Cheap variant of FT 1 adapter

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
cvako
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Cheap variant of FT 1 adapter
5 months ago

Hi guys, I just found this cheap variant of FT 1 adapter for my Nikon 1 J2. Do you think it will work with Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR or Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5,6 DG OS for Nikon ? Does any one have exactly this one? Thanks

Nikon 1 J2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mato34
Contributing MemberPosts: 875
Like?
At least, you will lose AF and VR
In reply to cvako, 5 months ago

Don't know about AE, but only the lack of autofocus should make yo to consider it really well.

Edit: Oh! And also diaphragm aperture... Just a very basic adapter that'll give you a very limited set of features of those of the 55-300.

Saludos!

-- hide signature --

Please, excuse my poor english...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MattZisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Re: Cheap variant of FT 1 adapter

It doesn't appear from the photo to have the lens contacts to permit control of focus/aperture.  I'd guess it's a dumb adapter.

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,119Gear list
Like?
I'd only consider that adapter for fully manual lenses

cvako wrote:

Hi guys, I just found this cheap variant of FT 1 adapter for my Nikon 1 J2. Do you think it will work with Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR or Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5,6 DG OS for Nikon ? Does any one have exactly this one? Thanks

And even then, you will not have ANY features, including autofocus, focus confirmation, auto exposure, or auto diaphragm.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
ckar
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
 ckar's gear list:ckar's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 348
Like?

Please remember the FT1 has more than just electrical contacts. It also has a motor and a lever to actuate the aperture diaphragm lever. I also suspect it's not just a simple pass-through as well.

In short: You really do get what you pay for with the FT1. It might be overpriced, but it's the only way to properly use AF-S VR G-type lenses on the Nikon 1.

_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,204
Like?
In reply to yslee1, 5 months ago

yslee1 wrote:

Please remember the FT1 has more than just electrical contacts. It also has a motor and a lever to actuate the aperture diaphragm lever. I also suspect it's not just a simple pass-through as well.

In short: You really do get what you pay for with the FT1. It might be overpriced, but it's the only way to properly use AF-S VR G-type lenses on the Nikon 1.

The FT-1 also has a firmware Even the FT-1 does not let one properly use AF-S G type lenses (central AF point only...). N1 series was not really designed with true F-mount compatibility in mind.

The main problem with some such cheapo adapters is that they don't let you adjust the aperture even manually, so a G-type lens with no aperture ring stays at min aperture all the time, which is pretty useless. You need at least an adapter with an aperture lever for G lenses.

http://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mount-adapters/fotodiox-pro-nikon-g-lens-to-nikon-1-system-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html

I understand auto metering with unindentified lenses is somewhat hampered on N1 compared to some other mirrorless cameras, and the AE chip on one of the adapters above helps a bit. But you don't get VR I guess.

And cheapo adapters may not be made with the required strict tolerances; for instance, just a little too thick, and you don't get good focus at infinity...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

dougjgreen1
Like?
In reply to _sem_, 5 months ago

_sem_ wrote:

yslee1 wrote:

The FT-1 also has a firmware Even the FT-1 does not let one properly use AF-S G type lenses (central AF point only...). N1 series was not really designed with true F-mount compatibility in mind.

The main problem with some such cheapo adapters is that they don't let you adjust the aperture even manually, so a G-type lens with no aperture ring stays at min aperture all the time, which is pretty useless. You need at least an adapter with an aperture lever for G lenses.

http://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mount-adapters/fotodiox-pro-nikon-g-lens-to-nikon-1-system-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html

I understand auto metering with unindentified lenses is somewhat hampered on N1 compared to some other mirrorless cameras, and the AE chip on one of the adapters above helps a bit. But you don't get VR I guess.

And cheapo adapters may not be made with the required strict tolerances; for instance, just a little too thick, and you don't get good focus at infinity...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

Keep in mind that lensrentals has a commercial agenda there.   I've actually used dozens of cheapo adapters in 4/3 and micro 4/3, where the system still provides metering and aperture priority auto.

I've actually NEVER come across a cheap adapter that was supposed to provide for infinity focus that didn't.  If anything, if they get the distance wrong, it's on the side of being too thin, which means you can focus past infinity - that maybe happens with around 10% of the cheap adapters.  Maybe another 10% of them have a slight wobble with mounted lenses - to me, this is the more significant problem, because it means that the top and bottom of the frame will have slightly different focus points.   But as I said, this is maybe a problem with 10% of these adapters - if it is, you simply return it, or throw it away, and get another one - not so bad for something that costs $10-15.  And certainly better than paying $50 or more for a supposedly better but also dumb adapter with no electrical pass through contacts.

Unfortunately, Nikon 1 cameras don't offer most of the benefits that they could with adapted lenses, meaning no aperture priority metering.  So with that system, you really need a chipped adapter - which means either the Nikon FT-1 or the Russian-made chipped adapters that cost about $65 - because they have no competition.

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
_sem_
Like?
In reply to dougjgreen1, 5 months ago

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Keep in mind that lensrentals has a commercial agenda there.

I don't think there was a commercial agenda there. But their quest was related to the A7r and best lenses to compete with the D800, so they had high expectation. And testing on the optical bench is very sensitive to misalignment, because the lens is supposed to be exactly at inf and with zero tilt or shift, as much as I understand.

I've actually NEVER come across a cheap adapter that was supposed to provide for infinity focus that didn't. If anything, if they get the distance wrong, it's on the side of being too thin, which means you can focus past infinity - that maybe happens with around 10% of the cheap adapters. Maybe another 10% of them have a slight wobble with mounted lenses - to me, this is the more significant problem, because it means that the top and bottom of the frame will have slightly different focus points. But as I said, this is maybe a problem with 10% of these adapters - if it is, you simply return it, or throw it away, and get another one - not so bad for something that costs $10-15. And certainly better than paying $50 or more for a supposedly better but also dumb adapter with no electrical pass through contacts.

I've got one wobbly adapter from Photodiox. The problem with adapters is that it is difficult to guess which of them is reasonably well made for the money...

Unfortunately, Nikon 1 cameras don't offer most of the benefits that they could with adapted lenses, meaning no aperture priority metering. So with that system, you really need a chipped adapter - which means either the Nikon FT-1 or the Russian-made chipped adapters that cost about $65 - because they have no competition.

I understand it is possible to buy the chip separately and glue it to another adapter (which has aperture control).

dougjgreen1
Like?
In reply to _sem_, 5 months ago

_sem_ wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

I don't think there was a commercial agenda there. But their quest was related to the A7r and best lenses to compete with the D800, so they had high expectation. And testing on the optical bench is very sensitive to misalignment, because the lens is supposed to be exactly at inf and with zero tilt or shift, as much as I understand.

I've actually NEVER come across a cheap adapter that was supposed to provide for infinity focus that didn't. If anything, if they get the distance wrong, it's on the side of being too thin, which means you can focus past infinity - that maybe happens with around 10% of the cheap adapters. Maybe another 10% of them have a slight wobble with mounted lenses - to me, this is the more significant problem, because it means that the top and bottom of the frame will have slightly different focus points. But as I said, this is maybe a problem with 10% of these adapters - if it is, you simply return it, or throw it away, and get another one - not so bad for something that costs $10-15. And certainly better than paying $50 or more for a supposedly better but also dumb adapter with no electrical pass through contacts.

I've got one wobbly adapter from Photodiox. The problem with adapters is that it is difficult to guess which of them is reasonably well made for the money...

Unfortunately, Nikon 1 cameras don't offer most of the benefits that they could with adapted lenses, meaning no aperture priority metering. So with that system, you really need a chipped adapter - which means either the Nikon FT-1 or the Russian-made chipped adapters that cost about $65 - because they have no competition.

I understand it is possible to buy the chip separately and glue it to another adapter (which has aperture control).

Yes but the chip alone costs something like $50+ including shipping, so you might as well pay $64 and get a chipped adapter.

Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,340Gear list
Like?

_sem_ wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Yes but the chip alone costs something like $50+ including shipping, so you might as well pay $64 and get a chipped adapter.

What if you already have the adapter?
--
Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
dougjgreen1
Like?
In reply to Paul Pasco, 5 months ago

Paul Pasco wrote:

_sem_ wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

What if you already have the adapter?
--
Regards, Paul

Lili's Dad

I'd still get a chipped adapter, rather than having to mess around with gluing the chip onto one yourself - what if you did it in slightly the wrong location?  Who bears the risk of improper assembly?  You do.

_sem_
Like?

dougjgreen1 wrote:

I'd still get a chipped adapter, rather than having to mess around with gluing the chip onto one yourself - what if you did it in slightly the wrong location? Who bears the risk of improper assembly? You do.

I've managed to glue a chip to an F-mount AI style TC, with very little hassle. But the hassle heavily depends on how well the chip fits the mount; dremeling may be required in some cases.

Does the chipped adapter have lens aperture adjustment? If it doesn't, it is almost useless with G-type lenses (mind the OP).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads