Upgrade for a Nex-5n: should I go for alpha-6000 or alpha-7?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Cortgen2
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Upgrade for a Nex-5n: should I go for alpha-6000 or alpha-7?
8 months ago

Hi guys,

My name is Alessio and I'm new in the forum, though I've been frequently reading it. I'm in the middle of the exhausting and sometimes frustrating process of taking such a harsh decision...jumping toward a more complete and moving photography experience.

I'm a (not so much anymore) happy owner of  a nex-5n with sel1855, sel50f18, sel24f18 and sel55210. I always shoot M, sometimes A and S, and never in auto. Now I would love to improve my photography experience...before nex 5n I owned a canon eos rebel strike with some lenses.

I've never shot with a full frame camera and have no clue about how it would be. The web is full of pictures taken with both cameras, but it's so hard to find photos coming right out of the camera, as most of the time they are PP processed. Unfortunately, I live in a place where I can't rent some equipments to try out before taking the decision.

Alpha 6000 fascinates me as it is a 5n with everything (well, almost...) that the 5n misses, and it seems to have an improved IQ.

However, I'm much more attracted by the alpha 7.  I was wondering whether taking an alpha 7 with the 35mm lens would really feel like you have something different in your hands, especially when you look at pictures. Is the difference in Dynamic range between FF and APS-C sensors so noticeable? Does it make a difference  when you look at the photo? And what about color depth and fidelity? is the alpha 7 so much bigger than the 6000?

I have been reading tens of reviews, forums and comments and I'm more confused than before, as usual. We are of course talking about two different price tags, but lets give this point out of our conversation.

You can imagine how grateful I would be if you could help me making up my mind.

thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade for a Nex-5n: should I go for alpha-6000 or alpha-7?
In reply to Cortgen2, 8 months ago

I´m getting the a6000, but if I wasn't in a limited budget I would probably go with the a7, the FF photos have a more a more appealing look.

not much for help but : )

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to pew pew, 8 months ago

I´m getting the a6000, but if I wasn't in a limited budget I would probably go with the a7, the FF photos have a more a more appealing look.

not much for help but : )

Right I know there are advantages and disadvantages for both systems, but I really have no clue about the experience of shooting with a full frame. It would be great to hear opinions by owners of both models

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,651
Like?

The lenses you have now will give better results on the A6000, because the APS-C crop mode on the A7 has much lower resolution.

The A6000 has faster autofocus than the A7.

When using the whole FF sensor (not cropped to suit your existing lenses), the A7 will give better image quality, especially in low light. Where it really shines is in street scenes at night. In bright daylight at low ISO settings the difference will be slight and almost imperceptible.

Most A7 and A7r users seem to be mainly using legacy SLR lenses, with extremely good results.

You could almost toss a coin. The price difference is such that you could buy an A6000 and one or two new lenses for the cost of the A7.

If you buy the A6000, will you be constantly looking at your prints and thinking: "This could have been just that little bit better if I had bought the A7" ?

luke8
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?

I had to make the same decision. I bought the 6000. To be really happy, I would need both cameras, but that is to expensive. I decided to wait für the next generation of A7 in a year or so. Until then there will be more lenses für the A7 and I expect, also a faster AF. The 6000 ist cheap, has some advantages over the A 7 and I can keep my lenses. I love my SEL1018, nothing in this range available for the 7 so far.  I will buy an A7, but not now.

luke8's gear list:luke8's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 8 months ago

D Cox wrote:

The lenses you have now will give better results on the A6000, because the APS-C crop mode on the A7 has much lower resolution.

The A6000 has faster autofocus than the A7.

When using the whole FF sensor (not cropped to suit your existing lenses), the A7 will give better image quality, especially in low light. Where it really shines is in street scenes at night. In bright daylight at low ISO settings the difference will be slight and almost imperceptible.

Most A7 and A7r users seem to be mainly using legacy SLR lenses, with extremely good results.

You could almost toss a coin. The price difference is such that you could buy an A6000 and one or two new lenses for the cost of the A7.

If you buy the A6000, will you be constantly looking at your prints and thinking: "This could have been just that little bit better if I had bought the A7" ?

Thank you for your reply. That's exactly the point, if I never try the a7 I'll never know how much better it might be...I wouldn't use the a7 with the lenses I have now, and this is another point to consider...I should sell some of them (zeus 24mm for sure) to afford the price of the a7, and use a7 only with the 35mm for some time before saving money to eventually buy other lenses. I know that the only solution would be to have both, go around, take the same pictures with both and make comparisons, but unfortunately it's something I cannot do.

I'm usually impressed by great performances in terms of shallow DOF and DR, that's the main reason why I would be tempted by the a7...and the question is...if I take the same picture with my zeiss 24mm f1.8 and the a6000 and the zeiss 35mm 2.8 on the a7 to a high contrast subject, with strong lights and shadows, would I notice a significant difference? what is the 3D effect some people mention when talking about pictures taken with FF sensors?

These questions are killing me

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,443Gear list
Like?

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

My name is Alessio and I'm new in the forum, though I've been frequently reading it. I'm in the middle of the exhausting and sometimes frustrating process of taking such a harsh decision...jumping toward a more complete and moving photography experience.

Hi Alessio!

I'm a (not so much anymore) happy owner of a nex-5n with sel1855, sel50f18, sel24f18 and sel55210. I always shoot M, sometimes A and S, and never in auto. Now I would love to improve my photography experience...before nex 5n I owned a canon eos rebel strike with some lenses.

I would get the A6000.

Then add the E35 and E1018 lenses. Consider at least one legacy lens down the road, just for fun.

You will be happier with this setup than with the A7, for sure.

I've never shot with a full frame camera and have no clue about how it would be. The web is full of pictures taken with both cameras, but it's so hard to find photos coming right out of the camera, as most of the time they are PP processed. Unfortunately, I live in a place where I can't rent some equipments to try out before taking the decision.

PP brings all cameras, lenses, etc. closer together (if done right). However, FF exposures do have a 'special feel' to it - you have more color depth, more details in shadows, more DOF control, more DR - but it is harder to 'get it right' at the same time.

If you are very serious, FF will be more challenging, but also more rewarding.

Given your experience, lens choices, etc., I think that you will be quite happy with upgrading to the A6000 however. This is a lot of camera by itself, don't under-estimate its capabilities.

Alpha 6000 fascinates me as it is a 5n with everything (well, almost...) that the 5n misses, and it seems to have an improved IQ.

You get 24Mp, but I expect the images to be very similar overall, especially at 100% view.

However, I'm much more attracted by the alpha 7. I was wondering whether taking an alpha 7 with the 35mm lens would really feel like you have something different in your hands, especially when you look at pictures. Is the difference in Dynamic range between FF and APS-C sensors so noticeable? Does it make a difference when you look at the photo? And what about color depth and fidelity? is the alpha 7 so much bigger than the 6000?

Yes, yes, and yes - there are benefits. But the A7 + FE35 combination is essentially 'equivalent' to the A6000 + E24Z combination. You give up almost nothing - the extra DR, less shadow noise, etc., is not a major factor when you are improving your skills. Try composition, MF/M-mode, legacy lenses, subject framing, liighting, etc. first.

The A6000 does expose to the left, from what I have read. All Nex and A7 cameras do, to protect highlights, but I understand that the A6000 is a bit more aggressive. This is good if you pp, but you may want to expose to the right sometimes, to get a brighter image (less shadow noise).

I have been reading tens of reviews, forums and comments and I'm more confused than before, as usual. We are of course talking about two different price tags, but lets give this point out of our conversation.

Yeah, but in a way, you get what you pay for. The A6000 is simply a steal.

thanks!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
tokumeino
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?

To my point of view : since you have very good lenses like the 24mm/1.8 and the 50mm/1.8, I would not recomend to switch.

If 24mm is a focal length you like for a crop format, you would have to replace it by the 35mm, wich is only f/2.8 in FE. Thus, you'll have the same DOF control with the A6000 than with the A7, and the 1-stop faster lens will compensate the 1-stop high ISO difference between the two formats.You'll be able to make equivalent photos with the two systems (where equivalent implies frame, DOF, noise). I wouldn't have said the same if your favorite "normal" focal length was 50mm (FF equiv, thus 35mm in crop format).

The A7 would mainly give you a Dynamic Range increase, but DR with APSC sensors are still quite high. And I wouldn't trade that against a fast AF (if accurate as well, let's see comprehensive tests). Not mentionning the price...

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm a (not so much anymore) happy owner of a nex-5n with sel1855, sel50f18, sel24f18 and sel55210. I always shoot M, sometimes A and S, and never in auto. Now I would love to improve my photography experience...before nex 5n I owned a canon eos rebel strike with some lenses.

I've never shot with a full frame camera and have no clue about how it would be. The web is full of pictures taken with both cameras, but it's so hard to find photos coming right out of the camera, as most of the time they are PP processed. Unfortunately, I live in a place where I can't rent some equipments to try out before taking the decision.

However, I'm much more attracted by the alpha 7. I was wondering whether taking an alpha 7 with the 35mm lens would really feel like you have something different in your hands, especially when you look at pictures. Is the difference in Dynamic range between FF and APS-C sensors so noticeable? Does it make a difference when you look at the photo? And what about color depth and fidelity? is the alpha 7 so much bigger than the 6000?

thanks!

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

thanks!

The A7 in the hands of a noob will probably deliver worse images than a P&S-camera in the hands of a skilled photographer.

Of course does the A7 have the edge over the A6000 when it comes to IQ and low-light performance, it allows for shallower DOF etc. But will you be able to take advantage of those? This will mostly depend on your skills!

So, if you can (or want to learn) to get the most of a FF camera, you will definitely love the A7. But if you just want a faster 5N, that will allow you to aim and shoot, then the A6000 is probably the better choice for you.

For example, I use to take my time for taking shots: I walk around an object, look for some good framing, look for good light, perspctive, for objects that visually "communicate" with the scenery etc. After that, I take the shot. I am a slow photographer, that's why the 5N (that I still use as my primary camera) serves me fine. If I had to shoot fast moving subjects, I would either have to improve my handling of MF lenses or to get a DSLR or other camera with much improved AF speed (and accuracy).

As you can see: The decision for A6000 vs A7 depends on you (your skills and your plans) rather than on a technical comparison of features of those cameras.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?

Somewhat in a similar situation - went ahead and upgraded to A6000 from NEX-5N. Not yet at a level to handle a full frame camera. Handling-wise A6000 is amazing - in built EVF, flash, custom buttons, better grip etc. Although it's early days, I feel that my images from the iconic NEX-5N are better - I can't put a finger on a specific aspect, but somehow they are. May be it's 3 year use (5N) vs 3 weeks use (of A6000)?...

Good luck with your decision and choice.

Cheers

SG

Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to luke8, 8 months ago

luke8 wrote:

I had to make the same decision. I bought the 6000. To be really happy, I would need both cameras, but that is to expensive. I decided to wait für the next generation of A7 in a year or so. Until then there will be more lenses für the A7 and I expect, also a faster AF. The 6000 ist cheap, has some advantages over the A 7 and I can keep my lenses. I love my SEL1018, nothing in this range available for the 7 so far. I will buy an A7, but not now.

I'm somewhat happy to see that many people has had the same thoughts and indecision as me...another thought I had was that I'm probably not ready for a FF yet, and could wait to see how the world of mirror less FF cameras evolve. But if I spend money for an a6000 now I p'm afraid I couldn't afford to upgrade to a7000 in a year or so.

Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

Hi Alessio!

I would get the A6000.

Then add the E35 and E1018 lenses. Consider at least one legacy lens down the road, just for fun.

You will be happier with this setup than with the A7, for sure.

PP brings all cameras, lenses, etc. closer together (if done right). However, FF exposures do have a 'special feel' to it - you have more color depth, more details in shadows, more DOF control, more DR - but it is harder to 'get it right' at the same time.

If you are very serious, FF will be more challenging, but also more rewarding.

Given your experience, lens choices, etc., I think that you will be quite happy with upgrading to the A6000 however. This is a lot of camera by itself, don't under-estimate its capabilities.

You get 24Mp, but I expect the images to be very similar overall, especially at 100% view.

Yes, yes, and yes - there are benefits. But the A7 + FE35 combination is essentially 'equivalent' to the A6000 + E24Z combination. You give up almost nothing - the extra DR, less shadow noise, etc., is not a major factor when you are improving your skills. Try composition, MF/M-mode, legacy lenses, subject framing, liighting, etc. first.

The A6000 does expose to the left, from what I have read. All Nex and A7 cameras do, to protect highlights, but I understand that the A6000 is a bit more aggressive. This is good if you pp, but you may want to expose to the right sometimes, to get a brighter image (less shadow noise).

Yeah, but in a way, you get what you pay for. The A6000 is simply a steal.

thanks!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Hi Henry,

thank you for your detailed reply. I personally don't like spending too much time and effort with PP. I don't know if I could define myself as very serious, but in a way I wouldn't be scared by the learning curve of a FF camera. However, I understand that to be happy I should keep my 5n for general purposes and buy the a7 for pure fun and quality, but it's hard to decide, because I don't know if the difference in results is large enough to make me falling in love with the a7, encouraging me to bring it around instead of leaving it in my armchair always preferring the smaller and lighter camera instead, as it append when I had the DSLR.

Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to tokumeino, 8 months ago

tokumeino wrote:

To my point of view : since you have very good lenses like the 24mm/1.8 and the 50mm/1.8, I would not recomend to switch.

If 24mm is a focal length you like for a crop format, you would have to replace it by the 35mm, wich is only f/2.8 in FE. Thus, you'll have the same DOF control with the A6000 than with the A7, and the 1-stop faster lens will compensate the 1-stop high ISO difference between the two formats.You'll be able to make equivalent photos with the two systems (where equivalent implies frame, DOF, noise). I wouldn't have said the same if your favorite "normal" focal length was 50mm (FF equiv, thus 35mm in crop format).

The A7 would mainly give you a Dynamic Range increase, but DR with APSC sensors are still quite high. And I wouldn't trade that against a fast AF (if accurate as well, let's see comprehensive tests). Not mentionning the price...

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

thanks!

Yes I like the 24mm focal lenght in crop mode, and I would love to have wide angle lenses as well, and may be to try some legacy lenses, though this would be a completely new world for me...

Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to ottonis, 8 months ago

ottonis wrote:

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

thanks!

The A7 in the hands of a noob will probably deliver worse images than a P&S-camera in the hands of a skilled photographer.

Of course does the A7 have the edge over the A6000 when it comes to IQ and low-light performance, it allows for shallower DOF etc. But will you be able to take advantage of those? This will mostly depend on your skills!

So, if you can (or want to learn) to get the most of a FF camera, you will definitely love the A7. But if you just want a faster 5N, that will allow you to aim and shoot, then the A6000 is probably the better choice for you.

For example, I use to take my time for taking shots: I walk around an object, look for some good framing, look for good light, perspctive, for objects that visually "communicate" with the scenery etc. After that, I take the shot. I am a slow photographer, that's why the 5N (that I still use as my primary camera) serves me fine. If I had to shoot fast moving subjects, I would either have to improve my handling of MF lenses or to get a DSLR or other camera with much improved AF speed (and accuracy).

As you can see: The decision for A6000 vs A7 depends on you (your skills and your plans) rather than on a technical comparison of features of those cameras.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

As I said I wouldn't be scared by the learning curve of the a7....I understand that this wouldn't be the best camera for traveling and I should probably keep the 5n as well for general purposes, but this would be a quite expensive option...of course, if I buy the a7 plus the 35mm I could at leat sell the 24mm f1.8 fand earn a fire amount of money to cover part the investment for the a7...

Cortgen2
Like?
In reply to Sphinx_man, 8 months ago

Sphinx_man wrote:

Somewhat in a similar situation - went ahead and upgraded to A6000 from NEX-5N. Not yet at a level to handle a full frame camera. Handling-wise A6000 is amazing - in built EVF, flash, custom buttons, better grip etc. Although it's early days, I feel that my images from the iconic NEX-5N are better - I can't put a finger on a specific aspect, but somehow they are. May be it's 3 year use (5N) vs 3 weeks use (of A6000)?...

Good luck with your decision and choice.

Cheers

SG

This is scary...please, make more shots and let me know if you still think the 5n gives better images than the 6000!

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830Gear list
Like?

You understand that the net has as many opinions as there are users. I could put 10 images out there and you and everyone else would have no clue what was what.  With the 24mpix sensor you need to enlarge beyond 20x30" to see a difference.

The A6000 has the best AF systrem going, a 24mpix sensor and is cheap at $650. The A7 is already old technology.  They will update the sensor in the A7 to include the PDAF of the A6000.  When they do that in the next release the A7/r prices will drop like rocks.  What looses money faster than a penny stock? Outdated sensor technology!

From my point of view there is not even a question here.....

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?

OP why didn't you mention at the outset that you want limited DOF? That makes the A7 the better choice. The smaller lenses on the A6000 mean greater DOF compared to FF cameras, and going with a wider f/stop on a lens with a similar focal length won't help.

Other than that, it doesn't matter which camera you purchase. The idea that you might miss some wonderful experience you can't have without a FF camera exists only your mind!

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads