S5 IS replacement

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
NG540
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
S5 IS replacement
8 months ago

Hello all,

I am new to the site, but I have been lurking for a few weeks looking for information about the current PowerShot range from Canon. I will be heading to Europe in May, and am looking for a newer camera (preferably Canon) to replace my seven year old S5 IS (which has been a great camera so far). Most importantly, I'm looking for something smaller. I've done a bit of looking around to see what's available, and I've been drawn to the S120 and G1X mk2.

The S120 would probably be a lot more pocketable than the G1X mk2, but from what I've seen and read, the low light performance from the comparatively large-sensored G1X mk2 is much better, which is another aspect I'm looking for in a new camera. I obviously just shoot JPEG right now, but I'm definitely interested in trying out RAW post processing.

Realistically, both of these cameras should be miles ahead of the S5 IS in every category besides zoom range, but how much better should I be expecting out of them with regard to low light performance and overall IQ versus the S5 IS? And between the S120 and G1X mk2, considering the price difference?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

NG540's gear list:NG540's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G1 X II
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot S5 IS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?
Re: S5 IS replacement
In reply to NG540, 8 months ago

You should also consider Powershot G15/G16 and maybe upcoming G18 as middle station between S and G1X cameras. For general purpose, those are just a tad better. For low light, fun and serious photos, those are miles ahead. If you really want to shoot seriously, I´d sacrifice that need of weight and considered G1X II or even small MILC/DSLR. The reward in image quality and capabilities is HUGE. If you´d like to have just better gear, I´d consider Powershot G16 or Olympus XZ-2. Very good cams and still about being pocketable (big pockets).

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rob Bernhard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847
Like?

The G1X Mark II is a significant camera for significant money.  The lens offers a much better aperture range through the zoom.   The S120 significantly smaller.  Turned off, the S120 is almost the size of just lens on the G1X Mark II.

So, this is really a question of: how small a camera do you really need?  What compromises are you willing to make to get to that size?  And what is your budget?

NG540
Like?
In reply to Rob Bernhard, 8 months ago

Rob Bernhard wrote:

The G1X Mark II is a significant camera for significant money. The lens offers a much better aperture range through the zoom. The S120 significantly smaller. Turned off, the S120 is almost the size of just lens on the G1X Mark II.

So, this is really a question of: how small a camera do you really need? What compromises are you willing to make to get to that size? And what is your budget?

For budget, the G1X mk2 is probably as much as I'd be willing to spend. So, we're looking at the $800 range. I've looked at the Sony RX100, and while it's definitely smaller than the G1X mk2, I wasn't a fan of the interface.

I really don't need a camera that is tiny, just something that's a bit more manageable than the S5 IS that I currently have. If it can fit in a pants pocket, then that would be ideal, but I'd be willing to compromise for something larger as long as it fits in a coat pocket. I know the S120 will fit in a pocket, but without seeing so much of the G1X mk2 in reviews at this point, I'm unsure of exactly how large it is.

Thanks!

Nick

Rob Bernhard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847
Like?

[[I'm unsure of exactly how large it is.]]

Camera Size to the rescue!

http://camerasize.com/compare/

Here's a comparison between the S120 and the G1X Mark II:

http://j.mp/1kLIf03#sthash.w8m123ML.dpuf

If you've not used the site before, you have to click on the (1) and (2) tabs on the left and change the orientation for each camera. The top-down view on both is how I made the guesstimate on the size of the S120 compared to the size of the lens on the G1X Mark II.

NG540
Like?
In reply to Rob Bernhard, 8 months ago

Thanks for the website! That is a huge help with visualizing the size--which is actually a bit smaller than I originally thought.

After a bit more thinking, I ordered the G1X mk2 and it should be here this Friday. The true test will be how it feels in the hands and whether my pockets can accommodate it. I'm really looking for good low-light performance, so it seemed silly not to get the camera with the much larger sensor even though the body is more than twice the size. My S5 IS is limited to around ISO400 before the noise in the pictures get too distracting.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll be sure to share my opinion of the G1X mk2 after I've messed around with it a bit!

Nick

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,171Gear list
Like?

Probably a good choice for Europe.  I'd also consider taking the S5IS for those times when you need a longer focal length, as it's about 3x the maximum of the G1X.  Plus, you have a backup if something happens to the G1X.  On significant trips, I always take at least two cameras to get a wider range of capability and to have a backup.

The S5IS (I've owned a couple of them) is a very good camera with quite a fast lens (f/2.7-3.5), and the lens is quite good.  Its biggest drawback is the chromatic aberration (CA) in high contrast situations.  Later Canons finally got around to doing automatic in-camera removal of CA with the SX40HS.  Also, you're quite right about ISO 400 being the maximum usable ISO.

If the G1X proves to be too big or heavy, than I'd recommend the G15; but replace the neck strap with a single point attachment neck cord.  It makes the camera a lot easier to pocket and at 12.5 oz. it's light enough that the cord doesn't hurt your neck.  With the neck cord, it does fit nicely in a looser trouser's pocket.  The G15 has a slightly longer lens (140 mm Vs 120)than the G1X, and is also faster at f/2.8.  ISO 800 is quite good, and with the fast lens, you can shoot in available gloom.  The G1X has lower noise by over a stop, so that the lower noise offsets the slower lens.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads