What are quirks and strengths of the K5ii?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,032Gear list
Like?
What are quirks and strengths of the K5ii?
8 months ago

Hi all, I'm test driving an E-M1 but my main camera is an Olympus E-3. I'm not sure if mirrorless is my main squeeze but it will always be the best sidekick. Since Olympus gives me nowhere to go in DSLRs I've been thinking about a K5ii + Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 as one option.

What would I miss? What would I gain?

I think I'd miss tilt swivel LCD, dual card slots, Oly dust buster, Oly JPG color engine and my Zuiko lenses.

I'd gain better high ISO, DR, slightly smaller body, slightly better DOF control with APS-C sensor.

What quirks and strengths do you see that I don't have the experience with the K5ii to see?

Thanks for the feedback.

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
howieb101
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Re: What are quirks and strengths of the K5ii?
In reply to SirSeth, 8 months ago

I doubt you'll miss the Oly dustbuster as the one in the K5 is one of the best.  My old K10 and K20 were dust magnets but the K5 dust removal really is great and underappreciated in reviews and the like.

The biggest drawback of the K5 and K5 II is slow review time to check your photos.  The K5 and K5 II will achieve the quoted buffer and frame rates its just that reviewing can take a while.

Tracking AF might be inferior but against a mirrorless Olympus it probably stacks up quite well and may well be better.

Pluses would be:

1. optical viewfinder (which also helps if taking action shots); 
  2. great ergonomics;
  3. top lcd plate (at least for me);
  4. Superb dynamic range;
  5. Great hi-iso;
  6. Battery grip option;
  7. Most likely better battery life;
  8. Amazing ability to pull shadows from raw files!!! Really quite incredible.
  9. Great friendly forum (Pentax Forums, that is) 

Howie B

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
debo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591Gear list
Like?
have the K-5ii and the X-E1

I think the X-E1 + 27mm is a nice portable kit. However when it comes to speed of execution (in terms of photos) I think the K-5ii shines since I have more lenses for the Pentax (including the FA limiteds) ... but I must say that my FA limiteds look awesome on the Fuji sensor. Hence I am keeping both for now

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,143Gear list
Like?

SirSeth wrote:

Hi all, I'm test driving an E-M1 but my main camera is an Olympus E-3. I'm not sure if mirrorless is my main squeeze but it will always be the best sidekick. Since Olympus gives me nowhere to go in DSLRs I've been thinking about a K5ii + Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 as one option.

Here's my take based on the way I use it (I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom so can't comment on JPEG performance).

Pro's (compared with other competitor dSLRs)

• Ergonomics
  • Battery life
  • Option of pancake prime lenses if you want to travel light
  • Weather sealed

Negatives

• Continuous AF not up to the mark
  • Unpredictable bounced flash with external flash units. Fixed on K-3.

Haven't handled the E-3 so can't comment. But the K-5II (and IIs) are very well sorted, reliable cameras.

-- hide signature --
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to howieb101, 8 months ago

howieb101 wrote:

I doubt you'll miss the Oly dustbuster as the one in the K5 is one of the best. My old K10 and K20 were dust magnets but the K5 dust removal really is great and underappreciated in reviews and the like.

The biggest drawback of the K5 and K5 II is slow review time to check your photos. The K5 and K5 II will achieve the quoted buffer and frame rates its just that reviewing can take a while.

your kidding right ? my 4 yo k7 is instant, the review couldn't get any quicker. when I shoot a dance school I will shoot 1000 portraits over 2 days tethered to a hd screen and its awesome leaves the d7100 for dead.

cheers don

Tracking AF might be inferior but against a mirrorless Olympus it probably stacks up quite well and may well be better.

Pluses would be:

2. great ergonomics;
  4. Superb dynamic range;
  5. Great hi-iso;
  6. Battery grip option;

Howie B

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

robbo d
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, 8 months ago

I have the K5IIs.............

Pro's:

IQ, especially in RAW files, great Dynamic range, battery life excellent, Can focus on a black hole in a dark universe.......so good in low light.

Great ergonomics.

I am using the Metz 58 flash at the moment and looks great so far............no issues with bounce or diffused light

Cons:

Write speed is generally slow even with a fast card, almost as if it needs to warm up(I shoot mainly RAW), then after a while it's writing instantly (bizarre?) ....maybe I need to look at firmware updates....

Research your lens AF speeds. 18-135 is noted as being quick, but the 50-135 is a bit of a slouch, but my Sigma's seem quick enough. (17-50 f2.8 is an absolute peach!!)

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
robbo d
Like?
K5ii?...slow review
In reply to Donald B, 8 months ago

Donald,

Yes i'm having the same issue. I haven't bothered even looking into the menu, so could be just a simple push of a button,will check it out when home. Your getting instant response from the K7?

Also, you tether it up to a TV screen? just using the cables, your getting an instant idea of how your shots are looking? interesting...........

Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, 8 months ago

Model Mike wrote:

SirSeth wrote:

Here's my take based on the way I use it (I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom so can't comment on JPEG performance).

Pro's (compared with other competitor dSLRs)

• Ergonomics
  • Battery life
  • Option of pancake prime lenses if you want to travel light
  • Weather sealed

Negatives

• Continuous AF not up to the mark
  • Unpredictable bounced flash with external flash units. Fixed on K-3.

Haven't handled the E-3 so can't comment. But the K-5II (and IIs) are very well sorted, reliable cameras.

Greetings Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I also primarily shoot RAW and process in LR, so JPGs are not a make or break issue for me. Of the things you mentioned compared with other DSLRs, Olympus shares a lot of the strengths of Pentax (that's why I'm looking). Only Pentax and Olympus really seals crop sensor cameras. When I bought my E-1 it was the only sealed option other than $4000+ Nikon Pro or Canon 1 series. This was a major buying decision. Then Pentax really began to offer a second option. Olympus also has an excellent enthusiast and pro weather sealed lens line which is why I have stayed with them so long. Ergonomics are fantastic with both (I've compared against the K5 in store). Battery life are good with both and I have vertical grip with my E-1. Both E-3/5 and K5ii have a 100% quality VF, which is important to me.

Olympus is also not a top contender for AF tracking. Nikon and Canon have the edge there. Neither Pentax or Olympus really has nailed the video. The E-M1 and GH1 are pretty advanced compared with any DSLR I've used though.

So I'm pretty much looking at Pentax for similar pros and cons I originally bought into Olympus for but now as a way forward because of the sensor inside. The lenses I've giving up are pretty hard to match imo, so there is some loss as well as gain. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to robbo d, 8 months ago

Robbo D Thanks!

Good to hear the focus is reliable in low light. My E-3 is pretty good at that, where as the E-1 was really bad. The E-M1 sometimes has a hard time locking in low light with subjects that lack hard contrast lines.

Interested in peoples comments on flash. I use flash quite a bit with Cactus triggers, and bounce flash very frequently.

I'm also researching lenses. My favorite lenses are my 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 (22-44mm equiv) and 50-200mm f2.8-3.5. (100-400mm equiv). They are completely sealed, sharp all the way across the frame, fast, compact, and yield great color sharpness and contrast. There really are no direct equivalents. I'll probably keep my 11-22mm and E-1 even if I decide to make a switch.

What are your favorite lenses and their strengths/weaknesses? Thanks for the feedback on AF speed. I'll check out the 17-50mm.

Cheers,

Seth

robbo d wrote:

I have the K5IIs.............

Pro's:

IQ, especially in RAW files, great Dynamic range, battery life excellent, Can focus on a black hole in a dark universe.......so good in low light.

Great ergonomics.

I am using the Metz 58 flash at the moment and looks great so far............no issues with bounce or diffused light

Cons:

Write speed is generally slow even with a fast card, almost as if it needs to warm up(I shoot mainly RAW), then after a while it's writing instantly (bizarre?) ....maybe I need to look at firmware updates....

Research your lens AF speeds. 18-135 is noted as being quick, but the 50-135 is a bit of a slouch, but my Sigma's seem quick enough. (17-50 f2.8 is an absolute peach!!)

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth
Like?
In reply to howieb101, 8 months ago

howieb101 wrote:

I doubt you'll miss the Oly dustbuster as the one in the K5 is one of the best. My old K10 and K20 were dust magnets but the K5 dust removal really is great and underappreciated in reviews and the like.

That's howie,

The dust buster in Olympus has been sorted since 2004. Never had a dust spot and I change lenses without any special consideration. Once I did change lenses on a moving train traveling through a blooming cherry orchard and forgot to turn my camera off. Several pictures were covered with spots until I turned the camera off again then back on. Glad to hear that Pentax has also paid attention to this detail. Canon and Nikon seem to have an attitude that "If we say it's not a problem, we are the best, so it's not a problem. Have your camera professionally cleaned once a month."  

The biggest drawback of the K5 and K5 II is slow review time to check your photos. The K5 and K5 II will achieve the quoted buffer and frame rates its just that reviewing can take a while.

Interesting. I've not heard this. I'm using a Standisk Extreme with my E-3 with no issues. Review on the E-M1 is no problem. Both have good buffers. (Buffer is one reason I think Nikon is feature stripping on their D7100).

So if you turn on max fps and fill the buffer, how long does it take before review? Just out of curiosity, how much of an issue is this?

Probably better than mirrorless, though the E-M1 is a leap forward here. I do wonder how it stacks up against the E-3. I hear Nikon and Canon are amazing here, but I don't really have enough experience to tell. I'd like to put a D300s or 7D through the paces for tracking moving subjects. If the K5ii is better than my E-3 then bonus, but if it's worse... then it makes the decision against moving to the most recent mirrorless more difficult. Theh E-M1 really good at so many things, but it would be a larger adjustment for me than buying a pretty similar DSLR.

Pluses would be:

2. great ergonomics;
  4. Superb dynamic range;
  5. Great hi-iso;
  6. Battery grip option;

Only 4 & 5 is what I gain over the E-3. That's why Pentax is so interesting to me--many of the same priorities are checked. I do lose tilt swivel LCD and Zuiko lenses which are cheap as dirt right now.

Cheers,

Seth

Howie B

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

robbo d
Like?
Re: lenses with K5IIs

Currently I am sticking with:

17-50f2.8 Sigma - very sharp and good AF speed. Bit heavy as with most new Sigma lenses. Built like tanks but high quality optics. Stays on camera most of the time.

DA50-135 f2.8. Not so fast AF, but beautiful optics and bokeh. Nice for portraits and weddings. Have found occasionally jams and wont shoot, stuck AF. I have to re focus and try looking for more contrast. Unsure if anyone else has this issue(?)

DA12-24 F4. nice wide zoom. Initially didn't like it. Also had AF issues at infinity focus and didn't think it was so sharp. But for some unknown reason seem to have worn in ? Wierd, now focus' ok and getting good sharp results.

Sigma 50mm f1.4 - Purchased with the 50-135 as a bundle. Not used it much. F1.4 gives an absolute killer low light combo with the k5IIs. Reasonably sharp and the newer version superbly so.

DA18-55mm kit lens - A piece of true kit lens ....rubbish. Gives good results mid focal length and at f8.

DA55-300 kit lens - A real bargain with surprisingly good value for money and optics. Sharp enough throughout the range at f5.6. Hunts for focus and noisy on my Kx, not tried it on the k5 yet. Small, light but quality is ok.

FA28-105mm - old film zoom that's surprisingly good throughout the range. Not one i'd buy now, but it was cheap, new and a good option at the time. Pretty good results on my Kx.

50mm A f2 film lens. Manual focus but with Aperture priority auto. Still gives good results.

These lenses do me for what I need. Wish list:

Macro, perhaps DFA10mm Pentax or either Tamron or Sigma.

150 -500 Sigma or the new Tamron .....600mm for wildlife if i ever do much of that.

DA18-135 WR (light, weather sealed, good colours, little lens flare, fast focus) or perhaps the new Sigma 18-200 as walkabout lenses on holiday.

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?
Re: K5ii?...slow review

robbo d wrote:

Donald,

Yes i'm having the same issue. I haven't bothered even looking into the menu, so could be just a simple push of a button,will check it out when home. Your getting instant response from the K7?

Also, you tether it up to a TV screen? just using the cables, your getting an instant idea of how your shots are looking? interesting...........

their are only a few cameras that can stream hdmi out. the k7 is faultless and fast.

-- hide signature --

robbo d
Like?
K7 tethering system

Hey, that's got possibilities.........obviously your dance work.....but studio as well, so you can see what result your getting straight away. Similar to FLU card. Get a cheap K7 and your TV and away you go......I Like it

waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?

The lag is produced by 2 settings, "Automatic CA and Distortion Correction" that post-processes the image after shots are taken. If you need fast instant review, dissable both options on menu, or through "info" button, and process the image later on computer.

robbo d
Like?
In reply to waxwaine, 8 months ago

@waxwaine..........thanks for that, not sue which i prefer, guess it depends on the lens i am using.

jay_akita
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: K5ii?...slow review

Donald B wrote:

robbo d wrote:

Donald,

their are only a few cameras that can stream hdmi out. the k7 is faultless and fast.

-- hide signature --

Yeah except for IQ and AF that was already mediocre for it's time and shutter shock @ ~1/100s, I guess you consider them features

To OP - I went from K5 (and K7, K20, K100 before that) to EM5 & D800.  K5 IQ (RAW) is phenomenal, and there are many great lenses optically.  Most strong points have already been touched on or you're aware of.  I think review time is only an issue with slow cards or fast cards with in camera lens corrections enabled.  Buffer depth is very good IMO and review time is good with corrections disabled.

A couple of standout things that sold me on the EM5 (my first and only Olympus):

- Exceptional AF (single shot) speed and accuracy with fast primes.  Eye Detect AF/Face detect is remarkable for portraits.  Awesome for fidgety kids

- Bounce flash performance that is exceptionally accurate unlike the K5 which I use a lot and love on the Olympus.  $250-300 gets you a really nice full featured flash with built in LED for video.  Bad on the K5 (but fixed on the K3 apparently)

- Incredible stabilization - good on the K5 but noticeably better on the EM5, much more apparent on account of mirrorless where everything you see is stabilized.

- Excellent JPEG skin tones and color in general, I think personally at the expense of some detail but still more than good enough for high res screens.  RAW files are noticeably better on the K5 though as good as the EM5 is.  My D800 is no better than my K5 with of course the exception of ~double the resolution.

Ergonomics on the K5 blow the EM5 away though as I'm sure you know, the only other camera I've found that feels as good is the D800.

Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?

Hi - as an ex-Oly user (E-1 and OM-D EM-5) I hope my perspective might help:

SirSeth wrote:

I think I'd miss tilt swivel LCD, dual card slots, Oly dust buster, Oly JPG color engine and my Zuiko lenses.

I'm not so sure about the tilt LCD in a dSLR with a great OVF (it'll be a nice improvement on the E-3) other than for macro shots close to the ground.  It's nice to have, but I don't miss it terribly much.

The dust removal system in the higher end Pentax bodies operates in a very similar way to the Olympus SSWF and is just as effective in my experience (I have not had any dust issues with the K-7/5 series bodies) and Pentax also offers the neat ability to get the camera to shoot a dust map so you know where to use a blower, if you need to use a blower - which I've never yet needed to use.

Oly JPEG colours - yes they are great but I think surpassed by Fuji.  I tend to shoot raw with my K-5iiS, and it's easy enough to use something like a ColorChecker Passport and DNG profiles to set up colours the way you like.  Pentax WB errs towards cool, so you get nice blues....which is also an Olympus trait.

Let's put it out there....the higher end Zuiko zoom lenses were some of the best dSLR lenses available for any system.  Pentax has some good zooms (the DA* range) but I certainly wouldn't argue they outperform the Zuiko's (or even equal some of them).  However the best Sigma's are also well worth a look. I'd put their newest 17-70 on at least a par with, and probably exceeding, the Zuiko 14-54 for all but weather sealing, for example.

I'd gain better high ISO, DR, slightly smaller body, slightly better DOF control with APS-C sensor.

Actually the size of the body feels much smaller the E3/5 although it's still quite weighty.  Compared to the E-3, I think you'll see quite a difference in sensor performance - from a reasonable four thirds sensor to perhaps the best 16MP APSC sensor in the business.  High ISO and DR will be a significant improvement.

I think the other thing you gain with Pentax is access to a superb range of prime lenses (the Limiteds are every bit as enjoyable to own and use as the Zuiko zooms).  Then there's the compatability with a huge back catalogue of legacy lenses too.

What quirks and strengths do you see that I don't have the experience with the K5ii to see?

Personally, I would go for the K-5iiS if you can find one at a good price - the images pop out of my computer in a way that they haven't for me since, well, the E-1 actually (for different reasons).  In real life I've found moire to be a non-issue so far and the detail and crispness in the shots from the iiS is fabulous.

Quirks and strengths - AF is not as speedy as some of the best alternatives - although the K-5ii can focus in insanely dark conditions, and it focuses accurately (some of the speed demons don't have quite the same hit-rate....).  Pentax is probably not the best system to choose if flash photography is really important to you.  However, if you want a bullet-proof weather-proof landscapers' dream, then you could do very much worse than pick one of these up - they're possibly the biggest APSC bargain out there.

Thanks for the feedback.

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +6 more
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,143Gear list
Like?
In reply to waxwaine, 8 months ago

waxwaine wrote:

The lag is produced by 2 settings, "Automatic CA and Distortion Correction" that post-processes the image after shots are taken. If you need fast instant review, dissable both options on menu, or through "info" button, and process the image later on computer.

One reason why the K-5II is so well suited to a RAW workflow. The other being the DNG native format.

-- hide signature --
SirSeth
Like?
Re: lenses with K5IIs

robbo d wrote:

Currently I am sticking with:

17-50f2.8 Sigma - very sharp and good AF speed. Bit heavy as with most new Sigma lenses. Built like tanks but high quality optics. Stays on camera most of the time.

I read this and my brain was like "What! It falls of easily at other times?" That's how tired I am.

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth
Like?
Very helpful Jon
In reply to Jon Schick, 8 months ago

And thank you for the time you put into this for me. The perspective coming from Olympus is great.

I do process almost everything RAW, so I'm not too concerned about JPG. Resoultion, high ISO, and DR are much more weighty (as is price since the K5ii is $679 right now and my Olympus gear doesn't make me much money back). Dust busting, alloy body with great ergonomics, and weather seals are things I'd like to keep--thus my interest in Pentax.

I'm curious about the flash. I usually use manual flash with triggers, but what is the cause of the struggle with Pentax flash systems?

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads