Odd lens flare with the 10-18 zoom

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
abdoozy
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Odd lens flare with the 10-18 zoom
7 months ago

This was shot at 10mm. The sunburst looked cool in the viewfinder. On the monitor, not so much. Was this a function of the lens being at f/22, the fact that the lens had a filter onboard (albeit a good quality Marumi lens protector), or should I just expect this kind of odd flare artifacts when shooting a UWA directly into the sun?

Some of those flare dots are downright bizarre.. they look like donuts. Or condoms

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

abdoozy's gear list:abdoozy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +11 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851Gear list
Like?
Re: Odd lens flare with the 10-18 zoom
In reply to abdoozy, 7 months ago

Why, for crying baby Jesus, are you shooting APS-C at f/22?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abdoozy
Like?
In reply to DtEW, 7 months ago

DtEW wrote:

Why, for crying baby Jesus, are you shooting APS-C at f/22?

I was testing DOF when shooting straight up with the sun in the frame at various apertures.

Did I break some photographic law? Should my wrists be slapped or something? Because it's not like I make a habit out of it...

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +11 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577Gear list
Like?

Shooting into the sun can illuminate dust and cause weird effects, so clean your lens and use a rocket blower on that sensor and re-shoot this shot.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390
Like?

Nothing unusual.

Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?

Never seen that shooting a sun star, but then never shot a sun star with my NEX 6. I'm not sure those dots are dust though.  Could be a dirty filter or someone suggested a dirty sensor, but maybe just a function of the lens and filter.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,738
Like?

abdoozy wrote:

... Was this a function of the lens being at f/22, the fact that the lens had a filter onboard (albeit a good quality Marumi lens protector), or should I just expect this kind of odd flare artifacts when shooting a UWA directly into the sun?

That patterned rainbow spot effect has been seen extensively on the A7/R under the same shooting conditions, as you probably have read. In addition to that you have some ordinary flare spots and some dust in/on the lens.

abdoozy
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, 7 months ago

Lightshow wrote:

Shooting into the sun can illuminate dust and cause weird effects, so clean your lens and use a rocket blower on that sensor and re-shoot this shot.

Good point. Everything looked fine when I took the camera outside, but the pollen is very heavy today and it's possible that helped create the artifacts.

if I get a chance with similar conditions I'll try it again, only with a freshly delinted lens and no filter.

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308
Like?

abdoozy wrote:

This was shot at 10mm. The sunburst looked cool in the viewfinder. On the monitor, not so much. Was this a function of the lens being at f/22, the fact that the lens had a filter onboard (albeit a good quality Marumi lens protector), or should I just expect this kind of odd flare artifacts when shooting a UWA directly into the sun?

Some of those flare dots are downright bizarre.. they look like donuts. Or condoms

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

To learn more about such flare pattern you should invest the $ 50 it takes to purchase a pinhole cover for the NEX. Then you would see wild flares in any color if you shoot into the sun. These are at f/150 or smaller and then this effect becomes even more prevalent.

Otherwise: Go and learn NOT to use f/22 into the sun; and do clean your lenses and sensor every once in a while.

But I am serious about those pinhole covers, the cheapest new lens you can buy,so  try one and learn.

steve vida
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?

To be fair, I think you need to remove the filter & try again.It may not make much difference but its not serving any purpose in improving the image.

steve vida's gear list:steve vida's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +6 more
abdoozy
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, 7 months ago

uhligfd wrote:

abdoozy wrote:

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

To learn more about such flare pattern you should invest the $ 50 it takes to purchase a pinhole cover for the NEX. Then you would see wild flares in any color if you shoot into the sun. These are at f/150 or smaller and then this effect becomes even more prevalent.

Otherwise: Go and learn NOT to use f/22 into the sun; and do clean your lenses and sensor every once in a while.

But I am serious about those pinhole covers, the cheapest new lens you can buy,so try one and learn.

After 40+ years of photography I know enough not to shoot f/22 into the sun (or anywhere else) for any reason except flat experimentation, which is all I was doing here. I appreciate comments regarding the spots and the odd rainbow effect, which I'd heard about with the A7 but not with the NEX6.

The sensor is cleaned regularly. The spot problem is likely as others have mentioned, with minuscule particles on the lens protector.

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?

abdoozy wrote:

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

I think its pretty normal under the shooting conditions you were using.  I've been able to get all of my Sony mirrorless cameras (NEX 5n, NEX 7, A7R) to behave similarly with pretty much any lens I've tried - though, A7R is the easiest to make flare this way.  I probably should try my E-PL3 and Pentax Q to see if they do similar (I do think the larger the sensor and closer the rear lens element is to the sensor, the worse the issue, so micro-4/3 and Pentax Q should have less of a problem).  I certainly don't see this as an issue with the camera or lens, as I do not shoot under these conditions other than to test the lens to see where it starts flaring.

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, 7 months ago

uhligfd wrote:

abdoozy wrote:

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

But I am serious about those pinhole covers, the cheapest new lens you can buy,so try one and learn.

Hmm. Galen Rowell recommended shooting at F22 for sun stars.  What is the authority for your comment ?

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,622Gear list
Like?

abdoozy wrote:

After 40+ years of photography I know enough not to shoot f/22 into the sun (or anywhere else) for any reason except flat experimentation, which is all I was doing here. I appreciate comments regarding the spots and the odd rainbow effect, which I'd heard about with the A7 but not with the NEX6.

Samples I have seen show NEX 6 performance is more like A7 then A7R in this regard.

The A7 got a lot of negative publicity on it as people are probably being more critical of the sensor.  The A7R doesn't seem to do it near as much.

I imagine it is related to sensor coverings used.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Dsnoir
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?

I have the Sigma 8-16 lens, it virtualy focuses on the lens surface, so that dust tends to show up, lens flare is always a feature/problem with very wide lenses.  If your trying to get the star burst effect from a light source you need to stop down below f16, so I cannot see that f22 is out of the ordinary, or wrong

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads