Now DXO NR compared to Topaz (alternate WF)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,171Gear list
Like?
Now DXO NR compared to Topaz (alternate WF)
8 months ago

So, I tried an alternate work flow for the same raw file that I used LR and Topaz on in the other thread and another forum member, Felixography, applied DXO NR also to the same raw file.  I've posted 100% crops from the centre, lower left and upper right of the frame to allow easier comparison of the NR effectiveness.  My opinion is both methods here are getting pretty good but feel free to tell me what you think.

First, here is the new Topaz work-flow 1. apply PK50-135 lens profile, 2. Push the shadows (In this case it amounts to a little over a stop of push to the right) 3. Apply Topaz Medium Raw NR with standard detail recovery 4. Draw down the highlights 3/4 stop and push the rest of the shadow about 1/4 stop 5. sharpen if desired.

The key difference here is that Topaz is applied after the big shadow push.

The noise looks pretty well controlled in the DXO version as well to me.

I'll post the (nearly) full sized image in a reply to this post.

100% centre Topaz NR

Upper right 100%

Lower left 100%

DXO NR centre 100%

Lower left

Upper right

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Petroglyph
Like?
Re: NR compared Full sized (almost) large files
In reply to Petroglyph, 8 months ago

C&C on the handling of the BG noise welcome.

Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andrew britten
Contributing MemberPosts: 984Gear list
Like?

Is the DXO image starting to posterize - especially at the bottom left?

AB

andrew britten's gear list:andrew britten's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 +1 more
Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to andrew britten, 8 months ago

andrew britten wrote:

Is the DXO image starting to posterize - especially at the bottom left?

AB

I think it might be an effect of the web browser display.  When I clicked the "view at 100%" button it seemed to go away.  I don't think felixography pushed the shadows as hard as I did but he was just trying to see how well the DXO NR could handle things.  I thought it looked a lot better than my LR or first Topaz attempt.  My second Topaz WF, shown here, is going to be a new way for me to handle K-3 raws I think.

MJSfoto1956
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?

DxO is unbeatable with high ISO/dark shadow retention without smearing.

Certain other RAW converters are somewhat better at extreme blown-out highlights. But I find that Pentax RAW is underexposed anyway (especially compared to Nikon RAW). As such, I have almost never seen blown highlights in any of my Pentax bracketed photos (+1, 0, -1). Note that my settings are zeroed out with both my Nikon D800 and Pentax K-3 -- I would have expected that the +1 images would "tend" towards overexposure across a wide range of image types, but I have not experienced that. I would say that comparing exposure to exposure, Pentax images seem to be deliberately underexposed (perhaps to improve their reported JPEG ISO ratings?)

Notwithstanding, DxO Optics Pro takes such "underexposed" Pentax images and does a great job with them. You *DO* need to learn how to use the DxO adjustments and not blindly assume that "default" settings will provide an "apples to apples" comparison with ACR or any other raw converter.

As such, I don't draw much confidence in the images you have provided as a test. Sorry.

Michael

MJSfoto1956's gear list:MJSfoto1956's gear list
Pentax K-3
MJSfoto1956
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
In reply to MJSfoto1956, 8 months ago

One last thing: I also use Topaz to occasionally "finish off" my DxO images (if needed). So I am intimately aware of the strengths and weaknesses of Topaz DeNoise.

Michael

MJSfoto1956's gear list:MJSfoto1956's gear list
Pentax K-3
Petroglyph
Like?

MJSfoto1956 wrote:

One last thing: I also use Topaz to occasionally "finish off" my DxO images (if needed). So I am intimately aware of the strengths and weaknesses of Topaz DeNoise.

What would you say those are?

Michael

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?

As a user of DXO Pro9, Adobe CC & LR 5.4 and Aperture I totaly confirm the relevant remarks of Michael.

RAW developers are complementary but my starting pointis more and more DXO Pro9, except for X3F of course

Incidentally I don't use Topaz but the  Nik collection for perfectly subjective ergonomic reasons.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
smafdy
Regular MemberPosts: 494Gear list
Like?

Assuming the images would register, I'd develop one copy with each, paste one over the other, and adjust opacity and blending modes in PS. Get the best of both worlds.

Petroglyph
Like?
In reply to smafdy, 8 months ago

smafdy wrote:

Assuming the images would register, I'd develop one copy with each, paste one over the other, and adjust opacity and blending modes in PS. Get the best of both worlds.

Interesting idea.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads