What should I sell? 5D II or 7D. I have the 5DIII

Started 8 months ago | Questions
crashman55
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
What should I sell? 5D II or 7D. I have the 5DIII
8 months ago

I dont need 3 bodies, and need some opinions. I posted in lens forum by accident, so i am reposting in this category. So I own all 3 cameras and want to sell one to buy another lens, or upgrade my 70-200mm to a mkII. Anyways, i am wondering if I should sell my 5Dmk II or the 7D. I shoot weddings, and a little bit of everything else that i can.

Please help.

crashman55's gear list:crashman55's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,993
Like?
Re: What should I sell? 5D II or 7D. I have the 5DIII
In reply to crashman55, 8 months ago

crashman55 wrote:

I dont need 3 bodies, and need some opinions. I posted in lens forum by accident, so i am reposting in this category. So I own all 3 cameras and want to sell one to buy another lens, or upgrade my 70-200mm to a mkII. Anyways, i am wondering if I should sell my 5Dmk II or the 7D. I shoot weddings, and a little bit of everything else that i can.

Please help.

You can best answer this question yourself, but I'll give you a hand with what kind of question you should ask yourself in order to do it:

At any given wedding or event, is your second camera used a backup, or do you use it simultaneously in a different way?

The Mark II is obviously much closer to the Mark III. Thus, if your second camera is primarily a backup, it would be best for you. On the other hand, if you shoot simultaneously, the 7D is a terrific action and telephoto camera, and would compliment the Mark III.

For years, I paired two different 1D bodies for weddings; the 1DIIN, with a 1.3x crop, kept the 70-200 mounted, while the full frame 1Ds II kept the 24-105 L and sometimes the 17-40 L. Both cameras had straps and were constantly with me. Today, I keep a similar strategy, but with far less weight; a 6D serves as a my full-frame body, while a 60D keeps the long lens. Later on in the reception, for candids of people I interact with, I actually use just the 60D with the 17-40 and retire the 6D. People are generally more intimated by two bodies, and that particular L lens is wonderfully small, lightweight, and good for this kind of stuff on a crop body. One other thing I love about having a crop body handy is how it pairs so well with the Rokinon 8mm fisheye. Images on this lens are vignetted on full frame, but on APS-C require no cropping afterwards.

So of course, everything relies on YOUR own individual style and needs. There is no such thing as a better camera, but rather what camera is BEST FOR YOU. I've given you my approach and hopefully something to think about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

Depends on what you shoot mostly. If mainly for landscape and portrait, then 5D2 is much closer to 5D3. If you also shoot lots in sports and wildlife, then 7D should complement 5D3 better.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,736Gear list
Like?

Please help.

Really difficult to answer unless we know better what all those other uses are and how important they would be.
You must know about their strengths and weaknesses already.
You might be better to just ask us to vote as I think you want us to help choose for you not based on you but rather what we would choose.
I choose you keep the 7D because it has some different attributes over the 5DIII.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
crashman55
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
In reply to riknash, 8 months ago

Wow, such a wide response. Guess I knew that was coming since no 2 photographers are the same. I shoot all kinds of stuff, portraits, events, Macro, parties but no landscapes etc...

But I keep asking myself if 2 FF bodies: (5D3 being awesome AF and the other (5d2) not really offering anything else better or different. While the 7d offers a couple of things, better AF than 5d2 and more reach. But at the expense of ISO. So the only reason to keep the 5d2 would be if I wanted 2 FF on me at all times at a wedding, which I dont, and if i needed the camera systems to be the same, which I dont care. I am familiar with both, actually more the 7d because i reached for it alot before the 5d3. And yes maybe a vote would be a suggestion.LOL

crashman55's gear list:crashman55's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?

Sell the 7D.  Crop sensor won't be a good backup to your full frame. Keep FF in the family!

-- hide signature --

“We are a way for the cosmos to know itself.” - Carl Sagan

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
DBCossini
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
In reply to Serickmetz, 8 months ago

I find the crop sensor a bit to tight for my style of wedding photography, I have two 5D lll and 5Dll for back up 3 speedlights and 2 battery packs and several lenses, I like the ability to be able to shoot just about anything with this setup.

DBCossini's gear list:DBCossini's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,263Gear list
Like?

crashman55 wrote:

Please help.

Easy, if your a wedding photographer you should have a backup body as a standard thing. typically the bodies are the same model.

As soon as you sell your extra bodies, Murphy's Law will appear.

Just depends how much of a risk you want to take for your work.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
rebel99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253
Like?

crashman55 wrote:

Please help.

i would like to say, if you have these three cameras, you should know more than anyone else in this thread which cameras to keep. here, with exception of a few, you'll end up with quite a few deluded ideas that chances are, you'll be even more confused than before you started this thread my $.02.

cheerz.

yodermk
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
I'd say keep a crop

Got the 5D3 but still keep and use my 60D for various things.  Like last night's lunar eclipse.  The reach and pixel density does help.

Having a backup to your 5D3 for weddings is a valid point, but surely if you have a crop camera you also have suitable lenses for it.  Have them all with you and you should be fine, even in a 5D3 emergency.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
kopper
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?

crashman55 wrote:

I shoot weddings, and a little bit of everything else that i can.

I kept my 7D. I would think for you it's about how much "everything else that I can" is of your overall shooting. I don't do weddings or much with people, but mostly landscapes, outdoors, and interiors. But I have a son in a major rock band and need the reach too. Normally though, the 7D has my 100-400 mounted on it and my 5Diii has the 24-105 on it. I've sold off all but one non-L EF-S lens, and the 7D is my "long reach" and backup. Sometimes I do carry both cameras, but more then half the time, I just carry the 5Diii and a variety of lenses. All my non-L lenses of course, are also usable on both cameras, and at times my 70-200 f/2.8 L v2 gets passed back and forth between the bodies depending on needs for reach. Also, I prefer the 100mm macro on the 7D vs 5Diii.

Hope this helps.

kopper

-- hide signature --

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
pix.kopperhead.com
http://www.kopperhead.com

jsmiller
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?

Since I didn't notice anyone else mentioning it, why not sell both cameras and buy a new 5D III body. That way you would have two identical cameras, and at one of your shoots you could have different lenses on the two bodies. This makes switching between lenses very fast and easy.

An other alternative is to sell the two cameras and consider something radically different as your second camera. For example, a much smaller camera such as an m43 or Sony model or some such would give you the option of having something more portable and less obtrusive, good for quick candid shots. I know people will say these small cameras have unacceptable quality for wedding work, but in careful hands they can do surprisingly well.

Joe

riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,736Gear list
Like?
In reply to jsmiller, 8 months ago

Since I didn't notice anyone else mentioning it, why not sell both cameras and buy a new 5D III body. That way you would have two identical cameras, and at one of your shoots you could have different lenses on the two bodies. This makes switching between lenses very fast and easy.

An other alternative is to sell the two cameras and consider something radically different as your second camera. For example, a much smaller camera such as an m43 or Sony model or some such would give you the option of having something more portable and less obtrusive, good for quick candid shots. I know people will say these small cameras have unacceptable quality for wedding work, but in careful hands they can do surprisingly well.

Joe

I still say we should have a vote and he must do whatever the outcome is. Otherwise he really needs to decide what's best for himself. I do like the idea of selling both but I'd recommend a 1dmk iv instead to address all those other undisclosed uses he would have.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
fishywisht
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
In reply to riknash, 8 months ago

riknash wrote:

I still say we should have a vote and he must do whatever the outcome is. Otherwise he really needs to decide what's best for himself. I do like the idea of selling both but I'd recommend a 1dmk iv instead to address all those other undisclosed uses he would have.

I think it's "odd" that OP wouldn't already know the answer himself. It depends if he needs a like-for-like backup. Seems to me that without long telephotos in his bag he doesn't need a crop sensor. Also: the 7D has not been superseded yet and can get a higher proportion of its new price than the 5D II, which has indeed been superseded.

Nonetheless, in his situation I would be eyeing up a 1DS III instead. It does not have the lowest noise performance but it still has the quality.

N_Architect
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?

I had 40D, 60D, 5D Mk II, 1D Mk II N.

Gifted the 40D to my sister, sold the 60D & 5D Mk II recently, bought the 5D Mk III, kept the 1D Mk II N.

Next body will either be a 70D for convenience/backup, or most likely a 1DX (which I should have bought in the first place when I got my 5D Mk III couple of months back).

I do mostly travel, street and portraits (for hobby, not a pro).

N_Architect's gear list:N_Architect's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Samsung NX10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon 1 V2 +15 more
Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,216
Like?
i agree with this...
In reply to ryan2007, 8 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

crashman55 wrote:

Please help.

Easy, if your a wedding photographer you should have a backup body as a standard thing. typically the bodies are the same model.

As soon as you sell your extra bodies, Murphy's Law will appear.

Just depends how much of a risk you want to take for your work.

If your work is top of the line and people really depend on you, the 5d2 has more value for "the what if".   But if you are the family photographer or the guy who gets paid in food at the wedding or like $100 bucks for the day, then base it on which body yields a sjgnificant return for its value.  If 5d2 is selling for like $1500 and 7d only $600... that is a huge factor to consider.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
ML's intervalometer opens up unattended quasi-time-lapse possibilities

crashman55 wrote:
I dont need 3 bodies, and need some opinions. So I own all 3 cameras and want to sell one to buy another lens, or upgrade my 70-200mm to a mkII. Anyways, i am wondering if I should sell my 5Dmk II or the 7D. I shoot weddings, and a little bit of everything else that i can.

Perhaps for a period of time, you might tackle the learning curve of MagicLantern, and then be intentional about altering your way of shooting to have all three in use more of the time. Perhaps you've already done that, and it doesn't work for you. If so, disregard.

I've got a recently purchased 6d, plus older 5d2, and T3i/600d. Also S110. With MagicLantern's very nice intervalometer, I'm able to do pre-focused, wide angle "time lapses". I use CHDK on my S110 to also get intervalometer capability.

I could, but I'm not doing "time lapses" to put together an actual time-lapse, but to have more angles to choose from that can be un-attended. Out of 100+ images of one camera's time-lapse, I might only use 10 or so, and sometimes only 2 or 3. Caveat: the p.p. workflow is challenging.

I tend to have the 70-200mm on the Rebel T3i for more "reach". Perhaps 50mm f1.8 or 35mm f2 IS or 24-105mm at 24mm on my 5d2 getting the overall context from a "crow's nest". Maybe 150-500mm on my 6d to get in tight? I do try to take the most challenging, most important images with the 6d.

Examples: this morning, I was at a sunrise service using 3 cameras. If I were doing it over, I've have taken all four cameras.

Also used 3 cameras at a Good Friday service, and 3 cameras at another Easter service at a different church. I used all four cameras at a wedding several weeks ago, two and sometimes three in un-attended time-lapse mode.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?

crashman55 wrote:

But I keep asking myself if 2 FF bodies: (5D3 being awesome AF and the other (5d2) not really offering anything else better or different. While the 7d offers a couple of things, better AF than 5d2 and more reach. But at the expense of ISO. So the only reason to keep the 5d2 would be if I wanted 2 FF on me at all times at a wedding, which I dont, and if i needed the camera systems to be the same, which I dont care. I am familiar with both, actually more the 7d because i reached for it alot before the 5d3.

I wish I'd been here a week ago to throw in my two cents.  Well, here it is anyway.  I say keep the 7D.  You imply that you use it and like it more than the 5D2.

That said, if it were me I'd keep the 5D2.  I currently use two 5D3 during weddings and find it extremely useful to pop different lenses on each so changing a lens is as easy as a quick hand-off with my assistant.  And processing is easier too.  Yes, you can have different lenses on FF and crop and make it work but I've done that and found I prefer keeping everything the same.  But again, to each their own style and though I've used 7Ds in combination, a few years back I switched to solely FF, all same body.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads