NEX 7 vs A6000

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
mike geier
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
NEX 7 vs A6000
8 months ago

As close as I can tell, Alpha 6000 is not as good as NEX 7 except in very low light. JPEG results not as sharp, Viewfinder is not even close and build doesn't compare. back the a6000 goes, I'll wait for the NEX 7 replacement

mike geier's gear list:mike geier's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX mini +11 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bachagabriel
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 7 vs A6000
In reply to mike geier, 8 months ago

The A6000 is the replacement for both the NEX6 and NEX7

bachagabriel's gear list:bachagabriel's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mike geier
Like?
In reply to bachagabriel, 8 months ago

I don't think so, and if it is they missed the mark, unless you really really need wireless connectivity

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX mini +11 more
bparanoid
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?

mike geier wrote:

I don't think so, and if it is they missed the mark, unless you really really need wireless connectivity

or you really really need something that can focus quicker than molasses

bparanoid's gear list:bparanoid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

mike geier wrote:

As close as I can tell, Alpha 6000 is not as good as NEX 7 except in very low light. JPEG results not as sharp, Viewfinder is not even close and build doesn't compare. back the a6000 goes, I'll wait for the NEX 7 replacement

Hi, Mike,

Did you tested it, and returned it ?

If so, do you have a side by side comparison ?... please...!

Or., like me, you judged the samples posted here and in other places ?

I have the same dilemma: buy the A6000, or jump directly to A7000.

I already have 5N, 6, 7, and I don't sell them...

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?

Mike, why all the rage? I happen to agree with you and still prefer the NEX7 over the A6000. But that's for 1) metal build and better feel in hand 2) global IQ and sharpness 3) TriNavi interface. Other than that, the A6000 certainly offers some very nice things, namely super fast AF, extra controls, nice customisation options, better menus.
One thing with the A6000 is that you absolutely need to expose violently to the right or else it'll underexpose like crazy. Properly exposed it's one fine camera. And yes I still like the NEX7 better
--
"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.

http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
In reply to 5nex7, 8 months ago

DXO Mark shows the A6000 matching or beating the NEX-7 in everything except dynamic range at base ISO. I think Sony changed their JPG rendering between generations, so JPG images aren't an accurate comparison. RAW is where you'll see the true ability of the sensor.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Ken Sky
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?

I was told by a Sony official last week the number "7" will be reserved for FF in future. Obviously, the A6000 is not the end of the trail. Just don't expect a flagship APS-C E-mount camera to have a "7" in its name.

Ken Sky's gear list:Ken Sky's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, 8 months ago

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

DXO Mark shows the A6000 matching or beating the NEX-7 in everything except dynamic range at base ISO. I think Sony changed their JPG rendering between generations, so JPG images aren't an accurate comparison. RAW is where you'll see the true ability of the sensor.

I have not yet seen one shot with the A6000 that could come close to what my NEX-7 shoots regularly... so, for now...

5nex7's gear list:5nex7's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +54 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ken Sky, 8 months ago

I was told by a Sony official last week the number "7" will be reserved for FF in future. Obviously, the A6000 is not the end of the trail. Just don't expect a flagship APS-C E-mount camera to have a "7" in its name.

I would question that official. Sony has clearly chosen single digit name for FF, four for APSc, on E-mount anyway.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,507Gear list
Like?

mike geier wrote:

Mike, can you place side by side pictures, preferable developed from RAW using same slider settings?

Sony did work on the JPG engine, and you may have set up your Nex-7 in a way that you like, but may need to adjust your A6000 to achieve similar results. I find that even (neutral) JPG are better processed in post-edit tools, than in-camera optimization, but ymmv.

The viewfinder is lower-resolution, and lower magnification, but should be easier to view edge-to-edge, and should not go as grainy as quickly as the Nex-7's viewfinder under low-light. From a shooting experience, the A6000 seems to be preferred by many, unless you only shoot under bright daylight - then the Nex-7 is better. Even MF shooters seem ok with the A6000 resolution.

Based on (sensor) reviews so far, the A6000 should match the Nex-7 in per-pixel details and response curves. There is speculation about this in similar to the Nex-6 versus Nex-5N debate (PDAF cells that require compensation and therefore would degrade the image IQ), but this factor was deemed very low. Yet, we see the uncompromised sensor in the A7r with no PDAF cells

For me, the A6000 really replaces the Nex-6, and it seems to be on par, with extra Mp that would help. The Nex-7, as wonderful as it is, is a compromised camera: it handles WA RF lenses poorly, hits lens-resolution earlier (as A6000 does too), lacks WiFi and PDAF. I can't compare until next week, it seems, (in US), but I wonder about RAW noise. The Nex-7 is noisier than the Nex-6 and at higher ISO in low light, the Nex-6 is preferred. I hope that the A6000 at least delivers Nex-6 like responses, even if it requires down-sampling of the image.

As to a Nex-7 replacement, this is a big question. Per product line-up, there is currently a significant gap between a $1,700 A7 and a $650 A6000. But whether this will be filled with an A6 (A7 with APS-C sensor), or a A7000 (as Nex-7 replacement) is anyone's guess. I am convinced that even Sony does not know, and the A6000 already being nicknamed A6k is not making things any easier for them

I see this "A6" as simply using the A6000 APS-C sensor in the A7 housing, but there may be some resistance to this from a marketing perspective.

I see this "A7000" as a A6000 with a higher resolution sensor, expect 32Mp inside, and possible again with low-light compromises. It will enhance the Nex-7 in terms of IQ, but it may limit your lens options at the same time.

Back to you - why not consider the A7 as a Nex-7 replacement? Both are 24Mp, and are fairly similar under bright light. Under low light, the A7 easily runs ahead. The A7 has tri-navi, more controls and the newer (SLT/RX) UI menus.

If not, I'd suggest to pick up a discounted Nex-7 (used or new) as backup camera, just to have one ready for a longer period.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Siobhan A
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Are NEX 7 dials and controls better too? (nt)
No text.
cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?

mike geier wrote:

Sorry, but what kind of testing did you really do to come to this conclusion?

In my view this is b....

Checking comparometer, I found the A6k to be somewhat inferior to the A7. Regarding the N7 it mostly is easily visibly better when you take a closer look. Those images are at base ISO 100!! What some may mistake for better resolution with the Nex 7 is actually massive oversharpening, similar to the behaviour of my 5N, which is especially visible with high quality lenses due to the white halo around the edges!

With lower quality lenses, it may really look better, but the same can be had with the A6k either after using RAW or possible amping up sharpness in-camera.

Click full size to see that the A6k is clearly more contrasty and does not suffer from the "old-Nex" oversharpening halo around edges.

The edge of the chair is easily visibly more natural resolved with the A6k, textures are better except for the bright red.

All color fields have the oversharpening halo some may mistake for better detail when viewed not at 100% with the Nex 7. One weakness of the A6k is the bright red as above.

-- hide signature --
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?

5nex7 wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I have not yet seen one shot with the A6000 that could come close to what my NEX-7 shoots regularly... so, for now...

A bunch or RAW samples for download here:

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_review&divpage=1&page=1&no=392

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?

mike geier wrote:

I think the complete oppositve.
Great high ISO performance for a 24 mp sensor, easily better than NEX-7

EVF is way better/smoother, can barely tell difference in resolution

Grip is larger and nicer to hold

Love the Alpha menu instead of NEX

Love all the custom buttons

AF is BLAZING fast, Finally!

BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, 8 months ago
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,884
Like?

To each is own. I welcome better performance in low light.
--
Dez

mike geier
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, 8 months ago

No rage, just disappointment. just dropped the package at UPS to be returned

Dsnoir
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?

I cannot understand why nobody has commented on the effects a lens has on a camera bodies ability to produce an excellent image - surely the most important element in the equation, other than the photographers ability.

The other thing that I cannot understand is why as a photographer, you would invest in a quality body, expensive lens and then the time and effort in taking an image, only to hand it over to a software engineer to produce the final product, a JPEG,if you really care about quality you should shoot in RAW and then use your own ability to produce the image.

I am inclined to think that a good point and shoot would suffice, if all you are going to do is produce holiday snaps, or endless test

Interesting that the OP does not enclose any of these rubbish A6000 images nor any great NEX 7 shots

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
mike geier
Like?
In reply to Ken Sky, 8 months ago

a rose by any other name......

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads