X100 lens ring

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
bjzwaan
Contributing MemberPosts: 715
Like?
X100 lens ring
8 months ago

Hi all,

I have difficulty getting the lens ring off from my newly acquired X100. The manual is very poor on how in this aspect and i am seriously afraid to break something. For instance, holding the whole lens unit in my hand.

Any tips on how to do this would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Bas

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 lens ring
In reply to bjzwaan, 8 months ago

I had the same issue.  Get a rubber thing you would remove a tight lid from a jar.  It's all about leverage/grip and not strength.

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe Brush
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?

You can remove the lens ring easily by using the metal lens cap that comes with the camera. It has a soft, grippy surface on the inside.

Regards,   Joe.

clockface
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

Hi all,

I have difficulty getting the lens ring off from my newly acquired X100. The manual is very poor on how in this aspect and i am seriously afraid to break something. For instance, holding the whole lens unit in my hand.

Any tips on how to do this would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Bas

Do not pinch the ring. Hold the body in one hand and place the lens ring flat in the flat palm of the other hand. Turn.

Savas Kyprianides
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,396
Like?

If you think that's tough, wait till you try removing the ring from a filter. I had the ring on a filter with its glass knocked out like David Hobby advocates. Then I tried taking it apart. Did it, but whoa! A lot of work.

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Joe Brush, 8 months ago

Joe Brush wrote:

You can remove the lens ring easily by using the metal lens cap that comes with the camera. It has a soft, grippy surface on the inside.

Regards, Joe.

-- hide signature --

This is a good way to do it. The main thing is to not grip the side of the ring as that just compresses it, making it harder to turn. Sometimes a lighter touch actually works better.

bjzwaan
Contributing MemberPosts: 715
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 8 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

Joe Brush wrote:

Regards, Joe.

-- hide signature --

This is a good way to do it. The main thing is to not grip the side of the ring as that just compresses it, making it harder to turn. Sometimes a lighter touch actually works better.

I did it! indeed not much force, and all of a sudden it turned, yeah1

A weird system I must say, but reviews said that the x100 had its quirks

Anyway, another thing that surprised me is that with the adapter ring and the protection filter on that came with the black LE version, the half case just barely can be put over the lens front. How are other X100 owners use their half cases?

Cheers,

bas

clockface
Like?

mr moonlight wrote:

Joe Brush wrote:

Regards, Joe.

-- hide signature --

Anyway, another thing that surprised me is that with the adapter ring and the protection filter on that came with the black LE version, the half case just barely can be put over the lens front. How are other X100 owners use their half cases?

Cheers,

bas

Removing the ring by placing it onto a flat palm works equally as well. It's the equal application of the turning force that does it rather than pinching or squeezing the ring using a finger grip. I wouldn't call it a Fuji problem it's a physical attribute of a removable flexible slim screwed ring.

I have an adaptor with a slim B+W and yes the top half of the case isn't a snug fit but it does the job. The gap is only a few millimetres, hardly noticeable.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?

bjzwaan wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Joe Brush wrote:

Regards, Joe.

-- hide signature --

That is not a quirk. It was designed that way. It could not be easier.

I put those on, took them off and put them back in the box. Never have used the hood. Probably never will.  I have not had a picture ruined by lack of hood. If the case fit with the hood, I might use it just because it is there.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

mlmusto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 lens ring try CROCS
In reply to Savas Kyprianides, 8 months ago

I installed the adapter ring a__-backwards initially and could not get it off.  took it to local shop, LOOKING GLASS PHOTO, nice woman behind the counter took 1 look, took off her CROCS, jammed the two together, gave a twist of the wrist, and voila!

this after 3 males elsewhere (4 if you add me!) could not even figure out how to approach the task.

-- hide signature --
 mlmusto's gear list:mlmusto's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M
Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,385Gear list
Like?
Now you've go it off

The next thing is not to lose it!   As far as I'm aware, they cannot be purchased as a spare part.  I do use the adapter, filters, hood and WCL converter...and have decided to keep the ring permanently off and safely stored.

-- hide signature --
 Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +6 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Like?

follow carefully the manual it's stiff and rather difficult

A²trick put the X 100 on a cloth the lens facing you in order not to strectch the body

then press progressevily the ring downward²to release the thread and start turn the ring anti clock wise that shoyuld doit §

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
clockface
Like?
In reply to baobob, 8 months ago

It's neither stiff or difficult if you apply even force all around the ring. You will be surprised how easily it unscrews.

Hold the camera with one hand.
Present the lens, with ring attached, to your other hand (to a flat dry palm).
Twist the camera.
Do not pinch any part of the ring with fingers.
Allow the friction of your dry flat palm to exert its force against the whole ring.
It will unscrew, with the bare minimum of applied force.

It isn't a Fuji quirk., or a design flaw; it's physics.

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?
In reply to clockface, 8 months ago

clockface wrote:

It's neither stiff or difficult if you apply even force all around the ring. You will be surprised how easily it unscrews.

Twist the camera.
Allow the friction of your dry flat palm to exert its force against the whole ring.

Why is it so hard to understand that Fuji designed the lens cap as a tool to remove the ring?

Perhaps some do not want to admit they have lost he lens cap.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

clockface
Like?
In reply to pavi1, 8 months ago

pavi1 wrote:

clockface wrote:

Twist the camera.

Why is it so hard to understand that Fuji designed the lens cap as a tool to remove the ring?

Perhaps some do not want to admit they have lost he lens cap.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Yes, I forgot to mention, to apply even force the lens cap works equally as well as a dry flat palm. The benefit of a dry flat palm is of course that you don't need to find the lens cap.

It's all a bic academic to me as since removing the lens ring (with the aid of my flat dry palm) i've never put it back on. Likewise the lens cap is also stored unused in the original box.

So that what the lens cap was designed for, and me thinking it was a lens cap. Strange no mention of this alternative design function in the manual. Still I suppose if it works and you don't happen to have a dry flat palm available then yes, good spot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads