensor/IBIS and CA and distortion are adjusted in camera

I didn't know there is a specific calibration for IBIS. Can you share this knowledge? CA are corrected for panasonic as well in new oly cameras.

As to focal length the 17mm is more versatile than the 25mm if you plan on using it for landscapes as well

You can get either in the used market for less now but don't skimp, buy the best and have no regrets later

Like if new lenses are feww from problems.

My recommendation: the 17mm, the most versatile MFT prime

the most average MTF prime.

Cheers,

arbuz
Like?
Re: Sergey ;-)
In reply to enrique santa, 7 months ago

enrique santa wrote:

The op is about photographers not about test readers have you any of this lens....NO

The usual talk. It's possible to take good pictures with most of the lenses on the market. Why bother with choices?

All we know your love&hate relaction wiht the oly 17 1.8 . Why dont you begin your post saying:I dont own this lens.....will be a good think for all your readers.

I dont own the 25 oly and the sigma but it looks like both are good lens. If I have to buy a 25mm the oly will be my option but I own the pana25mm ....bigger than the oly but good iq.

The 17mm oly 1.8 is a great lens imho the most versatile lens in the system. You can see a lot of samples in my galleries.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --
dpreviewreader
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 7 months ago

dpreviewreader wrote:

OK, provide your selection of reviews. because he has provided links to well know review sites (that actually measure something instead of posting impressions), while you didn't bother to provide anything than your opinion. This is what I call bias.

Imaging resource review of EP5, Optics tab. Then there is the ePhotozine review of the lens. And I can throw in the Pcmag review for good measure.

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,015
Like?

None of the above.

From a price/performance view buy either

Lumix 20mmF1.7

or

Original Lumix 14-45 kit zoom.

Then enjoy sharpness!

If you absolutely need to buy one of your three choices, for landscapes get the Sigma, it is sharp and cheap.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,158
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, 7 months ago

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

None of the above.

From a price/performance view buy either

Lumix 20mmF1.7

or

Original Lumix 14-45 kit zoom.

Then enjoy sharpness!

If you absolutely need to buy one of your three choices, for landscapes get the Sigma, it is sharp and cheap.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

For Landscape, you can start with deep depth of field so a fast lens isn't necessary (for now) so I would also recommend Sigma 19mm.  The AF is deadly silent, and cool, floating lens element via magnetic field.  It does clank when not powered but a great buy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads