Sony a7 very strange issue...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
j0sh
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Sony a7 very strange issue...
7 months ago

Hi guys
I'm having a very strange problem with my sony a7.
Shooting with canon fd 24mm and nd filter in landscape mode I get a strange dark bar on the left of the picture. If I shoot in portrait mode everything is fine...
Without nd filter is all good...
I changed lens from 24mm to 35mm canon fd and have the same issue with the nd filter on...
If I rotate the filter the bar is always on the left... I can even see it in the preview.
Do you know what it could be?

-- hide signature --
 j0sh's gear list:j0sh's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,622Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a7 very strange issue...
In reply to j0sh, 7 months ago

j0sh wrote:

Hi guys
Shooting with canon fd 24mm and nd filter in landscape mode I get a strange dark bar on the left of the picture. If I shoot in portrait mode everything is fine...
I changed lens from 24mm to 35mm canon fd and have the same issue with the nd filter on...
If I rotate the filter the bar is always on the left... I can even see it in the preview.

-- hide signature --

Sounds like something is obstructing the image.

The sensor is wider than it is tall (and the image is a circle) so if something blocks the left side in landscape, if you rotate it to the left in portrait it might no longer be blocking the image that hits the sensor.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j0sh
Like?
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

j0sh wrote:

Hi guys

-- hide signature --

Sounds like something is obstructing the image.

The sensor is wider than it is tall (and the image is a circle) so if something blocks the left side in landscape, if you rotate it to the left in portrait it might no longer be blocking the image that hits the sensor.

Eric

It's weird... I guess the issue is with the nd filter... Without it everything is fine...
--
Please check my pics on http://www.flickr.com/photos/giuseppemilo/

j0sh
Like?
Sample picture

Here is a sample

-- hide signature --
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,345
Like?

I don't think it's a dark bar. I think it is some kind of flare that covers all of the image except the extreme left.

Does it vary according to what direction the camera is pointed ?

Look at the release catch on your lens adapter to see if light is leaking in there. If so, stick a bit of black paper on the inside of the adapter to block the leak.

demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?

j0sh wrote:

Hi guys

-- hide signature --

I think you get the filter with the sky and the ground level.

to get better sky colour and better ground colour.

My Advice no filters.

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10 Canon 600D
Sony nex5n
______

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
j0sh
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 7 months ago

I don't think it's a dark bar. I think it is some kind of flare that covers all of the image except the extreme left.

Look at the release catch on your lens adapter to see if light is leaking in there. If so, stick a bit of black paper on the inside of the adapter to block the leak.

I tried that... With no luck. I posted a sample. The bar is always the same (form & size)
--

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,376Gear list
Like?

j0sh wrote:

What kind of ND-filter, and how is it mounted on the lens? What about other tan Canon lenses and the actual adapter?

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
j0sh
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, 7 months ago

j0sh wrote:

What kind of ND-filter, and how is it mounted on the lens? What about other tan Canon lenses and the actual adapter?

The filter is a 52mm Hoya 10 stops it is screwed on the lens
I need to try the 28-70 kit lens with nd filter but I'm away right now.

-- hide signature --
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064Gear list
Like?
Faulty ND filter?

j0sh wrote:

Here is a sample

Yeah, that's strange alright.

My guess would be that the ND filter is some type of sandwich using gel filters and the gel has shifted slightly or been bleached over time and exposure to light. If so, this should be visible inspecting the ND filter directly. This almost looks like a badly-made homemade ND filter constructed using a piece of exposed film... not that I'd ever do that (again).  

The other possibility would be a loose mask in the light path (e.g., inside an adapter), but that seems less likely given that you say it only happens with the ND filter.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +21 more
j0sh
Like?
Re: Faulty ND filter?
In reply to ProfHankD, 7 months ago

j0sh wrote:

Here is a sample

Yeah, that's strange alright.

My guess would be that the ND filter is some type of sandwich using gel filters and the gel has shifted slightly or been bleached over time and exposure to light. If so, this should be visible inspecting the ND filter directly. This almost looks like a badly-made homemade ND filter constructed using a piece of exposed film... not that I'd ever do that (again).  

The other possibility would be a loose mask in the light path (e.g., inside an adapter), but that seems less likely given that you say it only happens with the ND filter.

Yeah and just in landscape mode O_o
No issues in portrait mode...
--

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 993Gear list
Like?
Re: Faulty ND filter?

Photo of the setup?

Weird indeed!

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,376Gear list
Like?

j0sh wrote:

What surprises me is the sharp edge at the bottom, fading a bit towards the top of the frame. Seems like something is going on close to the sensor rather than in front of the lens.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
shutter?
In reply to Nordstjernen, 7 months ago

Nordstjernen wrote:

j0sh wrote:

What surprises me is the sharp edge at the bottom, fading a bit towards the top of the frame. Seems like something is going on close to the sensor rather than in front of the lens.

I think the same. I mean if it happens in portrait but not landscape it has to be something mechanical. Maybe the shutter is still a bit there with the long eposure times? Maybe it's a mechanical shutter problem.

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
D Cox
Like?

j0sh wrote:

I tried that... With no luck. I posted a sample. The bar is always the same (form & size)

Well, just try wrapping a dark cloth around both the adapter and the lens mount of the camera. It could possibly be the famous light leak around the lens mount -- which again is said to be worst at the position of the release catch (the one on the camera).

The more I look at it the more it looks like a light leak.

Here is a light leak from an adapter. The subject is a very dark (badly underexposed) 35mm slide that I was digitising.

And here without the leak.

D Cox
Like?
Re: shutter?
In reply to Zeisschen, 7 months ago

Zeisschen wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

j0sh wrote:

What surprises me is the sharp edge at the bottom, fading a bit towards the top of the frame. Seems like something is going on close to the sensor rather than in front of the lens.

I think the same. I mean if it happens in portrait but not landscape it has to be something mechanical. Maybe the shutter is still a bit there with the long eposure times? Maybe it's a mechanical shutter problem.

Assuming it is a light leak, then the point where the light is getting in may be in shadow in portrait mode.

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064Gear list
Like?
If it is a light leak...

j0sh wrote:

I saw that you had said that; a bad gel filter is still a possibility by either shifting or getting internal reflections within the filter assembly.

I see folks suggesting a light leak, and that's possible too. If it's a light leak in your lens adapter, the reason it would be showing only with the ND filter is simply that without the ND filter, the leak isn't bright enough to show over the image -- but it would really always be there. Test for this by trying a shot with a lens cap on. If it's a light leak, you'll get an image of the leak by itself with an opaque lens cap on....

Of course, the reason you might not see a light leak with the camera rotated would be that the leak is blocked by you hand, a shift in the play in the adapter, etc.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +21 more
j0sh
Like?
Re: If it is a light leak...
In reply to ProfHankD, 7 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

j0sh wrote:

I saw that you had said that; a bad gel filter is still a possibility by either shifting or getting internal reflections within the filter assembly.

I see folks suggesting a light leak, and that's possible too. If it's a light leak in your lens adapter, the reason it would be showing only with the ND filter is simply that without the ND filter, the leak isn't bright enough to show over the image -- but it would really always be there. Test for this by trying a shot with a lens cap on. If it's a light leak, you'll get an image of the leak by itself with an opaque lens cap on....

Of course, the reason you might not see a light leak with the camera rotated would be that the leak is blocked by you hand, a shift in the play in the adapter, etc.

I guess you're right. I tried to cover the lens with a scarf and the leak was gone... so it has to be the fotodiox adapter or the famous sony's leak issue

-- hide signature --
j0sh
Like?

D Cox wrote:

j0sh wrote:

Well, just try wrapping a dark cloth around both the adapter and the lens mount of the camera. It could possibly be the famous light leak around the lens mount -- which again is said to be worst at the position of the release catch (the one on the camera).

The more I look at it the more it looks like a light leak.

Here is a light leak from an adapter. The subject is a very dark (badly underexposed) 35mm slide that I was digitising.

And here without the leak.

You're right.. I tried with a scarf on the lens and the leak was gone... it has to be an issue with the adapter OR the camera... I'll try with the kit lens next week.

-- hide signature --
j0sh
Like?
Re: shutter?

D Cox wrote:

Zeisschen wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

j0sh wrote:

Assuming it is a light leak, then the point where the light is getting in may be in shadow in portrait mode.

I tried covering the lens with a scarf and the leak was gone...

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads