D600 back focus on all lenses

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
DavePeterson
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
D600 back focus on all lenses
6 months ago

I have noticed that my focal point is out of whack, so I just did a focus test on my D600 with three of my lenses and it has severe back focus consistent on all lenses.  I did AF Fine Tune for each lens to the max (-20) and it still has some back focus.

What can I do now?  Is there a back focus adjustment for the whole camera that will give me more adjustment?

thanks

Don

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Oscar Rico
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 back focus on all lenses
In reply to DavePeterson, 6 months ago

If you tested the camera/lenses correctly, then the indicator is that the camera needs to be calibrated by Nikon. The clue is that "all" your lenses consistently back focusing. Other thing you can try is to check your lenses in another camera to assure that is the camera and not your lenses that is the issue. Regards: Oscar

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sunnyjim
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscar Rico, 6 months ago

Try shooting soccer or football to test the camera and lens. You often get groups of players and it's easy to see where the focus is.

Use AF-C but turn off all of the features you don't need like ADL, multiple focus points, etc. Then use the "Focus Point" feature in Nikon View NX to track the focus point on your images.

If the camera is back focusing, call Nikon Service and send them the pictures. You may need to send the camera to Nikon for adjustment.

-- hide signature --

www.raphoto.zenfolio.com

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?

Since you don't describe your testing method might I suggest you search this forum for information on AF Fine Tuning?  It is altogether possible to fool yourself into thinking you have defined your problem properly when changing your test method will give a different conclusion.  Apologies if this is an elementary response to your question, but I have no information on your level of experience.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

DavePeterson
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

To answer the questions:

I used  Bob Atkins test method - we have successfully used this method on Canon Pro cameras and Hassleblads. So I have confidence in it.

Tried centre focus point as well as far left and right on all three lenses. Two zooms and 50mm prime. The zooms were tested at mid and extreme focal length.

All lenses showed an extreme back focus of 3-4cm.

As mentioned AF Fine Tuning is not enough to correct the problem.  I am looking for a camera correction, not an individual lens correction, if possible.  If not, I will send the camera in.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?

DavePeterson wrote:

To answer the questions:

I used Bob Atkins test method - we have successfully used this method on Canon Pro cameras and Hassleblads. So I have confidence in it.

Tried centre focus point as well as far left and right on all three lenses. Two zooms and 50mm prime. The zooms were tested at mid and extreme focal length.

All lenses showed an extreme back focus of 3-4cm.

As mentioned AF Fine Tuning is not enough to correct the problem. I am looking for a camera correction, not an individual lens correction, if possible. If not, I will send the camera in.

Consider this.  Many believe that the single line type test targets do not provide appropriate results.  Your previous success aside, it might be interesting and productive for you to at least give one of the other targets a go before sending the camera in for service.  Eliminate all possible variables so to speak.

Also, think about experimenting with this:

Delete the corrections for all the individual lenses and set the global default for -20. The adjustment units in the global default are believed to be larger.

If you don't delete the individual lens corrections first they will override the global default.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads