why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,920
Like?
why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
6 months ago

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,901Gear list
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Focus on the good stuff, and do not pay attention to the bad stuff.

 miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Annex
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

It's been like this since the A7/r came out and certain people took it personally.

Likely won't change, I hardly post nowadays as there are so many people pushing agendas rather then posting objectively.

 Annex's gear list:Annex's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,006
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

All online forums have some rude messages, or messages that you might think are rude but are not intended to be.

You just have to develop a thick skin and ignore any annoying remarks.

It takes all sorts to make a world and you cannot expect everyone to have exquisite manners.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,277Gear list
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

Not a noticeable problem if we don't feed rude or insulting posters.

-- hide signature --

So easy to be negative - so hard to be constructive!

 Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A99
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robbinsbox
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

lol, yes I often think about this

The camera gear forums =

Sony United

Fuji Wanderers

Olympus City

Panasonic North End

Nikon Rovers

Canon United

Ok, I overgeneralise but people follow brands emotionally because they have invested emotionally.

There are lots of nice people but these boards are not really about photography, it is the gear premiership.

ps

sony give us a 85mm

 robbinsbox's gear list:robbinsbox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,672
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

It is completely unnatural for people to communicate by text only as a whole raft of visual and verbal cues as to our real meanings and emotions are just missing. Also it is not really human nature to communicate with people we do not know without some sort of introduction ritual.

I think DPR is not too bad considering what most other internet traffic is like and is probably as good as you are going to get really. People here do share a common interest but there are strong differences of opinion and things can escalate.

I note you yourself use the word fanboy which is a standard term of abuse so you are probably yourself not aware of how you are projecting your views.

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,077Gear list
Like?
Welcome to the internet and online forums /nt
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago
No text.
 nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CraigArnold
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: what are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

There do seem to be a few bullies here, but use the "Ignore" button and hopefully once enough peel are ignoring them the mods will kick them off.

This particular forum seems slightly worse than even the average Dpreview forum.

-- hide signature --
 CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,920
Like?
Re: Why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

sorry should have been "Why are some people ............

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,988Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

ianbrown wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

sorry should have been "Why are some people ............

*What* is Why now, regarding insults/attacks ect there is a complain system for it or you can contact a moderator.

A moderator is not reading all posts, thats why there is a complain system.

believe me the number of complains is low, sure things can be improved regarding certain behavior but you need to understand this only can be accomplished with help from forum members.

Also i think we all might expect Adult/ Mature behaviour and respect towards others.

The rules are not that difficult to follow.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

 Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Samsung HZ35W Nikon Coolpix P500 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 603
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

I don't see what your point is !

A general post like this seems more like religion. It is not precisely pointing on any 'wrong' post.

It can't surprise if cameras are like cars. We love and hate. And mirrorless are something special !

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
You lost me at "this" forum
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

I understand your points, and I appreciate civility and reasoned discussion as much as anyone, but why exactly is you complaint level at "this" forum in particular? I've been to other forums, and haven't observed much difference.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fernando T
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

I'm not much of a poster, but I read many posts on here for tips and such. From what I've read, people are set off for a few different reasons.

1. Posting an attack on the camera without evidence. So saying "The NEX-6 stinks. I can't get what I want out of it," will get you rude posts. Post photos and ask what you do to get better or what you're doing wrong.

2. Saying the Sony camera is great, but this MFT camera is so much better. Let me tell why this MFT camera is so great.

There are others but I have to get to work. If you know the other reasons, post them.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,442
Like?
Compensated disparagement
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

My supposition is that a contributing factor is probably that this location is part of the world in which, by some estimates, 30% of reviews and posts of products and services are by people in some way compensated to boost one offering and disparage a competitor's.  Everyone knows that these types of long term campaigns are an extremely cost effective form of "advertising" and are very hard to identify for posting sites.   Although such practices are technically illegal in the US, the reach of the FTC for enforcement in a our global world and the ability to police it is zero.  So the situation is like that of a public assembly with agent provocateurs loaded into the midst.  "Why are those people behaving like jerks?"  Well, they are paid to do so.  Given that all studies of this problem have shown it to be rampant, it is naive to suppose it isn't here.  Further, there is a structural problem with this, and most board designs, that make it an ideal target for such techniques.  It is the headline management.  Headlines show up in a scan of the forum, but responses do not, until you dive in.  Therefore headlines like "Why I'm returning my lousy A7R" can be seen by potential buyers making a quick glance. Worse all the people who respond saying, "Are you kidding, its great" just keep the headline at the top.  It is as if Pepsi ads bounced Coke ads into prime time.  How can a manufacturer resist that temptation.  My assumption is that they are all playing this game in our midst.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,141Gear list
Like?
Re: Compensated disparagement
In reply to wb2trf, 6 months ago

wb2trf wrote:

My supposition is that a contributing factor is probably that this location is part of the world in which, by some estimates, 30% of reviews and posts of products and services are by people in some way compensated to boost one offering and disparage a competitor's.

Web/blog reviews, possibly, but not your average web board posting.  I was on bulletin board systems before there was a world-wide-web, and there was this same troll behavior where some people just like to get a rise out of others by finding something to pick on.  The rudeness is there already, willingly handed out.

There were also some awful "flame wars" regarding computers, videogame consoles, etc.  The debates between Amiga and Atari ST were often particularly mean, even though they were very similar machines, and yet both of those systems failed.  If this was considered successful marketing, perhaps the definition of success needs to be revisited.

Everyone knows that these types of long term campaigns are an extremely cost effective form of "advertising" and are very hard to identify for posting sites. Although such practices are technically illegal in the US,...

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

I understand exactly what you mean. I wrote something quite positive a few months back about the a7r and got many many likes and many positive reactions. Then came the news the a7r wasn't weather sealed as promised, then came the news the 14bit files were actually 11+7bits, then came the news of sony already working on next a7 models. So I felt let down and wrote something quite critical. Except a few knowledgeable people everyone took it the wrong way and I felt I got literally bullied away by the majority of people.

Also, I don't think complaining abouit it will ever help, I have seen many people complaining during the last few years, it's just something that keeps going on. So I have looked around for some other, friendly sources of info and decided to leave this place. No need for idiots in my life. But here I am again, after the new announcement yesterday I was curious what people were thinking about the whole thing. And here I see nothing has really changed. Oh well, nothing one can do about other people's behaviour, right?...

-- hide signature --

Sezai E., philosophy geek, bibliophile and creative photographer.
Cheers!

 S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,988Gear list
Like?
As i said before
In reply to S3ZAi, 6 months ago

S3ZAi wrote:

ianbrown wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

I understand exactly what you mean. I wrote something quite positive a few months back about the a7r and got many many likes and many positive reactions. Then came the news the a7r wasn't weather sealed as promised, then came the news the 14bit files were actually 11+7bits, then came the news of sony already working on next a7 models. So I felt let down and wrote something quite critical. Except a few knowledgeable people everyone took it the wrong way and I felt I got literally bullied away by the majority of people.

Also, I don't think complaining abouit it will ever help, I have seen many people complaining during the last few years, it's just something that keeps going on. So I have looked around for some other, friendly sources of info and decided to leave this place. No need for idiots in my life. But here I am again, after the new announcement yesterday I was curious what people were thinking about the whole thing. And here I see nothing has really changed. Oh well, nothing one can do about other people's behaviour, right?...

-- hide signature --

Sezai E., philosophy geek, bibliophile and creative photographer.
Cheers!

regarding insults/attacks ect there is a complain system for it or you can contact a moderator.

A moderator is not reading all posts, thats why there is a complain system.

believe me the number of complains is low, sure things can be improved regarding certain behavior but you need to understand this only can be accomplished with help from forum members.

Also i think we all might expect Adult/ Mature behaviour and respect towards others.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

 Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Samsung HZ35W Nikon Coolpix P500 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,491Gear list
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

DPReview suffers badly from too many armchair experts that know all the scientific facts about a camera but can't take a photo to save their lives. So they hide behind the keyboard and snipe away with all that expert knowledge. Unfortunately these peoples don't seem to care that they are talking to ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS who may have the weakness to be offended by such "genius"

Unfortunately I gave up posting photos here (DPReview) a long time ago, because quite often the majority would rather criticise purple fringing of a tiny blown highlight over the actual quality of the photograph. Unless you're a big name in which you could probably fart on a sensor and they would thus proclaim it to be the work of a genius!

And as for cameras and this forum - the Sony A7 sums it up. That thing can't focus for toffee according to the experts. Well, this proves that most of these guys are often just regurgitating what they've read online, because if they went and tried it, they'd see that it focuses perfectly well and is a very very good camera.

Still, I'm just bitter because I can't afford the Summicrons to put on it!

Happy travels!

-- hide signature --

www.twitter.com/gavphotography

 cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rich Gibson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,336
Like?
It's been like this since 2000
In reply to ianbrown, 6 months ago

There have been trolls and bullies here since the first days of digital cameras. It's the reason Nikon Cafe was started nine years ago. The internet has spawned a legion of folks trolling for reactions and being generally mean. They are filled with 'keyboard courage' because of the lack of accountability.

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads