Sold my DSLR and just got GM1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
yonsarh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264
Like?
Sold my DSLR and just got GM1
7 months ago

I used to have dslr and it was heavy was sitting on drawer for a long time, so I decided to sell it move onto mirrorlesssystems. I did quite a search around it,before I buy other m43 cameras, but found that GM1 is best suitable for my needs. Not just size and picture quality, but the pros about gm1 is there are lot of selection of lenses I can use. personally, I am bored of dslr. I am now in transition of pana-olym .

Now the problem is I don't have lens yet I do have older nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens used on film cameras and I might use this lens for a while with an adapter. I know 20mm f1.7 has some serious good sharpness quality and maybe this is the lens I will get.  I do have one in my mind. What is the cheapest and most valuable lens for the m43 lens?  doesn't matter if it's m.zuiko or lumix lens...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
spotfromoz
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Re: Sold my DSLR and just got GM1
In reply to yonsarh, 7 months ago

The 20 is a great lens but if you want cheap the 14 can be had cheap on eBay. Also the Sigma art lenses perform well and are cheap to boot great value for money

spotfromoz's gear list:spotfromoz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D90 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603
Like?

Lens selection depends upon what you attend shooting.  The 20 1.7 is an excellent lens to start with.  If you plan on shooting portraits I have been very happy with the Olympus 45 1.8.

If you are to landscapes, either the Olympus 24mm, or the Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 8-16.  Bear in mind the zooms make your small GM1 a much larger setup.

Good luck with your GM1.  I understand that it is a very capable camera, but again the better the quality the lenses, the better the IQ.

Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
In reply to howardfuhrman, 7 months ago

The 20mm Panasonic is a little sharper than the Olympus 17mm, but what do you get as drawbacks?

• Slower focus speed on the 20.
  • 20mm is equivalent to 40mm.
  • 40mm is an odd frame size.

By comparison with the 17mm it's a little less sharp but:

• It has faster focus speed than the 20mm.
  • It's a 35mm, well just about (34).
  • 35mm is the frame size for most environmental portraits you've seen shot in magazines.

40mm is closer to a normal portrait lens, but head and body shots are boring and it's always nice to see some of your environment when you're taking a portrait shot. I much prefer the environmental portrait, I also like to see the environment in my street photography, so I lean towards a 35mm unless I want to do street portraits in which case you're better off with something like a 45mm anyways.

50mm normal lenses come from a period where it wasn't possible to make a lens any wider than 50mm without distortion on close ups and of pictures of things such as brick walls. These days we can go down as low as 24mm with negligible distortion and I don't take pictures of boring brick walls just to see the distortion from my lens.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,136Gear list
Like?
GM1 is an addiction

There is something about it that makes photography fun again.  It is a solid tiny camera that does more than many DSLRs.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D600
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,099Gear list
Like?
Re: GM1 is an addiction
In reply to Lab D, 7 months ago

Lab D wrote:

There is something about it that makes photography fun again. It is a solid tiny camera that does more than many DSLRs.

And less ...

I dumped dSLRs in 2012 ... since then I have bought and sold numerous m4/3 bodies and still have several, including the GM1. They are wonderful photographic tools and the GM1 is especially capable for its size.

But it is no dSLR when the subjects start to move ...

I like the GM1 with its stabilized kit lens and a Franiec grip ... (mostly) one handed operation is very smooth. I acquired an E-PM2 to go with it as a small travel kit ... I use the 45 1.8 on the Oly body for the IBIS and the kit lens on the GM1. The GM1 has amazing video as well ...

All in all, a great addition to an m4/3 kit ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +16 more
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to spotfromoz, 7 months ago

spotfromoz wrote:

The 20 is a great lens but if you want cheap the 14 can be had cheap on eBay. Also the Sigma art lenses perform well and are cheap to boot great value for money

I second these choices. They are among the cheapest best options for m43s. I'm not sure I'd call the 20mm slow to focus like some others. It's just not instant like most of the modern m43s lenses. The Sigma lenses all seem to perform well, especially the 60mm and you can't beat the price.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +22 more
AndyMulhearn
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lab D, 7 months ago

Lab D wrote:

There is something about it that makes photography fun again. It is a solid tiny camera that does more than many DSLRs.

Would you care to elaborate on what the GM1 can do that many DSLRs can't?

AndyMulhearn's gear list:AndyMulhearn's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Lumixdude
Like?
In reply to AndyMulhearn, 7 months ago

Well there's the inevitable thing that you can't fit a 7D in your pocket and then having a neck and shoulder brace so that you don't feel like you're 7D is the 800lb gorilla in the room and then there's the fact that with a 14 megapixel micro four thirds sensor you're already achieving what professional level cameras were achieving just a couple years ago.

Then you have to ask yourself a pretty blunt question about whether you actually need a 7D, which comes back to the last bit of the conundrum above. When a 14 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor is putting out image quality close enough to a Canon 1D MKIII or a Canon 5D MKI you really have to ask yourself, why do you need more?

Why does anyone including most photography enthusiasts need to pay for a 7D when a GM1 with the right lenses attached will provide better quality photos than what they are actually capable of producing themselves?

Then even if you can shoot at the level of photography, you've gotta ask yourself, you're already shooting at better than 35mm quality, do you really need to spend so much more money, for even more finite image quality gains?

It's the law of diminishing returns, particularly when you start actually adding on the cost of pro glass to achieve what you're not fully achieving with your Canon 7D in maximising what your 7D is capable of.

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
AndyMulhearn
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 7 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Well there's the inevitable thing that you can't fit a 7D in your pocket and then having a neck and shoulder brace so that you don't feel like you're 7D is the 800lb gorilla in the room and then there's the fact that with a 14 megapixel micro four thirds sensor you're already achieving what professional level cameras were achieving just a couple years ago.

So that's one thing a GM1 can do, it can fit in a pocket. Which means it's small so an ergonomic nightmare. And GM1 being as good as a couple of year old DSLR doesn't make it better than a DSLR, so no points for that one.

Then you have to ask yourself a pretty blunt question about whether you actually need a 7D, which comes back to the last bit of the conundrum above. When a 14 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor is putting out image quality close enough to a Canon 1D MKIII or a Canon 5D MKI you really have to ask yourself, why do you need more?

Ah, now that's where you've lost the plot. There's no way a GM1 is even close in IQ to a 5D let alone a 1D mk III. As for my needing a 7D, well that wasn't the question but anyway, I shoot a lot of wildlife, mainly BIF, and combined with a 400L the 7D is a very good piece of kit for what I do. But then this is just another M4/3 fanboy attempt at diversion by attacking on the questioner rather than the question so I'll move on.

Why does anyone including most photography enthusiasts need to pay for a 7D when a GM1 with the right lenses attached will provide better quality photos than what they are actually capable of producing themselves?

Errr, because it won't. There is no way you can match with your GM1 what I can do with my 7D. Sorry, but you're delusional if you think otherwise.

Then even if you can shoot at the level of photography, you've gotta ask yourself, you're already shooting at better than 35mm quality, do you really need to spend so much more money, for even more finite image quality gains?

Some people settle for mediocre, others like to achieve the best they can. I can guess what group you fit into.

It's the law of diminishing returns, particularly when you start actually adding on the cost of pro glass to achieve what you're not fully achieving with your Canon 7D in maximising what your 7D is capable of.

A cost I'm willing to bear, but then that wasn't the question which was, as you seem to have forgotten, "Would you care to elaborate on what the GM1 can do that many DSLRs can't?" So far that appears to be fit into a pocket, size undefined, and have better image quality than a seven year old camera, which is debatable from what I've seen. All sounds a bit meh to me.

mano42
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?

I often use my GM1 with 45mm, 1.8, 12-32, 7-14 and samyang fisheye. They all handle very well.

You can see alot of pictures with gm1 and various lenses in this blog.

http://carpatinum.blogspot.ro/2013/12/panasonic-lumix-gm1-gondolkozz-nagyban_21.html

mano42's gear list:mano42's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,186Gear list
Like?
May I ask ..

Which dSLR brand and model you had. I am curious why it was no fun to use it after all.

Thank you,

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,983Gear list
Like?
Re: May I ask ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 7 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

Which dSLR brand and model you had. I am curious why it was no fun to use it after all.

Thank you,

-- hide signature --

- sergey

To the type of person who needs a GM1, almost all DSLRs plus DSLR-like cameras such as the E-M1, GH3 etc. could be no fun to use and end up sitting in the drawer. I fail to see why you want to investigate further.

This is one thing no SLR format will compete with.

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?

I have the GM1 with the 12-32 and the 60mm Sigma. I think that bigger and heavier lenses would defeat the purpose of having such a small camera. By the way, the handling of the GM1 improves a lot with Richard Franiec's grip, and I find often useful the Clearviewer. With this and a couple of extra batteries I have enough.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?

AndyMulhearn wrote:

Ah, now that's where you've lost the plot. There's no way a GM1 is even close in IQ to a 5D let alone a 1D mk III. As for my needing a 7D, well that wasn't the question but anyway, I shoot a lot of wildlife, mainly BIF, and combined with a 400L the 7D is a very good piece of kit for what I do. But then this is just another M4/3 fanboy attempt at diversion by attacking on the questioner rather than the question so I'll move on.

The comparison to the 5DII is indeed a stretch, but the GM1 does get awfully close to the 1DIII (same DR, only half-a-stop behind in SNR):

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GM1-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-III___920_483_434

Of course, the AF is no match if you're doing, say, sports or fast-moving wildlife. The GM1 does have more accurate AF, however. As for the ergonomics, it's just silly to even compare: completely different cameras for completely different purposes (I use both systems, currently 5DIII and GX7). But the point someone else made above is very valid: once image quality gets to this point, it's not what's going to be limiting your photography. If you need the AF and ergonomics of a DSLR, use that. If you don't, use whatever camera makes you happy, makes your life easier, and that you're most likely to actually take with you. And then use it to put more thought into your photography.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
Lumixdude
Like?

You're actually deluded if you don't think that 14 megapixel µ4/3 sensors aren't in exactly the same ball park as a Canon 1D or early 5D because the proof is in the pudding whether you want to look at the images or whether you want to look at the DXO Mark scores...

As for the rest, I'm pretty sure you just came here to troll so I'm going to be placing you on my ignore list if I get any more inane social commentary...

And ergonomically... cameras that small are fine... you don't know what you're talking about, µ4/3 is fully mature now and there is nothing wrong with the 14 megapixel sensors that are found in the current range of Olympus and Panasonic cameras.

Maybe if you'd bitched and moaned about 3 years ago about where µ4/3 wasn't going I would have believed you, but you don't have a leg to stand on today. The IQ is quite close... of course there's subtle issues with AF and moving subjects but those will be resolved as on sensor PDAF improves.

When you have a camera that is well and truly better than a film SLR that fits in your pocket, how much more do you really need? This you haven't answered and I do not understand...

AndyMulhearn
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 7 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

As for the rest, I'm pretty sure you just came here to troll so I'm going to be placing you on my ignore list if I get any more inane social commentary...

So you're answer to the question "Would you care to elaborate on what the GM1 can do that many DSLRs can't?" is to first not answer the question and then accuse me of trolling when I react negatively to your almost completely pointless response.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, it's pretty clear than you add no value to this conversation so I'd not want you to bother reading anything I say.

Lumixdude
Like?

AndyMulhearn wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

So you're answer to the question "Would you care to elaborate on what the GM1 can do that many DSLRs can't?" is to first not answer the question and then accuse me of trolling when I react negatively to your almost completely pointless response.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list, it's pretty clear than you add no value to this conversation so I'd not want you to bother reading anything I say.

I answered your question, I stated it can't fit in your pocket and then I stated the law of diminishing returns, and then I stated you have an expensive camera and that you don't have a lot of short lenses so you're not taking full advantage of what you have anyway.

This I cannot make any clear.

The GM1 as with other µ4/3 cameras have there limitations obviously, I'm not living in fairy land here. I am a realist, but I am also aware of how very good Micro Four Thirds now is as a standard.

I then countered your question

I stated saying yes it can't be a 7D, however it can do just about as well as a 1D MKIII and get close enough to a 5D MKI in most tasks that it's really not funny AND on those grounds it's a really good camera that produces really good images when you take into account its limitations.

I then stated a straight forward question.

IF it can do all of this and come pretty close to cameras that are well and truly beyond what the majority of people are using, then why does it need to do something that your 7D does anyway?

I then stated

There is a very real concept that should exist in the heads of any reasonably intelligent person called the law of diminishing returns.

Perhaps you should look up this concept called the law of diminishing returns.

It's why most people don't waste money on expensive crap they don't actually need. It's not my fault though if I cannot get through to you and you decide to spend excessive amounts of money on things you may not otherwise need.

So what CAN'T the 7D do... It can't be lugged around all day without it soon appearing as though to be a boat anchor, and no I'm not rich enough to have a camera sherpa either.

LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983Gear list
Like?

The kit lens (12-32) is very good.  The 20 1.7 seems faster to focus on the GM1 (and GX7) and it is indeed a sharp lens.  The Olympus 45 1.8 is another fine lens that classifies as a short telephoto in addition to being a great portrait lens.  If you want a telephoto, the Panasonic 45-150 is lightweight, small and inexpensive.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +17 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enir4, 7 months ago

Agree with the grip and the Clearviewer suggestions.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads