What warnings / suggestions should I give my sister when I hand over my D90?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
TacticDesigns
Contributing MemberPosts: 782Gear list
Like?
What warnings / suggestions should I give my sister when I hand over my D90?
8 months ago

Hello Everyone,

My sister is going to become the new owner for my old D90.

What warnings / suggestions should I tell her? I'm planning to type up (my hand writing is terrible) a quick list of TO DOs and TO DON'Ts for digital cameras / dSLRs. She's had SLR cameras before and plenty of point-and-shoots . . . but this is going to be her 1st dSLR.

Warning things like . . .

Like . . . don't use an old flash unit with a digital camera, because you might blow it up . . .

And a warning that I reset the camera to factory default settings . . .

But also pointer things like . . .

but point out the "My Menu" which I totally missed the 1st year I had it available to me. DOPE. That is a completely useful feature to stop menu diving! <grin>

Unfortunately I don't have a manual for the camera to hand over to her, so she's going to have to download it.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Pentax *ist DS Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +12 more
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?
Re: What warnings / suggestions should I give my sister when I hand over my D90?
In reply to TacticDesigns, 8 months ago

Shoot on Auto (No Flash) (so the dam flash doesn't pop up every time you start to push the shutter) for a month just to get the feel of the camera.

Put on a neck strap and put it around your neck, at all times.

And, don't mess it up because it's YOUR camera now.

Anything more than that will be TMI (Too Much Information) and may elicit statements like "Don't tell me what to do" and "You're not my boss, lay off".

I sold a D40 to a close neighbor and tried not to tell them anything after the sale.  Let me just say they handled that camera about the opposite of anything I would have told them but I still held my tongue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alex41
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
Re: What warnings / suggestions should I give my sister when I hand over my D90?

Don't drop the camera. That's it.

HowardChernin
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

Show her how to put it into Programmed Auto and use the control wheel to select between different aperture/shutter combinations. That should be plenty for a long time.

HowardChernin's gear list:HowardChernin's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Stuart001
Regular MemberPosts: 470Gear list
Like?
In reply to HowardChernin, 8 months ago

Try this webpage--the full manual can be downloaded. Might make things easier.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16087

It's the full 300 pages.

... and perhaps make sure that she realises that once she accepts the camera there's no going back ...

-- hide signature --

'I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man': (Oscar Wilde)

Stuart001's gear list:Stuart001's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
curiousmike1300
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

1.  Explain to her how to read the shutter speed.

Explain what a fast shutter speed looks like ( say, 1/500 ) and a slow shutter speed ( say, 1/2" ).

Explain that if she see's 1/2", she better not be hand-holding ( and why. )

i.e., "The cause of motion blur / fuzzy photos is slower shutter speeds.  Help the camera out."

Explain to her how to up the shutter speed (assuming hand holding ), either via aperture or ISO.

2. Explain to her the basics of how the camera decides what to focus on.  Show her how to pick the different focus points.

curiousmike1300's gear list:curiousmike1300's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 585
Like?

Make sure she understands this is habit-forming. And expensive.

pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216Gear list
Like?

Do not take a selfie with a 300mm lens.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Pi lover
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?

TacticDesigns wrote:

Hello Everyone,

My sister is going to become the new owner for my old D90.

What warnings / suggestions should I tell her? I'm planning to type up (my hand writing is terrible) a quick list of TO DOs and TO DON'Ts for digital cameras / dSLRs. She's had SLR cameras before and plenty of point-and-shoots . . . but this is going to be her 1st dSLR.

Warning things like . . .

Like . . . don't use an old flash unit with a digital camera, because you might blow it up . . .

And a warning that I reset the camera to factory default settings . . .

But also pointer things like . . .

but point out the "My Menu" which I totally missed the 1st year I had it available to me. DOPE. That is a completely useful feature to stop menu diving! <grin>

Unfortunately I don't have a manual for the camera to hand over to her, so she's going to have to download it.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Let her take some shots and then decide what to tell her.

Grant.

https://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/16089/~/users-manual---d90---guide-to-digital-photography

TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to pixd90, 8 months ago

pixd90 wrote:

Do not take a selfie with a 300mm lens.

LOL. Will add that to the list!  

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to bflood, 8 months ago

bflood wrote:

Make sure she understands this is habit-forming. And expensive.

Unfortunately that is so true!  LOL!  

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to curiousmike1300, 8 months ago

curiousmike1300 wrote:

1. Explain to her how to read the shutter speed.

Explain what a fast shutter speed looks like ( say, 1/500 ) and a slow shutter speed ( say, 1/2" ).

Explain that if she see's 1/2", she better not be hand-holding ( and why. )

i.e., "The cause of motion blur / fuzzy photos is slower shutter speeds. Help the camera out."

Explain to her how to up the shutter speed (assuming hand holding ), either via aperture or ISO.

2. Explain to her the basics of how the camera decides what to focus on. Show her how to pick the different focus points.

Good point on the focus points. She currently uses a Pentax K1000 (So no auto focus there LOL) and some point-and-shoot cameras . . . so giving her the heads up on AF-C vs AF-S and auto focus point selection vs. manual might be worth while . . . Thanks!  

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to Stuart001, 8 months ago

Stuart001 wrote:

Try this webpage--the full manual can be downloaded. Might make things easier.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16087

It's the full 300 pages.

... and perhaps make sure that she realises that once she accepts the camera there's no going back ...

-- hide signature --

'I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man': (Oscar Wilde)

Thank you! I'll email her the link!  

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to HowardChernin, 8 months ago

HowardChernin wrote:

Show her how to put it into Programmed Auto and use the control wheel to select between different aperture/shutter combinations. That should be plenty for a long time.

Yeah. Going from an old film camera with no auto anything to this dSLR . . . there's going to be a lot of adjustment. LOL.

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to alex41, 8 months ago

alex41 wrote:

Don't drop the camera. That's it.

That is a good point!  LOL!  

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, 8 months ago

toomanycanons wrote:

Anything more than that will be TMI (Too Much Information) and may elicit statements like "Don't tell me what to do" and "You're not my boss, lay off".

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Just point out what can damage the camera (ie. old flash units) and just a bit of some things that would be a lot different than her Pentax K1000 . . . like autofocus and auto / manual iso . . . and metering mode.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
Like?
Thanks everyone!

I think I'll keep it simple.

I'll tell her about not using old flash units, because she has some old flash units from the old film days lying around. And if she uses an old flash, she may end up overloading the camera and frying the circuits and killing the camera. So . . . I figure I have to tell her about that.

And maybe a little about manual iso vs. auto iso and what the settings mean. That there is different metering modes. And manual vs. autofocus and AF-C vs AF-S vs AF-A. So . . . the stuff that is different than her Pentax K1000 . . . LOL.

And that there is a "My Menu", which I totally missed at first.

Thanks everyone!

-- hide signature --
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,960Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks everyone!

What about selecting software? That is something specific to digital. With that comes the raw/jpeg decision. Something for her to know about if not make any great decisions yet.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?

TacticDesigns wrote:

I'll tell her about not using old flash units, because she has some old flash units from the old film days lying around. And if she uses an old flash, she may end up overloading the camera and frying the circuits and killing the camera. So . . . I figure I have to tell her about that.

And maybe a little about manual iso vs. auto iso and what the settings mean. That there is different metering modes. And manual vs. autofocus and AF-C vs AF-S vs AF-A. So . . . the stuff that is different than her Pentax K1000 . . . LOL.

Thanks everyone!

-- hide signature --

Again, TMI.

Pi lover
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?

TacticDesigns wrote:

Thanks everyone!

-- hide signature --

Does your sister think you're a nerd ?

Grant

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads