No distortion correction with kit lens

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?
No distortion correction with kit lens
8 months ago

Is it just me or does the D7100 not have distortion profile for the 18-140 kit lens that comes in the same box? Jpegs are vignetted obviously at the wide end, and the distortion correction is unavailable with that lens only.

I went on the Nikon site, but the latest firmware does not appear to remedy this.

If someone has that setting working, please enlighten me.

-- hide signature --

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,267
Like?
pincushion distortion
In reply to blue_cheese, 8 months ago

blue_cheese wrote:

Is it just me or does the D7100 not have distortion profile for the 18-140 kit lens that comes in the same box? Jpegs are vignetted obviously at the wide end, and the distortion correction is unavailable with that lens only.

I went on the Nikon site, but the latest firmware does not appear to remedy this.

To be on same page...are you saying you can not set the "Auto Distortion Control" to on or off in the shooting menu (it's greyed out?)

Also note...Auto distortion control only corrects pincushion distortion and not vignetting.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_cheese
Like?
Re: pincushion distortion
In reply to Mako2011, 8 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

To be on same page...are you saying you can not set the "Auto Distortion Control" to on or off in the shooting menu (it's greyed out?)

Also note...Auto distortion control only corrects pincushion distortion and not vignetting.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Correct, with that lens attached I do not have the ability the change the setting. No problem with the 70-300 or the 60mm macro.

Are you sure distortion is just for pincushion? I thought it also covers vignetting and CA, at least i thought it did (although I have hardly made a through examination), i keep RAWs, but in the odd chance I use the JPEG I leave this setting on. Would be nice to know why that particular lens does not have the option though.

-- hide signature --

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,868Gear list
Like?
Re: No distortion correction with kit lens

I also have the D7100 with 18-140 lens. You are correct. Distortion correction is not available in camera.  But CA and vignetting correction is available.   Several reviews have mentioned this.  The lack of distortion correction shows up in my test shots too.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,570
Like?
18-140mm not yet included...

blue_cheese wrote:

The 18-140mm does not yet appear to be included in the latest distortion control data update, which is Firmware L 1.009:

http://www.nikonimglib.com/dcdata/index.html#os-windows

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,267
Like?
JPEG

blue_cheese wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

-- hide signature --

Correct, with that lens attached I do not have the ability the change the setting. No problem with the 70-300 or the 60mm macro.

That means the lens isint supported yet. Will eventually with a firmware update. Was included in the last update.

Are you sure distortion is just for pincushion? I thought it also covers vignetting and CA, at least i thought it did (although I have hardly made a through examination), i keep RAWs, but in the odd chance I use the JPEG I leave this setting on. Would be nice to know why that particular lens does not have the option though.

The auto distortion Data for a lens only corrects barrel and pincushion distortion, AFAI. CA and Vignette control are low level and automatic in JPEG only via the Expeed engine. You don't have control of it like you do with the D600/610. You can also apply CA and Vignette control with some Raw convertors.

-- hide signature --

swimswithtrout
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
You need in camera distortion correction for a JPEG from a kit lens ?

Am I the only one that see's the irony in this question about a "non-pro" camera ?

blue_cheese
Like?
Re: You need in camera distortion correction for a JPEG from a kit lens ?
In reply to swimswithtrout, 8 months ago

swimswithtrout wrote:

Am I the only one that see's the irony in this question about a "non-pro" camera ?

I don't get it... there is no irony... there is a menu option that isn't available with just one lens. I got my answer, i wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was missing.

-- hide signature --

- Ayn Rand

_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,314
Like?
Re: You need in camera distortion correction for a JPEG from a kit lens ?

blue_cheese wrote:

I don't get it... there is no irony... there is a menu option that isn't available with just one lens. I got my answer, i wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was missing.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. In-camera correction of these isn't always problem-free. I used to think software correction would be mandatory to fix the horrible flaws of such lenses. In fact, distortion and vignetting need to be corrected only when they bother you, and even then you may want to alter the degree of correction. And Nikon's correction isn't best out there; DxO, PTLens and Adobe do a bit better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads