C&C Little League Pics

Started 5 months ago | Photos
JLO13
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
C&C Little League Pics
5 months ago

Tried out my new D610 at a little league game this past weekend.  All comments appreciated.

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jambalawa
Contributing MemberPosts: 717Gear list
Like?
Re: C&C Little League Pics
In reply to JLO13, 5 months ago

Nice clear photos and a great record of the event.

To me to make them that bit more special the subjects need to be isolated from the background a bit (not in all cases - sometimes people looking on in the background is a bonus). And this might only be possible by either getting closer or getting bigger glass to reduce the depth of field, and also to fill the image more with the main subject if desired.

Hope you don't mind but I cropped one and added a bit more contrast.. I just think the main subject needs to have more of a presence in the frame.. still not perfect...  but it makes the eye focus on the action more and the people watching on...

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,244Gear list
Like?
The entire set screams

I am using a center point AF camera and don't feel comfortable yet recomposing.  Either try using the outer AF points more, learn to focus-recompose, or buy a camera that you feel does not restrict your composition on AF technicalities.  If you feel you are spending too much time trying to technically nail AF over getting a good shot, you either need to really up your technique to be second nature, or purchase another camera that allows you to focus more on composition.  Only the last shot in the picture may have required center point AF and even that is a maybe.  A good set would be pictures that are varied enough so that someone can't look at it and say...you only used a limited technique on a limited spec camera.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532Gear list
Like?

To be honest they look like snapshots.  I'm not a pro, but I did shoot my son and teams when he played.  I found a few good pictures that conveyed the game, the atmosphere, a few good close ups of all the players in action, the mood etc., before and after the game was much better than a high volume.  I did take many photos to get this, but kept a select few. You have plenty of MP to crop, so get creative on what you do have.  The AF shouldn't limit you.  Also sit in the dugout if you can.  I also asked permission from ump to be on the field down foul lines.

Here are a just a few that demonstrate my POV but there are more in my gallery:

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,623
Like?
Get closer

Time for you to buy that 400 mm f2.8!

maljo

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?

I'm guessing you have some sort of 300mm zoom lens. I'd use "closer" focal length, which is pretty much the same as cropping but you'd get more pixels for the frame that way so better resolution.

JLO13
Like?
In reply to jambalawa, 5 months ago

Thanks for the great suggestion.  I will definitely give that a try.

JLO13
Like?
Re: The entire set screams
In reply to Timbukto, 5 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

I am using a center point AF camera and don't feel comfortable yet recomposing. Either try using the outer AF points more, learn to focus-recompose, or buy a camera that you feel does not restrict your composition on AF technicalities. If you feel you are spending too much time trying to technically nail AF over getting a good shot, you either need to really up your technique to be second nature, or purchase another camera that allows you to focus more on composition. Only the last shot in the picture may have required center point AF and even that is a maybe. A good set would be pictures that are varied enough so that someone can't look at it and say...you only used a limited technique on a limited spec camera.

Interesting take. I am not sure if your comments relate more to my technique or you just don't like the camera. Can you tell me how you recompose when the camera is set to continuous auto focus?

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147Gear list
Like?

JLO13 wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

I am using a center point AF camera and don't feel comfortable yet recomposing. Either try using the outer AF points more, learn to focus-recompose, or buy a camera that you feel does not restrict your composition on AF technicalities. If you feel you are spending too much time trying to technically nail AF over getting a good shot, you either need to really up your technique to be second nature, or purchase another camera that allows you to focus more on composition. Only the last shot in the picture may have required center point AF and even that is a maybe. A good set would be pictures that are varied enough so that someone can't look at it and say...you only used a limited technique on a limited spec camera.

Interesting take. I am not sure if your comments relate more to my technique or you just don't like the camera. Can you tell me how you recompose when the camera is set to continuous auto focus?

Not Timbukto here, but I'll offer an answer: Option 1 is to move the focus point so that you can continue to maintain focus, but not necessarily with the focus point in the middle of the frame. Option 2 is to use back button focus. Acquire focus, release the button (so focus locks), recompose, then shoot. I use this second.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,510Gear list
Like?

Agree with the other gentlemen.

You should fill the frame more, and explore more compositions instead of center-frame.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
JLO13
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 5 months ago

Thanks for the tip.  I will give that a try.

JLO13
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 5 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

Agree with the other gentlemen.

You should fill the frame more, and explore more compositions instead of center-frame.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

Thanks.  As was stated by some others, I need to do one of two things - get closer to the field or get a larger zoom.  The second option is not available at the moment but I can certainly try the first.  Thanks to everyone for their feedback.  I will post some more after my next attempt.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads