D800 Question

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Serathe
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
D800 Question
4 months ago

So I saw the D610 is discounted a bit, but I think well if I'm going to spend that kind of money maybe I should just get the D800. In either case I think my wife may kill me. So in that case wouldn't the D800 be the better choice? LOL

Serathe's gear list:Serathe's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
backayonder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,060Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Question
In reply to Serathe, 4 months ago

Further punishment even after death  when she finds the lenses you also purchased

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wahrsager
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

Serathe wrote:

So I saw the D610 is discounted a bit, but I think well if I'm going to spend that kind of money maybe I should just get the D800. In either case I think my wife may kill me. So in that case wouldn't the D800 be the better choice? LOL

I don't think you'd have any regrets with a D800/E.  The files are wonderful as is the autofocus.  (Same can't be said about the D610's autofocus).

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755Gear list
Like?

Serathe wrote:

Here's the problem I see.  Buy the D610 and you'd probably go with cheaper glass. 24-85VR, 70-200 f4, etc., especially if you're concerned about what your wife has to say. If you buy the D800 you'd want the better glass.  Price difference between D610 and D800 will be the least of your worries. Not that fellows don't put the best glass on the D610 and vice versa with the D800, and not that it's the wrong thing to do putting the better glass on the D610, but in your situation the $$$$s are a concern.  So my advice would be to buy the D610.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,868
Like?

Serathe wrote:

If you're wife has just a bit of knowledge of DSLR camera's she knows that it is a typical "need" camera...So if you do not have need for a D800, buy a D610, and save your life...or at least your relationship

Michel

-- hide signature --

- Objectivity is of the very essence of photography, its contribution and at the same time its limitation -
http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.fotopropaganda.com/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9240992@N05

ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?

If you get a D800 you may also need a new computer; that was my second expensive purchase.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,664
Like?

Can you afford to offer her $5,000 in jewelry while you buy a D800 and a good lens?

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

munro harrap
Contributing MemberPosts: 715
Like?

You have a D7100. It has no AA filter its images are crisper and require less sharpening and then noise reduction as a result. It works better in low light as it has greater inherent depth of field.

If you like what it does the only improvement, and then only in size, would be a D800E.

But you already have a perfectly good camera, with a good enough lens. You could improve a bit with an old 18-70mm f3.5-4.5, which is what I have on mine, but avoid shelling out for the 17-55mm f2.8 because (and read DXO on this, not me!) it's only got about 6MP resolution over most of its scope( the barrier of all that yellow on the sharpness chart).

I think that if you are asking, and are worried, that maybe you already know you have got what it takes already....

Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?

Yes, D800e only after you buy heavy life insurance.

Hey you only live once... Let her be happy after you are gone.

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Serathe
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photofunster, 4 months ago

Well, maybe I will do the logical thing and slowly build up on FX lenses then one day buy an FX camera... I tried to bribe her with jewelry... I even told her her $20,000 car that we are paying off should count.... Just didn't quite buy it LOL

Serathe's gear list:Serathe's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,109
Like?
Something to consider

I see you currently have a D7100. If you buy a D610 just make sure you will be happy with stepping down significantly feature wise to get the full frame sensor. Especially when it comes to the AF system and the coverage of the actual AF points in the VF.

pmenear
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

I own/shoot the D7100 and D610 and have used the D800E extensively, all my lenses are Nikon pro. The D610 is leagues ahead of the D7100 in everything except AF so trade up with confidence that the jump in quality is worth it. I would not choose the D800 over the D610 as there are not enough noticeable advantages to warrant the price difference but I would choose the D800E over the D610. The D800E would be my choice if price was a not a factor and the D610 if it is.

TheMeister
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Advantages of the D610

Since the OP asked about advantages of the D610 over the D800:

- significantly cheaper

- lighter, smaller and better built (mostly polycarbonate: more repairable, no dents)

- very slightly less noise at higher iso

- 6fps even without battery grip

- in camera timelaps

- slightly more pictures on one charge

- two sd slots (no ancient, bulky, expensive CF-Card slot)

- quite continous burst mode

TheMeister's gear list:TheMeister's gear list
Canon PowerShot A410 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
TheMeister
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Advantages of the D610

I forgot to mention the customizable U1 and U2 modes.

TheMeister's gear list:TheMeister's gear list
Canon PowerShot A410 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads