Sony New Announcement: Who is impressed/Who is not?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
ImagesInstyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
Sony New Announcement: Who is impressed/Who is not?
8 months ago

Who is impressed with the new announce, and who is not?

ImagesInstyle's gear list:ImagesInstyle's gear list
Sony a6000
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,948Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony New Announcement: Who is impressed/Who is not?
In reply to ImagesInstyle, 8 months ago

ImagesInstyle wrote:

We need to see still image samples for high ISO that are not from Sony.

As for 4K video, the A7s requires an external recorder, and that makes it impractical for me.

I will wait for a version that can record directly to a memory card in the camera.

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,570Gear list
Like?

ImagesInstyle wrote:

I'm impressed that Sony is filling the needs of videographers. I hardly shoot video thus I am not interested in this camera. I look forward to Photokina hopeful of lens announcements.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +10 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,446Gear list
Like?

ImagesInstyle wrote:

Well, the original rumors, that E-mount and FF sensors were video-driven (VG900), gave us Nex and A7 cameras. We should be impressed that, upon the initial Nex' success, Sony stayed the course and catered to a market segment in terms of lenses, camera bodies, sensors, leading to class-leading and award winning products.

The 4k announcement for video-graphers is a big deal - this is a cheaper solution that allows higher IQ, easier with the constant aperture zoom lenses.

For photographers, it gives us a new option. 12Mp may be deemed too little, but against a very high (native) ISO, it is rather impressive, for half the price of the Df. What would you want to use when shooting weddings? ISO 24,600 or ISO 6,400 - if same noise levels?

More impressive is that the other vendors are letting Sony do what it does - it can not be that hard to put together the pieces and see Sony's strategy, is it?

I know, Sony is the underdog, but it seems that electronics is taking over the once optical world, and I would bet on Sony for a while longer - they surely are on a roll

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,420Gear list
Like?

ImagesInstyle wrote:

I am impressed because Sony surprises us with a camera nobody was anticipating. I am no videographer neither but for them it must be a very compelling offering, a dream come true for low light videos as in concerts asf.

The most likely unparalelled high ISO performance gives many new possibilities and I am curious how many still photographers will opt for this camera because of it. For low light photography in church, during piano concert asf. the shutter sound should be more descreet than on NEX and A7/r though and I doubt that is is, or is it?

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Ricoh GXR M, Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Pentax *ist DS
Cartwheels MD
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?

They are incredibly unfocused. Okay so they have now introduced a camera designed to challenge the dominance of the 5D MkIII in videography and the D4s and 1Dx in low light performance. I am not sure why the a7 does not have the video features this one does.

Cartwheels MD's gear list:Cartwheels MD's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Apple Aperture
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,539Gear list
Like?
IF

ImagesInstyle wrote:

It is as good as it looks and from the specs and IF it is priced under $2500 (under $2000 more so).

As long as the video is as good as stated (and if ordinary users can get video like the Sony samples easily) and as long as ISO 25600 is great.....I will be highly impressed.

I am happy with the stills and video from the A7 as it is now though.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,324Gear list
Like?

Not.  Instead of video equipment, I'd much prefer that Sony deliver leading edge lenses for their customers.  It's not like its a surprise to them that we want and need them. We don't need yet another power zoom instead of what was promised.  Imagine how much faster they could deliver lenses if they weren't messing about with this.

Ask me how I really feel. 

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cartwheels MD, 8 months ago

This camera being made for videographers it looks pretty damn good. The technology in this camera is for want of a better word pretty bleeding edge.

Curious thought what sort of resolution will it be in crop mode?

Don't take much in the way of video and everything I have done has been accidental but definitely interested in the low light abilities. That hopefully transfers to the next generation in I'm hoping 2 years to make the current purchase worthwhile and for the technology to mature.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jabba23, 8 months ago

Not impressive. Looks like Sony tinkered in together from available parts. No Phase Detect AF, no 4k recording to a card, pixel count is less than competition. Looks like Sony just had to make a camera which would capture the headlines and will have this 4k label.

I am not a pro and I am not earning money with photography (just spending money on it). I have no interest in A7s For my personal use. A7 and A7r look more appealing to me.

I wonder what pros think about this camera.

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800E
Franka T.L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?

Well, I am pretty pleased and impressed, not just by the A7s, but the total lineup of the A7/A7r/A7s and the E mount accommodated also with the A6000. One size just do not fit all, and by providing more specifically tailored solution to a common platform , that's when a system start to give depth and capability.

Now Sony, give us some really really good e mount lens please.

-- hide signature --

- Franka -

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,999Gear list
Like?
Alxy: just curious, from where you got that info?
In reply to Alxy, 8 months ago

Alxy wrote:

Not impressive. Looks like Sony tinkered in together from available parts. No Phase Detect AF, no 4k recording to a card, pixel count is less than competition. Looks like Sony just had to make a camera which would capture the headlines and will have this 4k label.

I am not a pro and I am not earning money with photography (just spending money on it). I have no interest in A7s For my personal use. A7 and A7r look more appealing to me.

no phase detect AF? If we look at the specs published by DPR:

Optics & Focus

Autofocus:

• Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Phase Detect
  • Multi-area
  • Center
  • Selective single-point
  • Single
  • Continuous
  • Face Detection
  • Live View

mind, I'm just curious, although have not a single grain of intent to actually purchase one = strictly STILLS photog. here !!

jpr2

mugen
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
FPS Fail Again ?!
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

Someone with reliable info bout the continuous shooting speed of this camera ?

I don't see it here, so I suppose that it is something slow again:

http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=9680&NewsAreaId=2

mugen's gear list:mugen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +1 more
Foroa
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?

I am impressed by Sony's incremental moves in several domains at the same time: full frame, better AF, low light, EVF's, E mount and fixed lens cameras. A nice laboratory with currently 5 full frame models. Full frame started its journey to deliver a viable enthusiast baseline below 1000$ within a couple of years, like the A6000 is now a mature baseline at 650$. This should attract lens manufacturers more and more.

Foroa's gear list:Foroa's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,661
Like?

I am impressed, but I don't shoot video at all, so it is not for me.

My own interest is more in very high resolution at low ISO settings. But if one had plenty of money, it would be nice to have this machine on standby for low light work.

The most impressive thing is Sony's positive attitude to camera development. They make Canon and Nikon look conservative.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,661
Like?
Re: FPS Fail Again ?!
In reply to mugen, 8 months ago

mugen wrote:

Someone with reliable info bout the continuous shooting speed of this camera ?

I don't see it here, so I suppose that it is something slow again:

http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=9680&NewsAreaId=2

Why not just use frames from the 4K video ?

rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226
Like?
I´m impressed and I´m a low light D4 shooter!
In reply to D Cox, 8 months ago

I´m impressed and I´m a low light D4 shooter!

Ist exactly the camera I was looking for to compliment my other gear !

Peter

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,464Gear list
Like?
Impressed

Impressed - not because I want or need this camera (uuuum, might be nice for astro photography, would love a Ha/near IR sensitive version ... ) but simply because Sony also is making new cameras to fit the needs of more limited/new user groups.

Some people might be disappointed with 'just 12 Mp' without realizing we already have the A7/A7r, others that the camera doesn't record 4K video directly on a memioy card, others again ... if you are dissatisfied with the specs, the camera simply isn't for you -- look for something else.

I think this is all about high quality video, still the camera might satisfy those extreme low light stills photographers we read about on forums like this all the time (where are their real world photographs?) ...

-- hide signature --

So easy to be negative - so hard to be constructive!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A99
Helena777
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?

I am very impressed. Sony did a game-changer another time. This is not a perfect camera, as it seems (I don't have knowledge about video) but being a E-Mount + video tasks dedicated = great video camera for sure.

Now thinking about low light specialized sensors on APS-C. I have the NEX-7 but no one lens that take its 24 MPs (and I am not going to buy any black lens); and ... that light gathering capacity (state of the art low MP sensors), coupled with a good zoom.. I like it!!

(It is difficult to explain in English :P)

Helena777's gear list:Helena777's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Samsung NX300 Sony a6000 +6 more
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,464Gear list
Like?
In reply to miro3, 8 months ago

miro3 wrote:

As for 4K video, the A7s requires an external recorder, and that makes it impractical for me.

Neither do I have a personal computer with 4K monitor, nor do I have a 4K televison set. Even my projector is just HD resolution ...

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A99
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads