Post your Blood Moon pictures

Started 5 months ago | Photos
msykes
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Post your Blood Moon pictures
5 months ago

I can't be the only one who stayed up to watch the Blood Moon/Lunar Eclipse last night - please share yours!

I will kick it off with my first real attempts at photographing the moon.  I was pleasantly surprised with how my pictures from the SEL35F18 turned out - sure these could benefit from a much longer lens but they are definitely recognizable as the moon.

These are 100% crops straight out of the camera.  For the last one I used my GorillaPod.

100% crops.  First two: F11 - 1/200 - ISO200.  Last one: F8 - 4.0 - ISO200 .  NEX-F3/SEL35F18

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
HaroldC3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Post your Blood Moon pictures
In reply to msykes, 5 months ago

A cloudy night here in Eastern WA but I was still able to get a few discernible shots.  Taken with the Nex 6 and 55-210mm lens.

HaroldC3's gear list:HaroldC3's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bzavala
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to HaroldC3, 5 months ago

A7 with AstroMaster 70AZ telescope.

Nevada Landscapes
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?

This was the first time I attempted moon pictures.  I used a 300mm lens and put my A7R in crop mode to shoot at approximately 600mm.

Nevada Landscapes's gear list:Nevada Landscapes's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony Alpha 7R
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?

Here's mine!

Full lunar eclipse and Spica

Canon FD 70-210 f/4 at 210mm and f/4, f/4.8, or f/5.6 (don't recall)

1/10s - handheld with my two palms resting on the top of the window, forming sort of a duopod.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
F Stop Fitzgerald
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
From the deck of a cruise ship with a 90mm!
In reply to areichow, 5 months ago

I am a professional magician/comedian doing a show on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship.  Last night after my performance I heard about the eclipse and sat out on the open deck.

It was a cloudless sky in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

On the ship I did not have a tripod and only had my A7R and two m-mount prime lenses: a 50mm and a 90mm.  Not exactly the ideal setup for astrophotography on a moving ship IMHO.  I was forced to use the Leica 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit M lens

To keep me company, on the iPod I played both the studio and live versions of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and remained in a chair for the 90 minute duration so that each shot would have a similar orientation.

Except for the last shot, the manual setting was ISO 250, 1/500th at f/8

I took two handheld shots, every 5 minutes.

Later I picked the best of each pair and severely cropped them down to the moon.  Then in Photoshop CC, I made a composite.

So far Space.com has posted my image and this morning the BBC has asked me permission to use it.

Here's the shot:

F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list:F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Joachim Wulfers
Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?
Re: From the deck of a cruise ship with a 90mm!
In reply to F Stop Fitzgerald, 5 months ago

Great shots and very good composition. Congratulation for the success. Sometimes it pays to stay up late at night.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
msykes
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: From the deck of a cruise ship with a 90mm!
In reply to F Stop Fitzgerald, 5 months ago

So far Space.com has posted my image and this morning the BBC has asked me permission to use it.

Here's the shot:

To me this is a pretty special shot (well, collection of shots).  I think it's the level of dedication to the sequence of images at 5 minute intervals.  I was lazy to went out only once during the full moon, once during the progression of the eclipse, and once during the full eclipse.

The shadow encroaching from the top left gives the impression to me that the moon is swooping through a gentle arc in your collage but my on screen ruler confirms this is just an optical illusion and the bottom of the moon is indeed perfectly aligned.

teaberry
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?
Here's mine with A7+tamron75300

Pics were taken from midnight to 3am+ CST.

Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/gp/60364372@N07/XBGB31/

teaberry's gear list:teaberry's gear list
A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC
Superglue
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's mine with A7+tamron75300
In reply to teaberry, 5 months ago

Nice shots all and I notice what I think is the probe in that one shot someone posted.  I was not so lucky as with all night time photo ops of the sky , the weather was very rainy for me. Oh well maybe next time.

Superglue's gear list:Superglue's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Pentax Q NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +16 more
teaberry
Like?
What 300mm lens allow...
In reply to Nevada Landscapes, 5 months ago

allow you to use "smart zoom" feature on A7R? Was it with LAEA adapter? Please share details as I'm interested to have a similar setup. Thanks!

djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

Your shots look great, especially considering the focal length you used.  Here's a few from my evening:

Moonrise over the Wasatch:  Sony A7R w/Canon FL 1200mm f11 (@f22)

Before the eclipse: Sony A7R w/Canon FL1200mm f11 (@f22).

Blood Moon:  Sony A7R w/Canon FL 1200mm f11 (@f11)

The lens was fun to shoot, but I definitely need a better tripod!  Was hampered by slight wind and some very wispy cloud cover as the eclipse started.  The blood moon shot was ISO 6400, f11, 1/4 sec exposure - guess that's what happens when you have a slow lens and not much light

Images were RAW processed a little in Aperture for exposure and contrast, and very slightly cropped.  I really need to learn how to work with RAW files - this is one of my first attempts.  I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could get a much better image out of the file

Cheers,

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
mikehland
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to djp58, 5 months ago

Nikon v1 , FT-1 , 70mm-300mm VR2 , between the rain and clouds ...

mikehland's gear list:mikehland's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon 1 V1 +3 more
Nevada Landscapes
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Re: What 300mm lens allow...
In reply to teaberry, 5 months ago

teaberry wrote:

allow you to use "smart zoom" feature on A7R? Was it with LAEA adapter? Please share details as I'm interested to have a similar setup. Thanks!

It doesn't matter which lens you use, mine happens to be a Nikon mount Tamron, just put the camera in ASP-C (crop sensor) mode.  I don't have my camera in hand to tell you the exact place in the menu, but you should be able to find it.

Nevada Landscapes's gear list:Nevada Landscapes's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony Alpha 7R
teaberry
Like?
The white do on the moon...
In reply to mikehland, 5 months ago

about middle but more like upper left quadrant if you divide it up in 4, is that a "hot spot" or a sensor issue? Not bad for V1 as I was always tempted to pick one up for slo-mo HFR shooting.

teaberry
Like?
Guess I should have read the manual
In reply to Nevada Landscapes, 5 months ago

I saw that and turned it off thinking it'll give me a 10MP pic.....I guess it will, but is that the same as Clear Zoom? Thx

F Stop Fitzgerald
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
Optical Illusion!

msykes wrote:

Here's the shot:

To me this is a pretty special shot (well, collection of shots). I think it's the level of dedication to the sequence of images at 5 minute intervals. I was lazy to went out only once during the full moon, once during the progression of the eclipse, and once during the full eclipse.

At first I really had no plan.  I just took the first shot and noticed that the moon was too small with my 90mm lens.  Then decided to take the shot's at 5 minute intervals and as I was doing it I kind of put it together in my mind. And hoped it would look OK in photoshop.

Luckily the A7R has so much resolution, I was able to crop very heavily and still get a usual image.

The shadow encroaching from the top left gives the impression to me that the moon is swooping through a gentle arc in your collage but my on screen ruler confirms this is just an optical illusion and the bottom of the moon is indeed perfectly aligned.

Yes, you are absolutely right....there is an optical illusion!!!  When I did the composite in photoshop, I used the command " key stroke to get an grid overlay and I carefully spaced out and lined up the moons.  Then later I noticed the arc and thought I was losing my mind.  LOL

F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list:F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads