X-E1 Viewfinder and First Impressions

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
mdb1986
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
X-E1 Viewfinder and First Impressions
8 months ago

I have a X-E1 for about a week right now that I'm evaluating.  I have both the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses.  It seems OK.  But the viewfinder is beyond bad.  I mean, you can't read the text on the screen or anything.  Looking through it is like trying to look at Mt Rushmore with reading glasses.  I mean, it's awful.  Perhaps it's just defective?  Or maybe there's some setting I'm missing?

Other than that, I'm seeing some pretty slow focus times - especially with the 55-200 - which is ironic, since I'm coming from the EOS M, which was supposed to have the worst AF ever.  The pictures certainly seem nice, but the screen isn't close to the M.  It's like comparing a 2010 flip phone to the Iphone 5.  I can't see a huge difference in image quality under good lighting conditions, but under high ISO, definitely a big difference.  Fuji wins no question.  Fuji also wins in ability to customize and neat features.

One of the big reasons I wanted to switch from M was that I thought it would become too bulky with the EF/EF-S adapter.  Ironically, the M with the adapter and Tamron 18-200 is still smaller and thinner than the X-E1 with 55-200 attached.

I'll admit, perhaps I'm just a hick photography that likes "ketchup of my steak", but thought I would share my thoughts in general when asking about the viewfinder.  Of course, something new is always difficult, so I'll give it time and post more once I get out and shoot with it some more.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone.  So if you think I'm an incompetent idiot, please say so nicely :).

mdb1986's gear list:mdb1986's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Re: X-E1 Viewfinder and First Impressions
In reply to mdb1986, 8 months ago

Love my X-E1 viewfinder, all I care about is framing the picture, not sure why you would not be comfortable doing that.  I haven't felt it to be uncomfortable in any way.

-- hide signature --

[[[If I am commenting on your X trans photos, I consider it a shame there are a few users out there who say test charts keep them away from X trans, this then encompasses all photos like these, amazing but true.]]]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?

"Beyond bad"? You haven't seen some of the viewfinders I've looked through. It's probably not quite as good as the NEX7 and far below that of a D800 but I've used my XE1 for over a year and never thought to complain about it. The XT1 has a much better viewfinder but that is the way of things between generations.

The XE1 is also not a sports/action cam but I found it sufficient for my needs. When I needed to shoot serious action/wildlife with focus tracking I would lug out my weighty D800. Now that I have the XT1 with both contrast and phase detection focusing I reach for my D800 less often.

Make sure you update your camera and lenses to the latest firmware, there were some performance improvements included in the updates.

Enjoy your kit, I found the lenses to be superb and the Fuji sensor produces wonderful color tones.

If you still think your viewfinder is faulty take it into a camera store and ask to compare it to their demo model. It's an easy way to see if you have a lemon and need to return it.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
mdb1986
Like?
In reply to Dabbler, 8 months ago

Thanks. So is this what it is supposed to look like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMnOuH64n24

Because it seriously looks more like this.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00009k8bCni2euU/s/860/860/Fphoto-19598707A-2RM.jpg

John W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169
Like?

mdb1986 wrote:

I have a X-E1 for about a week right now that I'm evaluating. I have both the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. It seems OK. But the viewfinder is beyond bad. I mean, you can't read the text on the screen or anything. Looking through it is like trying to look at Mt Rushmore with reading glasses. I mean, it's awful. Perhaps it's just defective? Or maybe there's some setting I'm missing?

Of course, you have adjusted the diopter wheel (left side of viewfinder) to your eyesight?  If so and you can't read the text on the display clearly, then the camera may indeed be faulty.  With the diopter correctly adjusted everything should be clear in the viewfinder.

John W.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do - Isaac Asimov

mdb1986
Like?
In reply to John W., 8 months ago

John W. wrote:

mdb1986 wrote:

I have a X-E1 for about a week right now that I'm evaluating. I have both the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. It seems OK. But the viewfinder is beyond bad. I mean, you can't read the text on the screen or anything. Looking through it is like trying to look at Mt Rushmore with reading glasses. I mean, it's awful. Perhaps it's just defective? Or maybe there's some setting I'm missing?

Of course, you have adjusted the diopter wheel (left side of viewfinder) to your eyesight? If so and you can't read the text on the display clearly, then the camera may indeed be faulty. With the diopter correctly adjusted everything should be clear in the viewfinder.

John W.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do - Isaac Asimov

Problem solved.   You are 100% right.  Thank-you everyone for being so kind to me in helping find the problem.

nonicks
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?

mdb1986 wrote:

John W. wrote:

mdb1986 wrote:

Of course, you have adjusted the diopter wheel (left side of viewfinder) to your eyesight? If so and you can't read the text on the display clearly, then the camera may indeed be faulty. With the diopter correctly adjusted everything should be clear in the viewfinder.

John W.

Problem solved. You are 100% right. Thank-you everyone for being so kind to me in helping find the problem.

No offense but you sounded like you never used diopter or did not know the function of it or you were not aware of the exist of diopter wheel? read user manual should be the first thing to do when you pick up any camera. I could guess what you missed when I read your post. Guess you are an new upgrader from small size digital cameras. Now enjoy the XE1, it is capable to produce extremely beautiful outputs. Have fun.  Welcome to the Fuji-X family.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
mdb1986
Like?
In reply to nonicks, 8 months ago

nonicks wrote:

mdb1986 wrote:

John W. wrote:

mdb1986 wrote:

John W.

Problem solved. You are 100% right. Thank-you everyone for being so kind to me in helping find the problem.

No offense but you sounded like you never used diopter or did not know the function of it or you were not aware of the exist of diopter wheel? read user manual should be the first thing to do when you pick up any camera. I could guess what you missed when I read your post. Guess you are an new upgrader from small size digital cameras. Now enjoy the XE1, it is capable to produce extremely beautiful outputs. Have fun. Welcome to the Fuji-X family.

No offense taken at all.  You are 100% right.  I am an amateur and novice in every sense of the words.  It's good for me to force myself to admit that.  Appreciate the assist.  Very good point.  I had poked around in the manual, but I should have read it end to end before asking anything.

fuji P
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?

Now you've found the dioptre wheel and set up your camera - you will love it!

Focusing speed - agreed -  its not up to a DSLR (if 0.05 of a second is an issue at all) but you have a different product in your hands.

Read the manual cover to cover - go on the Fuji website - read the e-mags and immerse yourself in the Fuji set up.

Welcome to the club.

fuji P's gear list:fuji P's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
debo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,597Gear list
Like?
moved from eos-m+22 to fuji (x-e1+18-55 and 27) ....

I love the colors of Fuji (and the low light performance) compared to the EOS-m (find the Canon look very bright and unnatural). However I do miss the 22/2 lens .... Fuji doesn't have that - you have to buy a used X100 or X100s to get that ... The 23/1.4 is way bulky than the Canon lens and 8 times more expensive (the 22/2 can be had for about 100 bucks)

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
fuji P
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
Re: moved from eos-m+22 to fuji (x-e1+18-55 and 27) ....
In reply to debo, 8 months ago

What`s wrong with the 18mm F2 ??

fuji P's gear list:fuji P's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
stillman3
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: X-E1 - some suggestions

One important thing to note when using the X-E1 is to set the power off. It is very easy to toggle the On/Off switch when putting the camera into a bag. (Set up menu 2 setting auto power off -I set it to 2 minutes). This way you won't have a flat battery when you start again. The other dial mthat is easy to shift is the exposure compensation dial. I have to keep checking that. Enjoy your camera

Cheers Eric

mdb1986
Like?

mdb1986 wrote:

Other than that, I'm seeing some pretty slow focus times - especially with the 55-200 - which is ironic, since I'm coming from the EOS M, which was supposed to have the worst AF ever. The pictures certainly seem nice, but the screen isn't close to the M. It's like comparing a 2010 flip phone to the Iphone 5. I can't see a huge difference in image quality under good lighting conditions, but under high ISO, definitely a big difference. Fuji wins no question. Fuji also wins in ability to customize and neat features.

One of the big reasons I wanted to switch from M was that I thought it would become too bulky with the EF/EF-S adapter. Ironically, the M with the adapter and Tamron 18-200 is still smaller and thinner than the X-E1 with 55-200 attached.

I'll admit, perhaps I'm just a hick photography that likes "ketchup of my steak", but thought I would share my thoughts in general when asking about the viewfinder. Of course, something new is always difficult, so I'll give it time and post more once I get out and shoot with it some more.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone. So if you think I'm an incompetent idiot, please say so nicely :).

Again, these are just my observations.  Not meaning to offend anyone.  So I've shot a lot more with the Fuji system.  It takes beautiful photos.  Lenses are very nice as well (albeit very heavy).  But I just feel like I can't compose a photo when I don't know what the colors are going to look like.  A sunset turns more golden when I drop the exposure a bit.  Or, the colors in a flower look so much more vivid - or whatever.  Probably isn't an issue for a more experienced photographer, but is a huge one for me.  I love pretty much everything else about the camera.  I think unfortunately, the Fuji is going back to it's home.  And the worst thing is, there isn't another option I've found for mirrorless when the screens/viewfinders are any better in terms of color reproduction.  I am just confused honestly.  It seems odd to me to sell a $20 screen with a $1000 camera.  The "wow" factor of your average Joe at a camera shop would go up by 10x it seems if the screen looked really and indicated what absolutely stunning photos the Fuji can take.  But, it's likely just me depending on the wrong things when I take pictures.  Again, just my observations - which are worth exactly what you're paying for them - ahem, nothing.

Desierto
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

"Again, these are just my observations. Not meaning to offend anyone. So I've shot a lot more with the Fuji system. It takes beautiful photos. Lenses are very nice as well (albeit very heavy). But I just feel like I can't compose a photo when I don't know what the colors are going to look like. A sunset turns more golden when I drop the exposure a bit. Or, the colors in a flower look so much more vivid - or whatever. Probably isn't an issue for a more experienced photographer, but is a huge one for me. I love pretty much everything else about the camera. I think unfortunately, the Fuji is going back to it's home. And the worst thing is, there isn't another option I've found for mirrorless when the screens/viewfinders are any better in terms of color reproduction. I am just confused honestly. It seems odd to me to sell a $20 screen with a $1000 camera. The "wow" factor of your average Joe at a camera shop would go up by 10x it seems if the screen looked really and indicated what absolutely stunning photos the Fuji can take. But, it's likely just me depending on the wrong things when I take pictures. Again, just my observations - which are worth exactly what you're paying for them - ahem, nothing."

Stick with it, man! You note that you're not an experienced photographer (bravely, I might add), if you "switch" you'll merely move on to difficulties with the new system you choose. I've been shooting for 30 years and really believe the X-E1 (my first Fuji) to be an excellent piece of workmanship.
Pulling or dropping your exposure is an old trick that you'll find with any system you use and is something we all did with film (esp Velvia) for years! You're already learning a thing or two without trying. If you've got you meter set to "MULTI", switch it "AVERAGE". I too have found that the meter especially at "MULTI" tends to overexpose by up to a stop, especially when shooting outside with a big bright sky.
I've come to like mine after a couple of weeks so much that, even though I don't know you, I'd hate to see you give up so easily. If you've got questions, post them here. Dig through the post archive. You'll learn more than you can ever imagine.

mdb1986
Like?
In reply to Desierto, 8 months ago

Desierto wrote:

"Again, these are just my observations. Not meaning to offend anyone. So I've shot a lot more with the Fuji system. It takes beautiful photos. Lenses are very nice as well (albeit very heavy). But I just feel like I can't compose a photo when I don't know what the colors are going to look like. A sunset turns more golden when I drop the exposure a bit. Or, the colors in a flower look so much more vivid - or whatever. Probably isn't an issue for a more experienced photographer, but is a huge one for me. I love pretty much everything else about the camera. I think unfortunately, the Fuji is going back to it's home. And the worst thing is, there isn't another option I've found for mirrorless when the screens/viewfinders are any better in terms of color reproduction. I am just confused honestly. It seems odd to me to sell a $20 screen with a $1000 camera. The "wow" factor of your average Joe at a camera shop would go up by 10x it seems if the screen looked really and indicated what absolutely stunning photos the Fuji can take. But, it's likely just me depending on the wrong things when I take pictures. Again, just my observations - which are worth exactly what you're paying for them - ahem, nothing."

Stick with it, man! You note that you're not an experienced photographer (bravely, I might add), if you "switch" you'll merely move on to difficulties with the new system you choose. I've been shooting for 30 years and really believe the X-E1 (my first Fuji) to be an excellent piece of workmanship.
Pulling or dropping your exposure is an old trick that you'll find with any system you use and is something we all did with film (esp Velvia) for years! You're already learning a thing or two without trying. If you've got you meter set to "MULTI", switch it "AVERAGE". I too have found that the meter especially at "MULTI" tends to overexpose by up to a stop, especially when shooting outside with a big bright sky.
I've come to like mine after a couple of weeks so much that, even though I don't know you, I'd hate to see you give up so easily. If you've got questions, post them here. Dig through the post archive. You'll learn more than you can ever imagine.

Thanks.  So very kind of you.  I always try to start my posts on dpreview with the "I'm an novice idiot" disclaimer at the beginning.  Partially because it's true , partially because admitting you're still learning is probably always good, and partially because it tends to draw kinder more understanding replies from other members.  I currently shoot with an EOS M, and the Fuji was my "test" to see if another piece of equipment would really help all that much.  The answer is yes, it definitely helps, but does it help to the tune of costing 4x more than my entire EOS M system?  I'm not sure I can honestly say yes.  And I'm pretty sure the answer there would be a definite no if I were to spend $1100 on good Canon glass.  I really want a better burst and fast AF for action shots, not having to deal with an adapter like I would on EOS M to get a telezoom.  But I don't know that all that's worth the investment, given that I'm guessing on exposure.  I tried using the AEB with the Fuji, which seems pretty nice, but I hate having to go through my photos and deleting 2 out of every 3.

I wonder if I'm asking for something that just isn't important enough to most photographers so Fuji won't include it.  Just seems like such a low cost upgrade though.  Me calling Fuji wrong is sort of stupid though - they have WAY more experience than little old me.  If I'd started with the Fuji, I probably wouldn't be saying all this.  But oh goodness, do I miss my screen on the M!

MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030Gear list
Like?

nonicks wrote:

mdb1986 wrote:

John W. wrote:

mdb1986 wrote:

John W.

No offense but you sounded like you never used diopter or did not know the function of it or you were not aware of the exist of diopter wheel? read user manual should be the first thing to do when you pick up any camera. I could guess what you missed when I read your post. Guess you are an new upgrader from small size digital cameras. Now enjoy the XE1, it is capable to produce extremely beautiful outputs. Have fun. Welcome to the Fuji-X family.

No offense taken at all.  You are 100% right.  I am an amateur and novice in every sense of the words.  It's good for me to force myself to admit that.  Appreciate the assist.  Very good point.  I had poked around in the manual, but I should have read it end to end before asking anything.

Don't you love those problems that aren't really problems? Glad you got your problem solved. I love my week old XE1. Make good use of the manual, and use the forum and have fun!
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030Gear list
Like?

Oh and have you checked the firmware for the camera and also the lens? Make sure you're running the latest. I had to install both firmware updates.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
stillman3
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

Going out and shooting with other Fuji shooters may help. Can I suggest you start a thread saying you live in XYZ and asking other Fuji shooters in that area if they would be interested in going out and shooting together. That way you can do a brain pick and sort out issues that you perceive.

Good luck with the camera, it is worth perservering with.

Eric

mdb1986
Like?

mdb1986 wrote:

Other than that, I'm seeing some pretty slow focus times - especially with the 55-200 - which is ironic, since I'm coming from the EOS M, which was supposed to have the worst AF ever. The pictures certainly seem nice, but the screen isn't close to the M. It's like comparing a 2010 flip phone to the Iphone 5. I can't see a huge difference in image quality under good lighting conditions, but under high ISO, definitely a big difference. Fuji wins no question. Fuji also wins in ability to customize and neat features.

One of the big reasons I wanted to switch from M was that I thought it would become too bulky with the EF/EF-S adapter. Ironically, the M with the adapter and Tamron 18-200 is still smaller and thinner than the X-E1 with 55-200 attached.

I'll admit, perhaps I'm just a hick photography that likes "ketchup of my steak", but thought I would share my thoughts in general when asking about the viewfinder. Of course, something new is always difficult, so I'll give it time and post more once I get out and shoot with it some more.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone. So if you think I'm an incompetent idiot, please say so nicely :).

I wonder. The X-M1 might be just the ticket? This review makes the screen look really quite nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0FvmiBxfU

I Have a hard time using the viewfinder effectively anyways - as I have glasses.  Not impossible I sure, but pretty hard for me for sure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads