Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
A few from yesterday - TX1 with 10-24mm and 55-200mm
5 months ago

Our favorite mountain lake in B&W with the 55-200mm:

Chase at the lake - 55-200mm:

Lower level of a massive industrial building abandoned deep in the mountain - maybe an old stone crusher?  Sadly, there are graffiti scumbags here in the sticks, too.  10-24mm:

Another lake in the mountains near the old factory building.  Rock climbing is popular here in the summer.  Another 10-24mm pic:

Chase watching a wild Canadian goose on the lake:

The geese kept honking at Chase and paddling around directly in front of him.  After a while, Chase couldn't take it anymore (he is a bird dog, after all) and he jumped in the icy water to give them a lesson.  As always happens, they paddled along at about 1/3 speed just out of reach, while Chase swam at full speed with all his heart to catch them.    Lifetime score to date:  Geese: 10,000 - Chase 0.  This was another shot with the 55-200mm:

Thanks for looking!

Greg

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Re: A few from yesterday - TX1 with 10-24mm and 55-200mm
In reply to Birddogman, 5 months ago

Nice set. The last one is my favorite. Should be submitted to a dictionary to use as an example of the word, Persistence

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?

Another great set of shots, Greg!  Looking at these really makes me all the more excited for me to receive my back ordered X-T1, 23, 55-200mm.

Thanks for sharing!

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Joytx4u
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?

Very nice captures Birddogman! I enjoy looking at images, always sharp.

Thank you for sharing,

joytx4u

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,005Gear list
Like?

A very nice series, but that first B&W shot is something special! Well done...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
Like?

Beautiful pictures. Very well done!

If you don't mind, could you share how you processed these?

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?

Nice pictures and great looking backyard!

If you don't mind a little critique though, the second picture needed a little co-operation from Chase; he's lost against the rock in the background. Perhaps you could have moved to the right a little to give him some separation?

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Starred
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

Why is the head of the dog purple in the second pic?

Birddogman
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 5 months ago

Yeah, Al - Chase is nothing if not tenacious. That's a very good quality for a bird dog. I've seen him make some absolutely astounding long distance, difficult retrieves. The waterfowl in the off-season are another matter.

He's been trying to catch geese, ducks, etc, in bodies of water since he was a pup - even fish. The birds are smart enough to know that he can't get them and they seem to enjoy staying just out of reach whilst he chugs along furiously, splashing and panting. He has learned this lesson, but when they tease him, it's too much. This time the geese really teased him, by coming right next to the shore and honking loudly and non-stop in his face.

Frankly, I think he just likes to swim and that's part of the motivation.

I have a zillion pics of this - here he is trying to catch a big palomino trout in my brook.  The score on fish is much the same as on geese.

Sometime when I feel like typing a long story, I'll tell you how he got his name - Chase.  It's a good story - has to do with high plains western jackrabbits.

Greg

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Birddogman
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, 5 months ago

Thank you.  I don't blame you for being anxious to get that equipment.  With the XP1 and now even more with the great TX1, I've been enjoying photography much more than I have since switching from film to digital.  I sure don't miss the dank, toxic darkroom, but now I finally have digital cameras I really like, too - they don't feel like little plastic computers - and the IQ is wonderful, too boot.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?

I think the pictures tell at least some of the story behind his name.

You story reminded me of a time at the Central Park Zoo when I was shooting snow monkeys. They have their area on an island surrounded by water and sometimes the ducks swim nearby and quack just to annoy them. But one of the ducks got a bit close and the monkey reached out to grab its throat. As Maxwell Smart might say, "missed it by that much"

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Birddogman
Like?
In reply to Joytx4u, 5 months ago

Thank you for looking!!

BTW, I love your name.  My new puppy who will be arriving in August will be named Joy, in honor of the joy that dear, sweet Maggie (who died in February) gave me every day for 15.5 years.

Greg

Birddogman
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, 5 months ago

Thank you Ray.  As always, you are too kind!

Birddogman
Like?
In reply to ajamils1, 5 months ago

I enjoy PP'ing images at least as much as I enjoy capturing them. Since I serve as a caregiver for my completely helpless wife, I have lots of time stuck in the house - something I never did before her stroke. Playing around with PP'ing gives me something I enjoy to pass that time. So, I will apologize in advance for how boring this answer will be - but you asked!

#1 was a color image that I converted to B&W in CS5. Before starting the conversion, I reduced saturation in the color image, because I wanted a ethereal, gentle effect; and then played around quite a bit with the various color channels in the B&W conversion layer until I got very close to the look I wanted. Finally, I painted some shadows and some sun light on to the water to draw the eye to that area. Added a frame and done.

#2. I worked with curves and painting in shadow and light areas to get the lighting the way I wanted it. Then I bumped up the saturation in some of the tree trunks and the green overhanging branch to give a little more color. I both increased and deceased the saturation in various parts of the water to get the look I wanted. Then I did what I think is called the "Orton Effect" (where something is sharp and blurred at the same time, if that makes any sense), by making a duplicate layer and subjecting it to a 5 pixel Gaussian blur. I blended the blurred layer with the original using the Overlay mode and then erased the blurred layer over Chase and selectively sharpened him a bit as well. I added a border and quit.

#3. Here, there was a good bit of distortion from the super-wide lens, so I chose the vertical pillar to the left as the base line and straightened the picture so that line would be directly up and down and let everything else flow from that. Then, I added shadow (on the floor and flat part of the walls to draw attention away from those features) and highlights (on the facing parts of the arches to emphasize the shapes and some of the graffiti) and added saturation to some of the graffiti that I had highlighted. A simple frame and done.

#4 Here, I painted in highlights and shadows on the water pretty heavily (for example to show the reflection of the rock wall in the water and to give the appearance of a light source just to the left of the rock wall). I saturated the color in parts of the water - also with a rather heavy hand to get that cool blue-green in the middle. The foreground log was almost white and featureless from weathering, so I darkened it, added a brown color that wasn't there and then did a good bit a sharpening to give it some detail as I wanted to draw the eye there first. I added a touch of the same brown I used on the log to parts of the distant rock wall - not sure why, my eye just wanted it there. Again, a simple black border and done.

#5. This one was done pretty much like #2 - Orton Effect, sharpening Chase and all. However, there was a huge hanging pine branch that pretty much filled the entire upper left quadrant of the pic - ruined it completely, so I got rid of that and "painted" in the water you see there. Also, the goose in the OOC image was way off to the right - ruined the composition, so I moved her to the left a bit, getting the composition I wanted and painted more water around her. Basically the OOC image looked very little like the finished image - a lot of it is fake - but the finished image shows what really happened that day much better than the OOC image.

#6. This is straight OOC - not even a border.

Comments on how I could have done this better and suggestions for improvement are much appreciated!

Greg

Birddogman
Like?
In reply to Pritzl, 5 months ago

Thank you!!  I appreciate the criticism very much and I see what you mean.  Is this image better in the regard?

BTW, Chase pretty much decides where he goes - I have to take whatever poses he is willing to offer. 

Birddogman
Like?
In reply to Starred, 5 months ago

Because there is something wrong with your monitor?    I don't see any purple there at all - maybe something is wrong with MY monitor??

Birddogman
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 5 months ago

Good story, Al!

Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
In reply to Starred, 5 months ago

Starred wrote:

Why is the head of the dog purple in the second pic?

It's a Pennsylvania Lavender Retriever.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?

Birddogman wrote:

Thank you for looking!!

BTW, I love your name. My new puppy who will be arriving in August will be named Joy, in honor of the joy that dear, sweet Maggie (who died in February) gave me every day for 15.5 years.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm so sorry that Maggie has past away, but am happy to hear that you are getting another little puppy!  Chase will love having a partner again and I know how much happiness the pup will bring to you as well.

My Golden Retriever (whom we loved as a son) also passed away on Feb 7th this year.  He was 13 years and 3 months old.  Our house is so quiet and their is such a void left in our hearts…so we sought out a reputable breeder in hopes to finding one that had a litter coming soon.  We found one, the pups were actually born on my birthday and will be 8 weeks old and ready to be brought home the first weekend in May!

No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Pritzl
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?

Birddogman wrote:

Thank you!! I appreciate the criticism very much and I see what you mean. Is this image better in the regard?

Nicely done!

BTW, Chase pretty much decides where he goes - I have to take whatever poses he is willing to offer.

Those models, prima donnas every last one of them!

Pritzl's gear list:Pritzl's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads