Decisions decisions (16-70 or the A6000)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Tone Row
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
Decisions decisions (16-70 or the A6000)
7 months ago

I walked into the camera store a few hours ago to pick up a 16-70 for my NEX-5t and there on the shelf was an A6000. I told myself I wouldn't do this but after playing around with the A6000 I had to walk away before making a rash decision. Now I'm stuck. Do I get the lens or the camera. I already have the 20/2.8 and the 35/1.8 so I could theoretically just get the Sigma 60/2.8 with the A6000 and call it a day, but some of the images I see online that are coming from the 16-70 just blow me away. Decisions decisions.

Tone Row's gear list:Tone Row's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,850Gear list
Like?
Re: Decisions decisions (16-70 or the A6000)
In reply to Tone Row, 7 months ago

As much as I myself am getting an A6000, it needs to be remembered that lenses last (and generally retain their value over time fairly well), and bodies grow obsolete fairly fast.

If you buy the SEL1670Z now, by the time you have more money to splurge on a new body... the A6000 might be cheaper... or there might be a successor. The converse cannot be said.

That said, it is also understandable if you just want to play with the awesomeness that is the A6000 right now. Life is short.

(As much as I am interested in the SEL1670Z as well...   I gave away my 5N, so I have exactly zero bodies to use with my E-mount lenses until I get the A6000.  So my choice has been conveniently eliminated. :P)

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?

Tone Row wrote:

I walked into the camera store a few hours ago to pick up a 16-70 for my NEX-5t and there on the shelf was an A6000. I told myself I wouldn't do this but after playing around with the A6000 I had to walk away before making a rash decision. Now I'm stuck. Do I get the lens or the camera. I already have the 20/2.8 and the 35/1.8 so I could theoretically just get the Sigma 60/2.8 with the A6000 and call it a day, but some of the images I see online that are coming from the 16-70 just blow me away. Decisions decisions.

Would you like an EVF?

Do you need the extra resolution and faster AF system with tracking?

Those are 2 questions you need to ask yourself and if the answer is yes, then go for the a6000. You can sell your 5t later to help reduce the cost of the 16-70 Zeiss.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
BigPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?

Get the 16-70 AND the a6000... 

Tone Row
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, 7 months ago

kcamacho11 wrote:

Tone Row wrote:

Would you like an EVF?

Those are 2 questions you need to ask yourself and if the answer is yes, then go for the a6000. You can sell your 5t later to help reduce the cost of the 16-70 Zeiss.

I have an EVF, I use the external one with my 5R. What I would miss is the articulation

(Don't know why I said 5T above, I own the 5R.

Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
jtr27
Regular MemberPosts: 239
Like?

Are those the only two choices?  

If you're looking at the 16-70 I'll assume you have $1000 to work with.

You can get the Sigma 60mm for $239.

You can get the Rokinon 12mm for $399.

So, two terrific primes for $638, substantially less than the price of a new 16-70.

Squirrel away the unspent ~$362 toward your next e-mount body for when your current body dies.  And who knows, by then, you might get a new or lightly used A6000, at a substantial discount. Or a nice NEX-6 or 7 for even less.

Just offering a contrarian opinion, and of course, it is only an opinion.  

Happy shooting!

Ckrappraisal
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to jtr27, 7 months ago

I just fought the same battle, except I currently own a 5t. I ordered the sel1670z. The A6000 will have to wait.

dquangt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?

kcamacho11 wrote:

Tone Row wrote:

Would you like an EVF?

I have an EVF, I use the external one with my 5R. What I would miss is the articulation

(Don't know why I said 5T above, I own the 5R.

That's what I would miss also. I wish the a6000 had an evf like the gx7.

Tone Row
Like?
In reply to jtr27, 7 months ago

jtr27 wrote:

So, two terrific primes for $638, substantially less than the price of a new 16-70.

Squirrel away the unspent ~$362 toward your next e-mount body for when your current body dies. And who knows, by then, you might get a new or lightly used A6000, at a substantial discount. Or a nice NEX-6 or 7 for even less.

Happy shooting!

I've definitely thought of that, but one of the things I am trying to capture with my NEX is the look I get with my larger A55 and older Minolta zooms. There's a look I get with them that I can't explain but I know it when I see it, and I just can't seem to capture that same look with primes on the NEX, so I thought I would give the Zeiss a shot since I see glimpses of that "look" when perusing photos taken with it.

Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,506Gear list
Like?

Tone Row wrote:

Unless you shoot a lot of movement/sports, the Zeiss lens might be the way to go. I love mine and the colors, contrast, sharpness and the bokeh of this lens is simply amazing. I use mine for portraiture, travel and regular walkabouts.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
FramerDave
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
In reply to DtEW, 7 months ago

+1 lenses first especially Zeiss.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,840
Like?

Tone Row wrote:

jtr27 wrote:

Squirrel away the unspent ~$362 toward your next e-mount body for when your current body dies. And who knows, by then, you might get a new or lightly used A6000, at a substantial discount. Or a nice NEX-6 or 7 for even less.

Happy shooting!

I've definitely thought of that, but one of the things I am trying to capture with my NEX is the look I get with my larger A55 and older Minolta zooms. There's a look I get with them that I can't explain but I know it when I see it, and I just can't seem to capture that same look with primes on the NEX, so I thought I would give the Zeiss a shot since I see glimpses of that "look" when perusing photos taken with it.

When that is what you want then the best thing is to buy an adapter and use the old lenses, or, when you ave sold them, buy them cheap second hand.... Ypo won't get the same look with the A6000 and your existng E-mount lenses, and maybe not with your 5r and the Zeiss lens. Yes the reults will be great but maybe not the same. An adapter is not that expensive, so you could add the A6000 soon....

Good luck.

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,937Gear list
Like?
re: +10, for... a genuine Zeiss !!
In reply to FramerDave, 7 months ago

as of late the Zeiss badge has also started to appear on not so very deserving products !!

jpr2

Tone Row
Like?

Came to my senses and got the 16-70.

Sony SLT-A55 NEX5R
Jesper Frickmann
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?

Tone Row wrote:

Good choice!

Jesper Frickmann's gear list:Jesper Frickmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,850Gear list
Like?

Tone Row wrote:

Now you just have to find good light, put the camera on a tripod, and shoot a beautiful brick wall!

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads