Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,784Gear list
Like?
Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
3 months ago

I cancelled my order for the 56mm and Rokinon 12mm and bought the 10-24 and picked up the 60mm while it was still on sale instead. I'm much more of a wide guy than portrait guy, no Fuji lens is likely to supplant my Olympus 75mm as my primary candid portrait lens, and the 60 will more than do as a secondary portrait lens, as well as having some macro function. The 56 looks beautiful but f1.2 is likely gonna be too narrow for me on a lens of that length and the AF on the 60 is actually pretty decent on the XE2 and XT1. I'd used it before with the X-Pro and XE1 and hated it - now it's pretty useable - I did some test portraits of my wife in low light last night and it came through really well. Anyway, took both of these lenses out to catch the sunrise this morning at a local preserve.

I'm really liking having the film emulations in Lightroom - I can shoot all raw now, the workflow is much smoother...  Sorry, Flickr was crazy slow this morning, so I just posted them at 1024 - I think you can click through to the original if you want to see them larger...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Lovely captures but the images do look over processed. That's the problem I find with film simulations - they just look like digital overlayed with filter effects rather then the originals shot on 35mm film.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Apsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Nice set of images, they do not look overprocessed at all. look great.

Alan

-- hide signature --

Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Nice set, Ray!  Sure they look PP'd, but that's not a bad thing in any way as long as the final result is good, as it is here.

I especially like #4.  That's sight we see here very often, but it's remarkably difficult to get a well composed image of the buggers.  Yours is perfect!

Regards,

Greg

 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,784Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to jennajenna, 3 months ago

jennajenna wrote:

Lovely captures but the images do look over processed. That's the problem I find with film simulations - they just look like digital overlayed with filter effects rather then the originals shot on 35mm film.

They're processed beyond the film simulations. Some of them didn't use the film simulations at all. No problem if you don't like my processing, but don't blame Fuji's film emulations. That's me and Nik Color Efex Pro - not Velvia or Astia!

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EricWN
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Nice set of images, although I second the comment on over-processing. To me, no 3 and 4 looks a bit too tweaked, but that's just a question of preference.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyip0
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Nice pictures!

I just placed an order for Rokinon 12mm. Any specific reason why you went with 10-24 instead of Rokinon 12mm? I was considering 10-24 before but it is just out of my budget for now.

Thanks!

 cyip0's gear list:cyip0's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,784Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to cyip0, 3 months ago

cyip0 wrote:

Nice pictures!

I just placed an order for Rokinon 12mm. Any specific reason why you went with 10-24 instead of Rokinon 12mm? I was considering 10-24 before but it is just out of my budget for now.

Thanks!

I just wanted the width and versatility. I had orders in for the 56mm ($999) and Rokinon 12 ($399). But being much more of a wide angle shooter than portrait shooter, I decided I'd be better served by the 10-24 ($999) and 60 ($399 - I got it just before the sale ended). The Rokinon looks really nice and is a great deal, but the difference between 12mm and 10mm is pretty significant and I'll use the extra width - already have... Whereas the extra speed of the 56 over the 60 (both aperture and AF speed) is something that wouldn't matter much to me...

The 10-24 is pretty big though - that's it's one downside. But it's not too bad...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660
Like?
Any reason for stripping the EXIF ?
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Just curious.

Looks a lot like the countryside near me on the East coast of England - gentle rolling hills and still bare trees. Where were these taken ?

Little over the top for me, but then I guess you weren't trying to please me

Nick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,784Gear list
Like?
Re: Any reason for stripping the EXIF ?
In reply to nick_webster, 3 months ago

nick_webster wrote:

Just curious.

Looks a lot like the countryside near me on the East coast of England - gentle rolling hills and still bare trees. Where were these taken ?

Little over the top for me, but then I guess you weren't trying to please me

I didn't actually strip the EXIF - it's there on Flickr, but when you link to anything other than a full size image on Flickr, the EXIF doesn't carry through to the DPR links. If you only upload smaller images to Flickr, then the EXIF will come through, but you have to link to the largest size on Flickr for it to come through for some reason.

These were taken in Southeastern Pennsylvania in the US, about 30-40 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

My processing is a little over the top for a lot of people, and a LOT over the top for plenty of others. But some seem to like it and I seem to because I always seem to end up there to one degree or another... 

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyip0
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: Sunrise with the 10-24 and 60
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Ray, thanks for the note.

I'll play around with the Samyang/Rokinon for now and see if this lens does not fit me. I have the 60mm and it's really a great lens. I bought it at the discounted price as well. This lens is very good in my opinion. I also have the 35mm which is pretty good for portrait and wider aperture.

 cyip0's gear list:cyip0's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herbieo
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Re: Any reason for stripping the EXIF ?
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Ray Sachs wrote:

nick_webster wrote:

Just curious.

Looks a lot like the countryside near me on the East coast of England - gentle rolling hills and still bare trees. Where were these taken ?

Little over the top for me, but then I guess you weren't trying to please me

I didn't actually strip the EXIF - it's there on Flickr, but when you link to anything other than a full size image on Flickr, the EXIF doesn't carry through to the DPR links. If you only upload smaller images to Flickr, then the EXIF will come through, but you have to link to the largest size on Flickr for it to come through for some reason.

These were taken in Southeastern Pennsylvania in the US, about 30-40 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

My processing is a little over the top for a lot of people, and a LOT over the top for plenty of others. But some seem to like it and I seem to because I always seem to end up there to one degree or another...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

I really like your photos and your style of processing. I will second a previous comment that this looks like England!

Thanks for sharing

 Herbieo's gear list:Herbieo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads