What are Zeiss manual lenses? Looks like they're coming for FE mount

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,611Gear list
Like?
What are Zeiss manual lenses? Looks like they're coming for FE mount
8 months ago

Distagon? I'm not familiar with Zeiss manual lenses. Check out Zeiss team reply dated March 28, 2014, 2:40pm way down this Touit article

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=4834#more-4834

Hope they're working on 85/1.8 AF FE mount too

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
Re: What are Zeiss manual lenses? Looks like they're coming for FE mount
In reply to José B, 8 months ago

Bloody freakin' awesome.

At the moment, we are working also on manual focus lenses for Sony’s full-frame CSC. These lenses will be equipped with an interface to provide EXIF data to the camera. These lenses will be in stores end of 2014. However, we cannot provide any additional details right now.

Best regards,
Your ZEISS Lenses Team

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?

José B wrote:

Check out Zeiss team reply dated March 28, 2014, 2:40pm way down this Touit article

This is sort of old news; they stated in their blog late last year that they are working on manual FE lenses that provide exif to camera. 3 should be announced this year. The AF lenses are gonna have to come from Sony with Zeiss badges on them.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +11 more
Mar
Mar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239Gear list
Like?

Yes since touit line they are telling that they will produce a manual lenses for fe mount and xmount.

It would be nice cause I think with native mount,the size will be practical.

-- hide signature --

Maurizio

Mar's gear list:Mar's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Tuloom
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 8 months ago

tn1krr wrote:

José B wrote:

Check out Zeiss team reply dated March 28, 2014, 2:40pm way down this Touit article

This is sort of old news; they stated in their blog late last year that they are working on manual FE lenses that provide exif to camera. 3 should be announced this year. The AF lenses are gonna have to come from Sony with Zeiss badges on them.

Cool, I recall the rumors back when the FFs were announced, but never did see anything from Zeiss themselves. Still nice to see it confirmed as of a week ago.

José B
Like?

tn1krr wrote:

José B wrote:

This is sort of old news; they stated in their blog late last year that they are working on manual FE lenses that provide exif to camera. 3 should be announced this year. The AF lenses are gonna have to come from Sony with Zeiss badges on them.

Thanks but I didn't see that. So, if that is the case, the 85/1.8 I am waiting for might be a Sonnar Sony-Zeiss and not a Touit. It does not matter to me just as long as it has AF and hopefully with OSS.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?

José B wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

José B wrote:

Thanks but I didn't see that. So, if that is the case, the 85/1.8 I am waiting for might be a Sonnar Sony-Zeiss and not a Touit. It does not matter to me just as long as it has AF and hopefully with OSS.

Here's the old info on this from last year. The latest entry seems to confirm this is on track.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeiss-will-launch-manual-focusing-lenses-for-the-a7-a7r/

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +11 more
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?

Yes, Touit is the name of their first ever Auto Focus lens line but designed specifically for APS-C sensor. Their FE lens will not be Touit but just a regular name of their design, the 85mm will probably be a Planar design.

The way they work is actually very similar to regular lens, the ONLY thing different is the manual focus only. On my Canon its actually a pretty easy function..I have the Planar 85mm and theres no aperture ring, its controlled through the camera, (Nikon vs has it if you want to go that route with adapter) and EXIF is all recorded. The 85mm in particular has a long throw, so its not your perfect walk around lens but better for pre planned shots where you need to precise focus.

If you half press the shutter and then turn the focus ring it will beep just like a regular AF lens when the AF points have the highest contrast, this is called Focus Confirmation.

On Sony I imagine their excellent focus peaking will suffice for these lenses as well.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +2 more
José B
Like?

tn1krr wrote:

José B wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

José B wrote:

Here's the old info on this from last year. The latest entry seems to confirm this is on track.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeiss-will-launch-manual-focusing-lenses-for-the-a7-a7r/

ok cool, thanks.

David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434Gear list
Like?

Distagon is a Zeiss trademark name refering to a particular type of lens design. Retrofocal in this case. Sonnar (triplet based), Planar (double-gauss based) and Biogon (symmetrical wide angle) are other such names.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

Distagon? I'm not familiar with Zeiss manual lenses. Check out Zeiss team reply dated March 28, 2014, 2:40pm way down this Touit article

Cheers,

José

Distagon is a lens design by Zeiss (like Tessar, Sonnar, Planar). It is primarily a DSLR design so I am not sure if it will be used for E-mount.

Within Sony-Zeiss collaboration, note the differences (A-mount followed by E-mount):
Sony DT 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 ZA Vario Sonnar
Sony E 16-70mm f/4 OSS ZA Vario Tessar

Sony 24-70mm/2.8 ZA Vario Sonnar
Sony FE 24-70mm/4 OSS ZA Vario Tessar

Sony 24mm/2 ZA Distagon (FF lens)
Sony E 24mm/1.8 ZA Sonnar

Sony 50mm/1.4 ZA Planar
Sony FE 55mm/1.8 ZA Sonnar

Sony A-mount 85mm/1.4 and 135/1.8 are Planar and Sonnar respectively. If I were to guess, the E-mount version for both will likely be Sonnar (I haven't looked into it but it is said that one of Sony's trio of plastic fantastics, Sony 85mm/2.8, uses Sonnar formula but of course not marketed as a ZA lens for good reasons, including pricing target of about $300).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
The question is: ZE, ZM or new designs?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

What interests me is whether these will be new designs for FE mount.

They could be the DSLR Ze/Zf etc series with a new mount; which would be fine (some lovely lenses) but loses a chance to make them a bit smaller (if that's possible without loss of quality)

They could also be ZM lenses with a new mount. Which is likely less fine, as at least the wide ones will have corner issues.

The best thing would be new designs that get some of the compactness of the ZM series while perhaps being a little less close to the sensor plane and avoiding the resultant problems.

Sadly I think this is least likely: it would be a huge commitment. But we can but hope!

Of course we might get both; say one new design and a few of the old ones remounted...

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
Tuloom
Like?
Re: The question is: ZE, ZM or new designs?
In reply to dbm305, 8 months ago

dbm305 wrote:

They could also be ZM lenses with a new mount. Which is likely less fine, as at least the wide ones will have corner issues.

Zeiss will not do the "Rokinon remount" cha cha cha. I'll bet my pants on it. Would be a bit disappointing. I just hope there the size of the current ZM line.

Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?

I have a Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 T* Planar ZM lens for my NEX 7.  Some (Steve Huff) say this Zeiss is "almost" as good as the Leica 50mm f/2.0 Summicron, but at about 1/3 the price.  It's manual focus and has no stabilization.  But it's FF and very small. With an adapter (M to E mount) it will fit on both APS-C and FF Sonys. Good enough for me!

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +3 more
Tuloom
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 8 months ago

Tuloom wrote:

dbm305 wrote:

Zeiss will not do the "Rokinon remount" cha cha cha. I'll bet my pants on it. Would be a bit disappointing. I just hope there the size of the current ZM line.

May I also randomly say that I absolutely despise this forum's idiotic 30 second (or whatever it is) limit on editing your posts after you reply.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alohaman, 8 months ago

Alohaman wrote:

I have a Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 T* Planar ZM lens for my NEX 7. Some (Steve Huff) say this Zeiss is "almost" as good as the Leica 50mm f/2.0 Summicron, but at about 1/3 the price. It's manual focus and has no stabilization. But it's FF and very small. With an adapter (M to E mount) it will fit on both APS-C and FF Sonys. Good enough for me!

These are expected to be modified ZM mount wide-angle Distagon and Biogon (the most problematic) RF lenses, not the larger ZE or ZF lenses.

During the pre-launch days of the A7, the ray-inclination induced magenta shift issues were noted, and Zeiss recognized that, rather than calling defeat on the WA ZM RF lenses, they would get a better response by announced a modified ZM line-up that would overcome the (digital) sensor issues by pushing the rear exit pupil forward. (It doesn't need that much, but it requires complete lens re-design).

I think that at Zeiss they were patiently watching A7/r sales numbers, customer responses, and appreciation of the $1k ZM RF lenses in this market segment, and that they are now fully committing to seeing these modified ZM lenses mature.

These new lenses will not be as compact as the (WA) ZM lenses, but they will still be much smaller than DSLR optimized lenses (that must clear the mirror box).

By reputation, ZM lenses are spectacular, and would mate well with the A7 series cameras.

There are many lingering questions: ZM lenses are mechanical - will newer lenses be electronically coupled (at least for EXIF and lens information) and if so, will optical correction profiles be included in lens design (and will this hold up for video, even on a tripod). And of-course, would there be an interest in such lenses for APS-C cameras by Sony and other FF mirrorless cameras as they mature?

I have the ZM35/2.0 on the A7. It softens a tad at the edges wide open, and is much worse on the A7r. But the center is spectacular, and stopped down this lens is rather amazing.

I would expect updates for their 15mm to 35mm ZM series:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
prodesma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to Section10, 8 months ago

Manual focus only...  I don't know if I'm the outlier in wishing for a Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro.  For a Sony E-mount could be fairly compact (even if FF compatible?) and lightweight (no motor).  Put some delicious coatings on the front element.  Presto!  Good point in this thread about focus peaking, should be a charmer.  Seems a perfect candidate for a manual focus lens IMO.  And this lens can be splendid for both macro (errr, excuse me maKro) and portraits.

Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro...  Thoughts?

prodesma's gear list:prodesma's gear list
A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +3 more
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
In reply to prodesma, 8 months ago

prodesma wrote:

Manual focus only... I don't know if I'm the outlier in wishing for a Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro. For a Sony E-mount could be fairly compact (even if FF compatible?) and lightweight (no motor). Put some delicious coatings on the front element. Presto! Good point in this thread about focus peaking, should be a charmer. Seems a perfect candidate for a manual focus lens IMO. And this lens can be splendid for both macro (errr, excuse me maKro) and portraits.

Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro... Thoughts?

Native E-mount lens would be great....but there's always Metabones adapter...

I could use my 85mm 1.4 on e-mount and still get EXIF....I forget about iris though...that may work too.

If they do 85mm first it'll be even longer for a 100 mak I bet, I'd do metabones from Canon in the mean time. Zeiss's are easy resells....don't lose too much in the event they do release an emount 100mm.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +2 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,797Gear list
Like?
In reply to dbm305, 8 months ago

dbm305 wrote:

What interests me is whether these will be new designs for FE mount.

They could be the DSLR Ze/Zf etc series with a new mount; which would be fine (some lovely lenses) but loses a chance to make them a bit smaller (if that's possible without loss of quality)

The best thing would be new designs that get some of the compactness of the ZM series while perhaps being a little less close to the sensor plane and avoiding the resultant problems.

Sadly I think this is least likely: it would be a huge commitment. But we can but hope!

I don't think so at all. The ZM lenses are already good - distagons are fine except for a bit of colour shift in the ultra wides. Just a bit of tweak and you're done! This is actually the shortest and easiest path!

The distance between a Zeiss in one mount and the same Zeiss in another mount is very short - they have their formulas down to a science. We will see distagons or planars or tessars, but designed for the register that we have on the A7. So I would think they start with ZM (not biogon) and tweak it a bit to work well with the A7.

Of course we might get both; say one new design and a few of the old ones remounted...

As for ZF designs, those are specific to DSLR and I don't think they'll merely adapt them - that could have been done yesterday in a flash. And there would be little point.

LAbrewin
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 8 months ago

If you're correct Henry, I'll be in heaven.  I'm currently using the ZM 50 and 21 2.8 on the A7, but would love to have a couple modernized but still lightweight ZM lenses that would resolve close to the full 36 MP on the A7R without magenta shift or smearing on the edges.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads