V3 vs V1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386Gear list
Like?
V3 vs V1
6 months ago

So with the V3 about to be released I took a quick look at specs to see if an upgrade is worthwhile. From what I can see the V3 improves the following over the V1:

18 vs 10mp.

No optical low pass filter.

Increased number of AF points.

20 vs 10fps with AF-C.

Maximum iso increased to 12,800 from 6400.

Built in wifi and remote capability.

Improved video.

PSAM mode dial.

Programmable function buttons.

Built in flash.

Vari-angle LCD screen.

These are all nice improvements but worth the $$. I don't know. And unfortunately, no indication low light performance has improved in any significant way. Time to wait for some hands-on reviews.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NexMan
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Re: V3 vs V1
In reply to The Smoking Camera, 6 months ago

Nice summary, it seems it's been ages since they officially announced the V3, would be nice for Nikon to get the camera out to some reviewers asap.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?

In other flash news, the grass is green.

nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,281
Like?

i'm not buying on spec either. will wait for actual hands-on, and QA reports.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Sangster
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

Just saw Henrys advertise Fuji XE1 with 18-55 f 2.8-4 for $800. This would be a really tempting upgrade for me if I was in the market as opposed to V3.

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,150Gear list
Like?
I would like to check one out...

and thinking about pre-ordering.  But I am still concerned about a few things-

It seems like Nikon really doesn't care about the Nikon 1 system owners

- different batteries

- different len build styles

- in the USA, you can have any V3 you want as long as it's packed with the EVF, kit lens and grip

- grip doesn't allow to change batteries.

I am still intrigued but I look at these things and I scratch my head when I see $1,200 USD.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Sangster
Like?
Re: I would like to check one out...
In reply to Raist3d, 6 months ago

The way N1 is being flog, I am afraid, may eventually lead to its demise. As such I am reluctant to commit anymore resources.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Johannes Zander
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?

The Smoking Camera wrote:

So with the V3 about to be released I took a quick look at specs to see if an upgrade is worthwhile. From what I can see the V3 improves the following over the V1:

18 vs 10mp.

10mp is enough for me and most Pictures are posted on the Internet anyway, when I need more I use my D800.

Does that realy matter much?

Thats a point

20 vs 10fps with AF-C.

10fps is fast enough for me

Well, all depends on the output. Most of the times I am on Auto up to 800iso with my V1

For me not needed

Improved video.

For casual use V1 Video is good.

PSAM mode dial.

Most of the time I am in A mode, learned to live without it.

Tahts a point

Built in flash.

Well, I rather have a build in EVF.

Vari-angle LCD screen.

Some Need it, I don't

These are all nice improvements but worth the $$. I don't know. And unfortunately, no indication low light performance has improved in any significant way. Time to wait for some hands-on reviews.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

The Major improvements in the V3 I wished for were CLS, all focus Points usable with FT1 Adapter.

The big minus is no build in EVF. Another battery and mini SD cards

Johannes Zander's gear list:Johannes Zander's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sangster, 6 months ago

Sangster wrote:

The way N1 is being flog, I am afraid, may eventually lead to its demise. As such I am reluctant to commit anymore resources.

Sounds like a typical self-fulfilling prophecy.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?

For me that's the most interesting part. From what I've read the PDAF area now almost covers the whole frame instead of the centre section (like on the V1).

That's the most disappointing feature, so poorly made that it almost hurts. The camera acting as a hotspot? How stupid is that?. I don't want to change the WiFi access point every time I want to move images from the camera to my smartphone. Why isn't it possible to connect the camera to my computer via WiFi and access the SD card just like a network attached storage? Has anybody at Nikon a clue what a computer is in the year 2014?

PSAM mode dial.

For some strange reasons people love PSAM dials, don't know why. Everybody is happy about that dial, so it's good to have it.

Nice. Finally a dedicated ISO button. I'm curious how changing ISO will work with that button. Will we just get the ISO menu or will we be able to change ISO without a change in the EVF (beside the ISO).

Built in flash.

In my opinion a completely useless thing - unless it acts as a commander, which it doesn't on the V3.

These are all nice improvements but worth the $$. I don't know.

No, the V3 is about $200 overpriced. Nikon likes to get the money of early adopters. Here in Germany the price will drop to reasonable levels in a few months, but from what I've read Nikon US doesn't allow such price drops. I get the impression that Nikon US is making a lot of errors that could be avoided.

And unfortunately, no indication low light performance has improved in any significant way. …

18 MP while keeping the same pixel level noise should result in cleaner images at final display size. Guess it won't take long until we see more test images.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
In reply to Raist3d, 6 months ago

Did you know Nikon USA offered the kit PLUS the ft-1 adapter for $1200? Now they have dropped it.

So while they are pricing themselves out of the market, people are buying other makes, getting different lenses and making it much tougher to ever move back to Nikon. In a time when less people are buying camera in the smaller end of the market, preferring to use their phones out of convenience or to save some dollars. Well, I guess no one ever accused their marketing department of genius.

Blanko00
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?

When reading the reviews, it might be a good idea to keep in the back of your mind how those early reviews of the first Nikon 1 releases went.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,067Gear list
Like?
In reply to Blanko00, 6 months ago

I will be more interested to see what a veteran 1 series user on here has to say about the V3 when they get their hands on one....

......now who on here has more money than sense?  

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 2,128Gear list
Like?

I think you forgot about the improved viewfinder.

Now . . . compare all those upgrades to the differences between the Nikon D200 and D300 bodies.

Hmmm . . . but THAT was considered an upgrade people thought was worthwhile.

Besides, did you forget that the V3 can shoot full resolution photos at 60 fps? That alone is worth the upgrade for some people. Add the fact that the resolution is almost doubled (in total number of pixels) AND the anti-aliasing filter is removed, and you get a no-brainer decision.

Now add the fact that the newer camera is probably faster in EVERY way . . . with a faster memory card slot, which can take advantage of the fastest new UHS-1 memory cards.

And BTW, the fact that the screen tilts is SO important for many people (like me) that just that one feature makes the new camera worth getting. All the extra features, like Wi-Fi and other stuff are just icing on the cake, even if you don't care about the increase in resolution.

Imagine what people would have been saying if Nikon had introduced a D400 last year, before they introduced the D7100 with its 24 megapixel sensor, and it shot at 18 MP with no anti-aliasing filter? Everyone with a D300 or D300s would have been clamoring to get one.

Now, after thinking of ALL those things, is it worthwhile upgrade? If you don't care about speed the extra functionality of having a fold-out screen, or image quality, then NO it isn't worthwhile. If you DO care about those things, then it IS worthwhile . . . and you get all the other extras, like wi-fi and higher ISO (mostly for shooting video), and a better viewfinder as EXTRAS that you really didn't need, but you get them anyway . . . because you're getting the newest, latest, fastest, coolest, most betterous model.

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Scottelly
Like?
In reply to Johannes Zander, 6 months ago

Johannes Zander wrote:

18 vs 10mp.

10mp is enough for me and most Pictures are posted on the Internet anyway, when I need more I use my D800.

Does that realy matter much?

Yes. No optical "low pass" filter (anti-aliasing filter) is HUGE. Have you seen the difference between the D800 and D800e? It is significant . . . like a 30% increase in megapixels. It makes the 18 megapixel sensor perform like a 24 megapixel sensor would, but without the added noise.

Thats a point

20 vs 10fps with AF-C.

10fps is fast enough for me

Maybe for you, but I'd love to be able to chose between four photos of the football player running down the field, about to get a touch down, rather than just two. (Then there are the photos of birds in flight, bees taking off from a flower, etc.)

Well, all depends on the output. Most of the times I am on Auto up to 800iso with my V1

I would imagine the higher ISO will be mostly an improvement useful for video shooters and paparazzi.

For me not needed

For some people this is a reason to buy the camera . . . or a dozen of these cameras.

Improved video.

For casual use V1 Video is good.

Some professional videographers will use the V3 for shooting videos, because they can buy them cheap and carry a lot of them in one bag. And if I'm not mistaken these little cameras perform like a Canon 70 D, but with a much more compact size and the ability to shoot 18 megapixel stills at 60 frames per second. Oh . . . and they give you the ability to shoot stuff WAY far away, with little, compact lenses. For some video shooters that is a HUGE benefit.

PSAM mode dial.

Most of the time I am in A mode, learned to live without it.

I bet you could learn to live with just a point and shoot camera.

Tahts a point

Built in flash.

Well, I rather have a build in EVF.

Me too . . . but the new, removable EVF is higher resolution, and if it stops working you can easily replace it. There is something to be said for modular systems.

Vari-angle LCD screen.

Some Need it, I don't

That is the key - some NEED it. That is a reason why many people will make a decision to try a Nikon 1 camera . . . finally.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

The Major improvements in the V3 I wished for were CLS, all focus Points usable with FT1 Adapter.

The big minus is no build in EVF. Another battery and mini SD cards

What do you mean by mini SD cards? Doesn't the V3 take SD cards? I haven't heard they have switched to mini SD. That is an obsolete format! Why the hell would they switch from SD to mini SD? They should have gone all the way to micro SD! WTF?!?!?!

Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Sangster
Like?
In reply to Scottelly, 6 months ago

Scottelly wrote:

Now . . . compare all those upgrades to the differences between the Nikon D200 and D300 bodies.

Besides, did you forget that the V3 can shoot full resolution photos at 60 fps? That alone is worth the upgrade for some people. Add the fact that the resolution is almost doubled (in total number of pixels) AND the anti-aliasing filter is removed, and you get a no-brainer decision.

Now add the fact that the newer camera is probably faster in EVERY way . . . with a faster memory card slot, which can take advantage of the fastest new UHS-1 memory cards.

And BTW, the fact that the screen tilts is SO important for many people (like me) that just that one feature makes the new camera worth getting. All the extra features, like Wi-Fi and other stuff are just icing on the cake, even if you don't care about the increase in resolution.

Imagine what people would have been saying if Nikon had introduced a D400 last year, before they introduced the D7100 with its 24 megapixel sensor, and it shot at 18 MP with no anti-aliasing filter? Everyone with a D300 or D300s would have been clamoring to get one.

Now, after thinking of ALL those things, is it worthwhile upgrade? If you don't care about speed the extra functionality of having a fold-out screen, or image quality, then NO it isn't worthwhile. If you DO care about those things, then it IS worthwhile . . . and you get all the other extras, like wi-fi and higher ISO (mostly for shooting video), and a better viewfinder as EXTRAS that you really didn't need, but you get them anyway . . . because you're getting the newest, latest, fastest, coolest, most betterous model.

Its 100% true.  Japanese have an insatiable demand for new gadgets and most them never make it to the export market.

Sonyshine
Like?
Many things about the V3 sound good...but....

Scottelly wrote:

I like many things about the V3. The fold out screen I really miss from my NEX cameras.

I'm sure the EVF will be good but it should be built in!

The sensor and overall speed and responsiveness I'm sure will be very good too.

Micro SD and yet another battery - Pffft! But its not a deal breaker.

WIFI and video don't bother me either way.

By the way I miss-type V3 quite often and type V£ for some reason..... £££££'s - oh yes- price!

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Scottelly
Like?
In reply to Sangster, 6 months ago

Sangster wrote:

Just saw Henrys advertise Fuji XE1 with 18-55 f 2.8-4 for $800. This would be a really tempting upgrade for me if I was in the market as opposed to V3.

This assumes you don't have Nikon lenses that you want to use on your new camera. Nikon is depending on people who think of Nikon as the best camera and lens company and photographers who are already have an investment in Nikon lenses that they like, such as the 16-85mm VR, 85mm f1.4, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VR II, or 70-200mm f2.8 VR, etc. Any of those lenses would make a great companion (using the FT-1 adapter) to the V3 and its included 10-30mm lens. For example, a photographer who shoots with a D7000 and an 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VR II would be able to use their new camera for wide-angle shooting with their 10-30mm lens, and they would get super fast performance at a slightly higher pixel count. Then the photographer might go to a baseball game and find they want to zoom in on their kid, but the D7000 doesn't quite give them the close shots they want. The could pull out their FT-1 adapter and move their 18-200 lens from their big camera to their fast little camera with the 2.7 crop factor and shoot away, getting the shots they want. The new camera would not only be a good back-up camera, but it would also give an advantage for shooting at longer distances. Imagine how that lens would perform for shooting sparrows?

Sonyshine
Like?

Scottelly wrote:

Sangster wrote:

This assumes you don't have Nikon lenses that you want to use on your new camera. Nikon is depending on people who think of Nikon as the best camera and lens company and photographers who are already have an investment in Nikon lenses that they like, such as the 16-85mm VR, 85mm f1.4, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VR II, or 70-200mm f2.8 VR, etc. Any of those lenses would make a great companion (using the FT-1 adapter) to the V3 and its included 10-30mm lens. For example, a photographer who shoots with a D7000 and an 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VR II would be able to use their new camera for wide-angle shooting with their 10-30mm lens, and they would get super fast performance at a slightly higher pixel count. Then the photographer might go to a baseball game and find they want to zoom in on their kid, but the D7000 doesn't quite give them the close shots they want. The could pull out their FT-1 adapter and move their 18-200 lens from their big camera to their fast little camera with the 2.7 crop factor and shoot away, getting the shots they want. The new camera would not only be a good back-up camera, but it would also give an advantage for shooting at longer distances. Imagine how that lens would perform for shooting sparrows?

I reckon the 70-200 F4 would be a better lens on the V series - its lighter than the f2.8 and would be just as sharp, except in the lowest light.

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,198Gear list
Like?

Scottelly wrote:The big minus is no build in EVF. Another battery and mini SD cards

What do you mean by mini SD cards? Doesn't the V3 take SD cards? I haven't heard they have switched to mini SD. That is an obsolete format! Why the hell would they switch from SD to mini SD? They should have gone all the way to micro SD! WTF?!?!?!

They actually did go to Micro SD cards

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads