Sigma 8-16 price?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?
Sigma 8-16 price?
5 months ago

Ok, 2 friends will soon visit me from the USA and Australia. They could bring a couple of goodies with them tax free:) What is the best price for Sigma 8-16 for our mount sourced from these two regions? Availability matters..

I have seen only this lately http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53256739. Any update?

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Spyros

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,862
Like?
Re: Sigma 8-16 price?
In reply to kitsios_spyros, 5 months ago

kitsios_spyros wrote:

Ok, 2 friends will soon visit me from the USA and Australia. They could bring a couple of goodies with them tax free:) What is the best price for Sigma 8-16 for our mount sourced from these two regions? Availability matters..

I have seen only this lately http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53256739. Any update?

That lens is hard to find these days. I only see them on ebay.com and Amazon.com via sellers out of Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-8-16mm-4-5-5-6-Pentax-Digital/dp/B003G2A71G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397650584&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+8-16mm+pentax

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?

Hi Kitsios_spyros,

the 8-16 is still available in the EU. Maybe not in every shop, but I never had the feeling that the prices in the US were significantly lower.

I own this lens and had to send it back once for repair, a HSM defect. Take into account, that you won't have any warranty when you buy this lens somewhere across the ocean.

Quick checked: digitfoto has it for approx 707 € incl delivery to greece (3 years warranty). Distriweb (french seller, via amazon) for 667 + delivery.

Kind regards

Albert

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 5 months ago

brandrx wrote:

kitsios_spyros wrote:

That lens is hard to find these days. I only see them on ebay.com and Amazon.com via sellers out of Japan.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-8-16mm-4-5-5-6-Pentax-Digital/dp/B003G2A71G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397650584&sr=1-1&keywords=sigma+8-16mm+pentax

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

That must be one of those lenses that Sigma president was talking about they produce in only a "limited run" for the Pentax mount, as when I clicked on all four other mounts it showed up as being sold directly by Amazon and available with Amazon Prime.

I don't care HOW BIG OF AN ELECTRONICS COMPANY SONY IS (the biggest, I think), I still find it downright SAD that they came VERY LATE to the camera marketplace and yet have now surpassed one of the oldest, best-known brands (Pentax), the FIRST to sell a million units, and THEY now get preferential treatment from Sigma on lens builds OVER Pentax. And I don't care WHAT the president of Sigma says, I still have to think there's more than just higher sales volume from Sony going on -- especially now that another industry giant (Ricoh) is behind the Pentax brand.

Antitrust laws that apply in America DO NOT apply in places like Japan, where all these companies are based. I have no basis for any theory, just an uncomfortable feeling.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
fotobert
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 5 months ago

Hi Jeff,

I think there is nothing like conspiracy, it is just a matter of the market share Pentax has. And this is a consequence of some marketing faults Pentax made.

I recently asked in this forum, which serial numbers owners of the Tamron 2.8/70-200 have, and it seems, they have only sold 7,000 units of that lens with PKA mount. Worldwide! I have no idea, how much units Sigma sells with Pentax mount, but I know it is at least 3 As I have a LBA from time to time, the number might increase in the next months.

Have a nice day

Albert

Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,214Gear list
Like?
In reply to fotobert, 5 months ago

I don't know if this company has them in stock in Australia for $802 AUD

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod6796.htm

Also your friend could call CR Kennedy the distributor directly to find out.

I got mine from them for about $750 AUD but the dollar has dropped a little lately.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Kesha
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,955Gear list
Like?

Hi Kitsios_spyros,

the 8-16 is still available in the EU. Maybe not in every shop, but I never had the feeling that the prices in the US were significantly lower.

I own this lens and had to send it back once for repair, a HSM defect. Take into account, that you won't have any warranty when you buy this lens somewhere across the ocean.

Quick checked: digitfoto has it for approx 707 € incl delivery to greece (3 years warranty). Distriweb (french seller, via amazon) for 667 + delivery.

Kind regards

Albert

Albert, Sigma 8-16 has no HSM.
--
------------------------------------------
-- Rusma

Kesha's gear list:Kesha's gear list
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,862
Like?
Kesha...
In reply to Kesha, 5 months ago

Kesha wrote:

Hi Kitsios_spyros,

Kind regards

Albert

Hi Kesha,

My Pentax mount Sigma 8-16mm does have HSM (written in big bold letters right on the lens).

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Raghu R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043Gear list
Like?
Re: Kesha...
In reply to brandrx, 5 months ago

Sigma has produced 8-16mm lens for pentax mount only with HSM  AFAI know.

R.Raghu

brandrx wrote:

Kesha wrote:

Hi Kitsios_spyros,

Kind regards

Albert

Hi Kesha,

My Pentax mount Sigma 8-16mm does have HSM (written in big bold letters right on the lens).

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

'The Photographer reveals the light;the light reveals the picture'--C.Rajagopal.
A picture should communicate with our heart.
Efzee-50 & Foojee F 31fd---Polaroid X-530
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/963380256_5f4284b2ce_o.gif

Raghu R's gear list:Raghu R's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Kesha
Like?
Re: kesha..
In reply to Raghu R, 5 months ago

Sigma has produced 8-16mm lens for pentax mount only with HSM  AFAI know.

R.Raghu

brandrx wrote:

Kesha wrote:

Hi Kitsios_spyros,

Kind regards

Albert

Hi Kesha,

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

'The Photographer reveals the light;the light reveals the picture'--C.Rajagopal.
A picture should communicate with our heart.
Efzee-50 & Foojee F 31fd---Polaroid X-530
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1314/963380256_5f4284b2ce_o.gif

My sigma 8-16 has no HSM.
It is screw.

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

fotobert
Like?

Hi Kesha,

my 8-16 does only have HSM, there is no clutch for a screwdrive. I am quite sure, that this is the only type of this lens that has been sold in Europe and also the intl web page does not list a non-HSM version.

Do you think, they made a 2nd version certain markets?

HSM

no clutch for a screw drive

kind Regards

Albert

Kesha
Like?

fotobert wrote:

Hi Kesha,

my 8-16 does only have HSM, there is no clutch for a screwdrive. I am quite sure, that this is the only type of this lens that has been sold in Europe and also the intl web page does not list a non-HSM version.

Do you think, they made a 2nd version certain markets?

HSM

no clutch for a screw drive

kind Regards

Albert

I wonder how I missed this mark after owned for years?
My apologize

But I think I saw the clutch then I think it is not HSM.

Yes it is HSM but I think I saw the clutch for camera body motor?

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

kitsios_spyros
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?

Thank you all for the response! Yes, servicing is an issue but the price difference is enough to make me think of it. Let's see if my friends have enough time to get it for me before they come to Greece!

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Spyros

fotobert
Like?

I have a similar problem. I recently bought a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 ex dc hsm. I always thought that this lens was produced w/o OS for Pentax. A few days ago I found some pics in the net of this lens with OS. Now I am not sure if I bought the wrong lens.

But mine works fine. Very happy with it.

Have a nice day
Albert

McBrian
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?

kitsios_spyros wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Spyros

It's in stock and available in the UK at SRS Microsystems for £499 and they will ship to euroland .....

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/4919/Sigma-8-16mm-F4-5-5-6-DC-HSM-Lens---Pentax-Fit.html

-- hide signature --

Cheers Brian

McBrian's gear list:McBrian's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,541Gear list
Like?
In reply to McBrian, 5 months ago

McBrian wrote:

kitsios_spyros wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Spyros

It's in stock and available in the UK at SRS Microsystems for £499 and they will ship to euroland .....

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/4919/Sigma-8-16mm-F4-5-5-6-DC-HSM-Lens---Pentax-Fit.html

Yup, that's where i got mine from.

Grab one Spiros, it's a great lens! 8mm is amazing. I just came back from a trip to Norway. I had eight lens with me (=fun in the airport), and the one i used most was no doubt the 8-16 for all those landscapes. I don't think i could travel without it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Brian

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads