Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Hoshikomoku
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
8 months ago

Dear folks,

I had been a long time SLR since its analog days.

Thinking of selling the DSLR (5DMK2 and L lens).

I'll keep only the Sony NEX and add the Fuji XT-1.

My thoughts for the above setup is due to the bulk and weight when travelling.

Had seen the pics from Fuji System X and it's simply wonderful.

Wouldn't want to add another system as I could shoot with 1 at a time.

Had been shooting more with the NEX 7 recently and the 5DMK2 had been kept in the dry cabinet...

What are your opinions?

 Hoshikomoku's gear list:Hoshikomoku's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Nikon Coolpix 3700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pluton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,286
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

If all you do is travel, then small is king.

Personally, I wouldn't dump my DSLR for the current MIL cameras.

Btw, I've got an XE1 and 2 lenses.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikoj
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

I dumped all of my Nikon FX gear and went Fuji X. No regrets. What is your reason for holding on the the Sont stuff?

 nikoj's gear list:nikoj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,720
Like?
I dumped 5DII
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

I owned 5DII and L primes when I first bought X-Pro1. I really thought that I'd use the X-Pro1 for travel, and personal stuff with the 5DII for more "important" mission critical work. But, my 5DII mostly gathered dust, so I sold it off. I did miss the "speed" of the DSLR once in a while, though. However, with the X-t1, I don't miss the DSLR at all. That, coupled with 56mm 1.2 and I'm golden.

Fuji X-T1, 56mm 1.2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Maximus176
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
Re: I dumped 5DII
In reply to Jeff Seltzer, 8 months ago

My 2 Nikon D3 bodies sit gathering dust. I moved onto the X system with the X100, loved the files, then bought theX pro 1, now added the Xt1 and I feel I can tackle pretty much anything with my kit. The Xt1 has near Dslr performance, which is more than enough for my work. Yes the X system has it's quirks, but on the other hand Fuji deliver regular firmware updates, and a level of support I have found sadly lacking elsewhere.

Nick

 Maximus176's gear list:Maximus176's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Re: I dumped 5DII
In reply to Jeff Seltzer, 8 months ago

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

I owned 5DII and L primes when I first bought X-Pro1. I really thought that I'd use the X-Pro1 for travel, and personal stuff with the 5DII for more "important" mission critical work. But, my 5DII mostly gathered dust, so I sold it off. I did miss the "speed" of the DSLR once in a while, though. However, with the X-t1, I don't miss the DSLR at all. That, coupled with 56mm 1.2 and I'm golden.

Fuji X-T1, 56mm 1.2

Same here,dumped 5D2 for X-E1 and couldn't be happier, though I rarely ever did fast moving subjects.  Better image quality, smaller, weighs much less, and several other advantages.

-- hide signature --

[[[If I am commenting on your X trans photos, I consider it a shame there are a few users out there who say test charts keep them away from X trans, this then encompasses all photos like these, amazing but true.]]]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wcowan
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

Hoshikomoku wrote:

Dear folks,

I had been a long time SLR since its analog days.

Thinking of selling the DSLR (5DMK2 and L lens).

I'll keep only the Sony NEX and add the Fuji XT-1.

My thoughts for the above setup is due to the bulk and weight when travelling.

Had seen the pics from Fuji System X and it's simply wonderful.

Wouldn't want to add another system as I could shoot with 1 at a time.

Had been shooting more with the NEX 7 recently and the 5DMK2 had been kept in the dry cabinet...

What are your opinions?

My opinion is you won't use the NEX 7 after you buy an X-T1.

I sold my FF Nikon and a dozen pro lenses when I moved to the X-T1 and am delighted with the move. I'd been waiting for years for Nikon to release something like the X-T1 and associated lenses. It was Fuji that finally delivered.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

William Cowan
See some of my photos at http://www.radiantphotograph.com

 wcowan's gear list:wcowan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nonicks
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to wcowan, 8 months ago

I dumb all my Canon DSLR and L lenses after I got my XE1 and the 2 lenses and100s, and planning to add XT1 and hopefully replace theXE1 with Xpro2.  I don't think I need any DSLR for now unless I decide to do low light event again.

I owned 5D, 5DII, 7D, 60D, 30D. And many great L lenses (Primes and zooms). I sold them all and never look back.

 nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rjx
rjx
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
Why do you want both the Nex7 and XT1?
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago
 rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do you want both the Nex7 and XT1?
In reply to rjx, 8 months ago

Off topic: I wonder if car forums have the same discussions:

My 2 Mercedes stay in the garage gathering dust. I moved onto the Nissan X-Trail, loved the ride, then bought the Qashqai, now added a Juke and I feel I can now drive anywhere with these cars. The Nissan has near Mercedes performance, which is more than enough for my rides. Yes, Nissan has its quirks, but on the other hand Nissan deliver regular maintenance, and a level of support I have found sadly lacking elsewhere.

I owned BMW when I first bought a Toyota. I really thought that I'd use Toyota to commute with the BMW for travel and fun. But, my BMW mostly gathered dust, so I sold it off. I did miss the "speed" of the BMW once in a while, though. However, with the Toyota, I don't miss the BMW at all. That, coupled with alloy wheels and I'm golden.

I dumped all of my Audi’s and went Suzuki. No regrets. What is your reason for holding on the German stuff?

Same here, dumped Audi for Suzuki and couldn't be happier, though I rarely ever did fast moving driving. Better ride quality, smaller, weighs much less, uses less fuel and several other advantages.

 Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800E
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,665Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

I have been a long-time Nikon user, my latest being a full frame D700. It is superb but big, especially when you factor in a bag of lenses. My answer last year was to buy an Olympus OMD for travelling (ready for a trip to California in May). It was superb! 2 bodies and 4 lenses in a relatively small bag. It couldn't replace the SLR though, only compliment it.

Since then I have bought a Fuji X-E1 and X-T1. This suits me perfectly, so much so that neither the Nikon nor the Olympus has been used much since. I have been selling off the Nikon gear because I no longer feel the need for the weight and bulk, but I have also started selling off some of the Olympus gear because it isn't as nice to use as the Fuji and doesn't offer such an advantage in size and weight as it did to the SLR. There are still a few gaps with Fuji that I will plug with the other systems, but nothing I couldn't work around if I needed to. The main advantages of the Nikon are the flash system and the range of macro lenses (the Fuji 60 is not 1:1, nor is there a choice of focal lengths, but I can use my Nikon fit lenses with an adapter).

For my personal use the Fuji X-T1 is the best digital body ever made.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I dumped 5DII
In reply to Maximus176, 8 months ago

Maximus176 wrote:

My 2 Nikon D3 bodies sit gathering dust. I moved onto the X system with the X100, loved the files, then bought theX pro 1, now added the Xt1 and I feel I can tackle pretty much anything with my kit. The Xt1 has near Dslr performance, which is more than enough for my work. Yes the X system has it's quirks, but on the other hand Fuji deliver regular firmware updates, and a level of support I have found sadly lacking elsewhere.

Nick

I took a look at your blog and those photos in http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com/blog/2014/4/lambing-time-derbyshire-dales are pretty smeary and your white balance seems way out, some look sharp in places but the out of focus rendering is pretty nasty, having used a D3 I know it could have done a much better job

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimbofoxman
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

if it wasn't for my kids being in sports I would have dumped my 7d and lenses already.  I initially didn't go with the X-T1 because of size, it was IQ. But the smaller size for transporting is nice.  I'm putting on a grip to because with my longer fingers it feels too small.

 jimbofoxman's gear list:jimbofoxman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?
Re: Why do you want both the Nex7 and XT1?
In reply to Alxy, 8 months ago

Alxy wrote:

Off topic: I wonder if car forums have the same discussions:

My 2 Mercedes stay in the garage gathering dust. I moved onto the Nissan X-Trail, loved the ride, then bought the Qashqai, now added a Juke and I feel I can now drive anywhere with these cars. The Nissan has near Mercedes performance, which is more than enough for my rides. Yes, Nissan has its quirks, but on the other hand Nissan deliver regular maintenance, and a level of support I have found sadly lacking elsewhere.

I owned BMW when I first bought a Toyota. I really thought that I'd use Toyota to commute with the BMW for travel and fun. But, my BMW mostly gathered dust, so I sold it off. I did miss the "speed" of the BMW once in a while, though. However, with the Toyota, I don't miss the BMW at all. That, coupled with alloy wheels and I'm golden.

I dumped all of my Audi’s and went Suzuki. No regrets. What is your reason for holding on the German stuff?

Same here, dumped Audi for Suzuki and couldn't be happier, though I rarely ever did fast moving driving. Better ride quality, smaller, weighs much less, uses less fuel and several other advantages.

The 5D2 as the Audi?  Far too generous

-- hide signature --

[[[If I am commenting on your X trans photos, I consider it a shame there are a few users out there who say test charts keep them away from X trans, this then encompasses all photos like these, amazing but true.]]]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,454Gear list
Like?
Canon 5D MK(2) drop in Value every day you hold on to it
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

Hoshikomoku wrote:

Dear folks, I had been a long time SLR since its analog days. Thinking of selling the DSLR (5DMK2 and L lens). I'll keep only the Sony NEX and add the Fuji XT-1. My thoughts for the above setup is due to the bulk and weight when travelling.

Been there, done that. I was a long time Canon shooter with several expensive "L" lens I collected over the years. It was kind-of-HARD to let them go, but the TRUTH is that my DSLR gears gave been sitting @home collecting dust ever since I bought myself a mirrorless.

I'm not saying mirrorless is better than DSLR, it isn't.  DSLR still have the performance advantage.  However, I rarely use those advantages:

  • Is it going to kill me if I capture my image fraction of a second later than DSLR.....NO
  • How often do I shoot sports............almost never
  • How often do I shoot people in motion.....rarely, most people pose for photograph anyways
  • How often do I "actually" carrying my big DSLR in a camera bag with 3 lens?....(shameful) I bought a brand new camera bag but it has been sitting prestine @home because I don't enjoying carrying all that bulky gears with me.

So I had a superior camera....sitting @home, with a flawless "L" lens also sitting @home, and a camera bag that never seen the outdoor yet.  What good is a better camera if it just let unused?  What good is a Ferrari if it just sits in a garage?

I had to face "my truth" that I got addicted into GEAR-COLLECTING, and DSLR paved the way.  The funny thing is that I shoot more with my disposable priced mirrorless camera (m43, nex, canon eos-M) than I ever did with my superior DSLR gears.

Unless you're a PRO really need that extra Nth. Degree superiority of DSLR, for most average consumers, any mirrorless camera are more than suffice.

 007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Canon EOS M Nikon D3100 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TORN
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

I used quite some mirrorless over the last two years from Nex-7 over E-M5 to X-E1/T1 (which I returned). All said and done each of those has been a compromise in one way or the other compared to my 9 year old 5D. Sure a 5D comes in with 500g more weight but compensates with quick, reliable and ergonomic handling - something I miss most with the small mirrorless (yet). Funny enough everybody compares a tiny ML setup with a fully loaded DSLR setup even though this is no apples to apples comparison.

In my case I go leight with my 5D as well. 17-40, 35IS and 85 1.8. With a Fuji to be able to produce about the same results this requires $3k of lenses with 10-24, 23, 56. None of them essentially smaller than their counterpart. So what is in there? Same carrying bag, 1kg in weight saved, lots of $ investment, no time proven equipment, lack in handling, xtrans hassle in Lightroom and no other results than before.

Don't get me wrong I use my E1 more often than my Canon nowadays. I only baught 14&35&18-55 and no other of the expensive lenses. This is fine for my traveling needs. But when I call for quick and reliable it is still my DSLR.

Talking about size and leaving at home: Let's just say in this respect my Canon M with 22mm pancake is to my Fuji what the Fuji is to my 5D. Everything is a compromise. You have to find yours.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,565Gear list
Like?
I want to kep my canon system
In reply to Hoshikomoku, 8 months ago

7D is heavy and big ...

I travel with X-E1 ,  but it can not do everything !  Action, BIF, flash systems....

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

 KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
Re: I want to kep my canon system
In reply to KariP, 8 months ago

So I must be the only one loving my Nikon FF system. I've had the X-T1 now for a few weeks and I'm still learning but there is no way it can replace my Nikon bodies. The Fuji is great for travelling light but the AF, although good, is still not at Nikon's speed or accuracy. Fuji also needs a better lighting system.

I was out last weekend casually shooting with the Fuji and I could not manage with gloves on. It was cold and gloves were needed. Slipping the on and off was just a task in it self.

The Fuji's IQ is up there and it's great for a compact system but thats all it is for me.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

 Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion on abandoning DSLR for System X
In reply to TORN, 8 months ago

TORN wrote:

I used quite some mirrorless over the last two years from Nex-7 over E-M5 to X-E1/T1 (which I returned). All said and done each of those has been a compromise in one way or the other compared to my 9 year old 5D. Sure a 5D comes in with 500g more weight but compensates with quick, reliable and ergonomic handling - something I miss most with the small mirrorless (yet). Funny enough everybody compares a tiny ML setup with a fully loaded DSLR setup even though this is no apples to apples comparison.

In my case I go leight with my 5D as well. 17-40, 35IS and 85 1.8. With a Fuji to be able to produce about the same results this requires $3k of lenses with 10-24, 23, 56. None of them essentially smaller than their counterpart. So what is in there? Same carrying bag, 1kg in weight saved, lots of $ investment, no time proven equipment, lack in handling, xtrans hassle in Lightroom and no other results than before.

Don't get me wrong I use my E1 more often than my Canon nowadays. I only baught 14&35&18-55 and no other of the expensive lenses. This is fine for my traveling needs. But when I call for quick and reliable it is still my DSLR.

Talking about size and leaving at home: Let's just say in this respect my Canon M with 22mm pancake is to my Fuji what the Fuji is to my 5D. Everything is a compromise. You have to find yours.

If I may summarize what you are saying - you like Canon 5D more and 1Kg less in weight is not enough to compromise.

But I, as some others, like Fuji X system more than Canon. So for me using Fuji is a compromise of the image quality and speed vs Canon, but using Canon would be a compromise of handling.

I like to use Live View and articulated screen of X-T1. I like to see on the screen and in the viewfinder the exact results of the exposure.

And the difference of half Kg is actually a lot, but not  in the bag - it is on my neck or in my hand. 5Dm3 is 900g by its own, X-T1 with lens is 700g.

I would not mind to carry more Kgs, but the thing is that I am not making that many photos and to carry extra weight for a few pictures a day is not worth it for me.

 Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800E
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,739Gear list
Like?
Re: I want to kep my canon system
In reply to Red G8R, 8 months ago

I had a D800e and I got an XE1 to complement it. I found I started only using the D800e for specialist nightscape shots.

I then got the Sony A7r and this matched the D800e but had the small form factor. I sold the D800e and am happy with that decision.

I added XT1 as I really like my XE1 and XT1 is the current ultimate X camera refinement machine.

Its a beautiful camera, does everything and great IQ. I find XT1 and A7r a nice pair the only issue is they can't share lenses. So got the advantages of full frame and the advantages of fast AF with XT1 and great Fuji lenses.

XT1 and 5D2, in my opinion XT1 would be better at almost everything although 5D2 is a great camera. XT1 is just better in all departments except more flexibility of DOF and blackground blur iwth FF but then Fuji lenses generally are fast 23, 35 1.4 and 56 1.2.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads