Tamron Adaptall-2 on K5ii?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,972Gear list
Like?
Tamron Adaptall-2 on K5ii?
6 months ago

Greetings,

I'm thinking about trying Pentax because the K5ii is a bargain and Olympus DSLRs are a dead end. I have three Tamron SP Adaptall-2 lenses that I really like and I'm thinking about keeping them if I switch.

Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro.

Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 + 1.4x TC + 2.0x TC

Tamron SP 35-80mm f2.8-3.8

How do they work with the Pentax mount? Any compatibility issues or foibles on a K5ii?

I had planned to get the Nikkor AIS 400mm f3.5 someday. Are there solid adapters for Nikon to Pentax? If not, what large manual glass would fit with Pentax mount? I'm not rich enough to buy big AF glass.

And if anyone wants to leave general comments about switching brands to Pentax, that would be cool. The things I know I'm going to miss is the tilt swivel screen, dust buster, Olympus JPG color, 11-22mm, and 50-200mm f2.8-3.5.  I hope to gain dynamic range, resolution, slight DOF control, slightly more compact body, and the addition of more Macro options and limited primes. Also looking at the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 eventually.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Broken Hill
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron Adaptall-2 on K5ii?
In reply to SirSeth, 6 months ago

Dear SirSeth,

If you get hold of the Tamron Adaptall II PKA mount rather than the PK version you can then access all the modes and features except AF. The electronic interface on the PKA mount is still read by the current cameras. Using the PK mount is still possible but with more limitations in exposure modes, metering options and ease of use.

Thanks

Broken Hill

Broken Hill's gear list:Broken Hill's gear list
Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to Broken Hill, 6 months ago

Thanks Broken Hill,

Do you know the limitations of the PK adapter? I've heard that the PKA adapter is kind of finicky and many people give up with that one.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,633
Like?

You don't want the PK (actually called the KM adapter) because you would be treating your AD-2 lenses like they are M42 screw mount lenses or K and M K-mount lenses, mainly no electronic coupling. You lose electronic aperture control (same as Pentax A lenses) and all that entails. Only issue is that PK/A adapters go for over $100 on the used camera market. Back before I sold off my 400/4, 300/2.8, 180/2.5, 200-500/5.6 and smaller AD-2 lenses I had 4 PK/A adapters. Some were great and some had some wear (mainly in the locking pin hole). All worked although the worn ones required you to keep pressure on the lens coupling to keep the electronic pins aligned with the camera but that was all.

Of your lenses only the 35-80 is mediocre. Look for a 35-210/3.5-4.2 as it is better everywhere than that one.

Kent Gittings

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,905
Like?
In reply to KentG, 6 months ago

KentG wrote:

You don't want the PK (actually called the KM adapter) because you would be treating your AD-2 lenses like they are M42 screw mount lenses or K and M K-mount lenses, mainly no electronic coupling. You lose electronic aperture control (same as Pentax A lenses) and all that entails. Only issue is that PK/A adapters go for over $100 on the used camera market. Back before I sold off my 400/4, 300/2.8, 180/2.5, 200-500/5.6 and smaller AD-2 lenses I had 4 PK/A adapters. Some were great and some had some wear (mainly in the locking pin hole). All worked although the worn ones required you to keep pressure on the lens coupling to keep the electronic pins aligned with the camera but that was all.

Hi Kent,

The Adaptall 2 P/KA adapters have come down quite a bit in the last year or two. You can find them now in the $60 to $75 range.

Contact forum member MightyMike from Canada. He has some for sale.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Holger Bargen
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?

I have the 180 mm f=2.5 Tamron lens and it works fine with the PKa adapter. The camera thinks it is 2.8 instead of 2.5. The difference is not very big I could correct it easily by correcting the exposure time a little - but the output without this correction si fine, too.

I've heard that there are problems with some of these adpters - some work fine - others do not. I could imagine that this has something to do with recognition of the maximum aperture - there are little points on the mount which can be isolated or not - I think the pattern of isolations give the code about the correct maximum aperture to the camera. If it's wrong it won't work. But this is my explanation of the problems and I do not know if it is true.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
SirSeth
Like?

KentG wrote:

You don't want the PK (actually called the KM adapter) because you would be treating your AD-2 lenses like they are M42 screw mount lenses or K and M K-mount lenses, mainly no electronic coupling. You lose electronic aperture control (same as Pentax A lenses) and all that entails. Only issue is that PK/A adapters go for over $100 on the used camera market. Back before I sold off my 400/4, 300/2.8, 180/2.5, 200-500/5.6 and smaller AD-2 lenses I had 4 PK/A adapters. Some were great and some had some wear (mainly in the locking pin hole). All worked although the worn ones required you to keep pressure on the lens coupling to keep the electronic pins aligned with the camera but that was all.

Of your lenses only the 35-80 is mediocre. Look for a 35-210/3.5-4.2 as it is better everywhere than that one.

Kent Gittings

Thanks Kent,

This is very helpful specific info about the mount types. I'm curious, what other great MF lenses did you or do you currently use? I'm not well versed in options for Pentax mount.

The 35-80mm f2.8-3.8 I have is actually really good. Sharp, good color, and focuses surprisingly close for a non-macro. I think there may be a 35-80mm with different aperture range which is not as good. I've used two copies of the SP 90mm f2.5 and one was stunning while the other was just ok, so maybe there is sample variation too. I must have a good one.

I'll look into the 35-210mm.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,352Gear list
Like?

The PKA adapters are great and give access to all the program/semi auto modes.

The 90/2.5 is lovely but can sometimes show hotspots on digital sensors (not just Pentax, I found it bad on m43) when stopped down beyond f8 or so...it's to do with the very flat design of the rear lens.

The 180/2.5 may be the best lens I've used full stop.  Good luck finding an affordable one in good condition through!

The 200/3.5 is decent and cheap.

I still use a 500/8 SP mirror lens with PKM adapter, and with care can get good results.

Not tried the older Tamron zooms though.

You might want to look at the lens reviews on the pentax forums website - quite interesting and there is also an ongoing thread about use of Adaptall lenses.

Don't get people here started on recommending good Pentax legacy lenses though....we would provide you with a ridiculously long list!

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +7 more
KentG
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 6 months ago

I guess I shipped mine out with my lenses when the price was good. Although it is good to hear they are coming down closer to the proper price.

Kent Gittings

KentG
Like?

Of the 90/2.5s the 52BB is preferred slightly over the earlier 52B. I had one of each at the same time and the optics were the same but I think the coatings may have been different. Plus the way the body functions I prefer the 52BB because it is almost the same as the current AF lens.
If I didn't already have the Vivitar S1 105/2.5 (Lester Dine) in Pentax "A" I would have kept one.

Kent Gittings

SirSeth
Like?

That Lester Dine is a very good macro lens--I've always wanted to try one. I'm also interested in the Pentax-M 100mm f4 which has a good reputation for sharpness and color though a bit slower than the Dine.

I've had two copies of the SP 90mm f2.5. My current one is good. My previous copy which I gave to my sister-in-law was superb. So there must be some sample variation. Tokina made a 90mm f2.5 AT-X that I've heard is even better. It looks to be similar to pictures of the 52BB, so maybe they are the same?

Best,

Seth

KentG wrote:

Of the 90/2.5s the 52BB is preferred slightly over the earlier 52B. I had one of each at the same time and the optics were the same but I think the coatings may have been different. Plus the way the body functions I prefer the 52BB because it is almost the same as the current AF lens.
If I didn't already have the Vivitar S1 105/2.5 (Lester Dine) in Pentax "A" I would have kept one.

Kent Gittings

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

photoholiko
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?

I have a Tamron 28-70 and just picked up an 85-210 (for$9), both adaptall that I use on my K100Ds with a KM adapter, they work fine. I also use Nikon and canon FD lenses on my Pentax.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +19 more
Stewart Corman
Contributing MemberPosts: 558
Like?

Kent Gittings

Seth stated SP 35->80 2.8->3.8 which is the 1A model, which I use as my standard lens on K-5 with the KA adapter. Kent, don't know where you got "mediocre" from but this one is a classic:

Tamron 1A specs

tell me which lenses you have that deliver 73 lp/mm center and edge at 80mm??

BTW, this is a lot sharper than the 90mm/2.5 macro 52B:

90mm macro 52B

Stew Corman

SirSeth
Like?
In reply to photoholiko, 6 months ago

Great news!  How do you use Nikon lenses on your Pentax? Are there adapter options?  I'm interested because I've always wanted the 400mm f3.5

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

photoholiko
Like?

I don't have a brand name for my Nikon lens to Pentax adapter but it's quite good quality, all metal and has a lens in it, I assume that's for infinity focusing. I post some pictures tomorrow if you wish.

Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +19 more
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to photoholiko, 6 months ago

photoholiko wrote:

I don't have a brand name for my Nikon lens to Pentax adapter but it's quite good quality, all metal and has a lens in it, I assume that's for infinity focusing. I post some pictures tomorrow if you wish.

That would be excellent, thanks. Before buying a 400mm f3.5 I'd have to make sure it's an ace.  I'm also learning about Pentax manual focus glass. Interesting.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

KentG
Like?
In reply to Stewart Corman, 6 months ago

Sorry you are right, I was confusing that with an earlier lens. With the exception of a small amount of distortion at the low end the 1A is one of the best zooms in that range ever made. The only reason I have never owned one is they are hard to find.

Kent Gittings

photoholiko
Like?

SirSeth,

Here are the pics

of the NK to PK adapter also FD lens to PK.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads