Why don't people turn their flash OFF in stadiums?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Parishrut Pandey
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Why don't people turn their flash OFF in stadiums?
8 months ago

I don't understand it. The bigger the event is, the more flashes you see. It is wonderful to watch and gives a great sense of occasion, but is there a particular reason for this? Almost every camera that is taking pictures seems to flash. Isn't it useless?

Parishrut Pandey's gear list:Parishrut Pandey's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
BaldCol
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Re: Why don't people turn their flash OFF in stadiums?
In reply to Parishrut Pandey, 8 months ago

99.9% of the people taking pictures in these circumstances:

1. Think that the flash will help;

2. Don't know how to turn it off anyway.

BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497Gear list
Like?

Yes, it is useless.

I think most people rely on the camera. If the camera sees dark, it fires the flash. If the camera didn't fire the flash, the stage would be overexposed and blurred because of a long shutter speed, so in a way, the flash works ... perhaps ... sometimes.

You don't see all those people who knows how to turn their flash off because they dont flash.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,771
Like?

Most people are clueless. It's a hoot to be shooting a football game from the sidelines and see all those little twinkling strobes.

The Incredible Hoke
Contributing MemberPosts: 789
Like?

I cringe a little bit when I see people taking pics of the Manhattan skyline from Brooklyn Bridge Park with a flash. Yes, that tiny little flash will illuminate those huge buildings from across the East River.

I'm sure they just don't realize it won't work or they don't know how to keep it from flashing. It doesn't harm anyone.

-- hide signature --
PhotoSenpai
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?

I was thinking the same just yesterday watching the Oxford-Cambridge boat race. Yes, that flash is going to reach those small boats in the middle of the Thames.

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, 8 months ago

hotdog321 wrote:

Most people are clueless. It's a hoot to be shooting a football game from the sidelines and see all those little twinkling strobes.

lol...

-- hide signature --

Follow me online at http://blog.roumelio.com

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,384
Like?
In reply to BaldCol, 8 months ago

BaldCol wrote:

99.9% of the people taking pictures in these circumstances:

1. Think that the flash will help;

2. Don't know how to turn it off anyway.

You missed

3. The camera is set to "Auto" and the flash is automatically enabled.

Doug Haag
Regular MemberPosts: 498
Like?
In reply to PhotoSenpai, 8 months ago

PhotoSenpai wrote:

I was thinking the same just yesterday watching the Oxford-Cambridge boat race. Yes, that flash is going to reach those small boats in the middle of the Thames.

Wow!  Boat races at night!  If it is that dark, do the boats turn on their port and starboard running lights? LOL

Reminds me of the old story about a college campus near here.  Guys used to grab a blanket and a girl and go down to the river bank at night.  Said they were going to watch the submarine races.

weezy
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, 8 months ago

The camera won't take a picture unless flash is raised - even in P mode. SX50 will complain, unless I switch to manual. Same for the 20D except it's easier to switch. Shutter won't work. On some cell phones the light will go on automatically for videos.

I find it annoying with electronics. I never even had a flash on my SLR. Someone taught me to use existing light. You don't have a button that changes ISO, shutter speed, in some cases, aperture. The 20D does have a readout on the top, the SX50 you have to use the screen with that circular switch.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,517Gear list
Like?

Parishrut Pandey wrote:

I don't understand it. The bigger the event is, the more flashes you see. It is wonderful to watch and gives a great sense of occasion, but is there a particular reason for this? Almost every camera that is taking pictures seems to flash. Isn't it useless?

They either don't know how, or don't care, or both.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,517Gear list
Like?
In reply to weezy, 8 months ago

weezy wrote:

The camera won't take a picture unless flash is raised - even in P mode. SX50 will complain, unless I switch to manual.

SX50 will take a photo with the flash not raised, just maybe not in full auto.

Same for the 20D except it's easier to switch. Shutter won't work.

Same thing; unless you're in full auto any DSLR will take the photo w/o the flash raised.

Mark

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,668
Like?
Don't you know that ....

Parishrut Pandey wrote:  I don't understand it. The bigger the event is, the more flashes you see. It is wonderful to watch and gives a great sense of occasion, but is there a particular reason for this? Almost every camera that is taking pictures seems to flash. Isn't it useless?

... if you turn the flash off you will not be able to get a decent shot of the moon!   

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,030
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, 8 months ago

hotdog321 wrote:

And how easy it is to mock these poor people for being clueless because we are experts and therefore somehow superior.

Possibly they in turn might also mock us for not knowing the steps in Morris Dancing or the difference between say a Triumph TR3 and a TR3A, or indeed any other piece of knowledge which is only of interest to an anorak?

DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,080
Like?
In reply to meland, 8 months ago

Some P&s cameras probably don't have a way to turn the flash off, the people don't know how to turn it off, or they think it will help the picture.

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,030
Like?
In reply to DaveOl, 8 months ago

DaveOl wrote:

Some P&s cameras probably don't have a way to turn the flash off, the people don't know how to turn it off, or they think it will help the picture.

I'm sure you are right but did you mean to reply to me?

Parishrut Pandey
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't you know that ....
In reply to Zone8, 8 months ago

Zone8 wrote:

Parishrut Pandey wrote: I don't understand it. The bigger the event is, the more flashes you see. It is wonderful to watch and gives a great sense of occasion, but is there a particular reason for this? Almost every camera that is taking pictures seems to flash. Isn't it useless?

... if you turn the flash off you will not be able to get a decent shot of the moon!

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

We are talking of stadiums and photography of players here, which are MUCH closer than the moon. You don't need a flash for that.

Parishrut Pandey's gear list:Parishrut Pandey's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?

I'll bet some of those people would laugh if they saw me attempting woodworking or plumbing or the other things they know about that I don't.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,080
Like?
In reply to meland, 8 months ago

meland wrote:

DaveOl wrote:

I'm sure you are right but did you mean to reply to me?

Sorry, No I was replying to the OP, but didn't see your name in the box.i

I don't know how to turn off the name in the box or how to change it.  I should have just replied to the original poster's post.

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,119
Like?
You can turn the flash off ??? <nt>
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads