What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
yfan
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.
8 months ago

I am thinking about put it on ebay.  It's overlap with my other lens.  But somehow I feel reluctant let it go.

yfan's gear list:yfan's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +5 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,593Gear list
Like?
I think that light goes through it
In reply to yfan, 8 months ago

You have not supplied much information regarding this lens. Is MF manual focus or medium format? What is its focal length? How does a high resolution image look? Do you want more than $30 for it?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yfan
Like?
Re: I think that light goes through it
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 8 months ago

It's Manual focus Lens.  I did not provide more info because I don't want people prejudge by lens' model, maker etc. I'd like people to judge by the IQ of the image.  Maybe just for fun to guess what lens is this.

Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +5 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,593Gear list
Like?

yfan wrote:

It's Manual focus Lens. I did not provide more info because I don't want people prejudge by lens' model, maker etc. I'd like people to judge by the IQ of the image. Maybe just for fun to guess what lens is this.

The image is fairly poor with respect to sharpness and contrast. I don't know if it's the lens's fault. I could probably produce an image that bad with my 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor AI-S, which is a very good lens.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Nice, but...

yfan wrote:

I am thinking about put it on ebay. It's overlap with my other lens. But somehow I feel reluctant let it go.

...not a lot of fine detail (even within the DOF) to tell how sharp it is, not to mention the photo is downsized, anyway (even the 1600 x 2400 original size is only 3.84 MP).

But, the quality of the blur looks very nice, and it is a cool pic.  Thing is, it is a manual focus lens, and not many are into such lenses.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 6,960
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 8 months ago

this lens has a very shallow depth of fielld so I am guessing something long or a  zoom at the long end.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,820
Like?
The questions..

yfan wrote:

I am thinking about put it on ebay. It's overlap with my other lens. But somehow I feel reluctant let it go.

Are you pleased with it? It overlaps with one of your other lenses, which one do you prefer to use?

Cheers,
Doug

yfan
Like?
OK, let's have more fun. I will reveal the answer later.

Here is another Manual Focus one. What do you think about this?

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: OK, let's have more fun. I will reveal the answer later.

I Think, add more DOF...

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,939Gear list
Like?

yfan wrote:

I think context is needed in order to judge fully. Knowing things like FL and aperture would be nice so we can judge if it looks how we would expect it. Plus we don't know if it's downsampled or cropped, all we know is the file size is small.

As for the shot here, i see a good amount of CA along the top of the flower (looks like longitudinal CA), which isn't exactly the biggest line of contrast. Not a lens i would want necessarily, but that's me.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

i see a good amount of CA along the top of the flower (looks like longitudinal CA)

Most Primes have this CA, same with my very good walimeX pro 35mm F/1.4.

100% crop.

yfan
Like?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

This picture (magnolia) is taken with a Vivitar 200mm f3.5 at wide open - the worst spot of the lens. I find the softness and bokeh are actually quite pleasing.  However the CA is out of control with little off focus.  You are right on that.  When step down to f5.6 the image is fairly sharp. But you will lose the nice softness and bokeh.  I use it rarely, only for special effect and web pictures.  I will keep this lens since it's not worth the trouble to sell it.  Occasionally it produces some fun pictures like this one (grapes bellow), the picture is further softened in PP.

Beachcomber Joe
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?
Lensbaby? (nt)
No text.
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,454
Like?
Re: What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.

Blurry, not enough DOF to judge, and only 0.45 MB. Could be any lens on the planet, even a Photoshopped cell phone.

-- hide signature --

professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075
Like?

I can't wait. let me guess.

Ansco plastic lens.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,939Gear list
Like?

As i read this, im eating grapes (and a protein shake).

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,739Gear list
Like?

yfan wrote:

It's Manual focus Lens. I did not provide more info because I don't want people prejudge by lens' model, maker etc. I'd like people to judge by the IQ of the image. Maybe just for fun to guess what lens is this.

Really? What is the lens?

Also, this particular kind of shot isn't the most challenging on a lens. The conditions aren't right for creating fringing, distortion or coma. So this could be a Kenkomatic for all I know, it wouldn't be obvious.

yfan
Like?

Thanks guys. You guys have sharp eyes as I know.

OK, what about this one?  Do you think this one is sharp?

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,857
Like?

yfan wrote:

Good photography oppotunities in life are too few and far between to use awkward lenses.

If you value your photography, use AF lenses.

The Incredible Hoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 788
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, 8 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

yfan wrote:

Good photography oppotunities in life are too few and far between to use awkward lenses.

If you value your photography, use AF lenses.

I love AF lenses and use them when I can, but some of my best lenses are MF only. And some of my best cameras are not capable of AF. Honestly, for the work I value the most I'm usually not shooting with AF.

As far as these images in the thread go, I don't get it. Are these considered good examples? I'm not seeing it.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads