Loud shutter sound of Sony A7 series

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
terrylau
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
Loud shutter sound of Sony A7 series
8 months ago

I have played with Sony A7 and A7r in Sony shop . As much as I like the cameras , I find  the shutter sound too loud and give vibrations that could impact on the slowest shutter speed that can be used to give  a steady picture .  Since there is no mirror to give a mirror slap ,wonder why a quieter shutter design as that on A77  ? Sony A7 do have an electronic first curtain so is quieter than A7R but still loud .

Any ideas ?

terrylau

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Overmars
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Re: Loud shutter sound of Sony A7 series
In reply to terrylau, 8 months ago

I have an A7. It's no louder than a Nex, the Alpha 580 or my 24 year old Pentax P30. I have no idea where this 'loud' idea comes from.

But as it bothers you I would recommend a different system.

Overmars's gear list:Overmars's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?

terrylau wrote:

I have played with Sony A7 and A7r in Sony shop . As much as I like the cameras , I find the shutter sound too loud and give vibrations that could impact on the slowest shutter speed that can be used to give a steady picture . Since there is no mirror to give a mirror slap ,wonder why a quieter shutter design as that on A77 ? Sony A7 do have an electronic first curtain so is quieter than A7R but still loud .

Any ideas ?

terrylau

Get an RX1? X100?

Leaf shutters can be very quiet, but the actuation of the focal plane shutters makes for a noticeable sound, especially if 1/8000s is to be achieved.

Smaller format cameras, such as the APS-C A77, have smaller focal plane shutters, so the sound is less, but still noticeable. In addition, a DSLR body, such as the APS-C A77, can muffle the sound more, as the interior chamber gets larger.

Sony and other mfgrs could device active noise suppression, meaning that the camera sends out the inverse sound to 'cancel' the sound, but this may not always work in practice, and many photographers like to 'hear' the click of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
cute idea, but
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

The inverse click sound idea may not be at all practical (maybe someone more knowledgeable knows) for the simple reason that the sound generated by the shutter is something that emanates from the entire body of the camera, and the inverse sound you propose would have to emanate from a speaker.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?
Re: cute idea, but
In reply to tesilab, 8 months ago

tesilab wrote:

The inverse click sound idea may not be at all practical (maybe someone more knowledgeable knows) for the simple reason that the sound generated by the shutter is something that emanates from the entire body of the camera, and the inverse sound you propose would have to emanate from a speaker.

It works in my car, and rather well, I must say.

The interior sound cancellation is done through speakers, whereas the ambient sounds come from everywhere...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

If it is too loud for your shooting then you probably shouldn't buy it.

It is not as loud as the Olympus E-PL3 I had.

I find the sound of it addicting and it reminds me of my film camera shutters, but that's just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Dave

tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
The car is totally different, in fact the reverse.
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

You are sitting inside the car. Who is the suppression of the camera sound intended for? You?

A shutter sound you want to mitigate impacts people in all directions.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?

Just give it time. You'll eventually get used to it. Maybe even come to like it.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?

Ideas? Yes.

1. The A7 has electronic first curtain shutter, so it's about half as loud as the A7R and does not have any potential for IQ issues from shutter vibration.

2. This topic has been discussed ad nauseaum here.

3. If even the A7 is too loud for you, then it's not the right camera for you. Every camera has trade-offs (size, price, IQ, native lens availability, AF speed, ability to use legacy lenses, stealth mode, etc). Sounds like stealthiness is one of your must-haves... you need to figure out which items you're OK dropping instead.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Mediahound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,617
Like?

I just pretend I"m shooting medium format.

It's no louder than most all medium format cameras I've shot with.

If you want to hear a loud shutter, try shooting a Hasselblad.

Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,395
Like?
In reply to Mediahound, 8 months ago

It is loud but I have always had a small camera for silent shooting in museums and places you don't want noise. come and live in Tel Aviv as it is so noisy the camera doesn't seem to disturb anyone. I am more disturbed by not having the tactile feel of half press in my a7r.

-- hide signature --

fredyr

JimKasson
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?

Mediahound wrote:

I have an H2D-39, and find the shutters (they're in the lenses, not the body) very quiet. It's quite another story with the mirror, though.

-- hide signature --
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?

I love the double "whump" of a Hasselblad 500C - there is no better sound in my opinion  The leaf shutters on the Hasselblad C and CF lenses are near silent - all the noise comes from the auxiliary (rear) curtains and the mirror. I think the noise is actually from the massive amount of air displaced as the curtains open and mirror moves up before the exposure and then the curtains close after the exposure is complete.  On the other hand - the HB2000 series (and maybe 200 series) with the huge focal plane shutters are just plain loud.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Jeff2013
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to JimKasson, 8 months ago

When I unboxed my A7R and heard the shutter, I was so appalled by the sound that I almost re-boxed it, on the spot, to ship it back.  The funny thing is, I have grown to actually like it.  I'm glad I kept the camera!

The shutter that really annoys me is my D800E.  Now that shutter is loud and not very pleasant sounding.  I have never gotten used to it.  I guess that is the price one pays for full-frame with 36MP; and in the case of the A7R, continuous Live View.  With the great image quality I get, I can live with these sounds.  If I want quiet, I just use my RX1R.

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810
JimKasson
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff2013, 8 months ago

Jeff2013 wrote:

When I unboxed my A7R and heard the shutter, I was so appalled by the sound that I almost re-boxed it, on the spot, to ship it back. The funny thing is, I have grown to actually like it. I'm glad I kept the camera!

The shutter that really annoys me is my D800E. Now that shutter is loud and not very pleasant sounding. I have never gotten used to it. I guess that is the price one pays for full-frame with 36MP; and in the case of the A7R, continuous Live View. With the great image quality I get, I can live with these sounds. If I want quiet, I just use my RX1R.

I am now completely accustomed to the sound of the a7 and a7R shutter. My current set of a7R subjects are fire trunks, and they seem to be completely insensible to the sound.

OTOH, I agree that the RX1 shutter is a marvel!

Jim

-- hide signature --
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,639Gear list
Like?
A7 shutter sound is not loud, its long

terrylau wrote:

I have played with Sony A7 and A7r in Sony shop . As much as I like the cameras , I find the shutter sound too loud and give vibrations that could impact on the slowest shutter speed that can be used to give a steady picture . Since there is no mirror to give a mirror slap ,wonder why a quieter shutter design as that on A77 ? Sony A7 do have an electronic first curtain so is quieter than A7R but still loud .

Any ideas ?

terrylau

It is no louder than many cameras....with EFC turned off, the double noise is just longer not louder.

I always have EFC on though so only get the one shorter sound.

Compared to my GX7 it may be a little louder though not enough to matter.....though the GX7 does have a silent shutter mode that is nice but limits things.

GX7 can vary the sound as well (but does not seem to make much difference anyway).

A7 shutter noise is fine by me.....maybe would not use it as a guest in a church at a silent moment....but that is the same with most cameras without a completely silent shutter.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +18 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,733Gear list
Like?
In reply to Overmars, 8 months ago

Overmars wrote:

I have an A7. It's no louder than a Nex, the Alpha 580 or my 24 year old Pentax P30. I have no idea where this 'loud' idea comes from.

But as it bothers you I would recommend a different system.

I disagree, the A7 and especially the A7r are louder than all NEX-cameras except the original NEX-3 and 5 models, which did not have the EFCS  (electronic first curtain shutter.)

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
terrylau
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
Re: A7 shutter sound is not loud, its long
In reply to neil holmes, 8 months ago

neil holmes wrote:

terrylau wrote:

Any ideas ?

terrylau

It is no louder than many cameras....with EFC turned off, the double noise is just longer not louder.

I always have EFC on though so only get the one shorter sound.

Compared to my GX7 it may be a little louder though not enough to matter.....though the GX7 does have a silent shutter mode that is nice but limits things.

GX7 can vary the sound as well (but does not seem to make much difference anyway).

A7 shutter noise is fine by me.....maybe would not use it as a guest in a church at a silent moment....but that is the same with most cameras without a completely silent shutter.

It is not so much the noise but the heavier shutter vibration that concerns me . This  means a higher shutter speed need to be used to achieve a  steady picture especially for A7R which have a 36Mp sensor .

With A77 I am able to get a steady picture as low as 1/6 hand held . I am sure A7 and A7R cannot do this especially when  they dont have in body image stablisation .

this subject been discussed elsewhere

terrylau

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,733Gear list
Like?

I do that a lot. It really depends a lot on how steady you are.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Mediahound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,617
Like?

It doesn't seem like the vibration is any more than a DSLR with a mirror to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads