Interested in the FE 70-200 but

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,811Gear list
Like?
Interested in the FE 70-200 but
5 months ago

I just read the minimum focus distance is nearly 5 feet at the 200mm end and it varies by focal length?  Most other 70-200s I've seen have a constant minimum.  e.g., Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is about 45 inches regardless of focal length.  It gave me pause on a 1500$ lens I'll just say that.  Anyone else notice (or care).

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
Re: Interested in the FE 70-200 but
In reply to Petroglyph, 5 months ago

Canon 70-200 2.8 is 5ft at 200mm also

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 5 months ago

But I was comparing it to the f/4 Canon which is 3 ft 9 inches at 200 and constant.  Is the Canon 2.8 a constant minimum?  I think I'll just get an adapter and the f/4 Canon it is about the same price.  I can get over a foot closer and not have to worry about it.

Cheers.

Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,547
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

I just read the minimum focus distance is nearly 5 feet at the 200mm end and it varies by focal length? Most other 70-200s I've seen have a constant minimum. e.g., Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is about 45 inches regardless of focal length. It gave me pause on a 1500$ lens I'll just say that. Anyone else notice (or care).

The minimum focus distance is 1 meter (3.28 feet). The Canon 70-200 f4L IS minimum focus distance is 1.2 meters (3.94 feet).

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?

Depends on the usage.  For a telephoto zoom, I'd expect most folks want fast autofocus and ergonomics over close focus.  I'd guess about 95% of the shots I took with my Nikon 70-200 f2.8 were focused at infinity.

-- hide signature --
 Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
C.Eaton
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

I just read the minimum focus distance is nearly 5 feet at the 200mm end and it varies by focal length? Most other 70-200s I've seen have a constant minimum. e.g., Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is about 45 inches regardless of focal length. It gave me pause on a 1500$ lens I'll just say that. Anyone else notice (or care).

Cheers.

Sorry but I don't see why you're getting hung up over using a telephoto lens at 5 feet?  I mean it's like using a wide-angle lens at 24mm and complaining that it's rubbish at distance shots.

Lens design is always a compromise.

Joel
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

You must have some photographic idea in mind for this to be important - telephoto macro?

Joel.

Joel's gear list:Joel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F505V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony a6000
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

But I was comparing it to the f/4 Canon which is 3 ft 9 inches at 200 and constant. Is the Canon 2.8 a constant minimum? I think I'll just get an adapter and the f/4 Canon it is about the same price. I can get over a foot closer and not have to worry about it.

Cheers.

If minimum focus distance at 200mm is the ONLY thing you're interested in and it's so important to you that you're willing to give up autofocus for it, why are you even looking at lenses like these?

Get a 180mm macro and be done with it. Faster. Cheaper. Focuses a lot closer.

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878Gear list
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

Cheers.

I think this lens is more orientated towards sports and portraiture. Close focusing zooms would suffer bad AF. This one is just not made for macro. Even though I would prefer and most likely get the A mount version it's not a deal breaker.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,101Gear list
Like?

I just read the minimum focus distance is nearly 5 feet at the 200mm end and it varies by focal length?  Most other 70-200s I've seen have a constant minimum.  e.g., Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is about 45 inches regardless of focal length.  It gave me pause on a 1500$ lens I'll just say that.  Anyone else notice (or care).

Cheers.

MFD is usually not constant over a zoom range. And 3.3 ft at 200mm is actually quite close. My good old Sony F828 (28-200mm equiv, f/2-2.8), for example, goes to within couple of inches at 28mm equiv (where I do see higher magnification) to about 1m (about the same as 70-200G) at 200mm equiv. Likewise, Sony RX10 allows very similar magnification at both ends (24mm equiv and 200mm equiv) but of course MFD varies, and that makes sense.

I would be more worried with MFD being the same at 200mm as at 70mm.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to Juhaz, 5 months ago

Juhaz wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

But I was comparing it to the f/4 Canon which is 3 ft 9 inches at 200 and constant. Is the Canon 2.8 a constant minimum? I think I'll just get an adapter and the f/4 Canon it is about the same price. I can get over a foot closer and not have to worry about it.

Cheers.

If minimum focus distance at 200mm is the ONLY thing you're interested in and it's so important to you that you're willing to give up autofocus for it, why are you even looking at lenses like these?

Get a 180mm macro and be done with it. Faster. Cheaper. Focuses a lot closer.

True, they will probably eventually have a FE version of a 180 macro as well.

Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to dotborg, 5 months ago

dotborg wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

The minimum focus distance is 1 meter (3.28 feet). The Canon 70-200 f4L IS minimum focus distance is 1.2 meters (3.94 feet).

Better check your stats as it varies by focal length and by 200mm it is 59 inches or 5 feet for field purposes.

Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to Dandrewk, 5 months ago

Dandrewk wrote:

Depends on the usage. For a telephoto zoom, I'd expect most folks want fast autofocus and ergonomics over close focus. I'd guess about 95% of the shots I took with my Nikon 70-200 f2.8 were focused at infinity.

-- hide signature --

True, but you are probably using your f/2.8 for action type shots and with a fast AF system behind it.  This lens is a 1500$ f/4 built to be light weight so it can be easily carried around - in my opinion.  Zoom is for flexibility, no?  Ability to focus more closely at the tele end is just one more item of flexibility to have.

Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, 5 months ago

cosmonaut wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

Cheers.

I think this lens is more orientated towards sports and portraiture. Close focusing zooms would suffer bad AF. This one is just not made for macro. Even though I would prefer and most likely get the A mount version it's not a deal breaker.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

True,  I agree a good suggestion to look at the A mount version for the type shooting this lens might be intended for.  The A mount is also a stop faster?

Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Cheers.

MFD is usually not constant over a zoom range. And 3.3 ft at 200mm is actually quite close. My good old Sony F828 (28-200mm equiv, f/2-2.8), for example, goes to within couple of inches at 28mm equiv (where I do see higher magnification) to about 1m (about the same as 70-200G) at 200mm equiv. Likewise, Sony RX10 allows very similar magnification at both ends (24mm equiv and 200mm equiv) but of course MFD varies, and that makes sense.

I would be more worried with MFD being the same at 200mm as at 70mm.

You're the first one that actually got the other half of what I was talking about.  So MFD changing with focal length is normal on a lot of lenses.  Supposedly, the MFD is constant on all the Canon, Pentax, and Nikon Zooms I checked in this price range.  The Nikon 70-200 f/4 MFD is listed as 3.2 feet at 200mm and constant.  My thinking is, it might be another compromise that a lens designer can make to cut the weight of the lens.  And I'm still interested in the lens but I'm waiting for early adopters to chime in before I take the plunge.  Thank you for the reply I found out something new.

Cheers.

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146
Like?

Petroglyph wrote:

Cheers.

If you're willing to cut focusing speed by that much anyway, why not try the Canon FD 80-200L. It has built in macro settings and focuses to ~28in @ 200mm on the A7.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,416Gear list
Like?
Minimum focus distance and focal length

Petroglyph wrote:

Cheers.

Just remember that even Canon/Nikon are not their specified focal length at minimum focus distance. The same is true with the FE. Important spec is maximum magnification, not minimum focus distance.

It seems odd that Sony is so low given modest min focus distance, must have really bad focus breathing (half the magnification of the other f/4 lenses). There could be a spec error in the max magnification for the other lenses too. They almost appear to be calculated for 200mm focal length, but those lenses have focus breathing and aren't really 200mm at MFD.

I am almost sure there is a spec error for the Canon's and Nikon's, I think they are using 200mm focal length and calculating magnification, which is invalid since that focal length is not valid over all focal distance.  I say that because Thom measures the actual focal length of the VRII at 200mm and 1.4 m focal distance to be 135mm.  Calculating the magnification I get about 0.1, not anywhere near the specified .25, and worse than the Sony at .13 (which appears to be an accurate measurement since it is nowhere near the similar MFD VRII spec).

Max Magnification of lenses (by manufacturer):

Sony: 0.13

Canon f/2.8II: 0.16

Canon f/4: 0.26

Nikon f/2.8II: 0.25

Nikon f/4: 0.274

References:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/EFLensChart.pdf

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/All-Lenses/index.page

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/lenses/lineup/detail/sel70200g.html

http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 3 months ago

Petroglyph wrote:

Cheers.

I care and I know exactly what you are saying.

I was just about to pick up the FE 70-200 to pair with my A7r when I came across this thread. I am a former Nikon D800 & 70-200 f4G user, and this combo was fantastic due to the short MFD (about 40") at 200mm, which made this lens very easy for getting great close focus  ("macro-ish") and shallow depth-of-field shots with blurry out-of-focus backgrounds. I would say it almost matched the 70-200 f2.8G since MFD on that lens was much longer plus the "focus breathing" (much less than 200mm long end when focusing close). That plus the Nikon f4G is incredibly corner-to-corner sharp when slightly stopped down.

The MFD spec on the FE 70-200 is 40", same as the Nikon 70-200 f4G, but unlike the Nikon, the MFD increases to around 5 feet at 200mm, which negates the opportunity for close focus and shallow depth-of-field. I guess the measly .13 magnification versus the .27 magnification of the Nikon f4G tells it all.

Based on this, I'm sticking with my $100 Minolta 70-210 f4, which focuses 36" away at 210mm.

Thanks Petroglyph for the heads-up on the limitation with this lens.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 3 months ago

Count me as one who doesn't care one bit. If i did care I would buy an extension tube or take my macro lens.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads