Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: On image quality in general
In reply to Raist3d, 8 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

I can't upload another picture due to type pad.com under a denial of service attack.

But anyway, if you have seen low ISO V2, that's about it. AT the lower ISO there is still some grain/noise. This isn't a camera to pixel peep.

Color and tonality are kept to a good degree, resizing down for web or less MP looks real good. So big prints may have a certain aesthetic to it that I think will look rather pleasant (would have to do my own 13'' x 19'' print and don't think I will have the time for that if I return).

Any reason why you don't upload to your galleries here on dpreview? Then you don't have to host on your own site.

As for image quality, the disappointment with the V2's larger megapixel count was that if you up-sampled a 10Mp V1 image to the same size, there was no difference in the amount of actual details captured.So the V2 was basically an exercise in storing larger files on your hard drive with no benefit in improved IQ.

Do you get the impression that the details in the V3's 18Mp is equally substandard in that maybe it is actually capturing the details you would expect from a good 12Mp or so camera? e.g. a much larger file size with little incremental benefit in actual detail capture or dynamic range?

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,358Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jared Huntr, 8 months ago

Jared Huntr wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

I can't upload another picture due to type pad.com under a denial of service attack.

But anyway, if you have seen low ISO V2, that's about it. AT the lower ISO there is still some grain/noise. This isn't a camera to pixel peep.

Color and tonality are kept to a good degree, resizing down for web or less MP looks real good. So big prints may have a certain aesthetic to it that I think will look rather pleasant (would have to do my own 13'' x 19'' print and don't think I will have the time for that if I return).

Any reason why you don't upload to your galleries here on dpreview? Then you don't have to host on your own site.

As for image quality, the disappointment with the V2's larger megapixel count was that if you up-sampled a 10Mp V1 image to the same size, there was no difference in the amount of actual details captured.So the V2 was basically an exercise in storing larger files on your hard drive with no benefit in improved IQ.

Do you get the impression that the details in the V3's 18Mp is equally substandard in that maybe it is actually capturing the details you would expect from a good 12Mp or so camera? e.g. a much larger file size with little incremental benefit in actual detail capture or dynamic range?

No, I get the impression you do capture more details, and keep in mind this is with the kit lens which is not as good as the F1.8 or F1.2 primes.

I am definitively seeing more detail and the downsampling helps to increase image quality.

on DR - the DR on highlight recovery seems better than I expected and better than S1, but I think what is going on is the total DR is similar but Nikon is doing an exposure shift like Olympus does (or well, like Nikon always had done since their D30 DSLR).

I had active lighting on so if that affects exposure shifts for RAW files, that's another thing.  Have not verified that yet.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)
In reply to GXRuser, 8 months ago

GXRuser wrote:

I got a good deal on my V2 twin lens direct from Japan about a year ago, but your deal sounds excellent. There is not much wrong with the V2.

There are basically three issues with the V2 and three with the all of the 1Nikon cameras. All are not deal breakers (full disclosure, I use two V2 bodies...)

V2:

1) No IR port on back for easy use of the IR release when camera is on tripod from the camera rear.

2) No Inravolometer.

3) Does not use same battery as V1.

1 Nikon:

4) No "Shoot without Lens" option to allow metering for use with lenses and optics other than Nikon F mount with the FT1 adapter. This also affects non-chipped lenses in that there is no in viewfinder focus confirmation.

5) No focus peaking as a manual focus aid.

6) Only the 32mm f1.2 lens has a focus ring.

With AF and the native 1nikkor lenses, this is a superb system.

As far as the issues listed above are concerned,  #1 and 2 are very minor, and since I also have a V1, I'd use it if I needed an intervalometer - but I agree that it was a silly feature to get rid of in what was the top-of-the-line camera.   #3 is unfortunate, but easily worked around at minor inconvenience.

#4 is the one that really makes me mad - But I can work around it for an extra $50 per adapter by buying the 3rd party chipped adapters from Russia.  I intend to buy one for Canon FD glass, and one for Nikon F-mount glass (although I might just get the FT1 instead of the latter).

#5 is solved the same way #4 is, as there IS a good manual focus aid, if one has a chip.

As for #6. I have no intention of using any of the native lenses in any application where I'll be using manual focus - I only bought the system because of it's autofocus when shooting action and birds, so it's not a manual focus system for me.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Raist3d
Like?
Re: AF and Exposure by touch?

Jared Huntr wrote:

The logical use of a touchscreen is to be able to touch a point to specify the AF point or set exposure. Furthermore, it would be nice to have the option of combing that with a shutter release.
For video, it would be very useful to specify the focus point with touch as it is filming.

Is this possible?

Yes, it seems to behave that way, but seems like the area of the square is still big. Maybe it's pinpointing.  Anyway, both scenarios you described are possible.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Raist3d
Like?

GXRuser wrote:

I got a good deal on my V2 twin lens direct from Japan about a year ago, but your deal sounds excellent. There is not much wrong with the V2.

There are basically three issues with the V2 and three with the all of the 1Nikon cameras. All are not deal breakers (full disclosure, I use two V2 bodies...)

V2:

1) No IR port on back for easy use of the IR release when camera is on tripod from the camera rear.

2) No Inravolometer.

Has intervalometer.

3) Does not use same battery as V1.

Neither this one but apparently it's the J2's.

1 Nikon:

4) No "Shoot without Lens" option to allow metering for use with lenses and optics other than Nikon F mount with the FT1 adapter. This also affects non-chipped lenses in that there is no in viewfinder focus confirmation.

Have not seen that but haven't looked yet.

5) No focus peaking as a manual focus aid.

AFAIK, no focus peaking here either.

6) Only the 32mm f1.2 lens has a focus ring.

With AF and the native 1nikkor lenses, this is a superb system.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Will upload some files later

gotta run and do other things, dpreview galleries don't accept jpegs over 20 megs and they don't accept PNG's either.  Hopefully type pad by then will work again.

-- hide signature --

MattZisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Re: Will upload some files later

Raist3d wrote:

gotta run and do other things, dpreview galleries don't accept jpegs over 20 megs and they don't accept PNG's either. Hopefully type pad by then will work again.

Once again -- many thinks for this highly informative view.

MFiftysomething
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

Yes agree with all that.  Maybe add V2 built in flash is weak and does not tilt up to bounce.

V1 slow to wake from sleep.

of course no camera perfect.

MFiftysomething's gear list:MFiftysomething's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6000
MFiftysomething
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
In reply to dougjgreen1, 8 months ago

I don't have any Nikon DSLR's but the V1 battery is a treat compared to all my others (myNex 6 was terrible). I would take a larger battery on most cameras over smaller size.

Nikon 1; not great for legacy lenses M43 or E mount better.

MFiftysomething's gear list:MFiftysomething's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6000
yomasa
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?

Is it a keeper?

-- hide signature --
 yomasa's gear list:yomasa's gear list
Pentax 645D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R Nikon 1 J4 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
ol hippie
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to yomasa, 8 months ago

yomasa wrote:

Is it a keeper?

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the early review and information. It has made my wait for mine even more stressful.

I look forward to your reviews, data updates and examples. Take some time to enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Ol Hippie
"It's a great day for the Race, human and rat"

ol hippie's gear list:ol hippie's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 J3 +16 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,317
Like?

yomasa wrote:

Is it a keeper?

and if not ... can you return it quickly so someone can buy it refurbished?

-- hide signature --

design guy

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,683
Like?

Jared Huntr wrote:

That's not what I found. It wasn't a profound difference, but the V2 did produce more detail. Not with the kit lens, but with the better lenses, good shooting technique, and avoiding smaller apertures that lost detail due to diffraction, it wasn't hard to get more detail from the V2.

Coaching the witness?

Raist3d
Like?
Some snaps from yesterday and just now

I want to warn that these are not photographs (should be obvious ;-)) and just snaps testing for how the camera focuses, noise, reacts to color, etc.

This is not the kind of work I do. What I am realizing is that this camera is screaming for a sharp prime (that F1.8 or F1.2). The Kit lens is O-K.

Full 20 megs, 18.xx shot (converted in LightRoom 5.4, no noise reduction)

20megFile_daylight

This should give you a bit of a reference what to expect. I find the camera seems to be a bit noisy at low iso but keep OK at high ISO.

If you don't pixel peep and use for web or reasonable prints, I say it looks rather good:

Such thing applies virtually to all cameras but what I am concerned is does it keep a certain "3dness" and tonality/color to it, and I think this does for the most part.

Work in B&W interests me much so reasonably happy with this tonality thought the Ricoh GR is better as expected.

And to give an idea of low light here's a shot at 1600x1200 (~2 megapixels) in ISO 6400 in low light. Though might Pentax Q7 can do surprisingly well also even at ISO 6400, this keeps better color and details.

No noise reduction of any kind has been applied (other than whatever Adobe does when it opens a RAW file of this camera).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?

yomasa wrote:

Is it a keeper?

That depends on you. I am new to the Nikon 1 system so I at this point here's what I would say (but again, I am not done with my assessment):

- If you like the Nikon 1 System and you have a V1 Or J Series, and you won't miss the built in view finder of the V1, it may be worth it.

- If you have a V2 and you love your V2, in particular you don't care for a smaller size option or you really like that EVF being built in and not attached- KEEP your V2.

Remember, these are tools- my needs are not your needs.  In my case I am looking for street life, in particular that it is good enough for night street life as it is one of the things I like doing a lot.

I wish I had the F1.8 prime to do my evaluation but only have the kit lens so will have to make do with that and extrapolate the rest.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Movie mode- way better than I expected

it does not have the vomit inducing "wobble" that so many cameras with electronic shutters (and no global shutters) have.  It has a notch when jumping around the camera (just dot do that), but not anywhere near as much I have seen.

disclaimer: I am not a videographer.

-- hide signature --

Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoreddi, 8 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Jared Huntr wrote:

That's not what I found. It wasn't a profound difference, but the V2 did produce more detail. Not with the kit lens, but with the better lenses, good shooting technique, and avoiding smaller apertures that lost detail due to diffraction, it wasn't hard to get more detail from the V2.

It would be interesting to see your comparisons assuming they were done under reasonably controlled conditions. I was not impressed with the examples shown here when the V2 was first released.

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Raist3d
Like?
A few more snaps

These at about 1600x1xxx resolution so well beyond typical web site.

Nice leaf

Nice JPEG out of camera (at night, dinner)

Nice greens/purple

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Maybe my first photograph...

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
What I think so far...

Seems like this camera has many things to like, and a few things that you wonder how Nikon can go through all the trouble of making something very technologically advanced, supposedly for enthusiasts photographer and miss a couple of things.

But so far not bad.  Image quality seems to be about reasonable for what I want to do, but I would definitively need to get the F1.8 and F1.2 lenses.  This camera screams "give me a better lens than the kit lens."

I am looking at this camera as a "Super Q7" to get better low light performance through sensor and lens. The Q7 only goes to F1.9 and it's at about 39mm equivalent. I like a bit longer so going to F1.2 sounds good.

I think this camera may give me about a stop on sensor over Q7, and then stop and a half with lenses = 2.5 stops.  Doesn't sound too bad.

It still does not compare to my Ricoh GR in responsiveness and usability, and this is sort of what I am wrestling a bit right now.  The Ricoh GR is really that perfect for street life- but I wish it was a bit longer and just a bit faster (lens).

I have a slight concern on focus acquisition at night, but i have to realize I am shooting with a lens that is going about 4.2-5.6 in Fstop on average for me which is pretty dark. I can only imagine with an F1.2 this camera should still be able to focus fairly decent at night.

I am trying to think what exactly is it that hasn't "won" me yet.. as it is just a feeling, and see if I can negotiate that.  If I can I keep and I will start selling a lot of what I have.

If I can't, then I will return it.

I still think this camera is about $200-$300 USD over priced and I realize I hardly getting a "good deal" in terms of a reasonable price.

Biggest advantages over the Ricoh GR for street life are the articulated LCD and perhaps the occasional use of the EVF in hard sunlight.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads