As of today, Sony has 7 FF cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,122Gear list
Like?
As of today, Sony has 7 FF cameras
3 months ago

If we do get the A7s announcement today.

3 A7's, 2 RX1's, and the A99.  It looks like only Nikon has ever also offered 6 FF models at the same time.  Then there is the FF NEX VG-900 FF dedicated video camera.  That makes 7 for Sony.  Adding the A900 and A850, Sony has now produced 9 FF cameras.

Looks a lot like a strong commitment to FF, to me.  Added to a strong commitment to APSC in both A mount and E mount, plus 1" sensor compacts and the best bridge camera available today (and maybe ever).

I wonder if one of these days soon Sony will get the appropriate acknowledgement about what is looking like some remarkable accomplishments?

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TonyC5D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Re: As of today, Sony has 7 FF cameras
In reply to tex, 3 months ago

Sadly still rather let down by the lens range.

TonyC5D's gear list:TonyC5D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
In reply to TonyC5D, 3 months ago

TonyC5D wrote:

What lenses are you missing and use?

pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?

yep sony cameras are looking good, in my 4 cameras wishlist sony have 2 of them : ()

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
Like?
In reply to spacemn, 3 months ago

spacemn wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

It is not just what they are missing lens wise but also the lack of quality of some of them. On top of that there are the QC issues they have with some of their lenses.

Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stu 5, 3 months ago

Still doesn't answer the question of what is missing? What is not a quality lens in the alpha lineup?

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?

so doews that mean more FF cameras than FF AF/OIS lenses ?  LOL that tells it's own story as well

Jesper Frickmann
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stu 5, 3 months ago

I think that Sony's lens lineup is good. I don't understand why it is so important to you and some others to always voice your negative opinion. First of all, this thread was about cameras, not lenses. Secondly, if you really think that they are so bad, why don't you just move on to a different brand? There are plenty to choose from. And you don't need to start a "Goodbye Sony" thread about it. Just go to the relevant forum for your new brand and tell them about all the things that are absolutely terrible about the other brand.

Jesper Frickmann's gear list:Jesper Frickmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,671
Like?
re: it'd be real success story should they also have SEVEN full frame LENSES...

...in FE right now - esp. bright primes in FLs of at least 85mm, say: FE 85/1.4, FE 100/2, and FE 135/2 = all three already present (and excellent) in the Zeiss catalog (and I mean Zeiss, not "Zeiss" or Sony-Zeiss in particular taking into account the recurrent QC issues that seem to constantly haunt their recent lens releases !!)

jpr2

Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 3 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

so doews that mean more FF cameras than FF AF/OIS lenses ? LOL that tells it's own story as well

Never let the facts interfere with a good whine eh ? There are more coming not only from Sony but from Zeiss ( sometime around Photokina onwards ) as well. Basically apart from some sports and wildlife photographers, what do you need ? A 16-35, 24-70 and a 70-200 plus perhaps a macro and or a short tele. And did I mention all the Minolta, KM and Sony A mount lenses out there ? Sorry about that.

The FE mount in particular still has only a small number of suitable cameras out there. It will take third party manufacturers sometime even if they do decide to produce product. There are some hundreds of thousands of Canon and Nikon full frame cameras out there - they will come first.

TonyC5D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
In reply to spacemn, 3 months ago

spacemn wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

300 f2.8? 100-400 f4? In fact anything over 210 would be nice! Yes, I know they would be big compared to the alpha/NEX bodies but that that is the photographers choice. Sony are restricting their market by only offering relatively short lenses. I own the NEX 7 and love it but I just want a couple of longer lenses, not too much to ask surely! And I have tried legacy lenses, I would much prefer native with full functions thank you.

TonyC5D's gear list:TonyC5D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,282Gear list
Like?
Re: re: it'd be real success story should they also have SEVEN full frame LENSES...
In reply to jpr2, 3 months ago

Careful, the true fanboys don't think anyone needslenses.  They don't actually take pictures, you know.  

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769Gear list
Like?

TonyC5D wrote:

spacemn wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

300 f2.8? 100-400 f4? In fact anything over 210 would be nice! Yes, I know they would be big compared to the alpha/NEX bodies but that that is the photographers choice. Sony are restricting their market by only offering relatively short lenses. I own the NEX 7 and love it but I just want a couple of longer lenses, not too much to ask surely! And I have tried legacy lenses, I would much prefer native with full functions thank you.

Tony - what would you gain with an e-mount version rather than the a-mount versions with an LE-EA4 adapter?  
Size would be the same (dictated by it being a 300mm focal length and f2.8 aperture) so what would you gain do you think?

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,671
Like?
Jamie: why natvie E-mount lenses over A-mount adapted?
In reply to JamieTux, 3 months ago

JamieTux wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

spacemn wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

Tony - what would you gain with an e-mount version rather than the a-mount versions with an LE-EA4 adapter?
Size would be the same (dictated by it being a 300mm focal length and f2.8 aperture) so what would you gain do you think?

the reason is pretty obvious - they claim that AF will be as quick in OSPDAF as that of a6k, which means it would be of high use... IFF true

BUT... it also means that no A-mount lenses will have an access to the OSPDAF. What EA-4 offers is anyway pretty rudimentary = entry dSLR level of performance, with focusing points huddled closely in the center.

Thus, a dearly needed, long overdue new LA-EAx adapter will be necessary - which would secure seamless OSPDAF for A-mount glass;

However... something like this wasn't even announced

jpr2

Jabba23
Like?

Those lenses are available, just need to buy the adapter and presto off you go!

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769Gear list
Like?
Re: Jamie: why natvie E-mount lenses over A-mount adapted?
In reply to jpr2, 3 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

JamieTux wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

spacemn wrote:

TonyC5D wrote:

the reason is pretty obvious - they claim that AF will be as quick in OSPDAF as that of a6k, which means it would be of high use... IFF true

BUT... it also means that no A-mount lenses will have an access to the OSPDAF. What EA-4 offers is anyway pretty rudimentary = entry dSLR level of performance, with focusing points huddled closely in the center.

Thanks jpr - but I have an A7r with LA-EA4 and an A99 - and I'm hard pressed to notice much (if any) difference in frame coverage or focus speed with the same lenses.
I get that the combination OSPDAF/CDAF in the A6000 might be quicker and I'll accept that, as well as hoping that the e-mount lenses had OSS (but that is a hope) - but Tony was asking for longer lenses with full functions for his NEX 7.

So I'm still curious as to what Tony wants from an e-mount version versus the existing a-mount lenses and adapter

Thus, a dearly needed, long overdue new LA-EAx adapter will be necessary - which would secure seamless OSPDAF for A-mount glass;

Maybe but as discussed elsewhere that's actually supposed to be a combination PDAF/CDAF system so maybe another new a-mount 300mm f2.8 but built with that in mind and a new adapter would be an equally vaild answer to the issue too?  That way they can build just one new lens and keep all customers of both systems happy.....  (Of course we all know that some on this forum will be horrified that Sony aren't launching an e-mount version and on the a-mount forum they will be equally horrified at the compromises made for the sake of e-mount compatibility!)

However... something like this wasn't even announced

jpr2

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,282Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jabba23, 3 months ago

The OSS doesn't work very well... Oh, wait, there isn't any! Perhaps that should offer a clue as to why the A mount isn't so attractive, particularly for the longer lenses. Not to mention having to buy the adapter and the lens.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Jabba23
Like?
In reply to James Sherman, 3 months ago

OSS would probably help but there are 2 vocal camps both for and against any form of vibration, then there are those that say to ramp up the shutter speed so it all depends on how you use it I guess. Looking at some photographers with their large lenses with no image stabilisation it makes you wonder how they get their shot?

You buy the adaptor once and swap the lens when you need to unless you have money to burn and $400 at a time is nothing to you.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?
Re: Jamie: why natvie E-mount lenses over A-mount adapted?
In reply to JamieTux, 3 months ago

You said it.  For the long focal lengths he mentioned, OSS would be useful and something you can't get with adapted a-mount or legacy lenses.

Tom

tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?
In reply to Jabba23, 3 months ago

Jabba23 wrote:

OSS would probably help but there are 2 vocal camps both for and against any form of vibration, then there are those that say to ramp up the shutter speed so it all depends on how you use it I guess. Looking at some photographers with their large lenses with no image stabilisation it makes you wonder how they get their shot?

You buy the adaptor once and swap the lens when you need to unless you have money to burn and $400 at a time is nothing to you.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

One place where stabilization is very useful is for panning action shots.  There you don't want a short shutter speed - so you get the streaked background.  And one of the primary selling points of the Canon system was all their 'pro' sports / wildlife stabilized lenses.

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads