How about a dose of reality on the A7s: This great hands-on blog is exciting

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,547Gear list
Like?
How about a dose of reality on the A7s: This great hands-on blog is exciting
4 months ago

http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/sony-alpha-7s-first-hands-on-shooting-review/

More to this camera than meets the eye - especially the eye of those quick to condemn Sony.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,203
Like?
Re: How about a dose of reality on the A7s: This great hands-on blog is exciting
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

More to this camera than meets the eye - especially the eye of those quick to condemn Sony.

Awsome footage..... that should show some of the naysayers who say they dont need 4K.....

what the awsome sensor can do for normal full HD !

Awsome camera !

Peter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188
Like?
Cookies, cache and local storage? Predatory ip

Why does that site want to access my hard drive?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?
Re: How about a dose of reality on the A7s: This great hands-on blog is exciting

Kirk Tuck has a typical analytical insight in to the new A7:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-sony-a7s-writing-about-this-because.html

I couldn't care two hoots about video but I must admit to being very curious about the stills quality - it could be quite stunning?

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?

Once the camera is actually released, we'll start to see some complete, objective, balanced evaluations of the camera. Until then, we'll have the usual mix of mostly uniformed prediction and assumption, anticipatory wishing, and limited snippets of first-user experiences.

As with any other bit of technology a camera represents a series of compromises and tradeoffs. Between gushing greatest-thing-sinced-sliced-bread praise and dismissive, knee-jerk criticism, there's the reality: Many useful features, and as many issues, depending on the photographer/videographer's intended use.

More doses of reality:

4k output is only 8 bit compared to 10 for the GH4.

Less-than-ideal, consumer codec.

Same NP-50 battery. For a day's work, you'll need a pocket full of them, or a larger, external battery.

More importantly, no external recorder, no 4k. So, plan on about another $2,000 for that. And more for a rig to hold it. (And more, still, if you want an interface for stuff like XLR mic inputs.)

NAB 2014: ATOMOS SHOGUN – AN HDMI RECORDER DESIGNED FOR THE SONY A7S

(Maybe there will be less expensive versions.)

Sure, there's a similar list of compelling features, and with what the camera offers, it will be the right tool for some people. Just hold the unicorns and rainbows.

npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Even if this thing isn't recording internally or using as high a bitrate as the GH4 I think it's going to be great. For Full HD this is going to one fantastic camera.

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Siobhan A
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
But the camera is not really 4k

The camera isn't 4k and can't shoot 4k on its own. It can only transfer the output to an external recorder - sold separately - that creates 4k files. Even then it is not Cinema 4k: The Digital Cinema Initiatives consortium established a standard resolution of 4096 pixels × 2160 lines.

I have an old Sony camcorder that can shoot in total darkness using a nightvison mode.  I've never used it.

There are examples of 4k from gopros that look stunning on my 1080p monitor too.  They can shoot 4k on their own too.

npires
Like?
Re: But the camera is not really 4k
In reply to Siobhan A, 4 months ago

Siobhan A wrote:

The camera isn't 4k and can't shoot 4k on its own. It can only transfer the output to an external recorder - sold separately - that creates 4k files. Even then it is not Cinema 4k: The Digital Cinema Initiatives consortium established a standard resolution of 4096 pixels × 2160 lines.

I have an old Sony camcorder that can shoot in total darkness using a nightvison mode. I've never used it.

There are examples of 4k from gopros that look stunning on my 1080p monitor too. They can shoot 4k on their own too.

Are you going to be watching cinema aspect ratio on your 16:9 monitor? because Cinema 4K isn't 16:9. Just wondering. UHD 4K is enough for most users. Otherwise maybe get a GH4 if Cinema 4K is so important.

RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?

If you guys actually listen to the Sony presentation on the camera you will see its targetted at a tight niche of professional VIDEOgraphers.  A side effect of the sensor configuration "noted" is that the sensor generates still images with high dynamic range and excellent sensitivity in lower light plus the camera is capable of high speed photography.

As far as I can see for 99.99% of people 4k is completely irrelevant, they do not have the storage/CPU medium to process, store or play anything in 4k of any useful length.

The lower light/high speed burst performance is interesting IF true, but there are few if any Sony bright tele AF/OIS lenses to take advantage of it LOL ... in the presentation there is an excellent low light shot of a pole vaulter, and you have to laugh as you need the high iso as the native emount tele lenses are so dark (well actually they dont exist bar a dark kit and video zoom  LOL)

It's interesting to note the number of recent non kit emount lenses that are video centric (darker fixed aperture during zooming range)

Interesting video camera though and perhaps some HDR/lowlight/high speed uses for still photographers

KelvinHammond
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
I dunno...

What will the A7s do that a Black Magic Pocket won't do for $700 less?

KelvinHammond's gear list:KelvinHammond's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 6D Samsung NX300 +11 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
Re: I dunno...
In reply to KelvinHammond, 4 months ago

KelvinHammond wrote:

tiny sensor vs FF sensor.. , I think this camera is aimed at those videographers that use the 5dmIII for that cinematic look, theres some beta testers that say the video from the a7s is much superior then then 5dmIII when compared side to side.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Siobhan A
Like?
Our Sony projectors are Cinema 4k
In reply to npires, 4 months ago

npires wrote:

Siobhan A wrote:

I have an old Sony camcorder that can shoot in total darkness using a nightvison mode. I've never used it.

There are examples of 4k from gopros that look stunning on my 1080p monitor too. They can shoot 4k on their own too.

Are you going to be watching cinema aspect ratio on your 16:9 monitor? because Cinema 4K isn't 16:9. Just wondering. UHD 4K is enough for most users. Otherwise maybe get a GH4 if Cinema 4K is so important.

The small film makers and corporate guys will be turned off.  The Sony projectors we bought at work are Cinema 4k - very very expensive.  Mom and pop buyers will be turned off too because who wants to walk around with a small camera, large lens, and a big wire running to an external recorder at little Johnny's baseball game.

With JVC's announcement I wonder if the was rushed  from the parts bin.

npires
Like?
Re: Our Sony projectors are Cinema 4k

Siobhan A wrote:

npires wrote:

Siobhan A wrote:

The small film makers and corporate guys will be turned off. The Sony projectors we bought at work are Cinema 4k - very very expensive.

Doubt it. The amount of small film makers I've seen walking around with £5K EOS Cinema cameras... Also again that's at work. Those projectors will most likely play back UHD 4K fine. You're not losing that much from the sides.

Also it's not aimed at mom and pops at jonny's baseball game. So not sure why everyone is getting upset about it. You're not the target audience! They're better off with an A6000.

Siobhan A
Like?
JVC micro four thirds specs
In reply to pew pew, 4 months ago

pew pew wrote:

KelvinHammond wrote:

tiny sensor vs FF sensor.. , I think this camera is aimed at those videographers that use the 5dmIII for that cinematic look, theres some beta testers that say the video from the a7s is much superior then then 5dmIII when compared side to side.

The new micro43 JVC specs look more impressive than the Sony. I wouldn't trust handpicked beta testers from Sony.

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
Re: JVC micro four thirds specs

if you want consumer level 4k camcorders sony also have them : )

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 4 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

If you guys actually listen to the Sony presentation on the camera you will see its targetted at a tight niche of professional VIDEOgraphers. A side effect of the sensor configuration "noted" is that the sensor generates still images with high dynamic range and excellent sensitivity in lower light plus the camera is capable of high speed photography.

As far as I can see for 99.99% of people 4k is completely irrelevant, they do not have the storage/CPU medium to process, store or play anything in 4k of any useful length.

The lower light/high speed burst performance is interesting IF true, but there are few if any Sony bright tele AF/OIS lenses to take advantage of it LOL ... in the presentation there is an excellent low light shot of a pole vaulter, and you have to laugh as you need the high iso as the native emount tele lenses are so dark (well actually they dont exist bar a dark kit and video zoom LOL)

It's interesting to note the number of recent non kit emount lenses that are video centric (darker fixed aperture during zooming range)

Interesting video camera though and perhaps some HDR/lowlight/high speed uses for still photographers

Your "LOL" Sony put-down button is stuck...as in "stuck in the 1980s."

The whole point of making sensors capable of shooting ISO 32,000 that looks like ISO 200 did five years ago is that you can make cameras and lenses smaller and - "dark" only by 30-year-old standards.

Our small NEX and A7/r cameras are proof that you don't need those 1980s-era wide-aperture lenses. A fast 12mpx sensor A7s represents a major step forward for our camera choices.

No one is stopping you from buying an f0.95 lens from the 1980s if you want to still shoot at ISO 200 on a modern ISO 400,000-capable camera.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,192Gear list
Like?

Here's an ISO 25,600 shot with a f1.8 lens:

It was pitch dark (bush baby eyes are very sensitive - look how large the irises are in the photo) and lit with a single IR flashlight.

Now who needs an f0.95 lens again?

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Mel Snyder
Like?
Calling all MFT trolls: "Make new logons and rush to forum 1042 - new Sony camera to trash"

Back in the days before video games, there was an boardwalk arcade game where you aimed a "rifle" (brightly focused light beam) at a mechanical bear with a photocell in its chest.

You knew when you "shot the bear" when it would make a loud roar when the photocell was struck.

You know when Sony has a winner when the trolls all show up - it's the modern version of the mechanical bear's roar.

Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to quezra, 4 months ago

quezra wrote:

Here's an ISO 25,600 shot with a f1.8 lens:

It was pitch dark (bush baby eyes are very sensitive - look how large the irises are in the photo) and lit with a single IR flashlight.

Now who needs an f0.95 lens again?

I love photo-illustrated squelches! Point made!

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?
Here is a link to an article about a 4k recorder for A7s
In reply to npires, 4 months ago
 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads