Is the a7 as good as they say and what kind of lens cost am I looking at?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
Is the a7 as good as they say and what kind of lens cost am I looking at?
3 months ago

I'm a beginner.  I bought a nikon j1 and three lenses four months ago.  I would like to upgrade to the v2 or maybe v3, but at v3 prices, the a7 starts to look really tempting.

is it really that good?  One of the issues people complain about with the nikon 1 series is the small sensor, so full frame sounds great.  Of course it would be a bigger system.

Ive ve seen the a7 body go for 1300 on ebay and 14-1500 with the kit lens.  i would want three. Lenses to start out.  What two make a good second and third?   You have to use the new ones for the a7 full frame right?   I mean,  you can use the new, since they have the e mount, but then you lose the benefits of full frame?

is the kit lens good and. Are the other lenses a lot more than for. The nikon 1 series.  For example I got a. Zoom for 250 and a prime for also 250.  Thanks for you help.--

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northoceanbeach/

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the a7 as good as they say and what kind of lens cost am I looking at?
In reply to Northoceanbeach, 3 months ago

Yes "that good"

Of course you have the FE lenses, and E lense, and you can have very cheap and very good FF legacy lenses with adapter, and MF is a joy to use with this camera.

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?

I'm not sure you need the a7 as a beginner.

Your just beginning. Take it slow. Take the v1 to it's limit and actually learn what you would gain when upgrading to a full frame camera.

In terms of upgrade path you'll probably be more happy with the a6000.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Overmars
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 3 months ago

DonSantos wrote:

Your just beginning. Take it slow. Take the v1 to it's limit and actually learn what you would gain when upgrading to a full frame camera.

+1

Overmars's gear list:Overmars's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,712
Like?

Northoceanbeach wrote:

I'm a beginner. I bought a nikon j1 and three lenses four months ago. I would like to upgrade to the v2 or maybe v3, but at v3 prices, the a7 starts to look really tempting.

is it really that good? One of the issues people complain about with the nikon 1 series is the small sensor, so full frame sounds great. Of course it would be a bigger system.

Ive ve seen the a7 body go for 1300 on ebay and 14-1500 with the kit lens. i would want three. Lenses to start out. What two make a good second and third? You have to use the new ones for the a7 full frame right? I mean, you can use the new, since they have the e mount, but then you lose the benefits of full frame?

is the kit lens good and. Are the other lenses a lot more than for. The nikon 1 series. For example I got a. Zoom for 250 and a prime for also 250. Thanks for you help.--

https://www.flickr.com/photos/northoceanbeach/

Yes, for ME, the A7 is THAT good.     The kit lens is great (for a kit lens)...one of the better ones I have used.

However, a lot of very talented and experienced photographers far better than I ever will be would/do find the A7 very frustrating due to lack of native lenses and other things.

IF you like using manual focus lenses and shoot in low light, you may well love it....otherwise, for now, I would suggest the A6000 might be a better choice in Sony mirrorless for you.

Again for ME it is that good, for you.....only you will know that....From the Nikon 1 system to the A7 might also a bit like going from one of the fastest focusing cameras to one of the slowest (not really but perceived to be) and does still take a while to start up and process a lot of photos.

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,110Gear list
Like?

Yes, the A7 is a very good camera and the results with good glass and skills are top class!

As with all high resolution cameras it takes quite a bit of training to get the most out of the high quality files, and beginners often mix up user errors with poor quality.

On the other hand, with a great camera such as the A7 you probably will grow into high quality imaging if your interest and drive is strong enough.

-- hide signature --

So easy to be negative - so hard to be constructive!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
handofguido
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 3 months ago

DonSantos wrote:

+2

handofguido's gear list:handofguido's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Aasmund G
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
In reply to handofguido, 3 months ago

handofguido wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

+2

At current price points I do not really see the point of bying a 800 USD Aps-c, to my knowledge there are absolutely no advantages in an aps-c compared to full frame. If you are a beginner either go for something at 400 USD +/- 100 including lens or you might as well drop a couple of C's and have a camera that you will be happy with for 5 years instead of 3. The issue is the lens selection, where to me it would make more sense to just get the LA-EA4 and buy a bunch of cheap legacy lenses and see what focal lengths you enjoy. for $200 you can beercan, 50 1.7 and a reasonably fast normal zoom of your liking. When you know what you like go get an FE prime to have a more compact solution.

LoneReaction
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aasmund G, 3 months ago

I would suggest the a6000 over the A7 if you want a good range of affordable native AF lenses.

-- hide signature --
 LoneReaction's gear list:LoneReaction's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Aasmund G
Like?
In reply to LoneReaction, 3 months ago

You can use any APS-C lens on A7, so in that sense they are as native on A7 as on A6000 (albeit with lower resolution)

There are many reasons to go APS-C on E-Mount, and many reasons to choose a Nikon D3300 over a D610 for example, but not sure A6000 over A7:

- Slightly lower price

- Slightly smaller

- Faster AF under certain conditions (probably most, I dont know)

A7 advantages:

- Vastly better legacy lens compatibility

- Much cleaner output with most lenses

There are reasons to do either, but the notion that if you are a beginner you are better off with the A6000 argument is to me strange. As for me, I think the regular, clean, crisp, output that full frame gives with the majority of lenses in most circumstances is a pleasure. I never got that out of either my D40 or D5000 (both providing smudging of details even with top notch lenses at screen level viewing) maybe somehow the A6000 is better, but I would be surprised if most lenses really that level of sharpness.

Asaifa
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

I think you should wait until you know exactly what kind of picture you'll be taking. The A7 is not for everyone. It is brilliant at what it does but for things like wildlife, to name just one example, there are better options. Once you know exactly what you want and where you feel the J1 is letting you down, then it's time to ask for advice. At least, that's what I think ....

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,146Gear list
Like?

Aasmund G wrote:

You can use any APS-C lens on A7, so in that sense they are as native on A7 as on A6000 (albeit with lower resolution)

There are many reasons to go APS-C on E-Mount, and many reasons to choose a Nikon D3300 over a D610 for example, but not sure A6000 over A7:

- Slightly lower price

- Slightly smaller

A7 advantages:

There are reasons to do either, but the notion that if you are a beginner you are better off with the A6000 argument is to me strange. As for me, I think the regular, clean, crisp, output that full frame gives with the majority of lenses in most circumstances is a pleasure. I never got that out of either my D40 or D5000 (both providing smudging of details even with top notch lenses at screen level viewing) maybe somehow the A6000 is better, but I would be surprised if most lenses really that level of sharpness.

I am in the camp that the OP would almost surely be better off with the A6000. I have the A7 and I sold my Canon 6D to get it. The A7's AF is considerably slower than what the A6000 will provide. That alone should make the A6000 a much better choice for many beginners coming from point and shoot cameras where everything is in focus (more or less).

I cannot imaging recommending a full frame camera for a relative newbie to photography. Then again, we have no clue what the OP wants to shoot and that would play into the decision of which camera is better. I guess I'd like to know why the Nikon system is not working because the OP said nothing about any deficiencies with the system; rather, the post just noted that A7 as seeming affordable. I guess people can choose any system for any reason, but more details being provided could potentially allow the community to provide some better feedback. Perhaps Sony doesn't have the best camera for the OP. Who knows at this point?

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Juhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?

Aasmund G wrote:

You might have something if you were talking about A7r, but here the resolution hit is MASSIVE. It makes absolutely no sense to use A7 with APS-C lenses.

- Slightly lower price

It's less than half the price. That's hardly "slight" by any sane definition. And not just in relative terms, a thousand dollars is a lot of money for many people. You get a lot of lenses for that, which goes a lot further than minor difference in potential between bodies that a beginner probably wouldn't even know how to exploit.

All, really.

A7 advantages:

Say what? You can use all the same legacy lenses on both cameras. Plus the couple of Nikon and Canon APS-C lenses on A6k.

It could even be argued that, given the possibility to use both speed boosters and glassless adapters the A6000 has twice as many legacy options available since every lens can double as cropped or the 35mm equiv FOV.

"Much".

There are reasons to do either, but the notion that if you are a beginner you are better off with the A6000 argument is to me strange.

The notion that a beginner needs to spend two thousand dollars on a camera to enjoy it is beyond strange to me, it's nothing short of absurd.

As for me, I think the regular, clean, crisp, output that full frame gives with the majority of lenses in most circumstances is a pleasure. I never got that out of either my D40 or D5000 (both providing smudging of details even with top notch lenses at screen level viewing) maybe somehow the A6000 is better, but I would be surprised if most lenses really that level of sharpness.

So you had a bad experience with some Nikon bodies 8 years ago, therefore APS-C sucks. Got it.

Judging by the available side-by-side comparisons, I'd say most people would be hard-pressed to see ANY difference in sharpness below ISO6400 or so at "screen level viewing", unless you use that term differently from everyone else and mean what others call "pixel peeping".

Juhaz's gear list:Juhaz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,839Gear list
Like?
Slow down, beginner

Northoceanbeach wrote:

I'm a beginner. I bought a nikon j1 and three lenses four months ago. I would like to upgrade

Unless your finances are such that you don't bother picking-up a $20 bill that falls out of your wallet, this is nuts. I wouldn't have suggested that a "beginner" start with 3 lenses. You need to figure-out what you really want to do with a camera and lenses before you start buying piles of equipment.

is it [the A7] really that good?

Yes, it is -- but so is your j1. They're good at different things. Image quality, especially in tough circumstances, on the A7 will blow away your j1. However, your j1 can deliver good enough image quality for most purposes and your entire j1 kit might be smaller than a telephoto zoom lens for the A7 (or any other full-frame camera). There are many more subtle differences. It's also true that an A6000 will produce nearly the same image quality as an A7 unless you're shooting in very dim light. Just keep in mind that higher image quality doesn't necessarily mean you'll make "better," more interesting, photos -- that's mostly a function of your skill in using the equipment you have. A beginning painter doesn't suddenly become da Vinci by buying a better canvas and a set of really expensive paint brushes.  

My point is that you should get comfortable enough with the equipment you have so that your future gear choices can be based on enabling you to make the photos you want to make. While you're still calling yourself a beginner and have recently purchased so much equipment, I don't think you're ready to make an intelligent decision about what other camera equipment would be better for you. Make a lot of photos and think about what you really needed the camera equipment to facilitate the kinds of photos you wanted to make but couldn't... then buy the equipment that can best help you make such photos.

Incidentally, try manual focus on your j1 too. I know it's awkward on the j1, but the joy of well-supported manual focus on the Sony cameras is a large part of why many of us no-longer-beginners like Sonys. You might or might not want the extra control manual focus gives you, but it's something you want to know, because it dramatically changes things like lens choices.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Aasmund G
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 3 months ago

Well I looked at his photos, and I saw not a lot of sports which I guess would be the main reason to go A6000. Nevertheless when you start out you may not have a big feel for what type of photography you would be interested in in the long run. Also I would like to highlight you may get more interested in postprocessing after a while, even with pictures you have taken a long time ago, and while shooting raw can mitigate that somewhat, I do wish that most of my D40 shots had more detail.

Joe Przybylski
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?

You have some really impressive photos.

Which is why I think you should just jump on the A7. I was a little like you in that I thought I could live with a pocketable camera with a great sensor (the RX100) but based on my shooting style I missed the flexibility of an interchangeable lens system (which you have with the Nikon) but even more important I've never realized how great a full frame sensor can be for many aspects. Dynamic range is awesome. Depth of field with a wide variety (even the kit lens) is so much better with the A7 and I LOVE being able to switch out for some legacy glass which can be had for next to nothing on eBay.

I say jump to the A7 and stick with it. You'll benefit from it and your pictures are already awesome. Nice work!

Aasmund G
Like?
In reply to Juhaz, 3 months ago

While I appreciate your comments, I think it is fair to challenge the notion that APS-C is somewhat automatically better for beginners. If you want to get the most bang for your buck it might as well argue for 5N or A5000.

There are different fads when it comes to digital cameras, of the top of my head:

- Less megapixels is better

- More megapixels is better

- Optical zoom is a necessity

- Primes are always superior

- in camera flash is a necessity

- Video is necessity

- Somehow that having the video feature on a DSLR makes it worse (!)

- smaller sensor is an advantage as you get more depth of field

etc. etc.

Some things though are generally better: like cheaper, smaller, larger sensor, better lens compatibility, more features, image stabilization and so on.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,146Gear list
Like?

Aasmund G wrote:

Well I looked at his photos, and I saw not a lot of sports which I guess would be the main reason to go A6000.

Sports requires tracking AF, no doubt. I am much more concerned about acquiring AF in the first place on even static subjects. That's why I owned the RX1 for only about 2 months . . . It failed to acquire AF in seemingly average household lighting far too often for my taste. Then again, I have not followed the "world's fast AF" on the A6000 enough to know how it does in average household lighting. My A7 is just okay in this regard. My NEX 5N is just okay. My Canon 6D was excellent. If the A6000 is in between my A7 and the 6D then that would be great. If it's closer to the A7 then having the fastest AF would not benefit the OP since he is shooting static subjects now that I look at his Flickr shots. In fact, I don't see any reason in those photos to leave his Nikon system, which seems to fit him just swell for now.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
bryanchicken
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?

Aasmund G wrote:

- Slightly lower price

- Slightly smaller

A7 advantages:

How is the A7 vastly better with regards to legacy lenses? APS-C legacy lenses will be in lower res crop mode on the A7 but full sensor on the A6000.

Yes, wide angle will be wider on A7 but telephoto will be more tele on A6000, so we'll call that a draw.

ktc9
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 3 months ago

Everyone here has good, well-meaning advice. But they're also focused on what you "need", and that's really different than "want." Most people on the road don't "need" the cars that they have, and don't have the ability to drive at the cars' limits. We get things because we want them

If you want the A7, then get it. But as everyone else says, be prepared for a much larger investment cost, and generally lower yield of good photos as it demands the user to have enough skills/discipline as it is less forgiving than an APS-C camera.

But if you're willing to use the A7 to its capabilities, yes, it's that good

ktc9's gear list:ktc9's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Sony Alpha 7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads