Stupid things you do with your camera.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Stupid things you do with your camera.
3 months ago

I just went out shooting today and realised I wasted 2 hours worth of shooting with my shots in ISO1600.

So what's your story?

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Re: Stupid things you do with your camera.
In reply to Lumixdude, 3 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

I just went out shooting today and realised I wasted 2 hours worth of shooting with my shots in ISO1600.

So what's your story?

When I first made the transition from film to digital back in 2006,I took my 5 year old grandson out for walk and took some unforgettable pictures. When I say unforgettable I mean I'll never forget the fact that I'd forgotten that my memory card was still in the card reader back home.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,497
Like?

I have screwed up so many times that I can't remember them all. Not switching everything to manual when taking panoramas, for example. Or leaving the lens AF/M switch set to the M position while shooting AI Servo.

One big screwup I remember was on a trip I took shortly after buying a new camera. I normally shoot RAW, and had the camera set up that way, and usually shoot in aperture priority AV mode. For whatever reason, I decided to try out shooting in the full auto mode. Little did I realize that this changed me from shooting RAW to shooting JPEG. And what's worse, is when I switched back to AV mode, it left it set to JPEG. So all my shots of Bryce Canyon are JPEGs.
--
- Bill

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,497
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, 3 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

So what's your story?

When I first made the transition from film to digital back in 2006,I took my 5 year old grandson out for walk and took some unforgettable pictures. When I say unforgettable I mean I'll never forget the fact that I'd forgotten that my memory card was still in the card reader back home.

I've made that mistake, but fortunately, the shots I missed were just some test shots when trying out the camera. I found out pretty quickly since I was chimping and the shots seemed to disappear. I quickly found the menu item that disables shooting when a card is not in the camera.
--
- Bill

Dareshooter
Like?
In reply to billythek, 3 months ago

billythek wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

So what's your story?

I've made that mistake, but fortunately, the shots I missed were just some test shots when trying out the camera. I found out pretty quickly since I was chimping and the shots seemed to disappear. I quickly found the menu item that disables shooting when a card is not in the camera.
--
- Bill

I was using a Canon 300d at the time and I can't recall if it had that option. If I was to say the most stupid thing I've done it's shooting jpeg for the first couple of years,what a  daft mistake that was.

Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
Stupid things I did with my Nikon FE 35mm film camera.
In reply to billythek, 3 months ago

I was attending a funeral reception, after the main event, and had been taking pictures of the various family members when the camera battery died on my FE & consequently locked up with the shutter open. Instead of putting it in manual mode, I opened the back... Even in very dim light, not a wise move, if you want to save any of the photos near that section of film. What a waste, I could have just stayed home, but mourned in private?

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Dareshooter
Like?
Re: Stupid things I did with my Nikon FE 35mm film camera.
In reply to Photofunster, 3 months ago

Photofunster wrote:

I was attending a funeral reception, after the main event, and had been taking pictures of the various family members when the camera battery died on my FE & consequently locked up with the shutter open. Instead of putting it in manual mode, I opened the back... Even in very dim light, not a wise move, if you want to save any of the photos near that section of film. What a waste, I could have just stayed home, but mourned in private?

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm

Your camera battery died at a funeral, I'm guessing there was no pun intended there ?

Mind you that reminds me of an occasion when a person won a box of multigrade paper in a camera club meeting. She then took the paper out of the box to see what it looked like !

newmikey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,821Gear list
Like?
Loooong list!

1. Forgetting to take the camera off manual focusing

2. Leaving on spot metering

3. Leaving tungsten WB during daytime (and not shooting raw at the same time)

4. No battery in camera (or low battery and no spare)

5. No SD card in camera

6. Leaving timer delay on (which disables shake reduction) while using relatively low shutter speed

7. Doing a bracketed exposure and moving the camera after the 3rd exposure when 5 exposures are set

8. Making efforts to look all-professional....with the lenscap still on

9. Choosing only one lens while travelling and ending up with the wrong lens

10. Leaving an ND filter on and wondering why shutter speeds are so low

11. Taking the whole Lowepro flipside 400 filled to capacity on a hike but finding out the camera is still on the kitchen table

12. You name it, I've done it!

-
http://mike.bing-photography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/newmikey/
Opensource: fresher, tastier and cheaper!

newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
A favorite was
In reply to newmikey, 3 months ago

Being reminded by your model, "Don't forget to take the lens cap off!"

Blush much,,, Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of that infrequent blunder...

Chas

-- hide signature --

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,932Gear list
Like?
You can't turn JPEG off in an R1...

so a trick we RAW shooters used was to cut it down to 1MB size
to save expensive Sony card space and kill them later.
Pulled the old girl out the other day and decided RAW was no longer required,
so selected JPEG only.
A day's shooting later, a nice collection of tiny little photos, spewing !

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
tarsus
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?

Shooting an indoor event at 3 fps and exposure is all over the place. Frantically changing EV, ISO and shutter speed made it worse. Had it on bracketing!

Super16mman
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?

Every time I open one of my film cameras to put film in it, and realize I never took the last roll out : P

-- hide signature --
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,207
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

So what's your story?

Back in the film days, there wasn't a single pro on Earth that didn't shoot at least one assignment with no film in the camera. I did a similar boneheaded move when I shot an assignment with no card in the camera (yeah, I now use the control that says "do not fire if no card inserted.")

PK24X36NOW
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

So what's your story?

Back in film days, my first camera was my father's 35mm half-frame film rangefinder camera. Observing its inner workings, I noticed it appeared to be "slipping" when I wound the film advance. Thinking this was a mechanical problem (i.e., that the film wasn't advancing properly), I applied a bit of super glue to the part that didn't seem to be moving when it should. The result? I got only 36 frames (every other shot on the roll) with my half frame camera, and couldn't rewind the film, either. A roll of pink pictures after I had to open the back to get the film out!

Removed the glue after that and the camera worked fine again.

I do mostly outdoor shooting. Once I did a shoot of an indoor flower show that my wife was writing a piece for. Hundreds of pictures. All shot in "Daylight" WB, with a nice green cast which then needed to be color corrected. Ack! (At least I shoot RAW + JPEG!)

Now I leave my cameras on "Auto" WB all the time.

megamatze
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

Recently I played around with remote flashing and left the camera internal flash on "commander" mode.
For half an hour I was wondering why the camera flash is so low

Aaron801
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

So what's your story?

Damn... I'd look at the images really close and you might find that depending on how well your camera does high ASA and what kinds of images they are... as well as your skills in post processing, that you can get some really nice, very usable images out of that.

I just did some shooting with my camera inadvertently set to a square format. I hate that my camera (a gh2) doesn't show the aspect ration as your shooting (or at least I haven't figured out how). I actually like the square format, I just like to crop in post processing when I'm going for that... Fortunately it wasn't with shots that I care too much about.

It really is too easy (at least for me) to inadvertently change things with those small buttons and very deep menus that these digital cameras all seem to have.

Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?

Dareshooter wrote:

I was using a Canon 300d at the time and I can't recall if it had that option. If I was to say the most stupid thing I've done it's shooting jpeg for the first couple of years,what a daft mistake that was.

I'm stupider than you. I still shoot jpeg!

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?

Thanks for giving us permission to let our hair down.  I've developed some memory lapse problems after a stroke a few years back, so have to do many camera resets, as I regularly forget what manual settings I've made.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
MinAZ
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

So what's your story?

Two recent events come to mind.

With my brand my Panny FZ200 at an event, I noticed every shot I took had a greenish cast. Damn this viewfinder sucks, I thought (you can see the previews in the viewfinder in the FZ200 so no need to flip out the LCD). Later I found out I had the WB on tungsten.

The other was after a longish studio session, I spent the whole night doing photo editing (half asleep). When I woke up, I found out I processed everything using the JPG rather than the RAW files. I kept the JPGs however (just too much work to redo).

PhotoSenpai
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to MinAZ, 3 months ago

Thinking "Damn it's taking a couple seconds to get autofocus and the light seems fine - what's wrong here?"   ...then later realising I had camera set to 2 second delay.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads