FE 35mm F2.8 vs Voigtländer 35/2.5 with A7R for street photography

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
nathan
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
FE 35mm F2.8 vs Voigtländer 35/2.5 with A7R for street photography
6 months ago

Hello,

I am looking for compact and speedy lenses for street photography with my new A7R . What would you perfer - the native FE 35mm F2.8 with autofocus or tiny Voigtländer 35/2.5?

John Gellings
Contributing MemberPosts: 530
Like?
Re: FE 35mm F2.8 vs Voigtländer 35/2.5 with A7R for street photography
In reply to nathan, 6 months ago

nathan wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for compact and speedy lenses for street photography with my new A7R . What would you perfer - the native FE 35mm F2.8 with autofocus or tiny Voigtländer 35/2.5?

I prefer the native Sonnar... it's the better lens for the A7r.  The only reason to choose the 35mm Color Skopar is if you are opposed to AF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

Hello,

If you are considering the 35mm 2.5 you should also consider the voigtlander 35mm 1.4 or the voigtlander 40mm 1.4.

Personally I find the look of these voigtlander lenses is very much suited to street photography work. The FE is a bit too clinical for my taste for street.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
nathan
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 6 months ago

That really my dilemma! I am a big fun of Voigtländer and already have 50/1/5, 35/1.2, 15/4.5

Truly, it is not only question of proper lenses, but much more.. My A7r is the result of my develompent from DSLR to mirrorless via Epson RD-1. Firstly I think I will have two cameras A7r+Rd-1. But now I am so exiting from A7R, that I intend to have only A7r.

If it was the lenses for Rd-1 - obviously I will choose Voigtländer 35/2.5. But now, thinking about A7r...

I would imagine two option - 1) more silent and diskrety, but RF+manual focus, direct shooting with RD-1+Voigtländer 35/2.5 or 2). low position with tilt screen + Af with FE 35mm F2.8.

What to choose?

DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?

I've heard around here that the Canon FD 35mm f2.8 is a wonderful lens closely matching the performance of the FE 35mm.

I got one and at least on APS-C (Nex-6) it's exceptional from wide open.

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&7: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

jodvovauk
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?

nathan wrote:

Hello,

I use Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 SC. It's small and nice. Corners are ugly, but that doesn't bother me much as I crop easily with 36mpix.

-- hide signature --
 jodvovauk's gear list:jodvovauk's gear list
Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
nathan
Like?
In reply to DimitriDV, 6 months ago

What kind of converter for FD do you use?

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,400Gear list
Like?

nathan wrote:

That really my dilemma! I am a big fun of Voigtländer and already have 50/1/5, 35/1.2, 15/4.5

I am thinking of buying the Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II and I was thinking it could be great for street photography. Why are you opposed to using it and seeking a competing 35 instead?

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 6 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

nathan wrote:

I am thinking of buying the Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II and I was thinking it could be great for street photography. Why are you opposed to using it and seeking a competing 35 instead?

-- hide signature --

I have the 35/1.2 II and it is an awesome lens, but you can't go wrong with any of the others.

nathan
Like?

looking for smaller lenses. and a great bokeh of 35/1.2 - i really not so need for such kind of shooting.

Asaifa
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

For street I would make sure I got a lens with good AF, because then I could hold the camera at navel height and look at the LCD to compose. I don't know if others can, but I can't focus manually when looking down at the LCD.

Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?

nathan wrote:

looking for smaller lenses. and a great bokeh of 35/1.2 - i really not so need for such kind of shooting.

What about the Biogon 35mm f/2 (Zeiss) ? It is shorter and a lot lighter than the Voiglander... That would be my second choice.

seany
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?

nathan wrote:

Truly, it is not only question of proper lenses, but much more.. My A7r is the result of my develompent from DSLR to mirrorless via Epson RD-1. Firstly I think I will have two cameras A7r+Rd-1. But now I am so exiting from A7R, that I intend to have only A7r.

If it was the lenses for Rd-1 - obviously I will choose Voigtländer 35/2.5. But now, thinking about A7r...

I would imagine two option - 1) more silent and diskrety, but RF+manual focus, direct shooting with RD-1+Voigtländer 35/2.5 or 2). low position with tilt screen + Af with FE 35mm F2.8.

What to choose?

-- hide signature --

Would like to know how you find the 15mm 4.5,do you get a lot of purple fringing and vingnetting.
seany

nathan
Like?
In reply to Asaifa, 6 months ago

It`s a good point. For thus I am thinking about FE 35mm. Because I like a "waist level" to compose and to be less direct to object.

nathan
Like?
In reply to seany, 6 months ago
nathan
Like?
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 6 months ago
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 6 months ago

Gabor Esperon wrote:

nathan wrote:

What about the Biogon 35mm f/2 (Zeiss) ? It is shorter and a lot lighter than the Voiglander... That would be my second choice.

If you shoot wide-open at f/2, the Voigtlander 35/1.4 handles edges better on the A7 than the Zeiss ZM 35/2.0. On the A7r both further degrade the edges, when used wide open.

Both lenses also suffer from sensor light-reflections on the A7. The A7r seems to have it to, but to a  milder degree. You can under-expose to mitigate this some, but this brings up noise levels.

With the FE35/2.8, you loose a stop of light, but you have much less sensor reflections.

The Voigtlander 35/1.2 is just too big (Why not consider Mitakon's 50/0.95 lens?). The Voigtlander 35/2.8 seems worse than the 35/1.4 at the edges (considering only f/2.8 and up).

If on the A7, I would consider CV35/1.4 versus FE35/2.8. then it is about two stops of light.

If on the A7r, I would consider ZM35/2.0 versus FE35/2.8, then it is about (center) sharpness and SW corrections. The ZM's center sharpness (and micro-contrast) is legendary.

The sensor light-reflections are very visible on the CV35/1.4 at times. I have not taken the ZM35/2.0 out at night yet, but I expect the same. The FE35 does not suffer from the same reflections.

Also, the CV35/1.4 has nicer OOF rendering (bokeh) than the ZM35. The FE35 just feels like a 'stopped down' lens. Of course, longer FL's are better for this anyways.

f/2.8 is not all that bad if you bump the ISO, at the street at night, keep this in mind.

Rendering wise, I like the CV35/1.4 for (close) people subjects, and the ZM35/2.0 & FE35/2.0 other subjects.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,400Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

The Voigtlander 35/1.2 is just too big (Why not consider Mitakon's 50/0.95 lens?). The Voigtlander 35/2.8 seems worse than the 35/1.4 at the edges (considering only f/2.8 and up).

The 50/.95 is nearly the same perspective at the Zeiss 55 (and I have that). There is a huge difference between 35 and 50 just as there is between 35 and 20.

I have the Voigtlander 21/1.8 and it's 421 grams. The 35/1.2 II is 471. That's pretty much my hang up with getting the 35/1.2 II right now . . . size. I owned the Voigtlander 35/1.4 and sold it to Zackiedawg when I bought the Canon 6D. I wish I hadn't sold it.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?

nathan wrote:

What kind of converter for FD do you use?

Any cheap Chinese adapter will do. This lens is very robust. I guess it has no floating elements, and therefore it is absolutely indifferent to the adapter flange distance tolerance: too far or to close -- you compensate it with a helicoid. As long as it reaches infinity (pretty much all adapters do, some focus further beyond infinity than others) -- you are fine. Around $50 lens (and an outstandingly sharp lens at that, even in the corners) for ~$50 plus ~$15 for an adapter.

As an autofocus option. Sigma 30 mm f/2.8 is very good. After removing the rear baffle, ~90% of the image is usable after software vignetting correction. That makes it approximately equivalent to 35 f/3.2 lens.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Like?
Re: On tests shots versus actual shots ...

sean lancaster wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

The 50/.95 is nearly the same perspective at the Zeiss 55 (and I have that). There is a huge difference between 35 and 50 just as there is between 35 and 20.

I have the Voigtlander 21/1.8 and it's 421 grams. The 35/1.2 II is 471. That's pretty much my hang up with getting the 35/1.2 II right now . . . size. I owned the Voigtlander 35/1.4 and sold it to Zackiedawg when I bought the Canon 6D. I wish I hadn't sold it.

I have done low level test shots which made me appreciate the CV35/1.4 a whole lot more on the A7 than I had expected - it outperformed the ZM35 at the edges, at the same (wide open) apertures. The ZM has better micro-contrast, and both their center sharpness is fairly close.

In low-light, I find that the edges don't really matter. First of, there is DOF limits, and the edges are often outside the DOF, plus, in the dark, the edges may very well not have much detail in them. And then you can always crop or vignette the image in post.

The FE35 lens is different - it is already corrected for vignetting (light fall-off), and the lens profile corrects for errors. The lens renders beautifully, yet feels clinically. More so than the ZM, which always represented that clinical feel for me.

I don't mind bringing both the FE35 and the CV35/1.4 along - they are for different uses.

But yes, the CV35/1.4 is getting a renewed lease on life. The ZM35 now stays in the closet

As to the CV21/1.8, the CV35/1.2, heck all the way up to CV75/1.8 (I use CV75/2.5), I find the extra f-stop that you get not worth the extra money and bulk that comes with it. On the A7r however, these lenses are far more usable than their smaller counterparts (less magenta shift, more edge sharpness).

I have also resisted getting 'super-fast' glass. I have f/1.4 in 35mm and 50mm, f/2.8 in 100mm and 135mm, etc., and, now on FF or with speed booster, it suffices for me.

Do pick up another CV35/1.4 - they are still in production

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads