Switching from D7100 to D600 for $140, worth it?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
rexet
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Switching from D7100 to D600 for $140, worth it?
8 months ago

Hi all,

I'm currently equiped with a great D7100 that I really enjoy daily.

I have the opportunity to sell it and get a second-hand D600 by adding $140 "only".

The main reasons I'm willing to make the switch are:

- I just have 2 prime lens today, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G FX. Since I plan to bought more lenses I have the feeling it will be a better move to invest directly in FX ones instead of changing them all when I will make the switch to FX.

- My main photography activities are indoor shots (parties with friends, family meeting, new born babies, etc.) and I know that the better ISO of D600 will be a powerfull benefits for that usage.

Do you think it would be a good move? Should I'll wait for the next FX generation (I kind of lack the D7100 AF system on the D600).

Thank you for your smart advise.

R.

rexet's gear list:rexet's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +3 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
9ck
9ck
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Re: Switching from D7100 to D600 for $140, worth it?
In reply to rexet, 8 months ago

rexet wrote:

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to sell it and get a second-hand D600 by adding $140 "only".

- I just have 2 prime lens today, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX and a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G FX. Since I plan to bought more lenses I have the feeling it will be a better move to invest directly in FX ones instead of changing them all when I will make the switch to FX.

- My main photography activities are indoor shots (parties with friends, family meeting, new born babies, etc.) and I know that the better ISO of D600 will be a powerfull benefits for that usage.

Do you think it would be a good move? Should I'll wait for the next FX generation (I kind of lack the D7100 AF system on the D600).

R.

Hi R!
I recently upgraded from D7100 to D610. My experience is as everyone will tell you - the cost of the body is small compared to the costs connected with upgrading your lenses. Of course you could upgrade and just settle for a few primes. If you upgrade you could get the very inexpensive 50mm 1.8G that will do what your 35mm 1.8 DX does today. But you "really enjoy" your D7100 so unless you really miss something why the upgrade? The ISO performance of the D600 is marginally better that the D7100 (1 - 2 stops) so be carefull not to expect too much here. The real difference is the dynamic range, depth of field IMO.

Concerning the D600. Has the previous owner experienced spots on the censor? Has the shutter been exchanged at Nikon? And yes - if you upgrade you need to accept not having that very nice 51-point AF system that the D7100 comes with (I'm really missing this in my D610 - and this could actually push me back to the D7100). For kids and familly events the AF of the D7100 is more snappy than the AF-system in the D610.

Don't wait for the next generation - evolution will not stop and I wouldn't bet my money on that the D620 or D??? will have a 51 point AF system ( not long ago I was asking about if it was the right timing to get the 24-70mm so it's always easy to be the one who answers the questions )

-- hide signature --

Regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
9ck
9ck
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
In reply to 9ck, 8 months ago

...push me "back" or "up" to the D800 :-). But certainly not right know I think I've pushed my budget a bit over the top lately

-- hide signature --

Regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

rexet wrote:

Hi all,

R.

For what you shoot I won't even think twice about it. I own D800 and D7100 and used to own D600. ISO alone is enough to switch. I enjoy shooting with my D7100 but I can't imagine having it as my main body if I shoot mostly indoors.

D7100 is too noisy for me but it wins on AF but D600 is no slouch.

rexet
Like?
In reply to amobi, 8 months ago

Thank you guys for your help.

I try to tell myself that I don't need the advanced AF system of my D7100 for my shooting activities. It is just kind of weird to add money and loose some features.

Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +3 more
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?

I have both the D600 and the D7100 and both will do just fine for your type of shooting...

However, since I have both, I would invariably use the D600 for its extra dynamic range (DR) and better higher ISO performance in low light. For example, The D600 ISO noise at 1600 is about the same as ISO 600-800 on the D7100, so you can shoot an extra stop slower for the same results on the D600.

A previous poster is right, FX lenses are expensive... but they are also usually the best and will work fine on any future DX cameras and not the other way round (in most cases).

For mine, the real advantage to you in FX over DX could be in WA and UWA shooting. There are more and better options in shooting wide on FX than DX and this counts especially indoors.

On the other hand, I primarily use my DX D7100 because of its superior 1.5X crop factor reach that, for example, effectively makes my 300mm F4 lens into a 450mm F4 lens!

Good luck with a difficult choice!

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
rexet
Like?
In reply to TQGroup, 8 months ago

Thank you very much for your help TQGroup.

I think there is to little difference for my shooting needs to make the switch right now.

I guess I will take my chance by waiting a bit more with my D7100 to make a bigger gap when time will come to switch to FX.

I'll come back in 2015 !

Thank you guys.

amobi
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

rexet wrote:

I think there is to little difference for my shooting needs to make the switch right now.

I guess I will take my chance by waiting a bit more with my D7100 to make a bigger gap when time will come to switch to FX.

I'll come back in 2015 !

Thank you guys.

Can you point me to that deal. I would do the deal for me D7100.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,076Gear list
Like?

The only reason I moved from DX to FX was for better high ISO performance.  That said, I don't know if there are particular advantages to either of the sensors involved here.  If they are 'same generation', I'd expect the FX camera to have a good 1 stop advantage over the DX sensor.   For me, it would be worth it.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
rexet
Like?
In reply to amobi, 8 months ago

amobi wrote:

rexet wrote:

I'll come back in 2015 !

Thank you guys.

Can you point me to that deal. I would do the deal for me D7100.

Sorry it is not a shop deal or anything like that. It is just the difference between the price I could sell my D7100 to buy a second hand D600 on the french market. Because of the dust issue the D600 price has never been that low on the second hand market.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,737Gear list
Like?
Re: Short answer - no

You are in Paris so you should have a 2 year Nikon warranty running on your D7100 - and maybe none if you buy a D600 private.

The D7100 has superior AF and no image quality difference to 1600 ISO. You would have to sell and replace a DX lens with an FX lens with a cost to at least double the trade difference.

You are very happy with your D7100.

I do not see any good reason to switch from bought new to buying second hand and spending money for no obvious gain.

Overall I rate the D7100 as better than the D600/610 in much the same way as I regard the D800 as overall better than any of the 3 cameras.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
rexet
Like?
Re: Short answer - no
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 8 months ago

Thank you Leo for you inputs.

I have to agree with your statement. For just gaining one stop I could run into dust trouble, warranty issue, AF lacks, etc. The gap is not important enough for me to make the switch to a D600, I'm convinced now. The D800 would be a real nice upgrade in the near future.

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,486
Like?

You have provided no reason for making the switch. I can shoot as ISO 6400 with my D7100 and get comparable results at that setting to my D3 and D800e cameras. I do not need anything more than ISO 6400 for anything. I can shoot at f2.8 by candlelight with that ISO setting. Any less light and the camera is not going to focus.

I had a complete set of DX lenses and FX lenses and DX and FX cameras. Last year I sold all my DX lenses and now I regret doing so. When traveling I can save 4-5 lbs. of weight by using a DX camera and DX lenses which is a lot of weight to save and the DX kit is a lot more compact - compare the size of the 10-24mm lens with that of the 14-24mm lens.

$140 is not even the tip of the iceberg. The cost of the 14-24mm and 24-70mm lenses is over $3500. Even getting the 18-35mm and the 24-120mm will cost over $2,000.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads