Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
FA Limiteds — Rest in peace
8 months ago

FA Limiteds: 1997 – 2012/3

THE BIRTH

The story of Pentax FA Limiteds — FA31, FA43 and FA77 — is the story now passed into legend. Three FA Limiteds were originally developed by Jun Hirakawa, a very talented optics engineer who worked for Pentax long time ago. He was made redundant under the Hoya’s ownership of Pentax. Mr Hirakawa currently works for Tamron.

In his original idea about limited edition lenses, Mr Hirakawa preferred smaller lenses, as they look more elegant and balanced on a camera. He originally designed a 1.9/43mm and 1.8/77mm lenses, and took on to design a 2.4/31 mm lens, based on the optical formula of the old 2.8/K30 (which was a remarkable and unique lens in itself).

However, the decision makers at Pentax/Asahi Optical Company did not like that idea, for some reason (vaguely discussed below), but wanted to have a faster lens. Mr Hirakawa was replaced on the project by two optical designers, namely, Mr Takayuki Ito and Mr Masayuki Murata. They finally made the 1.8/31mm Limited lens.

The FA43 was first marketed in 1997. It was the first that used the Pentax new ghostless coating patent and technology. This coating formula was an improvement over the SMC, and like its name suggested, new technology was extremely successful at eliminating ghost images. If one believes additional legends tied to FA Limiteds, the new coating was developed for an automated traffic-identification system requested by the Japanese police. Its aim was identifying car license-plates at night, which was difficult because of flare caused by the headlights.

Since 1997 Pentax has applied ghostless coating only on several selected lenses, which perhaps suggests that its application process was more expensive than the standard SMC.

THE ODD FOCAL LENGTHS

FA43’s 43mm focal length is actually the diagonal length of the 135 film. As such it is the most ideal and perfect "standard" lens for a 135 format camera. It is worthwhile to mention Pentax was the only optics company to venture, design and manufacture a 43mm lens for the 135 standard. One would ask, what others were thinking all those decades before and after?

The FA77 was marketed in 1999, following the FA43. Pentax wanted to make the second FA Limited lens into a portrait lens, but with a different focal length than usual, and with an aim to be smaller than a standard portrait lens. Thus it had not to be a 85mm lens. Legend goes that Jun Hirakawa liked the traditional Japanese cake made by the cake maker "喜月堂" whom has an emblem writing similar to three seven "七" Chinese words. That, apparently, inspired thoughts about designing a 77mm lens.

Pentax FA77 Limited is an attempt of rare humanism inside the world of photography. Its designer called it “returning to the age of innocence”. With its 270 grams and 49mm filter thread, it is a striking dissimilarity to the plethora of almost aimlessly made 85mm lenses, all much heavier sporting almost an inch wider filter threads. Yet the FA77 has an appeal over them all.

The focal length of the FA31 lens is a bigger mystery. It is hard to ascribe it to any particular measure, a ratio, a diagonal of an imaging format or name of a particular tea biscuit. I believe 31mm is a result of company’s previous continuous attempts to find a perfect normal wide angle focal length and aperture. It is a talent Pentax has somewhat lost recently.

In Japan, traditionally loved wide normal focal length is 28mm in 135 format. In the West, the preferred normal wide focal length is 35mm. 31mm sits right in between them, or, a half way in between Japanese normal wide and the Western normal wide. In most circumstances, that would be the universally compelling lens we would take on everywhere. Considering the era of film in which is was conceived, a desire for the widest as possible aperture is well founded, as the photographer would indeed love its most used lens to have the most in terms of light gathering ability. Therefore f1.8 was preferred over the f2.4.

THE REST IN PEACE

According to some sources, including our Pentax Forums favourite Asahi man, almost two years ago the production of FA Limiteds ceased. What is sold now in the shops are inventories being cleared out, to make room for something new. Same, or a different new? Perhaps the latter.

The story of the FA Limiteds is tied to specific times and circumstances of the Pentax brand in its continuous, and at times tumultuous journey. The development of the new improved coating back in late 1990s justified the FA Limiteds, similarly as today the new development in coating technology justifies their last bow from the stage.

And there is more, of course. The aperture ring, the manual switch for the AF and MF, new trends for smaller and smaller, their non-native focal lengths on APS-C cameras undeniably make FA Limiteds oddities in the world of digital photography, even within the home grounds of current Pentax cameras and their new imaging philosophies.

The sales of FA Limiteds never really soared, but were steady. They definitely did not excite in times when their production ceased — time which overlaps with misty and uncertain times when the future of the Pentax brand under the new management of Ricoh was questioned. It is feasible to surmise many did not venture to invest in (more expensive) lenses of a brand that may, or may not continue to exist. Because for 2+ years, Pentax under Ricoh showed no new commitment, only rehashes of the old. In that time, second hand market was flooded with FA Limiteds.

The lacklustre DA560, despite being a very good modern lens, had the similar lack of good fortune for those same reasons of the uncertainty, and only now, with the advent of the K-3, we may say enthusiasts are renewing their faith that Pentax may still be around, and that more valuable lenses are worth buying.

The interest for FA Limiteds has resurged, but only for a short while I'm afraid — until the inventories are not emptied. For after that, who knows what will come to replace the legendary FA Limiteds?

It won't be same, and will have the taste of different times.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: FA Limiteds — Rest in peace
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 8 months ago

Very informative post. Lots of details, don't know how you got them ?

If M. hirosawa works for Tamron, I hope he is not theone who designed the nez 150-600 mm they introduced. Wouldn't that be a slap to Pentax ? Just what they need.........

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
judith1600
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?

Very interesting post.  Thank you.  Those 3 were the first lenses I purchased.  The 43mm remains my favourite, my most challenging, and my most productive.

Regards,

Judith

judith1600's gear list:judith1600's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +14 more
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,327
Like?

Interesting and somewhat sad data.  Sorry to see these 3 excellent lenses go out of production.  I have all 3 and will not part with them.  Probably use the 43 the most.

-- hide signature --

JRB

Adam Aitken
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?

Hi Zvonimir

I bought a new FA-31 last week and am now busy taking photos with it hitched to my K-5ii. So far so good. I have calibrated it for close work. I decided that having my bit of this historical glass was preferable to buying the contemporary offerings from Sigma, which are excellent, but I still feel the FA 31 has that slightly smaller form factor ( and the color rendition) I really like. I will post some of my efforts soon.

-- hide signature --

Sea bream at Sydney Fish Market.

The Hungarian Tokaj is for my 20th wedding anniversary.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86405024@N06
'Photography is nothing else than a writing of light' - Eduardo Cadava (and a whole lot of other stuff!)

Adam Aitken's gear list:Adam Aitken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
Couscousdelight
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adam Aitken, 8 months ago

Excellent article, thank you.

More informations about the conception of FA77 & FA43 :

http://uppix.net/AQ7S2q.jpg
http://uppix.net/3ydMLD.jpg
http://uppix.net/1QbUCq.jpg

Regards,
Arno

Couscousdelight's gear list:Couscousdelight's gear list
Pentax K-5 +1 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Excellent choice
In reply to Adam Aitken, 8 months ago

Adam Aitken wrote:

Hi Zvonimir

I bought a new FA-31 last week and am now busy taking photos with it hitched to my K-5ii. So far so good. I have calibrated it for close work. I decided that having my bit of this historical glass was preferable to buying the contemporary offerings from Sigma, which are excellent, but I still feel the FA 31 has that slightly smaller form factor ( and the color rendition) I really like. I will post some of my efforts soon.

-- hide signature --

Sea bream at Sydney Fish Market.

The Hungarian Tokaj is for my 20th wedding anniversary.

'Photography is nothing else than a writing of light' - Eduardo Cadava (and a whole lot of other stuff!)

Excellent choice Adam.

You now posses a unique piece of history and a human achievement never to be repeated again.

Enjoy your FA31.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
asahi man
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?

Zvoni,a good Summary,will give you a +1
Best regards 😊

zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649Gear list
Like?
In reply to asahi man, 8 months ago

Zvoni,a good Summary,will give you a +1
Best regards 😊

Asahi man would recall this interesting article. The Op referred to you in some of info's.
--
pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
baldeagle21b
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?

I imagine the FA's will be peacefully resting on DSLR's for a long time yet to come.

baldeagle21b's gear list:baldeagle21b's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
frank
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,957
Like?
Re: FA Limiteds — Rest in peace - the tagged photo...

Haven't logged in for a log time. Today I happened to come in and saw such an interesting thread. The tagged photo looks really familiar. it sure looks like mine :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/fengwei/PentaxGear/PentaxFA_LE_Lenses.jpg

I got the silver version too, don't mind you putting in the original post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/fengwei/PentaxGear/PentaxFA_LE_Lenses_Silver_s.jpg

Its really nice to read more info about these fantastic lenses.

should come back here more often.

Cheers!

Adam Aitken
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?
In reply to Couscousdelight, 8 months ago

To be drunk very soon.

I swear the fish I focussed on was not alive, but the FA 31 seems to have resurrected it!

-- hide signature --

Adam Aitken's gear list:Adam Aitken's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +2 more
merengues
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?

Zvonimir:

Your contributions to this forum are most welcome, at least for me. Years ago I was fortunate to live in Rome for 6 years, but without a Pentax. Now I am amongst the few mortals who have the Trio in version MIJ. This article may be what I need to go out and use these tools made for special memories.

Earl

Madrid

merengues's gear list:merengues's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,513
Like?

Nice summary, Zvonimir.

Incidentally, the FA 31 is actually a 32 (that is, it is something more than 31.5). The old FA 35 was actually a 34. So Pentax cound not brand these at their actual focal lengths. They would have appeared too close together.

It is sad if production has indeed ceased on the FA limiteds. I wonder what it means.

Joe

Duplo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,656
Like?
A sad day

What a shame.

The limited were and still is very unique lenses and while i shoot different systems today

The FA43ltd in particular stand out as the finest rendering lens I have ever used and it is responsible for quite a few of my all time favourite images.

A lens does not make images on its own of course, but certain lenses enable me to"connect" with my surroundings and the FA43ltd was such a lens to me, to a greater extend than most lenses I have used.

-- hide signature --

Thomas
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
~~Link to homepage and blog in profile~~

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,063Gear list
Like?
Re: Prime numbers

31 and 43 are prime numbers, the 77 is not. It is 7x11 though, the product of two prime numbers.

Suitable for prime lenses.

A little far fetched maybe

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

Zvonimir,

Why have some said - I got the three all MIJ?  Does that matter where they're made?  Also, when did (Hoya?) move the lens production?  Maybe Ricoh feels as though these lenses lost the "magic dust" or they'll bring them back sometime?

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,513
Like?

I got to thinking more about the possibility that these have been discontinued. I wonder if this means that (a) a full-framer is coming, and (b) it sill be SDM only.

Joe

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 8 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

I got to thinking more about the possibility that these have been discontinued. I wonder if this means that (a) a full-framer is coming, and (b) it sill be SDM only.

Joe

I don't think it's directly related, Joe, They apparently discontinued production some time ago and these are 135 format lenses anyway.  True, they don't have internal motors.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Bananasplit
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 8 months ago

How do you know that the FA limited are no more assembled? Ricoh has not announced it and they are still sold.

Bananasplit's gear list:Bananasplit's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads