Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,027Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)
5 months ago

So got a call that they had it, and they had one and only.  Went for it.  More impressions coming later.  For now...

- excellent build / feel

- UI as I expected is much better than what I had seen before in the Nikon 1 family

- well built quality buttons (finally!) - another reason why I was interested in it vs previous cameras

- You may know this but not all micro SD cards or memory is liked by Nikons. A Belkin card they had just did not work. Look for the brands (Sandisk, Lexar I guess)

- In good light as expected the camera focuses ridiculously fast (note: have not tried moving subjects)

- Weights more than a Ricoh GR

- Lens is fly by wire zoom, not a power zoom (was expecting more like a "rocker") but works.  Extends fast, closes fast on turn off

- Using LR 5.4 right now to check on IQ (more on that later tonight- late)

- Will be getting an FT1 adapter if I keep (but it was TAXED as a sale, which is how these weird offers work at retail)

- LCD seems pretty nice to see in sun (have not tried stressful daylight conditions though)

- Contrast AF is not anywhere near as fast as the PDAF + contrast, seems at least as fast as the Q7.

- Using a 30MG micro disk San Disk card, an NEF + JPEG shooting, the files take a couple of seconds to save.  If you fire away several shots, you will see the camera saving a shot (green light on) with a small green light off pause.  The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).

- Dials feel right- but I do not understand why since the camera already has two dials, Nikon had to add the 4-button+dial deal.  I rather would have immensely preferred four buttons and just the front dial and upper dial. I don't understand this. I don't see what advantage this brings (and do I hate those wheels).

Bought it on the condition to return if it doesn't work for what I want. I will k now by tomorrow morning if I am keeping or not.

One more surprise I didn't expect- apparently the Camera can use the Nikon J2 batteries I think it is? So it's not a completely all new Nikon 1 V3 battery only (that's good).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Nikon 1 J2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1) Pentax Q7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MattZisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)
In reply to Raist3d, 5 months ago

Raist3d wrote:

So got a call that they had it, and they had one and only. Went for it. More impressions coming later. For now...

- excellent build / feel

- UI as I expected is much better than what I had seen before in the Nikon 1 family

- well built quality buttons (finally!) - another reason why I was interested in it vs previous cameras

- You may know this but not all micro SD cards or memory is liked by Nikons. A Belkin card they had just did not work. Look for the brands (Sandisk, Lexar I guess)

- In good light as expected the camera focuses ridiculously fast (note: have not tried moving subjects)

- Lens is fly by wire zoom, not a power zoom (was expecting more like a "rocker") but works. Extends fast, closes fast on turn off

- Will be getting an FT1 adapter if I keep (but it was TAXED as a sale, which is how these weird offers work at retail)

- LCD seems pretty nice to see in sun (have not tried stressful daylight conditions though)

- Contrast AF is not anywhere near as fast as the PDAF + contrast, seems at least as fast as the Q7.

- Using a 30MG micro disk San Disk card, an NEF + JPEG shooting, the files take a couple of seconds to save. If you fire away several shots, you will see the camera saving a shot (green light on) with a small green light off pause. The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).

- Dials feel right- but I do not understand why since the camera already has two dials, Nikon had to add the 4-button+dial deal. I rather would have immensely preferred four buttons and just the front dial and upper dial. I don't understand this. I don't see what advantage this brings (and do I hate those wheels).

Bought it on the condition to return if it doesn't work for what I want. I will k now by tomorrow morning if I am keeping or not.

One more surprise I didn't expect- apparently the Camera can use the Nikon J2 batteries I think it is? So it's not a completely all new Nikon 1 V3 battery only (that's good).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Thanks.

Any thought on the EVF (mechanically, "optically")?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raist3d
Like?
In reply to MattZisk, 5 months ago

MattZisk wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

So got a call that they had it, and they had one and only. Went for it. More impressions coming later. For now...

- excellent build / feel

- Lens is fly by wire zoom, not a power zoom (was expecting more like a "rocker") but works. Extends fast, closes fast on turn off

- Using a 30MG micro disk San Disk card, an NEF + JPEG shooting, the files take a couple of seconds to save. If you fire away several shots, you will see the camera saving a shot (green light on) with a small green light off pause. The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).

- Dials feel right- but I do not understand why since the camera already has two dials, Nikon had to add the 4-button+dial deal. I rather would have immensely preferred four buttons and just the front dial and upper dial. I don't understand this. I don't see what advantage this brings (and do I hate those wheels).

-- hide signature --

Thanks.

Any thought on the EVF (mechanically, "optically")?

Haven't tried the EVF yet.  Charging battery to full now/atm.

-- hide signature --

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,134Gear list
Like?

Raist3d wrote:

- excellent build / feel

-- hide signature --

Well, at this point, I'm feeling pretty good about the Henry's open box V2 with 10-30 kit lens and full Canadian 1 yr. warranty that I just won the bidding on for $410 all in. Since I'd never use the V3 without the EVF and Grip anyways, I'd just as soon have them already integrated along with enough of a flash that I can use to fire slaves. Although I do expect to put the 10-30 on ebay shortly after it arrives, which will end up putting the cost of the Canadian V2 body to me at something in the $330 - $350 range.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Raist3d
Like?
Sounds like a good deal to me...
In reply to dougjgreen1, 5 months ago

The V2 should be fine- the only issues I had with it is the size (I want more compact) and the buttons in the back. But the camera itself should be fine.  The noise/dr etc seems ballpark the same according to Dxo and the AF is still insane.

I actually weighted buying a J3 for $399 USD.

-- hide signature --

walter g1
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Re: Sounds like a good deal to me...

I'm looking toward to your thoughts on how good the camera is once you get the battery fully charged. I am also curious about the EVF, but I know I can just as easy use the screen instead.
Did you try focusing and taking a shot using the screen.?
I hope you like it. I think I'm going to wait to see if the J4 gets released in the States.That would be a nice upgrade from my J1.

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 861Gear list
Like?
Hallelujah

What a beautiful Easter gift Ricardo!

We are all eager for your   feedback   so practical and reliable.

Don't forget DXO Pro9 indeed  

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?

Ha!  You bastaurd.  I forgot to watch the end of that Henry's open box!  I'm glad you got it. There's another one on ebay now. I'll keep my eyes open.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
In reply to Northoceanbeach, 5 months ago

I'm curious what you impressions will be on whether the kit lens is superior to the old kit lens.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
MFiftysomething
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?

I got a good deal on my V2 twin lens direct from Japan about a year ago, but your deal sounds excellent.  There is not much wrong with the V2.

Raist3d
Like?
Re: Sounds like a good deal to me...
In reply to walter g1, 5 months ago

walter g1 wrote:

I'm looking toward to your thoughts on how good the camera is once you get the battery fully charged. I am also curious about the EVF, but I know I can just as easy use the screen instead.
Did you try focusing and taking a shot using the screen.?

If you mean tap to focus- yes.   If you mean manual focus yes but not much.

I hope you like it. I think I'm going to wait to see if the J4 gets released in the States.That would be a nice upgrade from my J1.

From what I read the J4 is like 90% of the V3, and I did consider that path if Nikon had it here. After converting from some Japanese prices I saw the MSRP of the J4 would have been $700-$800 with the new kit lens ($400-$500 cheaper than the V3).

Since I am looking for *NOT* click shutter, I think I could have lived with that, though I feared the J4 would be a bit tough to handle.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
thanks (n/t) ;-)
In reply to JL Salvignol, 5 months ago
-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Some further impressions....

So I went out at night with the slow kit lens (F3.5/F5.6).

Auto Focus in lower light

Once you hit a certain intensity, PDAF goes bye bye and it's contrast AF.  The AF speed seems about and maybe just a notch faster than the Q7 but not by super much.  IT seems to me the Ricoh GR focuses as fast in this condition if not a notch faster.

ISO

The image quality seems to me it strikes the "good enough" for what I would like to use it. It's a step up from the Q7 overall, though in some shots it's just to some degree surprising how close or "in the same direction" the Q7 can go.

But not quite the fair comparison in some ways with that kit lens .

EVF

Tried the EVF briefly.  It's a high quality detail and refresh (and I have seen the XT1, XE2, XE1, EM1, Sony A7, GX7 so I have a bit of a reference).  IT's actually pretty nice on that end.

The build- though I was a bit enthusiastic on it being removable because it felt like part of the camera, attaching/detaching it feels like something that "Do it enough times and something may start to wear a bit."  Don't know.. when taking it off it seemed I had to be careful.

But as far as EVF goes, it's a high quality EVF

Grip

The Grip is nice but two Nikon snafus:

- The tripod socket shifts, and now is misaligned.  Ironic- this must be the only external grip that makes the camera have a misaligned socket though I can see why it's that way- since the camera centered socket is used to attach the grip

- You have to remove a little rubber cover underneath the camera and a plastic protector on the connector of the grip- not too much of a fan of that. I wonder if that litter rubber cover will wear and need replacement

- You need to remove the grip to change the batteries (WTH Nikon!)

While the grip does add a nice.. well..extra grip to the camera, for some reason it didn't feel as solid or as "built in" once attached to the camera as I was expecting but it's not too bad.  Just having dials and buttons now unused on the camera as the grip takes over feels a bit weird.

Creative modes/dial UI

These seem kind of nice but since Nikon does not have a built in RAW converter, it makes it harder to experiment like I do on the Q or Ricoh GR.  I still do not understand how a company like Nikon (or Sony or Canon) can miss on this.  I use this on the Ricoh GR and Q all the time- if only to play with the raw file and get some ideas of what I may do later with it.

Operational speed

Most of the time the camera is fast but some operations seem just a notch laggy- like menu traversal, and if you are in the menu to go back to shoot there's a bit of a delay - it's short but other cameras like the Ricoh GR it's pretty instant.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Kit lens barrel stortion...

you can see it at wide.  I like the effect in this shot though:

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
ISO 2000, Jpeg out of camera, barrel distortion

-- hide signature --

aandeg
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
Re: Some further impressions....

Thanks Raist3d, keep it coming.  Operational wise seems good and better than the previous N1 cameras from what you say.

The grip does not seem to be of much use though now that Nikon has added some versatility in that direction hopefully someone will make a better one perhaps even with extra batteries.

Enjoy your camera!

aandeg's gear list:aandeg's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the review, and test shots, Ricardo! Eventually, I'll be getting either the J4, or the V3 ;-)!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
MattZisk
Like?
Re: ISO 2000, Jpeg out of camera, barrel distortion

Riccardo,

Many thanks for the insights and samples.  The ISO 2000 shot looks pretty good, at least at the relatively small size you posted.  I am very curious how much and the quality of the noise in high-ISO  RAW images.  I hope my V3 from NikonUSA ships today so I'll be able to answer my own questions soon.

Matt

samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?

Raist3d wrote:

The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).

Is it just me or does this camera actively try to repulse its customers by piling on deal-breakers? Can't turn it on when it's writing to card? Seriously?

Hey, could you try whether the EVF works with the V1/V2 if you have them

MattZisk
Like?
In reply to samfan, 5 months ago

samfan wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).

Is it just me or does this camera actively try to repulse its customers by piling on deal-breakers? Can't turn it on when it's writing to card? Seriously?

Hey, could you try whether the EVF works with the V1/V2 if you have them

It's a mistake to turn off the camera when it's writing files, so the fact that it enable you to do so is a plus.

Think about it -- when you turn on the camera, it initializes a lot of things, presumably the buffer, among them (unless you think it should somehow keep some kind of record of the state when turned off), so it's not reasonable to expect that you can start taking pictures when you interrupted the ordinary buffer clearing operation by turning the camera off.

The alternative would be to loose your partially-written buffer content.  I can her people screaming now about their lost photos . . .

If you're still shooting, don't turn it off.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads