Why don't people turn their flash OFF in stadiums?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Paul B Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't people turn their flash OFF in stadiums?
In reply to Parishrut Pandey, 6 months ago

Yeah, the stadium flash thing is kind of a sad phenomenon. It's not quite as basic as cutting with the bladed side of a saw or writing with the inky end of a pen. But it's edging quite strongly in that direction. So much for the wisdom of crowds.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
enemjii
Senior MemberPosts: 1,267Gear list
Like?

That would be boring.

-- hide signature --
 enemjii's gear list:enemjii's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
n3eg
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?

With my Olympus E-PL5, my answer is to not attach the flash.  I usually leave it at home.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z990 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +20 more
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to BaldCol, 6 months ago

Ah, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Put a steaming cloth on it... Draw out the poison!!

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Roonal_Z
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?
In reply to meland, 6 months ago

meland wrote:

...for not knowing the steps in Morris Dancing ...

I certainly don't know the steps, though I have seen a couple of Morris Dance demonstrations (at Contra dances).

-- hide signature --

Good Day,
Roonal

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug Haag, 6 months ago

Doug Haag wrote:

...Reminds me of the old story about a college campus near here. Guys used to grab a blanket and a girl and go down to the river bank at night. Said they were going to watch the submarine races.

Submarine races have been popular with college students for years. I remember them from the '50's. But given that the submarine was invented during the Civil War, they could be much older than that.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
FrancoD
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Funny thing is that, I feel , if you explained to most why their flash (any flash...) is useless at that distance, they would still leave it on because they just want to believe.

Same reason why no matter how many times people are told that the chance of that litle white ball ending on red or black is exactly the same on every throw, folk still want to believe that it isn't.

Parishrut Pandey
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaveOl, 6 months ago

DaveOl wrote:

Many people probably weren't even aware that their flash went off, unless it illuminated the back of the person's head in front of them.

Good point.

Parishrut Pandey's gear list:Parishrut Pandey's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Andreas Stuebs
Contributing MemberPosts: 715Gear list
Like?
Because they want ...

... pictures of well lit backs of heads. You don't need model releases to publish those.

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 +11 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,874
Like?
In reply to DaveOl, 6 months ago

DaveOl wrote:

meland wrote:

DaveOl wrote:

Some P&s cameras probably don't have a way to turn the flash off, the people don't know how to turn it off, or they think it will help the picture.

I'm sure you are right but did you mean to reply to me?

Sorry, No I was replying to the OP, but didn't see your name in the box.i

I don't know how to turn off the name in the box or how to change it. I should have just replied to the original poster's post.

They way to reply to a specific post is to open that post (not the latest in the thread) and either use key R or click on Reply (or Q or Reply with quote, of course). It's easier to find your way around threads if you use Threaded view rather than Flat view.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,543
Like?
Re: Don't you know that ....

Parishrut Pandey wrote: We are talking of stadiums and photography of players here, which are MUCH closer than the moon. You don't need a flash for that.

Groannnnn! That was a tongue in cheek comment you know. Most flashes only project light about 6' from the camera so using in any situation where greater distances occur produces, as original poster complained, it's pretty useless and annoys anyone near front of the camera.  However, most compacts use auto flash - but then, surely most people using DPR know this anyway.

Of course, there are other flashers around!

Click on "Original" to see the animation!

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Parishrut Pandey
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zone8, 6 months ago

Zone8 wrote:

Parishrut Pandey wrote: We are talking of stadiums and photography of players here, which are MUCH closer than the moon. You don't need a flash for that.

Groannnnn! That was a tongue in cheek comment you know. Most flashes only project light about 6' from the camera so using in any situation where greater distances occur produces, as original poster complained, it's pretty useless and annoys anyone near front of the camera. However, most compacts use auto flash - but then, surely most people using DPR know this anyway.

Of course, there are other flashers around!

Click on "Original" to see the animation!

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

I meant "you don't need a flash for clicking players" and not "you don't need a flash for clicking the moon"

Parishrut Pandey's gear list:Parishrut Pandey's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
star shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?

If you think flashing is useless in stadiums, how about the dumb clucks who take a flash pic of the stars!  Man, are they in for looooooonng wait for illumination. Probably the same ones who take flash pictures of an image or a PowerPoint shown on a projection screen.. "..why is my shot blank...." Doh! I tell ya, some mothers do have 'em.

RJPeter
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
In reply to dwight3, 6 months ago

dwight3 wrote:

Doug Haag wrote:

...Reminds me of the old story about a college campus near here. Guys used to grab a blanket and a girl and go down to the river bank at night. Said they were going to watch the submarine races.

Submarine races have been popular with college students for years. I remember them from the '50's. But given that the submarine was invented during the Civil War, they could be much older than that.

There were no submarines in the lake I went to, but there was a luminous duck.

-- hide signature --
 RJPeter's gear list:RJPeter's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Samsung NX20 +41 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,543
Like?

Parishrut Pandey wrote:  I meant "you don't need a flash for clicking players" and not "you don't need a flash for clicking the moon"

I did guess that actually but could not resist a reply especially with the flasher gif.  

-- hide signature --

alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
They are trying to distract the players.

If they manage to distract the players with the camera flash, the team will lose 

NetMage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, 6 months ago

Except this isn't the 1950's when computer screens only had room for a tiny piece of text at a time.

Threaded view would be a lot more useful if it showed more than one post at a a time.
--
-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sigma DP1x Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +13 more
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, 6 months ago

The people who do not know how to use their cameras functions (other than flash), are the general public (probably the biggest demographic of overall users), certainly not the enthusiasts who want to know more. Full auto is often as much as the general public want to know about. Oddly, they are pretty good at using a smart phone though and know a lot about that, instead of a pocket camera.

A need to know, perhaps? (they are very interested in all their smart phones functions)

That said, it certainly is pretty to see a sea of pretty sparkly "flash" stars in a stadium when light goes low. Does not bother me.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,144Gear list
Like?
iAUTO

Parishrut Pandey wrote:

I don't understand it. The bigger the event is, the more flashes you see. It is wonderful to watch and gives a great sense of occasion, but is there a particular reason for this? Almost every camera that is taking pictures seems to flash. Isn't it useless?

They leave the camera in the configuration they bought it in, which is usually iAUTO. That fires the flash in the dark regardless.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,652Gear list
Like?
That's nothing

I was just at Disney Orlando.

There was a guy in front of me, just before the Epcot center fireworks, trying to take a picture of the scene around the lake using a P&S with the flash on.  I don't know how many stadiums you could fit in that space, but it's a heck of a lot.  I watched his LCD pop up each time with a black image.  Then he'd mess with the camera for a few seconds and try again, still with flash.  Same result, of course.

But even that is nothing compared to watching someone shoot pictures of the moon with the flash on.

The answer to why people do this is AUTO MODE.  These people use nothing else, and so deserve what they get.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads