>>>>> Challenge 233 "Variations" <<<<<

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
BarryRS
Contributing MemberPosts: 720
Like?
>>>>> Challenge 233 "Variations" <<<<<
4 months ago

Rather than a specific theme or the use of specific techniques or settings, for this challenge I am asking you to choose the theme yourself and play with it.

So, this is the idea. Your three entries will all have the same subject but in 3 variations which could be e.g.

3 different times of day or week
3 different angles / poses etc.
3 different settings/ lenses / filters etc.
3 different crops / PP treatments of the same shot (check out the C97 challenge http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30319129)

and so on and so on, I'm sure you can think of more on the same lines. It may be a good idea to enter the original if it's substantially different from the actual entry.

I've modified the competition and exhibition galleries just for this chalenge so that your 3 entries will all be in the same row. I've put 3 placeholders in these 2 galleries and 3 more entries in the exhibition to give some ideas.

The Challenge starts now and will last until April 28 at 21h GMT, when we will open the voting period.

Newcomers are totally welcome and encouraged to join the fun. Any 4/3 or m4/3rd camera can enter the Competition gallery with an image captured dring the challenge period, and any camera at all can enter the Exhibition gallery with an image taken any time. Just post here if you need assistance to get images into the gallery.

To post a photo in any of the galleries select the gallery of choice from below: Competition or Exhibition or Originals. On the top of the page you will see "edit this gallery", click on that and it will ask fro a password. Enter "kickass" (sorry Mom, just keep it lower case) and you should be able to make it from there to upload your image. If you still need assistance be sure to ask.

Add your name after the title, in the title. PLEASE LIMIT YOUR IMAGE SIZES TO 800 PIXELS OR LESS on the long side, and make sure the file size is no more than 200kb. Pbase lets us run these challenges free on their website, so please honor their geerosity by keeping the appropriate file size. Ensure the EXIF data is intact for the competion, with the camera model and the date it was taken (and also if you can it's fun to include the lens you used)

Starting gallery contains the other galleries and a link to the general rules:http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c233_challenge

COMPETITION GALLERY-- for pictures taken the the theme with 4/3 or m4/3 rd cameras, during the challenge entry time: http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c233_competition

EXHIBITION GALLERY-- for pictures taken to the theme an any time, with any camera: http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c233_exhibition

Originals gallery-- if you want to show how the original photo looked before you modified it: http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c233_originals

If your clock doesn't show GMT (and Whose does?) here is Catman's time calculator: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

Now go out and have some fun!

BarryRS
Like?
One more thing . . .
In reply to BarryRS, 4 months ago

I'm just floating an idea for your consideration and consultation. Three entries are stipulated but I was wondering whether this condition might be too restrictive for this particular challenge and could or should be relaxed, i.e. to allow the submission of more than one set of 3 images. This was done, I recall, in the case of Brent Lossing's " Oh! Crop!" Challenge (http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c97_challenge) although in that case the voting was for each set of 3 images, whereas here I think that the voting should be for individual images.

Your feedback will be appreciated

Barry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,218Gear list
Like?
Newbie question

BarryRS wrote:

3 different settings/ lenses / filters etc.

The main purpose of this post is to let you know that I have seen this and do plan to enter, in light of our recent exchange in the other thread.

However, as I am the new guy, I feel more comfortable asking a question that I suspect others to be wondering about but too shy to ask.

If I choose to make my three images "different settings/ lenses / filters etc." would it be acceptable if one of the three variations was accomplished by leaving the lens cap on?

No, I'm not serious.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
BarryRS
Like?
Re: Newbie question
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 4 months ago

If I choose to make my three images "different settings/ lenses / filters etc." would it be acceptable if one of the three variations was accomplished by leaving the lens cap on?

No, I'm not serious.

LOL

On the other hand, some might consider it to be quite acceptable e.g.

http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78976

Like?
Re: Newbie question

BarryRS wrote:

On the other hand, some might consider it to be quite acceptable e.g.

http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78976

With the right marketing it could probably be sold for thousands.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
wearwear
Regular MemberPosts: 318Gear list
Like?
3 In the X
-- hide signature --
 wearwear's gear list:wearwear's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Stefan Kaben
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,648Gear list
Like?
Re: One more thing . . .

Great idea for a theme, Barry; so many possibilities! My head is buzzing (or is that the coffee? )

Just my opinion, but I think that if we are voting on individual images, then one set of three should be the limit. That gets us working in two ways at once: thematically to get a coherent set of variations just to qualify; and artistically to get the most aesthetically pleasing individual entries as possible, within those variations.

Oh, give me some more coffee please!

-- hide signature --
 Stefan Kaben's gear list:Stefan Kaben's gear list
Olympus E-M1
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,333
Like?

My view is that a set of 3 images forms a cohesive unit upon which we vote - after all that is what the challenge is 'frame 3 images that conform to a theme of your choosing'. Part of the measure of success would be how well someone has used 3 individual images to form a cohesive whole. I feel that we should vote on the set, rather than on the images within that set. Participants should submit 1,2 or 3 sets which equates to 3,6 or 9 images.

The alternative is that you are simply inviting people to submit 3 pictures to a theme of their choice. Nothing wrong with this - but the first is more challenging as their is not only the challenge of taking good images but also the challenge of creating an interesting set.

You asked for views Barry

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Like?
In reply to yyr, 4 months ago

yyr wrote:

the first is more challenging as their is not only the challenge of taking good images but also the challenge of creating an interesting set.

You asked for views Barry

I agree. The other way seems to defeat the point.

BarryRS
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 4 months ago

I'm quite happy to go along with that. I had thought of it in fact but I was a bit concerned about using up too much pbase space. However, if the number of entries is of the same order as in the past challenges, this might not be a problem. I'd be interested to hear the views of Stefan and others before making a final decision.

Barry

Stefan Kaben
Like?

I'm cool with whatever people want. Three sets of three simply means a lot more eye candy.

To keep the voting simple, though, the titles of #2 and #3 in each set should include the words "Do not vote." For example, "Goofball On Board - Stefan - Do not Vote." That way, every contestant will just have up to three images in the voting booth (namely, the first one from each set). What do you think?

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1
zbahu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893
Like?
In reply to Stefan Kaben, 4 months ago

Stefan Kaben wrote:

I'm cool with whatever people want. Three sets of three simply means a lot more eye candy.

To keep the voting simple, though, the titles of #2 and #3 in each set should include the words "Do not vote." For example, "Goofball On Board - Stefan - Do not Vote." That way, every contestant will just have up to three images in the voting booth (namely, the first one from each set). What do you think?

-- hide signature --

That sounds sensible to me - as long as the voting machine doesn't think its the end of the thumbnails!

zbahu
Like?
First 3 in exhibition

Its about the cakes, not the model, honest!    

yyr
yyr
Like?
In reply to zbahu, 4 months ago

zbahu wrote:

Stefan Kaben wrote:

-- hide signature --

That sounds sensible to me - as long as the voting machine doesn't think its the end of the thumbnails!

Sounds fine to me to. I dont think the voting machine will have a problem.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr
yyr
Like?
2 sets in X
-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

yyr
yyr
Like?
Re: First 3 in exhibition
In reply to zbahu, 4 months ago

zbahu wrote:

Its about the cakes, not the model, honest!

Yeah, sure.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

zbahu
Like?
The next 3 are about the dog !

Really!

Stefan Kaben
Like?

We've done it before, successfully. It was either Brent's Oh Crop! or somebody's (Goffen's?) where we had to take three shots within a few minutes. Anyway, Warren Sarle is the MAN!

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1
BarryRS
Like?
In reply to Stefan Kaben, 4 months ago

Great, that's settled then! I'm posting an addendum to my first post. I was thinking about the voting as well and I think that Stefan's idea is the most logical and should cause no big problem.
Barry

BarryRS
Like?
Addendum to the insructions

By popular demand, each participant can now enter up to three sets of three images in each of the competition and exhibition challenges. The votes willl be for each set of three images as a whole and more detailed instructions will be provided in due course.
Let the games begin!
Barry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads