Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
BlueRoomElectronics
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
8 months ago

I picked up the silver A6000 with SEL1650pz kit this afternoon in Toronto (thanks Jeff) and my first impression was it's lighter than it looks. I'm used to black bodied cameras and I hope silver is as durable.

The old NEX menu system isn't the default (yay) and I haven't dug around enough to see if it's buried in there somewhere. The amount of menu options is very large. I do prefer this style of menu over the old NEX style.

Menu has six categories with option screens, a few options have sub options... It's going to take a awhile to dig through them all and read the manual.

Camera: 42

Setup: 30

WiFi: 11

Applications: 2

Playback:10

Tools: 29

Physically the camera looks and feels great. Plenty of customizable buttons. Puddles of fun just in time for the summer.

Sony's updated the iOS remote app and you can remotely control the power zoom on the SEL1650pz (I don't recall it being an option on my NEX-6).

-- hide signature --

Bill (photography enthusiast)
My Blog http://colossus.dsmynas.com/

 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago

BlueRoomElectronics wrote:

Sony's updated the iOS remote app and you can remotely control the power zoom on the SEL1650pz (I don't recall it being an option on my NEX-6).

-- hide signature --

Bill (photography enthusiast)
My Blog http://colossus.dsmynas.com/

FWIW, this is an option on the NEX-5R and 6, as long as you have the newer (1.02, at least on the 5R) camera firmware, the newest Smart Remote camera app, and a recent copy of the PlayMemories app.

 areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,578Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago

BlueRoomElectronics wrote:

I picked up the silver A6000 with SEL1650pz kit this afternoon in Toronto (thanks Jeff) and my first impression was it's lighter than it looks. I'm used to black bodied cameras and I hope silver is as durable.

The old NEX menu system isn't the default (yay) and I haven't dug around enough to see if it's buried in there somewhere. The amount of menu options is very large. I do prefer this style of menu over the old NEX style.

Menu has six categories with option screens, a few options have sub options... It's going to take a awhile to dig through them all and read the manual.

Camera: 42

Setup: 30

WiFi: 11

Applications: 2

Playback:10

Tools: 29

Physically the camera looks and feels great. Plenty of customizable buttons. Puddles of fun just in time for the summer.

Sony's updated the iOS remote app and you can remotely control the power zoom on the SEL1650pz (I don't recall it being an option on my NEX-6).

-- hide signature --

Bill (photography enthusiast)
My Blog http://colossus.dsmynas.com/

Congrats Bill. What store? Do they have black without the kit?

Cheers,

José

 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueRoomElectronics
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to José B, 8 months ago

José B wrote:

Congrats Bill. What store? Do they have black without the kit?

Cheers,

José

Greetings José, it was Downtown Camera and they had a handful of black non kit bodies but I think they were all spoken for. The A6000 might be in short order for a wee bit.

I did find the old style NEX menu option, and although it's less cartoony it's still an option I'll never use. Plus the IMHO awful auto crop portrait mode is still there and on by default.

-- hide signature --
 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,578Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago

BlueRoomElectronics wrote:

José B wrote:

Congrats Bill. What store? Do they have black without the kit?

Cheers,

José

Greetings José, it was Downtown Camera and they had a handful of black non kit bodies but I think they were all spoken for. The A6000 might be in short order for a wee bit.

I did find the old style NEX menu option, and although it's less cartoony it's still an option I'll never use. Plus the IMHO awful auto crop portrait mode is still there and on by default.

-- hide signature --

Thanks Bill. I called Henry's but they have not received it yet, hopefully they'll get it next week.

Yes, the menu system of A6000 is totally different from our NEX-6. I shot with a pre-production copy a few weeks ago and I had to rely on a Sony Canada rep to do the settings for me during the Toronto Fashion week.

Enjoy your new camera.

José

 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueRoomElectronics
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to José B, 8 months ago

Did you call Downtown Camera? The one on Queen St E.

-- hide signature --
 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aerosol
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago

Hi Bill,

how do you fill about body material- plastic or metal?

Thanks and congrats!

 aerosol's gear list:aerosol's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,578Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago

BlueRoomElectronics wrote:

Did you call Downtown Camera? The one on Queen St E.

-- hide signature --

No I haven't. Henry's should get it soon....I'm in the first batch.

 José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueRoomElectronics
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to aerosol, 8 months ago

aerosol wrote:

Hi Bill,

how do you fill about body material- plastic or metal?

Thanks and congrats!

I have no idea what the casing is made of. The flash is plastic, but the upper casing could be anything, possibly pure unobtainum. Whatever it's made of the fit & finish is excellent, I just hope it's durable.

Now I have to figure out what to assign all those custom buttons to.

-- hide signature --
 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueRoomElectronics
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago

I can't fathom why Sony includes a hot-shoe cover on the RX100 but they don't include one with the A6000. I'll see if I can source one from Sony. Anyone know the part number?

-- hide signature --
 BlueRoomElectronics's gear list:BlueRoomElectronics's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aerosol
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up my A6000 in Toronto today!
In reply to BlueRoomElectronics, 8 months ago
 aerosol's gear list:aerosol's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads